• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can argue about K Rool and Dixie until the cow's come home but it doesn't matter. The moment Sakurai saw my genius Mr Magician idea he closed the ballot internally and got straight to work.

Dr. Buni

There's no way Nintendo isn't aware there are people out there who want the Kremlings back.

I quite liked the Tiki's and thought the Snowmads were great enemies, but if Retro really has such an issue with reusing Rare's enemies than like, just redesign them or something. It's telling how popular K. Rool's been in this ballot despite not being in Returns or Tropical Freeze at all.
Unfortunately, it's one thing to be aware of the Kremlings' popularity and an entirely different thing to bring them back because of their popularity.

howlingwolf.jpg

Will the wolves howl this week?

There's no way Nintendo isn't aware there are people out there who want the Kremlings back.

I quite liked the Tiki's and thought the Snowmads were great enemies, but if Retro really has such an issue with reusing Rare's enemies than like, just redesign them or something. It's telling how popular K. Rool's been in this ballot despite not being in Returns or Tropical Freeze at all.

Yea the ballot can be the tipping point for Kremlings to be back, since Retro Studios loves their fans and brings back things like David Wise to make them happy :)

Ryce

It's starting to feel like the Mario Maker stage is all we're getting this week. We're less than three days away from its release, and character/stage DLC has never been announced on such short notice before.

It's starting to feel like the Mario Maker stage is all we're getting this week. We're less than three days away from its release, and character/stage DLC has never been announced on such short notice before.

Except they've announced non-DLC characters on this short notice before (Robin and Lucina). They've even had entire directs announced with less time. There's a long list of "they've never done this before" that they then turn around and do exactly that.

I just don't really see any reason why they'd wait three weeks after announcing something before releasing it if that was literally the only piece of DLC. This, of course, is also ignoring the weird placeholder for another stage on the website, and the clearly photoshopped trailer to remove the other stage.

Ryce

Except they've announced non-DLC characters on this short notice before (Robin and Lucina).
We were given a three day notice on the Robin and Lucina announcement; we've passed that threshold, prompting me to make that post. It's now Monday in Japan, which is cutting it very close.

It could always turn out that 1)the stage select screen just looks like that for some reason, and 2)they retroactively decided that Suzaku Castle was "stage_04" for arbitrary reasons.

It could always turn out that 1)the stage select screen just looks like that for some reason, and 2)they retroactively decided that Suzaku Castle was "stage_04" for arbitrary reasons.

Neither of these make any sense.

The Japanese trailer Stage Select Screen is 100% wrong. Stages will never organize like that because we know exactly what the stage arrangement looks like with that many stages. You can replicate that stage count exactly just by not owning any DLC, and all stages unlocked (so what it looked like for the 8 months before we had stage DLC). And they don't arrange like that.

Suzaku Castle being stage 4 makes 0 sense what so ever and is outright contradicted with the way Sazaku's images are labeled already and would mean Suzaku castle was planned for release after the other two 64 stages, when every other piece of evidence and game data says otherwise.

Ryce

What if Nintendo wanted Sakurai to release the Mario Maker stage as close to the game’s launch as possible? It might have initially been planned for a later October release with some other content before being repackaged as standalone DLC.

What if Nintendo wanted Sakurai to release the Mario Maker stage as close to the game’s launch as possible? It might have initially been planned for a later October release with some other content before being repackaged as standalone DLC.

Then why wait three weeks after announcing it?

Well it's worth noting this maintenance is the largest Smash has has since E3.

It's scheduled for an hour and a half, rather than the usual hour for the last update (and Mewtwo).

So it would be weird to only have one stage take an hour an half, plus all of the other random coincidences that point at more stuff.

Zubz

Banned
Well it's worth noting this maintenance is the largest Smash has has since E3.

It's scheduled for an hour and a half, rather than the usual hour for the last update (and Mewtwo).

So it would be weird to only have one stage take an hour an half, plus all of the other random coincidences that point at more stuff.

Maybe it's because the stage has so many random elements, and thus requires more maintenance? Or maybe it'll be like that one pre-Lucas update and they'll start sliding in some placeholder data, too?

I hate to say it, but I'm not even feeling a second stage right now. They were clearly hiding one in that trailer, but we're not going to see it until later. I think people're right about them pushing the Mario Maker stage out the door to be closer to the game's launch, while they wait until an October Direct to announce the rest of what was originally meant to be a bundle.

Maybe the stage is tied to a character, like the Flying Kroc, Sector Z, or the Explodatorium?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Who know? *shrugs* At least, we should hear something from Nintendo tonight if we are going to get anything more than a stage. Basically it's our deadline to see if we are going to get more than just Mario Maker stage.

Neither of these make any sense.

The Japanese trailer Stage Select Screen is 100% wrong. Stages will never organize like that because we know exactly what the stage arrangement looks like with that many stages. You can replicate that stage count exactly just by not owning any DLC, and all stages unlocked (so what it looked like for the 8 months before we had stage DLC). And they don't arrange like that.

Suzaku Castle being stage 4 makes 0 sense what so ever and is outright contradicted with the way Sazaku's images are labeled already and would mean Suzaku castle was planned for release after the other two 64 stages, when every other piece of evidence and game data says otherwise.

Not everything that need to make a sense. I found it odd that we only got ONE 64 stage for initial release so it made me wonder if Sakurai originally planning to include 4 Smash 64 stages in the game but they couldn't able to complete it due to time constricts.

Neoxon

Ok? In a post-Directs Nintendo, announcements are weird and unpredictable.
You act as if Directs are never coming back.

As for more DLC, we're at least getting a second stage. But seeing as the stage was listed separately, I doubt that we'll get a character from a new franchise (as stated before). But characters from franchises already in Smash 4, like Wolf, have a shot to be in this update.

PK Gaming

So... i'm kinda lost here. Was there any indication that we might getting Wolf at all? It feels like everyone here is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Or maybe a Nintendo Direct gets announced tomorrow to air on Tuesday announcing a new character!

Well, it don't have to be Direct. It could be just SmashBros.com trailer like Robin.

So... i'm kinda lost here. Was there any indication that we might getting Wolf at all? It feels like everyone here is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

That's SmashGAF Hype to you! I'm expecting to get Super Mario Maker stage! and Isaac Mi Costume ;_;

TDLink

There's no rhyme or reason to anything they do with the DLC. There is nothing saying it couldn't still happen. Roy and Ryu were officially announced and then subsequently released on that same day. The last wave of DLC was announced only two days before it launched. Anything can happen. There is no "deadline" other than the actual time of the patch. I don't see why some of you set these arbitrary make or break dates and times.

Neoxon

There's no rhyme or reason to anything they do with the DLC. There is nothing saying it couldn't still happen. Roy and Ryu were officially announced and then subsequently released on that same day. The last wave of DLC was announced only two days before it launched. Anything can happen. There is no "deadline" other than the actual time of the patch. I don't see why some of you set these arbitrary make or break dates and times.
That's true, but we've been through too much disappointment since the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update to where it's understandable if we're a bit apprehensive. That being said, the way that the second stage was listed & spaced in the trailer does give us an idea of what to expect (I.E. no new characters from new franchises not already represented in Smash 4, like Shovel Knight, in this update).

Ryce

Roy and Ryu were officially announced and then subsequently released on that same day.
That presentation was announced six days in advance, though. Every wave of DLC released so far was announced in advance by at least two days, which is why tonight might be our last chance at hearing something.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm with #fucklogic. The imaginary deadline I set up is just for myself. If I don't heard anything by tonight then that meant I'm right with my expectation and only hyping for the stage.

Also the update would be up during very late night on Tuesday.

Neoxon

That presentation was announced six days in advance, though. Every wave of DLC released so far was announced in advance by at least two days, which is why tonight might be our last chance at hearing something.
Wasn't it Robin & Lucina's reveal that was spoken of 2 days in advance?

Ryce

Wasn't it Robin & Lucina's reveal that was spoken of 2 days in advance?
That video was announced 3 days in advance.

April 2015 Direct (Lucas revealed) - 2 days (technically 1 day in advance outside of Japan)
July 30 DLC - 2 days
Robin/Lucina video - 3 days
50-Fact Extravaganza - 3 days
April 2014 Smash Bros. Direct - 4 days
E3 2015 presentation - 6 days

Dr. Buni

I agree. For what is worth, they can announce more DLC one hour before the Super Mario Maker stage hit the eShop. Nintendo is unpredictable.

I think there's a decent chance we could see a newcomer if this update has characters. Especially a character that might have had work done during main development and was cut due to time restraints. I could easily see it being Wolf and a low-key newcomer, if we're getting anything more than the SMM stage.

But we've determined that the mysterious other stage we might be getting must be from an existing franchise (can't remember how we know that tho). So, maybe this other stage could be coming alongside a newcomer from a series already in Smash.

Or maybe it'll just be Wolf and a returning Star Fox stage (Venom or Sector Z, since those are the only two not in the 3DS or Wii U versions).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nonono. I am saying Pichu is close to making its triumphal come back!

cmz7OWO.jpg

It wouldn't bother me that much if Pichu got in and his side B is still stupid as heck for Free For All. Full Charge Side B is hilarious since it could knock opponents out pretty fast when they were preoccupied by other players.

Dr. Buni

Also, most people are expecting Wolf, some are joking about Pichu (like me), but we could get Ivysaur or Squirtle (or both) back instead. Who knows?
I'd be down.

I would want Pichu really Luigified tho. Like, a bunch.
Well, Roy got a few meaningful changes, didn't he? The same could happen to Pichu.

I played Melee last night and actually used Pichu for fun, and there were a few things about Pichu they could easily adapt to make Pichu unique.

Pikachu's down and side smashes received animation changes in Smash 4. In Melee, when Pichu's down smash ends, he sort of spins on one foot and plops down. In Smash 4, Pikachu spins around and ends up sitting down and spinning on his butt. And I think most people know the changes Pikachu's forward Smash in Smash 4 looks like, where he sort of stands on one arm and one leg and stretches his body out.

With those three changes, Pichu would have 3 unique Smashes, at least animation wise.

And then some other things like what they did to Roy. He couldn't crawl because he sleeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom