• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How the fuck is Sakurai so bad at his job?

I would much rather be playing that game right now.
I can't say that about the man that gave Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-man their movesets.

I do think he's very stubborn about some design choices, either because of lack of time or ego. Auteurs are like that.

Ryce

Did the person who modded Ganondorf also have to design a full game with 16 newcomers and 35 other veterans under time constraints? That's a really dumb thing to say. I don't like Ganondorf's move set, but that doesn't mean Sakurai is bad at his job. Not nearly.

This was the same community that thought Bowser was OH MY GAWD TOO OP when he was released with a mild bump up in speed too lol

PM having Ganondorf and Ridley being competent at all does not = him being OP!

Jezan

That Samus video is awesome. I main Samus, but so many many many times I keep seeing the fucking Phantom Hit spark, it's so annoying. (Which I think I have seen it more in 4 than I ever saw it in Melee or Brawl) She is really powerful in the Metroid universe and in Smash she is weak and floaty. I mean her forward smash, ugh, and don't get me started on her dash attack.

Please Sakurai buff Samus!

Edit: I never understood why Sakurai said her forward smash animation was reworked (by adding the little explosion) to extend the hitbox, becuase clearly there is no hitbox there.

I've always felt the sword shouldn't be the entirety of Ganny's moveset (having been used to Falcondorf for so long, concepts such as the one in the video come across as awkward to me), but that magic moveset was very cool.

also karst plz

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The PM mod does make me wonder why people haven't been rallying behind Phantom Ganon as an alternative to Falcondorf. He would be a relatively easy character to make from Ganondorf's body while keeping the magic mumbo jumbo people want him to be.

Or just add the blue boar and leave Ganondorf well alone.

I would much rather be playing that game right now.
Then play it?

Also lol at the first line

That mod looks boring. Making Ganondorf do these crazy sword moves isn't much more accurate than his current move set. I'm not sure where people got this idea Ganondorf has interesting sword attacks to pull from, go watch his Twilight Princess fight. The majority of what he does in that fight he does in Smash already, just without a sword, everything else is just making stuff up. The charge is kind of cool, but Ganondorf's side special is already faithful to him.

Also the mod doesn't know what it even wants to do with Ganondorf. It can't make up its mind because Ganondorf lacks any consistent move set to pull from and clone Ganondorf is moderately liked at this point.

If any songs should be reused it should be the Mario Paint remix or their individual songs. The fact I cannot listen to the Mario Paint remix on wifi pains me to no end.
I really hope the 'each song is tied to a single stage' rule isn't something Sakurai gives that much of a shit about. The Mario Paint remix is amazing and we don't get to hear enough of it due to the weird rules behind when you can and can't use the Miiverse stage.

Plus Mario Maker more less is Mario Paint 2 at this point.

In a shocking turn of fate, turns out Smash has had 3 DKC reps since Brawl all along.

Zubz

Banned
I really hope the 'each song is tied to a single stage' rule isn't something Sakurai gives that much of a shit about. The Mario Paint remix is amazing and we don't get to hear enough of it due to the weird rules behind when you can and can't use the Miiverse stage.

In a shocking turn of fate, turns out Smash has had 3 DKC reps since Brawl all along.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind. I mean, Battlefield/Big Battlefield share music; a special case is still a case.

Also, what? No, seriously, what? So Wario's... What?!

Did the person who modded Ganondorf also have to design a full game with 16 newcomers and 35 other veterans under time constraints? That's a really dumb thing to say. I don't like Ganondorf's move set, but that doesn't mean Sakurai is bad at his job. Not nearly.
Lol. Is that really the excuse? Ganondorf has been a shitty clone for 3 games because Sakurai just hasn't had time to fix it?

If you think Sakurai is bad at his job then you are actually delusional.
Tourneys and Lobbies are pure fucking incompetence. A committee of middle schoolers would have done a better job.

There hasn't been a new and fun side game since Special Mode.

His ideas of "fun" are generally detached from reality.

Smash 4 has the most random menu system to ever plague a fighting game.

So many blunders on an established franchise.

Lol. Is that really the excuse? Ganondorf has been a shitty clone for 3 games because Sakurai just hasn't had time to fix it?

No, because despite what you want to believe, Ganondorf as he is now is actually popular and a lot of fans would feel like a character they enjoyed was cut if Ganondorf was changed completely.

No character in Smash has ever had a total redo. Not a single one of the 60 characters that have been in the series.

To expect one character to suddenly be change dramatically, despite as popular as he is, is absurd. To say Sakurai is incompetent for siding with Ganondorf fans, is childish. Read this. And stop drive by posting nonsense.

Doesn't Karsticles love Kid Icarus Uprising? I don't know, I find it kinda weird he's going on about how Sakurai is terrible at his job and then praise his other most recent game in other threads. Uprising is great but that was a game from Sakurai that came out not too long ago. I don't agree with some of Sakurai's design choices with Smash recently but I wouldn't say he's a bad game designer altogether.

Tourneys and Lobbies are pure fucking incompetence. A committee of middle schoolers would have done a better job.

There hasn't been a new and fun side game since Special Mode.

His ideas of "fun" are generally detached from reality.

Smash 4 has the most random menu system to ever plague a fighting game.

So many blunders on an established franchise.

Tourneys are pretty much your only valid complaint.

Yes, they're kind of a mess right now, but I think one might be willing to give them some time, as frustrating as it may be, to fix it. If it goes unfixed forever in the face of fan feedback then it is a problem.

Otherwise, get the fuck of your high horse. The man has crafted an experience that is unlike anything else in gaming. He's a genius, even if some (read: very few) of his decisions are frustrating. He's an amazing individual who we should consider ourselves lucky to have working on this series.

Sakurai is Smash. I'm distrustful of the ability of anyone else to consistently deliver an amazing Smash experience.

jph139

I feel like Sakurai has increasingly tended toward "guided experiences" rather than "player freedom" as his modus operandi. In a lot of ways, this is at odds with the core of Smash that we see in 64 and Melee, which are designed to be as open to player interpretation as possible; with Brawl and Smash 4, we see a lot more of "you should do this" and "you should play this way." It's still a very open system, of course, by its very nature, but it's a definite change in philosophy. It's why some modes get a ton of attention and others are marginalized or feel half-baked.

Personally, I don't mind it; as time goes on I'm more and more attracted to that approach to video games. I can see how some fans would chafe under that direction.

No, because despite what you want to believe, Ganondorf as he is now is actually popular and a lot of fans would feel like a character they enjoyed was cut if Ganondorf was changed completely.

No character in Smash has ever had a total redo. Not a single one of the 60 characters that have been in the series.

To expect one character to suddenly be change dramatically, despite as popular as he is, is absurd. To say Sakurai is incompetent for siding with Ganondorf fans, is childish. Read this. And stop drive by posting nonsense.
As a former Ganondorf main, and a Ganondorf fan, I disagree. I have spoken to a multitude of fans, and very few are happy as he is.

Sakurai is too cowardly to make major changes, I agree.

Doesn't Karsticles love Kid Icarus Uprising? I don't know, I find it kinda weird he's going on about how Sakurai is terrible at his job and then praise his other most recent game in other threads. Uprising is great but that was a game from Sakurai that came out not too long ago. I don't agree with some of Sakurai's design choices with Smash recently but I wouldn't say he's a bad game designer altogether.
He isn't a bad developer in general. But I think Melee was the last great Smash game. Sakurai has even said he would never put that much effort into balancing a Smash game again. I think he doesn't understand what makes Smash fun.

Iwata did the programming for Smash 64, IIRC.

Yes, they're kind of a mess right now, but I think one might be willing to give them some time, as frustrating as it may be, to fix it. If it goes unfixed forever in the face of fan feedback then it is a problem.

Otherwise, get the fuck of your high horse. The man has crafted an experience that is unlike anything else in gaming. He's a genius, even if some (read: very few) of his decisions are frustrating. He's an amazing individual who we should consider ourselves lucky to have working on this series.

Sakurai is Smash. I'm distrustful of the ability of anyone else to consistently deliver an amazing Smash experience.
I don't disagree with most of what you said here. But everyone peaks at some point. Miyamoto came out with Wii Music. Sakurai made Smash Brawl.

Tourneys were announced before Smash 4 came out. What the hell have they been doing all this time?

No communities, either.

We are talking about a man that simultaneously tried to resist online play in Smash and tried to snub his most dedicated fan base with poor design decisions. He just doesn't get what fans want, though he gets an A- in fan service.

J@hranimo

Banned
Sorry to be LTTP as usual with stuff in this thread, but after watching that Samus sux video...the Samus boards over there must be a dark, dark place.
Even darker than the Palutena boards post-EVO :(

Hopefully she gets addressed in future patches. If Charizard, Robin, DK and especially WFT can get some noteworthy buffs and fixes then it is possible :)

Despite some game modes being lame and Tournament mode being really shitty, Smash 4 is still a great Smash game. 2nd best one imo with Melee being the best of course.

Back on topic I suppose: Hope we get some more info about more possible stuff coming with the Mario Maker stage next week.

Samus mains in any game have always been kinda glum. The only game in which Samus was halfway decent was Melee, and that's partly because of her really great wavedash giving her massive mobility.
In every other game, she's bottom tier.

For the record I main Samus in all 4 games, and due to an issue with my joints, I have problems wavedashing so.

You are putting "changed completely" words into his mouth, he just said Ganondorf should be fixed, which is completely open to interpreting

NeonZ

Ganondorf isn't bottom tier like in Brawl, even if he's still low tier, and most of his animations are original by now. If that isn't enough, it's clear you want a complete revamp of the character. I actually want one too - doesn't matter how much it's polished, the "slow C.Falcon" basis of the character is still limiting for a Zelda fan who'd want a better representation, especially considering the lack of Zelda newcomers. Changing the animations to add a few Zelda references really doesn't change how off the basis of the character is in the first place. If at least he had added a Toon Ganondorf or Ganon that actually referenced the series, there wouldn't be much problem with keeping CF Ganondorf around, but we didn't get that either.

Sakurai has even said he would never put that much effort into balancing a Smash game again.

Yes, because he'd be using a team for balancing in SSB4, rather than doing it by himself (but then reportedly still attempted to check it all by himself anyway).

We are talking about a man that simultaneously tried to resist online play in Smash and tried to snub his most dedicated fan base with poor design decisions. He just doesn't get what fans want, though he gets an A- in fan service.

He just made it sound like a laborious effort, something he always does in interviews about many things Smash related - and it actually might be due to his heavy on hands approach too.

I disagree with some of the design choices that the series has taken (various balance problems in Brawl, no Adventure mode in SSB4, some character choices), but I get the impression from people who complain aggressively about Sakurai that you imagine whoever replaces him would magically make all your wishes come true, when that isn't guaranteed at all, especially when you look at Nintendo's other products. Smash still is pretty much the most customizable experience offered by Nintendo (aside from something like Mario Maker, obviously). Its online modes ended up inferior to Mario Kart 8's in some ways, but that game also has limitations that would be absolutely frustrating in Smash bros (like no individual item toggles) and the usual senseless character line up with its babies and random power ups as characters.

Doesn't Karsticles love Kid Icarus Uprising? I don't know, I find it kinda weird he's going on about how Sakurai is terrible at his job and then praise his other most recent game in other threads.

Don't really feel like digging the relevant posts up but I've noticed too he changes his tune about this game a lot.

One of the reasons why I don't visit the OT much.

Don't really feel like digging the relevant posts up but I've noticed too he changes his tune about this game a lot.

One of the reasons why I don't visit the OT much.
I've actually consistently said Smash 4 has problems since release. I am very consistent in my opinions. I really do dare you to find an inconsistency.

Ganondorf isn't bottom tier like in Brawl, even if he's still low tier, and most of his animations are original by now. If that isn't enough, it's clear you want a complete revamp of the character. I actually want one too - doesn't matter how much it's polished, the "slow C.Falcon" basis of the character is still limiting for a Zelda fan who'd want a better representation, especially considering the lack of Zelda newcomers. Changing the animations to add a few Zelda references really doesn't change how off the basis of the character is in the first place. If at least he had added a Toon Ganondorf or Ganon that actually referenced the series, there wouldn't be much problem with keeping CF Ganondorf around, but we didn't get that either.

Yes, because he'd be using a team for balancing in SSB4, rather than doing it by himself (but then reportedly still attempted to check it all by himself anyway).

He just made it sound like a laborious effort, something he always does in interviews about many things Smash related - and it actually might be due to his heavy on hands approach too.

I disagree with some of the design choices that the series has taken (various balance problems in Brawl, no Adventure mode in SSB4, some character choices), but I get the impression from people who complain aggressively about Sakurai that you imagine whoever replaces him would magically make all your wishes come true, when that isn't guaranteed at all, especially when you look at Nintendo's other products. Smash still is pretty much the most customizable experience offered by Nintendo (aside from something like Mario Maker, obviously). Its online modes ended up inferior to Mario Kart 8's in some ways, but that game also has limitations that would be absolutely frustrating in Smash bros (like no individual item toggles) and the usual senseless character line up with its babies and random power ups as characters.
No, I mean that in interviews, Sakurai said he didn't want online play because only local play could be fun (paraphrase).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Reading the SFV threads is refreshing since you don't see people asking for more Alpha representation, or more Super Turbo representation, or more 3rd Strike representation or whatever. People just want the characters they like because they like those characters and not to fulfill some sort of quota.

I've actually consistently said Smash 4 has problems since release. I am very consistent in my opinions. I really do dare you to find an inconsistency.

It's 2 AM so I won't bother digging through your posts (not that I'd feel invested enough to do so, anyway), but it seems every time I pop in the OT you're either threatening to quit the game or raving about it.

It's not so much you going back on your criticisms but rather it seems you wrestle with your feelings on the game a lot, so I'm not so certain your feelings on Ganondorf will matter for long.

Reading the SFV threads is refreshing since you don't see people asking for more Alpha representation, or more Super Turbo representation, or more 3rd Strike representation or whatever. People just want the characters they like because they like those characters and not to fulfill some sort of quota.
Why do you think it is different for SF fans? Good observation.

It's 2 AM so I won't bother digging through your posts (not that I'd feel invested enough to do so, anyway), but it seems every time I pop in the OT you're either threatening to quit the game or raving about it.

It's not so much you going back on your criticisms but rather it seems you wrestle with your feelings on the game a lot, so I'm not so certain your feelings on Ganondorf will matter for long.
LOL. I'm pretty sure I've never raved about this game. Like I said, on release day I was posting about the problems it has, and I still talk about them consistently.

I have quit playing the game seriously. Maybe once every week or so I will hop on and play a few matches, but I don't go to local tournaments or even play against GAF anymore. The primary reason there is that all of my characters are mid tier or worse, and I am just tired of having to work twice as hard as my opponents in every match - it's exhausting.

Now, I have definitely praised some of the buffs Sakurai has given to low tier characters. You won't succeed in finding any general raves about the game, though. I've had all the same complaints since launch:
1) Rolls are too good (just too fast, really - not even too invincible).
2) Ground movement is clunky (we need crouch cancels and instant pivots).
3) Shields are too good (cut regen by half, maybe).
4) Too little shield stun.
5) Too much landing lag in many situations.

I've become softer on 4, but I feel like 2 or 5 has to come true for the game to become good. You can literally find me posting about 1 and 3 on launch week.

If by "raving", you just mean that I get excited about beating someone good, finding new tech, etc., that definitely isn't inconsistent with thinking the game isn't good, or has numerous issues. Most Marvel players feel this way about their game. Plus, everyone thinks Ganondorf is terrible. Christ.

In the future, I suggest you either pony up some evidence or fuck off. It's really indecent to attack someone's character in such a groundless manner.

Been reading this back-and-forth argument for awhile, and I just wanted to pop in and say that you nailed it. I completely agree with you. Anyone saying that Sakurai has peaked or doesn't know how to make fun games anymore or has a flawed definition of fun might be right where their own feelings are concerned, but they are completely, objectively wrong otherwise, because many of us find Smash 4 to be the best game in the series yet and have had more fun with this game than we ever did Brawl, Melee, and 64, and that's saying a whole lot.

It's fine to have the subjective opinion that Smash 4 is shit or that Sakurai sucks at his job or has no idea what he's doing anymore, but those opinions are arrogantly being thrown around like they're facts when they really couldn't be further from that.

The vast number of people around the world having a wonderful time playing Smash 4 - no matter how they play the game - fully and utterly invalidate any claim that Sakurai doesn't know how to make a fun game or sucks at his job. Those people invalidate these claims simply by existing. People are having a lot of fun with Sakurai's newest game, therefore it is a fact that he still knows how to make fun games and does not, in fact, suck at his job - which is to make fun games that people enjoy. Pure, linear logic.

It's arguments like these that make me want to avoid SmashGAF sometimes. Whether you, or I, or anyone thinks Smash 4 is the best game in the series, the worst, or somewhere in-between, I just wish we could respect each other's (educated) feelings on the matter and stop confusing the definitions of "fact" and "opinion." And while some of us have shown that we can do this, others clearly cannot. :/

At any rate, Sakurai obviously isn't infallible, but I'm in total agreement with you in that we're incredibly lucky to have him at the helm of this series (even if a lot of us don't realize how lucky we are) and that there's no one else in the world who could accomplish what Sakurai has with this series. Not even close. He obviously won't be around to work on new Smash games forever, but I can't imagine who they're going to get to continue his legacy because he is honestly irreplaceable in terms of his attention to detail, his rock-solid understanding of Smash's most important and essential qualities (a mix of fun and competitive depth/balance over pure competitive focus), and his sheer passion for the characters he's working with and the games they come from.

Smash 4 may well be the last game in the series that Sakurai develops and directs himself, and if that turns out to be the case, Smash's future will be looking very uncertain and possibly even grim in several years. For now, I'm just thankful that Smash 4 is as fantastic as (I think) it is - and a large part of that (the largest, really) is due to Sakurai.

It really bothers me when people bring up the "facts" vs. "opinions" paradigm as though it's relevant in a forum discussion. Or anywhere, really. It has to be one of the most inane demarcations I have encountered in my life. At no point has it ever contributed to a conversation or led to a situation becoming enlightened for one of the speakers.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If Sakurai crapped out somebody like Mr. Stevenson from Gunshoe because "lol how wacky and unnexpected!", that would be the polar opposite of what fanservice is supposed to be.
While a completely random character wouldn't be fanservice, an obscure forgotten Nintendo character is still a form of fanservice. Some people like retro Nintendo.

Yes, because someone took already made assets and tweaked them they are far superior to Sakurai who has helped bring five whole Smash games to market. Sakurai is a sham. Lets have R4nd0mW3bUs3r666 take over!

It really bothers me when people bring up the "facts" vs. "opinions" paradigm as though it's relevant in a forum discussion. Or anywhere, really. It has to be one of the most inane demarcations I have encountered in my life. At no point has it ever contributed to a conversation or led to a situation becoming enlightened for one of the speakers.
What I say = fact
What others say = opinion.

It's pretty simple.

Even if Smash 4 isn't your cup of tea after craving a proper return to Melee's level of competitive depth, Uprising is already proof Sakurai still knows how to make an amazing game.

unless you really can't can't wrap your head around the weird control scheme

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Technically 4. Mario Paint 2 would be Mario Artist, a suite of games for the N64DD. 3 would be Wario Ware DIY.

Also DK vs Wario? Well we had Wario vs Bomberman back in the 90s so maybe the original idea was to have Wario as a crossover character.

Also the hilarious thing about sword using Ganondorf is that people only wanted it because of a victory animation. He had never used a sword in a single Zelda game up to that point, the closest being the GCN demo footage where his Melee model was lifted from. When he finally used a sword, Wind Waker, it wasn't even the one handed style people craved. Might as well beg for a sword wielding Zelda because she held one for three second in Twilight Princess.

NeonZ

No, I mean that in interviews, Sakurai said he didn't want online play because only local play could be fun (paraphrase).

I was talking about interviews too. Sakurai never said that he didn't want online, just that it'd be hard to implement.

Online was actually confirmed right after the game's reveal trailer. However, due to people reading too much into Sakurai's comments, they started speculating about no online.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=2576

Masahiro Sakurai: My plan is to include Wi-Fi Connection compatibility and online functionality. Actually one of the primary reasons the Super Smash Bros. game was created was that Nintendo staff both in the United States and in America [we assume he meant the US and Japan - Ed] said that when taking the home console online, the best title to do so would be Super Smash Bros. But, at the same time, I think it may be a lot of work for us to try to come up with a system that will allow four players to play simultaneously and try to find out who's number one. We're mainly focusing more along the lines of bringing lots of people in together to play simultaneously in perhaps some new and different ways.

This one was from a little later, in the Japanese Smash site before the Dojo proper opened.

http://www.1up.com/news/super-smash-bros-brawl-details

Even though online networking has already been confirmed, Sakurai isn't so quick to jump on board the now year-old announcement. His team is looking into the feature and hopes to include online play before the game ships next year, but don't expect a complex interface; for example, there are no plans for leader boards.

Combined with the previous comment, and the relatively advanced point of development by then, people just started speculating about no actual online battles in Brawl, just like how people read his comments about how he had hit his limit with Brawl as far as adding characters go and started speculating about SSB4 having less characters than Brawl. It's very common for Sakurai to talk in interviews about how hard the development process was or is going to be, and yet people seem to forget that every time.

Of course, those interviews do show that one of the problems with Smash's online system (no rankings) come from Sakurai himself.

LOL. I'm pretty sure I've never raved about this game. Like I said, on release day I was posting about the problems it has, and I still talk about them consistently.

I have quit playing the game seriously. Maybe once every week or so I will hop on and play a few matches, but I don't go to local tournaments or even play against GAF anymore. The primary reason there is that all of my characters are mid tier or worse, and I am just tired of having to work twice as hard as my opponents in every match - it's exhausting.

Now, I have definitely praised some of the buffs Sakurai has given to low tier characters. You won't succeed in finding any general raves about the game, though. I've had all the same complaints since launch:
1) Rolls are too good (just too fast, really - not even too invincible).
2) Ground movement is clunky (we need crouch cancels and instant pivots).
3) Shields are too good (cut regen by half, maybe).
4) Too little shield stun.
5) Too much landing lag in many situations.

I've become softer on 4, but I feel like 2 or 5 has to come true for the game to become good. You can literally find me posting about 1 and 3 on launch week.

If by "raving", you just mean that I get excited about beating someone good, finding new tech, etc., that definitely isn't inconsistent with thinking the game isn't good, or has numerous issues. Most Marvel players feel this way about their game. Plus, everyone thinks Ganondorf is terrible. Christ.

In the future, I suggest you either pony up some evidence or fuck off. It's really indecent to attack someone's character in such a groundless manner.

Not really sure why you're constantly framing this in "having issues =/= being good", but when you're always wondering aloud why no one posts in the OT and then constantly shitting on game in said topic, then I'm going to naturally conclude you have some bizarre love-hate relationship with it (which apparently the Marvel fanbase possesses as well).

As for general raves...would something like this count? It's probably far too peripheral considering you're suddenly framing this in a competitive Smash-only context, but the "Sakurai's team is so talented" comment strikes me.

Also, I never once mentioned Ganondorf, but it's funny you're bringing him into this considering how over a week ago I stated I could understand why people are dissatisfied with him .. It's when that's springboarded into "GOD SAKURAI IS SO BAD AT HIS JOB" nonsense people start taking issue.

At any rate, if I hurt your feelings or if I ultimately misread your posts, then I do apologize for that, but that you think I'm attacking your character just goes to show you're far too emotionally invested in this (then again, that was obvious from the start), so I see no reason to continue regardless of your response.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why do you think it is different for SF fans? Good observation.
Smash serves as a gathering point for all other Nintendo fanbases, so it's natural that agendas arise depending on where the other fans come from, and in some cases that serves as an excuse to lash at some series that have found certain success as opposed to those they support (see "too much fucking Fire Emblem!1!11!!!"). Street Fighter fans have for the most part played every Street Fighter game in order to keep up with competition, so the bias is generally not there.

NeonZ

The Street Fighter community often complains about "too much SF2!", or at least used to. Capcom has been better at more balanced character line ups lately and so those cries aren't as common anymore.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash serves as a gathering point for all other Nintendo fanbases, so it's natural that agendas arise depending on where the other fans come from, and in some cases that serves as an excuse to lash at some series that have found certain success as opposed to those they support (see "too much fucking Fire Emblem!1!11!!!"). Street Fighter fans have for the most part played every Street Fighter game in order to keep up with competition, so the bias is generally not there.

Actually did you see some posters complained about the roster for Street Fighter 5? They said that we have too many blondes in the game! Blondes Fighter 5!

Actually did you see some posters complained about the roster for Street Fighter 5? They said that we have too many blondes in the game! Blondes Fighter 5!

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to wanting someone at Capcom to address this ever so slightly by giving me back Brunette Vega.

Also the hilarious thing about sword using Ganondorf is that people only wanted it because of a victory animation. He had never used a sword in a single Zelda game up to that point, the closest being the GCN demo footage where his Melee model was lifted from. When he finally used a sword, Wind Waker, it wasn't even the one handed style people craved. Might as well beg for a sword wielding Zelda because she held one for three second in Twilight Princess.

Ganondorf hasn't even ever had a consistent fighting style in the 3 Zelda games he's been in, and the one spin-off he was in.

Which is funny because his current Smash moveset actually manages to put elements from his three main Zelda appearances, while a sword would only reference one of his appearances. He chokes like Toon Ganondorf, Ganonside and his forward air are from Ocarina of Time (along with his particle style), and the rest of his unique attacks are taken from Twilight Princess, including his Warlock Punch animation, which he does something similar in Twilight Princess.

Generally, characters in Smash represent more than one appearance. Ganondorf does that right now better than if he was pure Twilight Princess sword Ganondorf, despite having moves inspired by Captain Falcon (or taken directly from him).

Ganondorf fighting bare handed with pure power actually feels like a better foil to Link's sword. Courage with the sword, Wisdom with magic and Power with the fist. That works really well, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a more hand to hand Ganondorf at some point in the future brought into the main series.

NeonZ

Which is funny because his current Smash moveset actually manages to put elements from his three main Zelda appearances, while a sword would only reference one of his appearances.

Eh, he used swords in both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, aside from the Hyrule Warriors spin off. An original moveset wouldn't need to be tied to a single game, that's what could be so great about a heavily revamped Ganondorf. He could have attacks with one and two swords, alongside magical projectiles and even some physical attacks too (like the ground punch, running grab and kick).

As it stands, even when they attempt to reference elements from multiple games, there are always heavy compromises involved, like the drop punch being part of a grab, rather than some kind of shockwave attack. In fact, just look at Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. In spite of fighting with two heavy swords, unlike any version of Ganondorf from the main series, he still has attacks involving magic, fast sword swipes, one sword attacks and even still references Smash's Warlock Punch. His moveset covers various elements tied to Ganondorf much better than his Smash moveset, which has to settle with tweaking the existing attacks rather than designing all the attacks around Ganondorf himself.

Even the attack similar looking to the Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors actually involves him charging up an energy ball before punching it, basically mixing his charged sphere from Ocarina of Time with the Warlock Punch itself. It's that kind of thing that Ganondorf never will get in Smash due to being limited by his initial set up from Melee.

I was disappointed Ganondorf never had gauntlets as a weapon in Hyrule Warriors that let him turn into a Smash Bros inspired heavy brawler character. Seemed like a wasted concept for a super unique character in the game.

I was disappointed Ganondorf never had gauntlets as a weapon in Hyrule Warriors that let him turn into a Smash Bros inspired heavy brawler character. Seemed like a wasted concept for a super unique character in the game.

Indeed they could've given Ganondorf another weapon like gauntlets but they figured giving Link another 3 or 4 more plus DLC options as well as alternative versions of himself was more important than spreading the wealth among other characters.
(yeah I'm still disappointed)

I disagree with the idea that Sakurai cannot be replaced and it is disingenuous to claim no one can do what he does, since no one has had the chance to try (someday they will tho and I hope they feel comfortable to experiment and not just follow the past game formula)

I mean literally if you boil it down, since Brawl the formula is:
1. Add newcomers from the games you made in the interim between Smashes, token new Pokemon/FE chars, then whoever else you want
2. Tweak gameplay arbitrarily and partly based on 4-player matches to result in balance gaps like Samus based on that video plus Rosalina KOing Bowser off the top at 0% with Luma Up tilt
3. Throw on token OP new items and stages based off the first level of the newest series games, most with OP unfun hazards
4. Make some resource consuming single player mode
5. Have some gimmick where you change character stats like stickers or power ups
6. Port over a lot of stuff from Melee and Brawl in the name of nostalgia
7. Talk about how hard you are working in every interview
8. Profit

Like Sak is respectable on his effort and stuff but let's not kid ourselves that Smash is some sacred thing that no one can make but him. I bet you could get some new-school NoA Guy who grew up with Melee and Brawl and can design based on what he knows made the series fun and not just saying that 'I am making what the silent majority wants and it is my vision, if you don't like it then git out'

Please do not freak out about my thought because it is not from a place of malice it is trying to look at if Smash is as good as it can be or if it has hit a rut, that's not such a bad thing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom