• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't any room for another stage at the moment. The Super Mario Maker stage & the one that's hidden is looking to be all we're getting.
I wouldn't say that. They could easily just shrink the existing icons and add a fourth row similar to how the regular stage select screen condenses.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There isn't any room for another stage at the moment. The Super Mario Maker stage & the one that's hidden is looking to be all we're getting.
The other screen has eight rows of levels. I don't think room for icons is a problem.

Nope. Original Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina & Luma reveals didn't have it either.
Well I guess there's no point speculating with that point and the speculation already risks beings seen as a lot of conclusion jumping.

Kind of funny this stage would have been deemed fake by most people, and for pretty good reasons.

- Wrong stage select placement for both US and Japanese trailers, somewhat noticeable editing on the US trailer
- Re-used assets from Mario Maker, which itself re-uses assets from the old games
- Elements that Mario Maker doesn't have, like slopes and grassland lava pits
- Seemingly random and out of the blue and not tied to a Direct or even a proper announcement

Neoxon

I wouldn't say that. They could easily just shrink the existing icons and add a fourth row similar to how the regular stage select screen condenses.
The other screen has eight rows of levels. I don't think room for icons is a problem.
By that logic, why aren't there 2 blanks instead of one? And even then, why go through the extra trouble of hiding the third stage when they simply Photoshopped the second one? We aren't getting anymore than Super Mario Maker & the mystery stage, which basically means no characters from new franchises.

By that logic, why aren't there 2 blanks instead of one? And even then, why go through the extra trouble of hiding the third stage when they simply Photoshopped the second one? We aren't getting anymore than Super Mario Maker & the mystery stage, which basically means no characters from new franchises.
Maybe they don't have another one in place right now? Maybe they'll alternate between 2-3-2? Who knows. Acting like you do know what will or will not happen based on a broken UI thats "rules" have been bent time and time again is not exactly an ironclad argument.

It's still entirely possible we get three stages. They may have planned two trailers, one for the two stages and one for the third (if it comes with a character), and this was just the first trailer which they decided to break into two trailers for whatever reason.

It doesn't seem likely. But it's possible.

That would also explain why there's a broke URL for the other DLC stage, if they split the announcement up.

Javier

It's hilarious how every time there's a partial reveal, Smash discussion basically becomes "Jumping to Conclusions: The Topic"

Neoxon

It's still entirely possible we get three stages. They may have planned two trailers, one for the two stages and one for the third (if it comes with a character), and this was just the first trailer which they decided to break into two trailers for whatever reason.

It doesn't seem likely. But it's possible.

That would also explain why there's a broke URL for the other DLC stage, if they split the announcement up.
That is true. But like you said, it's unlikely.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Fourside for the missing Mother music and a Sim City arrangement.

Yeah, I'm thinking about that too. I bet that they are trying to get it over with Smash 64 stages. When they are done with 64 stages, they could move forward with Melee stages so that's probably why we haven't hear anything about Melee and Brawl stages. I'm not saying that it would happens but it's strange that we only get N64 and new stages.

So once again, no characters in this update?

No one really know yet. We gotta to keep our train's furnace full for next two weeks until our ride could be successful or end up in train wreck.

Brawl DLC stages seem incredibly likely, given how easy it seems to be to port Brawl assets to Smash 4.

I wonder how Fourside would work on the 3DS. It's one of the more graphically intensive Melee stages. And Brinstar and Corneria had to be trimmed back, the former by a lot, so what about a larger stage with a lot more going on in the background?

hqdefault.jpg

I imagine the Helicopter wouldn't move, and the buildings in the back would be sprites instead of models. Would the stage look too busy on the small screen?

It would look gorgeous on the Wii U though with cleaned up textures and models and maybe a new skybox with more buildings in the distance.

Brawl DLC stages seem incredibly likely, given how easy it seems to be to port Brawl assets to Smash 4.

I wonder how Fourside would work on the 3DS. It's one of the more graphically intensive Melee stages. And Brinstar and Corneria had to be trimmed back, the former by a lot, so what about a larger stage with a lot more going on in the background?

The big issue holding Brawl stages back is the 3DS and 8 player stages. I think the reason they have gone with N64 is because it's easy to make them work in both settings. With a Brawl stage, is can be ported to the 3DS/8 Player Smash, but it might require a bit more work.

Morts

hqdefault.jpg

I imagine the Helicopter wouldn't move, and the buildings in the back would be sprites instead of models. Would the stage look too busy on the small screen?

It would look gorgeous on the Wii U though with cleaned up textures and models and maybe a new skybox with more buildings in the distance.

Fourside and Great Bay are my most wanted stages. I don't expect them to happen though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The big issue holding Brawl stages back is the 3DS and 8 player stages. I think the reason they have gone with N64 is because it's easy to make them work in both settings. With a Brawl stage, is can be ported to the 3DS/8 Player Smash, but it might require a bit more work.
I think it might depend on the stage specifically. Vanilla 3DS already has Yoshi's Island, Distant Planet, Green Hill Zone, Warioware, Mushroomy Kingdom, FlatZone 2 and an updated Pictochat in its roster virtually unchanged from seven years ago. Something more demanding like Port Town is obviously a no go, however.

At least to me, on the 3DS it seems they had an easier time with the Brawl stages. YI:B and Distant Planet look basically the same as they did in Brawl, other than the Onions having really poor framerates. Distant Planet keeps its rain and items and stuff, while YI:B still has seasons and stuff moving all over the place. The rest of the Brawl stages are the same, basically unchanged.

But Corneria, Jungle Japes and Brinstar look awful. Brinstar's Chozo no longer walks which is a crime, the bottom tentacle thing was replaced with a low res sprite and overall detail is way down. Corneria's hatch in the back is a flat black texture, and the textures on the tail jet are super low res. And Jungle Japes just looks lower res overall, a lot of flattening of detail, noticeable on the out house, especially.

I'm not sure there's any rule that says DLC needs to support 8 player either. Mario Maker so far doesn't seem 8 player ready, as the spawn platforms seem like they'd be awkward with 8 of them. Miiverse also doesn't allow 8 players. Not all base game Brawl stages have 8 player support either (Halberd and Delfino).

I think both Pirate Ship and Frigate Orpheon (the two Brawl stages I believe have the best chance) could work on the 3DS. Parasite Queen is just a map prop that reacts to the stage changing, much like the giant blob in the back of Brinstar, while Pirate Ship seems like they could easily cheat the entire thing with loads of sprites in the distance, as nobody would ever notice. Phantom Hourglass managed the Great Sea on far less powerful hardware.

At least to me, on the 3DS it seems they had an easier time with the Brawl stages. YI:B and Distant Planet look basically the same as they did in Brawl, other than the Onions having really poor framerates. Distant Planet keeps its rain and items and stuff, while YI:B still has seasons and stuff moving all over the place. The rest of the Brawl stages are the same, basically unchanged.

But Corneria, Jungle Japes and Brinstar look awful. Brinstar's Chozo no longer walks which is a crime, the bottom tentacle thing was replaced with a low res sprite and overall detail is way down. Corneria's hatch in the back is a flat black texture, and the textures on the tail jet are super low res. And Jungle Japes just looks lower res overall, a lot of flattening of detail, noticeable on the out house, especially.

I'm not sure there's any rule that says DLC needs to support 8 player either. Mario Maker so far doesn't seem 8 player ready, as the spawn platforms seem like they'd be awkward with 8 of them. Miiverse also doesn't allow 8 players. Not all base game Brawl stages have 8 player support either (Halberd and Delfino).

I think both Pirate Ship and Frigate Orpheon (the two Brawl stages I believe have the best chance) could work on the 3DS. Parasite Queen is just a map prop that reacts to the stage changing, much like the giant blob in the back of Brinstar, while Pirate Ship seems like they could easily cheat the entire thing with loads of sprites in the distance, as nobody would ever notice.

Miiverse doesn't count, as it was suppose to be included in the base game and wasn't sold separately. So far every stage they've sold has been 8 Player ready, and able to run on the 3DS. I still think we'll see 8 Player Super Mario Maker stage (the spawned platforms will probably under or above). Some of the stages shown in the video do seem like they could be wide enough for 8 players. Of course...like you pointed out, this is just an observation and not a steadfast rule (like the stage selection screen order).

I'm personally hoping for Pirate Ship, as I love that stage! Frigate Orpheon is another good choice. I dont know if we'll see Great Bay, or Saffron City 64 as Tingle and the other Pokemon have roles a bit different than Dedede/background Dedede. Tingle and the other Pokemon could appear at any time. Of course, they could always decide if they appear or not based on items.

If they ever bring back Fourside, I wonder if they'll fix that bizarre floor glitch...thing behind the leftmost building. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zubz

Banned
Just want Fourside so we can get some Earthbound rips.

Definitely. I love how clear it is that the buildings in the background are just floating, rectangular boxes that fade out near the bottom, looking back. As a kid, it really felt like Fourside was a huge city, but then I saw 2 players agree to pick it at a Melee tournament last year. Man, I love that level, and the knowledge that Nintendo can use EarthBound's soundtrack again makes me want them to use it!

Honestly, though, even if we're getting one new stage, I don't think the mysterious "DLC Stage 4" on the site is a new one. My money's on Venom/Sector Z (64) or Saffron City (64). Based on the Stage Select Screen in the US trailer, we're only getting one extra stage. Between that and the Reddit speculation, I don't think the new stage is tied to a new character unless that character isn't getting a stage. If a new character isn't getting a stage, then I'd assume (s)he's from an already-repped series (And I feel like K. Rool would come with a stage). So unless we're getting Wolf, I doubt we're getting anything more than another couple of stages/costumes.

Which honestly sucks, because I just sold myself on the Explodatorium last night (Just watch it get in and become the most balanced new stage in the game)!

I'm tired of Smash 64 stages. I didn't want any of them to come back anyways save Dreamland. Please, if they're going to bring back another stage NO. MORE. 64. STAGES!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do you guys think Wolf will keep his Brawl design, or will he use whatever his SF0 design is? I wonder if that's the reason they haven't announced him yet.

Brawl, with some minor 643D touches to be consistent with Fox and Falco. When I say minor, I mean, barely noticeable stuff, like subtle color tweaks.

Probably brightened up significantly, given more realistic fur, make his scouter smaller and maybe adjust his head shape a bit. Similar stuff that Fox and Falco got.

Zubz

Banned
I'm tired of Smash 64 stages. I didn't want any of them to come back anyways save Dreamland. Please, if they're going to bring back another stage NO. MORE. 64. STAGES!

They can stop after we get Saffron City. I got the other 3 that I like, so after Saffron City, I'm good with them stopping. The problem is that I feel like, at this rate, we'll get it alongside the other 4 remaining stages to just give us every N64 stage. Maybe even throw in Metal Caverns, and make it an 8-Player Map despite it being too small for 4-Players. I know I'll buy it anyway, but I'm not alone in not wanting Planet Zebes to ever come back, am I?

Do you guys think Wolf will keep his Brawl design, or will he use whatever his SF0 design is? I wonder if that's the reason they haven't announced him yet.

I think they might give him his Zero design to get people interested in the game. I mean, I doubt that's the reason that we haven't seen Wolf in either game yet, but it'd make sense to wait to reveal him in Zero before revealing him for Smash.

I'll accept Zebes if it keeps it's hilariously overpowered acid.

I never liked Wolf's Brawl render. Something about the angle of his head felt off at the time, it makes it look different than his head looks in-game. I think it's the lighting on the side of his head, it makes it look kind of square almost?
240px-Wolf_SSBB.jpg

His pose was fairly boring and stiff too, so it'll be nice to see him in Smash 4's more dynamic poses.

The funny thing about Fourside is that aside from the Monotoli building, it looks almost nothing like the actual city.

Anyway, as far as 64 stages go, I only want Sector Z back. I suddenly find myself missing Melee stages.

The funny thing about Fourside is that aside from the Monotoli building, it looks almost nothing like the actual city.

A lot of Melee stages were more "inspired by" and not really all that accurate. It wasn't really until Brawl that they started ripping assets directly from games for stages, so the stages all had to be designed by hand and interpreted things differently than the sprites might have shown. Brawl did have a few of these stages though (Orpheon and Spear Pillar for example).

I think that's why a lot of people call Melee's stages the best. Because they were taking previously 2D only areas and re-imagining them in 3D. They were new and different looking. Locations like Temple, Fountain of Dreams, Fourside, Onett, Brinstar and Icicle Mountain hadn't ever left 2D, and so seeing them remastered in glorious 3D was a sight to see. Versus Brawl, where most games were now in 3D, so there really wasn't a need to recreate them. You had stuff like Spear Pillar, Norfair and New Pork City, but overall, the stages were far more accurate to their original designs (in some cases, like Eldin, ripped entirely).

They can stop after we get Saffron City. I got the other 3 that I like, so after Saffron City, I'm good with them stopping. The problem is that I feel like, at this rate, we'll get it alongside the other 4 remaining stages to just give us every N64 stage. Maybe even throw in Metal Caverns, and make it an 8-Player Map despite it being too small for 4-Players. I know I'll buy it anyway, but I'm not alone in not wanting Planet Zebes to ever come back, am I?

Only if we get some Pokémon Trading Card music.

https://youtu.be/fHqisfjEEJw

Otherwise, just give me Fourside to satisfy my skyscraper itch.

EulaCapra

Hopefully we get a Direct or character announcements within the next two weeks. And then October 3rd is when it's all available.

I don't know how I've managed to survive this thread since June...

Maybe one balance patch but two separate content updates??? Or does it have to update balance every time there's new content??

They're not going to ever patch the game within a few days of itself unless there's an emergency technical issue, and even when there is, it's usually a week or more later that it's fixed (Peach online ban bug, Mewtwo online ban bug).

Sakurai said awhile ago they can't do a lot of patches in rapid succession because a lot of people have unreliable internet on the 3DS and the 3DS wasn't really made for many patches.

"[the 3DS] isn’t suited for successive downloads, and there are people who don’t have Wi-Fi in their homes and go to convenience stores to connect, so we made sure to put a lot of forethought into the process.”

Also I'm apparently famous

Samus feels so awful in SSB4, I can't for the life of me figure out why they thought nearly any of the balancing decisions around her were a good idea.

I know that feel. My character (Palutena) has to rely on a banned feature to not be considered one of the worst in the game.

You could argue that at least she has a way of escaping low tier, unlike Zelda or Samus, but considering where customs lay in the competitive scene, it hardly matters.

Oh well. At least I still have those 1v1 Custom Glory tournies...all filled with hilariously unbalanced bullshit thanks to Sakurai roping equipment in with custom moves. I sure do love trying to KO a character with a 100+ defensive equipment on.

Golnei

pretty sure samus being absolute shit in smash 4 is an intentional reference to Other M's quality

And Shadow Moses Island and Snake being cut was actually a deliberate ruse by Kojima and Sakurai to make the players feel a ~phantom pain~. Such deep meta-commentary; Kojima is truly a master of his craft.

woopWOOP

Man, I always thought my aim was just off.
Still like playing as her though.
You know a character isn't great when a tool tip talks about how bad one of your moves is.
Ha, I want to read this.
In fact, is there a place that has all the messages written out? Some of them seem interesting, but usually the loading's done before I have the chance of reading it through.

Standard Attack – Foes can often put up their shields in between the first and second hits of this combo. It's safer to just hit with the first attack and then flee.

This one

Why even make a jab multi hit if it can't hit twice? Ganondorf and Roy manage without multi hit jabs...

I played as Olimar yesterday in Mario Maker and he has his proper voice. I get why he has no voice in Smash, I assume because his helmet is supposed to be blocking the sound, but it's never worked that way in Pikmin games. We always hear him, despite the helmet. I like Olimar's voice, it's always funny to hear the super deep low pitch voice from a tiny little character.

I think Mario Maker will be the first stage to re-use music, but not really and only on a technicality.

I believe several of the songs on the stage will change with the theme. Much like Dreamland 3DS, the songs would also all be in sound test separately.

I was thinking they'd do

- Overworld (Remix). Basically four remixes, considering that, it would be the only remix on the stage
- Overworld (Original). This is where music repeats. NSMBU and SMB3 music is used already, however, in Sound Test, these would be "Overworld (SNMBU)" but the original game would be listed as Mario Maker, technically not making it the same song.
- Overworld Editor (Original). Same, changes depending on the theme the stage picked.
- Overworld V2. From Brawl
- Underground. From Brawl/3DS
- Mario Maker Main Theme (Original)

On the 3DS the two songs would be Overworld (Remix) and Overworld (Original)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom