• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Honestly? I'd rather have Yooka-Laylee in the game instead of Banjo, but only when Yooka-Laylee actually comes out. I'd rather Nintendo work with Playtonic since they actually wanna do stuff with Nintendo.
I'd rather not have Playtronic developed games being exclusive to Nintendo systems.

Sponge

Banned
I'd rather not have Playtronic developed games being exclusive to Nintendo systems.

I wasn't implying that at all? I probably wasn't clear. Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man arn't Nintendo first parties and they are in Smash. All I was implying is that Yooka-Laylee will actually be on the Wii U. When I said work with Nintendo, I meant more so these guys want to have their game on Nintendo's console. They also want a Yooka-Laylee amiibo. Nintendo is never getting another Banjo game and we don't even know if Banjo has a future.

Dr. Buni

I wasn't implying that at all? I probably wasn't clear. Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man arn't Nintendo first parties and they are in Smash. All I was implying is that Yooka-Laylee will actually be on the Wii U. When I said work with Nintendo, I meant more so these guys want to have their game on Nintendo's console. They also want a Yooka-Laylee amiibo. Nintendo is never getting another Banjo game and we don't even know if Banjo has a future.
Alright then.

I remember some people wanting Yooka-Laylee to be a Nintendo-exclusive game, so maybe that could have been what you meant by your previous post.

Sponge

Banned
Alright then.

I remember some people wanting Yooka-Laylee to be a Nintendo-exclusive game, so maybe that could have been what you meant by your previous post.

There was a lot of those back when the game was just known as Project Ukelele. I admittedly was one of them. A few days later I realized how shortsighted that is. Rare was best when they were making the games they wanted to. The more freedom Playtonic has, and the more people that can enjoy their games, the better.

But yeah, crossing my fingers for some costumes tonight but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The July 30 DLC was announced on Twitter at 3:00 AM ET, which leaves us another five hours.

Ah, so I was right. All aboard the Mii hype train since any characters will most likely be saved for last.

You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.
There is no way they will launch without a character for the second time in a row. None. I refuse to believe that. It has been so unbelievably long since the last character. There has to be a new one. They wouldn't do another DLC update with nothing in it (since let's be real Mii Suits and stages are nothing) so they can' possibly troll again.

I've saved $10 since that maintenance and I can't hold onto my money. It has to come out this time or else I'm spending it on 3DS Themes. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Think about it this way: getting only the SMM stage this Wednesday won't feel as bad as when the ballot closes and all we get is a generic "thank you for voting, please wait for results to be announced" message in its place.

kirby_fox

Banned
At the least, I would expect Mii costumes. The only update without Mii costumes was Mewtwo.

Marketing-wise, they would want to show any extra DLC at the right time in order for the most people to learn about it before release. The best time for a US info dump is actually early morning-- most people see it before they head off to work. If they saw that stages sold better in Japan, while the US did better with character sales-- it makes sense to wait until Monday morning then to capture as wide of an audience as possible. 6 AM EDT is 7 PM in Japan. The info would still spread West to California as people wake up to it.

This can be especially true if they're announcing a Western-focused character.

Zubz

Banned
At the least, I would expect Mii costumes. The only update without Mii costumes was Mewtwo.

Marketing-wise, they would want to show any extra DLC at the right time in order for the most people to learn about it before release. The best time for a US info dump is actually early morning-- most people see it before they head off to work. If they saw that stages sold better in Japan, while the US did better with character sales-- it makes sense to wait until Monday morning then to capture as wide of an audience as possible. 6 AM EDT is 7 PM in Japan. The info would still spread West to California as people wake up to it.

This can be especially true if they're announcing a Western-focused character.

I'm sorry, man, but I doubt they plan that far in advance. Besides, I think all the DLC does better here; I don't think Smash is as popular in Japan as it is here.

Clearly, there was supposed to be another stage coming, but there's nothing else but Mario Maker now. I see this as a good sign, though! I mean, Mario Maker was probably bumped up to be released within a month of the game itself, but if they're saving the rest of the update, there's a chance that they could be prepping for a Direct in October!

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm sorry, man, but I doubt they plan that far in advance. Besides, I think all the DLC does better here; I don't think Smash is as popular in Japan as it is here.

Clearly, there was supposed to be another stage coming, but there's nothing else but Mario Maker now. I see this as a good sign, though! I mean, Mario Maker was probably bumped up to be released within a month of the game itself, but if they're saving the rest of the update, there's a chance that they could be prepping for a Direct in October!

I'd still expect Mii costumes. Not that I care about them personally. Haven't bought one.

What makes less sense to me is the timing. SMM released on 9/11, trailer for the stage on 9/14, stage however isn't out until 9/30 while the vote ends a few days later. Stage could've released 9/15 and been fine coming alone. Marketing wise, that's what you want to do-- SMM releases, stage announced, stage released super quick to capitalize on cross-promotion.

Waiting until the vote is almost over...marketing-wise it seems suspicious, but it's Nintendo.

Gleethor

I don't see the point of bumping up a single stage if you have more DLC the next month. The SMM stage is still coming weeks after the game its based on has launched, so its not that much more timely than if it released next month. Why do more patches (and more QA) than you need to?

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't see the point of bumping up a single stage if you have more DLC the next month. The SMM stage is still coming weeks after the game its based on has launched, so its not that much more timely than if it released next month. Why do more patches (and more QA) than you need to?

You're doubting Sakurai and Nintendo decisions. I like that.

Might as well stay up the night to see a whole lot of nothing happen! :p

kirby_fox

Banned
You're doubting Sakurai and Nintendo decisions. I like that.

Might as well stay up the night to see a whole lot of nothing happen! :p

I prefer the "go to bed if you have nothing to do and wake up to it in the morning if it is anything" route myself.

Considering how quiet it gets around this time, I feel like others have already gone to bed.

J@hranimo

Banned
I prefer the "go to bed if you have nothing to do and wake up to it in the morning if it is anything" route myself.

Considering how quiet it gets around this time, I feel like others have already gone to bed.

Well I'm marathoning a show on Netflix, so I'll be up late...I'm honestly not expecting much either but if there is something then cool.

Richie

Rational!Me says nothing beyond the stage is going to happen. That this train is wasting is fuel choo-choo-ing its way to a place that doesn't exist.

GAF!Me, on the other hand...

1625478_866554090035186_7967762090248576349_n.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You have NoE that have been trigger happy with announcements lately and they've just gotten to the office. There you go, your hype can continue for some hours more.

Javier

https://twitter.com/intergrow/status/648365975595716609

Intergrow, who is publishing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in Japan this November, is encouraging Japanese fans to vote for Shantae in the Smash Ballot.

大乱闘スマブラ参戦ファイターにシャンティを投票しよう!
このツイートをRTしてくれた方1名に『シャンティ -海賊の呪い-』製品版とシャンティ生みの親のMatt Bozon氏のイラスト&サイン入りジャケットをつけて一名様にプレゼント!#スマブラ投稿拳 #Shantae4Smash

So in addition to some other unused costumes in Mario Maker, there's a solo Popo costume, or at least, sound effects for one, labeled as just Popo, not Ice Climbers. This second batch of unused characters appears further along than the jokey first batch, as these ones have sound files, rather than only text references.

Which is kind of weird, since they could have easily just put Nana behind Popo's sprite, like they do for the Pikmin costume. The costume is also known as Popo, where I would have expected it to be called Ice Climber, as Popo is a made up Smash name and requires some mild European localization (Pepe in German), where Ice Climber does not.

Mario Maker costumes obviously don't translate directly to Smash characters, but if they are/were planning a solo Popo DLC (which had been tossed around a lot as an idea in the community), they could have made some placeholder data for Mario Maker for the eventual addition of it. They also would have wanted to hold it back from the initial release of Mario Maker, so it could be unlocked with an Amiibo later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom