• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

I think the only stage I have never ever actually played on outside of events is Great Cave Offensive. Palutena's temple is at least a riot with friends and items.

Really? Great Cave Offensive seems to be much better to stop players from attempting to escape all the time, due to it being closed everywhere and with traps. Palutena's Temple quickly died in my group when it was clear how easy it was to run away there.

Zubz

Banned
Fiora Fiora Activates.

Huh. I didn't know that was her full name!
I never played Xenoblade, but I'm always sold on robotic characters/cyborgs. I'd be fine if she made it in, and Project X Zone at least means Nintendo cares about the character, enough to throw her into a crossover that they're barely involved with otherwise.

Anyway, guys, I guess we've all succumbed to the hype cycle, right? Well, at the very least, it's entertaining. I don't know if mods are going to close this thread after the Ballot closes, or quarantine us in here while we wait for characters to leak out of the Ballot, so this may be the last time we get to hype until the next thread-worthy leak/reveal! I mean, I'm adamant that we're getting nothing but Mario Maker this week. And I'm fine with that. But if it means more patented SmashGAF-wildness, I'm riding this thread until its destination. And for those we've lost in the meantime, like Neiteio, Horizon, and Troubled Bat, we'll see you at the crossroads.

Isn't this just a general DLC discussion thread? That's half of the title.

Besides, even if the ballot ends, there's still stuff to talk about regarding it. Internet polls on the ballot aren't going to stop any time soon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Really? Great Cave Offensive seems to be much better to avoid players who attempt to escape, due to it being closed everywhere and with traps. Palutena's Temple quickly died in my group when it was clear how easy it was to run away there.
Nobody likes the lava pits. It's a very anti-Smash element, essentially reducing it to a traditional HP fighter.

Dr. Buni

Huh. I didn't know that was her full name!
I never played Xenoblade, but I'm always sold on robotic characters/cyborgs. I'd be fine if she made it in, and Project X Zone at least means Nintendo cares about the character, enough to throw her into a crossover that they're barely involved with otherwise.
Her presence in Project X Zone legit surprised me. Didn't expect that, especially after how she was sort of neglected in Smash 4.

Btw, why was Troubled Bat banned?

Neoxon

I'll have to be completely honest, I agree on the idea that Nintendo's spacing of Smash 4 DLC has been rather poor. If there was gonna be this long of a drought for DLC characters, I would have saved Roy for August & Ryu for now (assuming that we get no characters in the next update).

Horizons been unbanned, but I don't know if he posts on GAF anymore (I think he mentioned he was going to stick with community threads?)

I guess that makes sense. When I choose a stage like that is exactly because I want something different from a standard match.

Bingo. I love the lava pits!

I think today has proven it's nothing but Mario Maker, which I'll happily take. Certainly better than nothing, and truth be told I'd take 5 new stages over 1 new character. I just hope that they're not going to hold onto Wolf until 2016 for the sake of Starfox Zero.

Nobody likes the lava pits. It's a very anti-Smash element, essentially reducing it to a traditional HP fighter.

You think it's mostly due to death at 100% mechanic?

I was pondering possible differentiation of Smash clones and considered replacing blast zones with, more or less, lava walls, with deadly percentages varying per wall. Then I realized a lot of people seem to hate this sort of lava. Ah well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Isn't this just a general DLC discussion thread? That's half of the title.

Besides, even if the ballot ends, there's still stuff to talk about regarding it. Internet polls on the ballot aren't going to stop any time soon.

Yep, I would request moderator to lock this thread once Sakurai is done with DLC.

Nobody? That's where you are wrong. I love the concept behind it because it really provide new aspect to the mode and gameplay.

Ryce

That's a lot for a kickstarter indie game.
You didn't specify. Selling well for a Kickstarter indie game is different than "selling a whole lot." That's like calling the world's tallest dwarf a giant. (I'm not trying to shit on Shovel Knight; I just don't think it's as big as your post implies.)

The inclusion of the Miku thing alone should signal it as a fake, but I'd laugh so goddamn so hard
and cry a little inside
if that was the mystery stage we were getting.

I gotta tell Horizon.

Richie

Most likely fake, but a stage that showcases several elements from third party franchises that don't merit playable characters is a great concept, I'd be on board with it.

Yeah, the writing in the Guidances for SSB4 were a definite step down from the writing that was present in KI:U, but even so, I still found them to be entertaining in their own way. Even if they didn't come close to reaching the highs of KI:U, I really like how they handled them (and they did their best, given the superb writers behind KI:U's script presumably had nothing to do with them). Like you pointed out, Viridi still manages to be star and even though Palutena dialogue is nowhere near as snappy, she still has a handful of good moments. I get where you're coming from though. The "outsider lens" is a huge selling point, and some of them are pretty good (like Lucas's). My issue with them comes down to execution.

The Brawl codecs are reminiscent of MGS boss battle codecs; you get a brief rundown of the opponents abilities, and some banter between Snake and Colonel/Otacon/etc and insight on the opponent's backstory. The problem with them is that they tend to be dry (ie: Donkey Kong, Ganondorf) or strive for comedic references to MGS games while falling flat (ie: Yoshi). And again, it doesn't help that the voice acting on the MGS characters are bad. I definitely liked them more before I played MGS, so your mileage might change if you ever get into the franchise.

I also prefer the battle assessments in the Guidances. They're both off base, but the Guidances are generally more accurate (like Viridi's comment about avoiding Donkey's Kong attacks, rather than shielding or the Robin assessment). The constant references to Down-B was a definite turn off though, haha.

It is always a pleasure to debate any topic with you, my good man! I see your points, I'll have to play MGS to see if my feelings on the Codecs change, hah! And I'll revisit the Guidances at the nearest opportunity, there really are several little gems scattered through in them.

EulaCapra

I'm on mobile so I can't link to the Twitter post of some Splatoon hacker girl who's been suggesting a big Splatoon patch around October 16 preceded by a Nintendo Direct around maybe October 14 "estimating on Splatoon patch patterns" or something.

A Nintendo Direct is assumed because the next big Splatoon update is big enough to hype playable Octolings which she's already shown.

I dunno. Just some food for this horrible Smash drought.

Ryce

Apparently the guy who posted the Sega Carnival stuff has made fake "leaks" in the past for games like Splatoon. He's a huge Hatsune Miku fanboy, so that's probably why he shoehorned her into the Sega Carnival stage -- Sega doesn't even own the IP. That would be like DuckTales showing up in a Capcom stage.

Dr. Buni

Ha, saved the link!

A Sega Carnival stage, but it would appear to be fake.
That would be a great stage, shame it's fake.
Apparently the guy who posted the Sega Carnival stuff has made fake "leaks" in the past for games like Splatoon. He's a huge Hatsune Miku fanboy, so that's probably why he shoehorned her into the Sega Carnival stage -- Sega doesn't even own the IP. That would be like DuckTales showing up in a Capcom stage.
Really? I thought Miku was owned by SEGA.

Ryce

In trying to rationalize the release of the Mario Maker stage by itself, I keep coming back to this quote from Sakurai:
Source Gaming said:
The update contained 3 characters, 3 stages, and 9 costumes, but mass production isn’t easy. The 3DS isn’t suited for successive downloads, and there are people who don’t have Wi-Fi in their homes and go to convenience stores to connect, so we made sure to put a lot of forethought into the process.
Given how arduous the process of downloading DLC can be (especially for players in Japan), would Sakurai really push out an update that contains just a single stage?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That reminds me I need to prepare my wallet for the deluge of DLC

You know, just in case

So far all I've bought is Ryu and his stage.

I'll probably get the Mario Maker stage since stages are what I like.

That and it costs less than a pint in London and it sure as hell lasts longer.

So far all I've bought is Ryu and his stage.

I'll probably get the Mario Maker stage since stages are what I like.

That and it costs less than a pint in London and it sure as hell lasts longer.

I'm kind of shameless and will buy any Smash DLC, and have so far (Wii U only tho)

I actually really like it all and use it regularly though, except for some Mii costumes

I'm looking forward to seeing if they do any more new stages. Returning ones are cool but I need some new ones (I'm aware of the Sakurai stage DLC quote).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom