• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Solo Popo is the one alteration to an existing character that I can't fathom the community ever cwlebrating. Ice Climbers without the AI partner just aren't the same character at all

Solo Popo is the one alteration to an existing character that I can't fathom the community ever cwlebrating. Ice Climbers without the AI partner just aren't the same character at all

No, but at least the characters themselves would be back.

The community are the ones that seem to be suggesting a solo Ice Climber.

Personally I want the Ice Climbers back, not one Ice Climber.

That's not going to happen though, so one game with just one Ice Climber might be worth it, just to have a vague representation of their moveset back, along with the entire ICs universe.

Dr. Buni

I know, but I can wait until Smash 5 to have them back. Though at the same time, I am not entirely against solo Popo/Nana. It's just not what I want.

Also, assuming they bring back Ice Climbers as "Ice Climber", what would they do in the next game? Remove solo Ice Climber and introduce Ice ClimberS again? Keep both?

I'd rather wait until Smash 5 to get the ICs back.

The thing is, if we really did go the Solo Climber route, that'd probably mean we'd lose the Ice Climbers duo gimmick for all eternity. For example, I can't see Pokemon Trainer ever being revisited now that Charizard is his own character.

I know, but I can wait until Smash 5 to have them back. Though at the same time, I am not entirely against solo Popo/Nana. It's just not what I want.

Also, assuming they bring back Ice Climbers as "Ice Climber", what would they do in the next game? Remove solo Ice Climber and introduce Ice ClimberS again? Keep both?

The name change would only be for everyone but Japan. They've always been known as Ice Climber in Japan, so as far as they would be concerned, it was the same character.

I think they'd treat Solo Popo as a vet, and if ICs work fine in Smash 5, just go back to the old moveset. If they don't work again, they'd have a backup to at least include the character. There's no guarantees Smash 5 would be able to handle ICs, especially if they try and go all out and make every stage work with 8 player or something like that.

Really, only Popo's up special would need to be changed. Other than that, he can work 100% exactly the same, besides being solo.

Dr. Buni

The name change would only be for everyone but Japan. They've always been known as Ice Climber in Japan, so as far as they would be concerned, it was the same character.

I think they'd treat Solo Popo as a vet, and if ICs work fine in Smash 5, just go back to the old moveset. If they don't work again, they'd have a backup to at least include the character. There's no guarantees Smash 5 would be able to handle ICs, especially if they try and go all out and make every stage work with 8 player or something like that.

Really, only Popo's up special would need to be changed. Other than that, he can work 100% exactly the same, besides being solo.
I see.

Still, I like Nana. I don't want to play "solo Popo". Even though Nana would probably be an alt if "solo Popo" was a thing, "solo Popo" doesn't sit right with me. Also, the Ice Climber duo gimmick was their defining characteristic. Losing that gimmick would be a shame. It would be like having Duck Hunt as only the dog, without the duck and the hunter in the package.

jph139

"Solo Ice Climber" feels a lot like "downgrade to alt" to me. I doubt Sakurai would disappoint fans by including a gimped version of the character, even if it means they have to sit a game out.

Crayolan

I don't care about the Ice Climbers as a character, I care about them as a mechanic. If you don't bring back the unique 2 character gimmick then there's really no point.

Implying anyone played the original Ice Climber game

With jumping mechanics that actually make sense and aren't a frustrating mess, Ice Climber would have been a pretty decent game.

I don't care about the Ice Climbers as a character, I care about them as a mechanic. If you don't bring back the unique 2 character gimmick then there's really no point.

I care more about Ice Climbers as a character. It doesn't feel right to not have some sort of Ice Climbers character.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I care more about Ice Climbers as a character. It doesn't feel right to not have some sort of Ice Climbers character.
This sounds a lot like the reasoning I hear elsewhere for not wanting Snake back in. Who cares about an original moveset when the character didn't fit Smash's kid friendly aesthetic?

A lot of people's justification for characters being included or not seems to fall down on what "feels" right. It is an argument I have never agreed on.

Dr. Buni

I almost said I don't get the idea of wanting a character back (Ice Climbers) because of their mechanics and not because of the character themselves, but then I realized the only thing I want back from Snake is his moveset. I don't really care about Snake or MGS.

Zubz

Banned
https://twitter.com/intergrow/status/648365975595716609

Intergrow, who is publishing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in Japan this November, is encouraging Japanese fans to vote for Shantae in the Smash Ballot.

WayForward's doing the same thing, too. It's interesting; every other company has given up on rallying Ballot votes. It makes sense that some companies would give up, like Konami and... Whoever owned that Online-only F2P MMO guy, and I know many are thinking that Yacht Club went silent because Shovel Knight got in. However, WayForward's the only team gunning for that late vote.

I don't know how that bodes for the character. On the one hand, if they're pushing people to vote, that means the DLC team probably isn't adding Shantae. On the other, if they're still rallying the vote, maybe they have reason to believe she has a chance? Like, maybe someone at the Nindie event let slip that she's under consideration to Matt Bozon, or they saw the Shovel Knight rumor and are capitalizing off of that with their older Indie character?

... Or maybe Nintendo already approached WF for something small like a remix or a Mii Costume so they know their foot's in the door?

If Snake ever comes back, they better bring Snake Eater WITH lyrics this time. ��

It wasn't tripping, or Meta Knight's balance, or the Subspace Emissary: the fact they got the instrumental of Snake Eater is Brawl's greatest mistake. It's not even tied to Sakurai's disgust towards songs that have lyrics; Calling to the Night had vocals! I just don't get why they'd bother to get one of the best songs in video game history, and then remove the part that made it great.

Not to mention his Codecs.
They eat the Guidances for breakfast.

The Codecs had 5 characters (Snake, Colonel Campbell, Mei Ling, Otacon, and Slippy Toad) and obviously a lot more work went into it.

Guidance was meh. I liked that they added in some KI:U epilogue but it lack that same charm. Just feels like it was added on because it was in KI:U.

They're not going to bother with codecs if Snake comes back. Not only is it tons of work and money for DLC, but Campell's Japanese voice actor is dead, so they probably don't want to re-use the old codecs either.

Or if they do, it'll be MG and MG2 style, just plain text. Although that would be pretty cool, but some of the music would be weird on a MG or MG2 style stage.

The best thing about the characters talking in KI:U was other characters jumping into the conversation. Imagine how much better it would be if the person they were talking about decided to say their piece as well complete with their own KI:U-styled portraits.

I'd argue that the best Guidance is Robin's because it breaks up the Pit/Palutena/Viridi gossip corner by adding in Chrom.

kirby_fox

Banned
Since we got a trailer for the Zelda game this morning...I'm not giving up hope.

Hell, I half expect right before launching they throw out a trailer.

Only expecting mii costumes though. Maybe another stage.

Neoxon

Since we got a trailer for the Zelda game this morning...I'm not giving up hope.

Hell, I half expect right before launching they throw out a trailer.

Only expecting mii costumes though. Maybe another stage.
We're definitely getting another stage.

rQXduoT.png

Richie

The Codecs had 5 characters (Snake, Colonel Campbell, Mei Ling, Otacon, and Slippy Toad) and obviously a lot more work went into it.

Guidance was meh. I liked that they added in some KI:U epilogue but it lack that same charm. Just feels like it was added on because it was in KI:U.

Agree 100%. But even without the guests, the writing is just very hit and miss in the Guidances, whereas the Codecs were much more consistent in quality.

They're not going to bother with codecs if Snake comes back. Not only is it tons of work and money for DLC, but Campell's Japanese voice actor is dead, so they probably don't want to re-use the old codecs either.

Or if they do, it'll be MG and MG2 style, just plain text. Although that would be pretty cool, but some of the music would be weird on a MG or MG2 style stage.

If Snake ever returns, yeah, text-only may be the only way to go about it, as much of a step down as it'd feel coming from Brawl's voiced ones.

The best thing about the characters talking in KI:U was other characters jumping into the conversation. Imagine how much better it would be if the person they were talking about decided to say their piece as well complete with their own KI:U-styled portraits.

I'd argue that the best Guidance is Robin's because it breaks up the Pit/Palutena/Viridi gossip corner by adding in Chrom.

Robin's is definitely the best. Not only the most dynamic as you mention, but one of the few that really got hilarious. Poor Chrom is granted absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.

More guests would have definitely spiced things up (I'd have killed for, say, Cranky Kong on DK's convo or Resetti in Villager's), but another thing that brings these down is their insistence on giving boring gameplay tips. Generic advice for the most part and does a great disservice to Palutena, whom in some Guidances is less a character and more a green-haired Wikipedia. To the point of making her a straight woman to Viridi's quirkyness.

I was expecting with Shulk's Guidance to have Dunban or Riki to butt in on their conversation since they're in Shulk's final smash like Chrom and Robin's. Nope, they just make Pit quote Reyn.

For that matter, they could've done so much more with the actors they had, Doc Louis for Little Mac's conversation, reference Snake's codecs some more by having Slippy show up in Falco's guidance, have Lucina talk with Palutena, the Wii Fit Trainers talk about fitness with Pit.

Ryce

Do you guys really care that much about the guidances? I'm obsessed with the game, and even I've only seen a few of them in-game. I've probably used the non-Omega form of Palutena's Temple five times in the last year.

Do you guys really care that much about the guidances? I'm obsessed with the game, and even I've only seen a few of them in-game. I've probably used the non-Omega form of Palutena's Temple five times in the last year.

It pretty much ensures Palutena's Temple will never return to Smash, so it has that going for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the only stage I have never ever actually played on outside of events is Great Cave Offensive. Palutena's temple is at least a riot with friends and items.

Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive not being in Classic or All Star means I have barely ever been on them. Sadly, Temple is in this pile too, as I actually enjoy that stage, but 75M isn't, weirdly, despite also being a large stage.

Both have nice Omegas though.

Why would they? The Star Fox conversations didn't stop Corneria or Lylat Cruise coming back.

The Star Fox conversations aren't specific to certain fighters. They're not going to re-record all new guidances for new comers in Smash 5.

PK Gaming

Not to mention his Codecs.
They eat the Guidances for breakfast.

What?!? No they don't.

Go back and compare the two; the Guidances generally have a much higher quality to them. The problem with the Brawl codecs is that the voice acting on the MGS characters were atrocious (actually the voice acting in Brawl sucked in general; the voice director was really bad, haha) and the writing is nowhere near as charming as the original MGS series. I didn't notice at first, but after having actually played through the MGS series, it's super jarring.

The guidances have better voice acting, better writing and more personality. To name a few, Robin's, Ganondorf, Doctor Mario, Luigi are all super fun and memorable. The Brawl codecs generally miss the mark and rely on cheap MGS jokes (instead of going for the obvious Liquid Snake parallel/reference Luigi codec, they make a random La Le Li Lo Lu reference).

Palutena's Temple would be so much better if it were just the platform that comes down on that upper-left portion of the stage

9f7COod.png

Coincidentally, Hyrule Temple also has the same deal, the upper-left portion of the stage would be fine on its own

kn3HXp7.png

Omegas are just a bad/boring band-aid solution to fixing stages, it hurts my local play for smash, so much so that EVERY stage that isn't an omega form, even the more legal stages like Battlefield, Final Destination (how is that banned, I dunno), Smashville, can't they just play something else besides a flat platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom