• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how or why Rambi isn't an Assist Trophy.

Like... he's been the one consistent Animal Buddy, and is certainly iconic, and DK has no AT...
Rambi, Cranky and maybe a retro throw-back like Stanley would've been ideal DK AT's. Rambi as a 'hammer' style AT which can easily KO opponents as he runs around, Cranky as a Resetti style AT who bitches about 'games these days' and whacks people with his stick if you interrupt his ranting and Stanley would just run around spraying people in the face with bug poison.

With Shovel Knight it's a little different.

For months they were gung-ho about voting SK in the ballot. And then suddenly, they went quiet. Whenever anyone would ask them about it, they'd clam up and give a non-answer or dodge the question, despite basically answering any question people as them. This was basically a sudden change in a matter of a week. On top of that, there was the somewhat reliable leak that SK is coming.

"Suddenly" is an over-exaggeration. There was less than a week between Yacht Club games doing their usual SK pimp routine and the announcement of the Amiibo. What probably happened is once the rumor started circulating about the Shovel Knight being in Smash -- likely due to the assumption that Amiibo = Smash -- and they simply don't want to step on Nintendo's toes.

At best I see a Shovel Knight Mii Swordsman outfit. Otherwise this SK is going to go the way of Chorus Men. (R.I.P.)

IS THAT WALUIGI PINBALL

Then it transitions into Mario Circuit Double Dash and then to N64 Rainbow Road, oh god, right in the nostalgia

These medleys make me wish Smash had orchestrated music again :(

The quality change from this to this is pretty jarring. One done 8 years before the other, and yet the quality difference is staggering.

Venom is the single greatest version of the Star Fox theme that has ever been done, so maybe comparing it to any other version is a little unfair. Dat gong

IS THAT WALUIGI PINBALL

Then it transitions into Mario Circuit Double Dash and then to N64 Rainbow Road, oh god, right in the nostalgia

The quality change from this to this is pretty jarring. One done 8 years before the other, and yet the quality difference is staggering.

Venom is the single greatest version of the Star Fox theme that has ever been done, so maybe comparing it to any other version is a little unfair. Dat gong

I actually kinda like the Brawl one, but I miss the orchestrals too. I imagine the all-star arranger direction took up too much time for that.

I still wonder what was up with Sakurai's comment on the original Brawl Dojo regarding the Brawl soundtrack being a deluxe orchestra. Mistranslation, change of plans, or...?

Zubz

Banned
I missed all the DLC talk... I've gotten all characters and stages on both versions, but I only got the Mii Costume Pack #1 for the Wii U, and haven't touched another one after. Not even for the Virtua Fighter costumes.

I never touch the 3DS version anymore, though. I think I'll just get the Wii U characters/stages from here on out.

this piranha plant lullaby arrangement

I can't. I really can't omg aaaaaaahahahahahahaha

RIGHT when I click on that Knuckles car thread lmao

It's funny because I gave him my card, told him I'm a huge fan and that I'm friends with Sakai-san, and it turns out they were sitting together at the concert that night!

:OOOOOO

KeigoNiwa

IS THAT WALUIGI PINBALL

While I'm a HUGE fan of orchestrated music, and much prefer it over everything else, I feel like smash's theme of mixing modern and classic game characters doesn't require live tracks.

Plus I feel like modern music is more about the balance/equalization of the track rather than the use of authentic instruments. And by that standard the new music is much more appealing to listen too. IMHO of course.

Edit: the best music however, are ones that combine live and synthetic sounds with proper balance. Smash music I feel deserves a soundtrack akin to like, Wild Arms 5 or Bravely Default. Lol that's just how I feel :)

Soooooo

About that announcement
Well...there is only one true answer now.

Maintenance ends, the update goes up, and its kept a secret the entire time. The characters go up with no fanfare at all! (Its 50% chance at this point and 50% chance of announcement beforehand.)

Seriously I know we are running out've time but everything points to atleast one character (maintenance length, how long its been, last update didn't have one, the disseray of Directs, etc.) It is happening.

kirby_fox

Banned
Soooooo

About that announcement

Right before upload is around midnight EDT on Tuesday night (technically, it'll be midnight Wednesday but too many people get confused by that). That's around 1 PM Japan time, with maintenance starting at 2 PM and ending around 4 PM.

I guess we could get something right at 4 PM Japan time too so they can say "available now!"...but at that point it's released, so who cares?

Hatchtag

Banned
Soooooo

About that announcement

At the moment, I'm assuming Nintendo was unpleased with the last DLC release's sales. Not unpleased enough to stop making them-far from that-but unpleased enough to change marketting tactics. Thus I'm expecting a random video showcasing the stage and the next batch of Mii Fighter costumes or something at some point today.

At the moment, I'm assuming Nintendo was unpleased with the last DLC release's sales. Not unpleased enough to stop making them-far from that-but unpleased enough to change marketting tactics. Thus I'm expecting a random video showcasing the stage and the next batch of Mii Fighter costumes or something at some point today.

You mean the two 64 stages and batch of Mii costumes released to almost no fanfare? I imagine they were displeased haha

I mean, having a character attracts more buyers who might impulse purchase more than just the character, so that's certainly a factor if the last batch didn't do well.

But I mean, it was poorly handled, advertisement-wise.

TDLink

There were no characters, both stages were old returning ones from 64 (one of which wasn't that desired), and it was all marketed solely with tweets and the in-game shop after release. It's not exactly like they tried. I mean, I'm sure they didn't sell much of it considering all that (and compared to the previous DLC releases) but I doubt they expected much out of it considering the meager effort they put into promoting it. The Mario Maker stage alone already has more effort put into it. New and original stages (and/or returning but more desired stages) are always going to be more exciting. And having a character is always going to be the most exciting.

Hatchtag

Banned
I know that characters are obviously going to bring in more money. I'm just wondering if they thought that nightly Mii Fighter reveals weren't the best way of marketting those and decided to do something different this time.

I kinda disagree that new stages are more exciting with Smash 4's stage quality though lol.

TDLink

I know that characters are obviously going to bring in more money. I'm just wondering if they thought that nightly Mii Fighter reveals weren't the best way of marketting those and decided to do something different this time.

I kinda disagree that new stages are more exciting with Smash 4's stage quality though lol.

I agree with you, they could just dump a video on release day.

In terms of excitement, It's very stage dependent. A lot of people like Hyrule Castle but I don't know that people were exactly clamoring for it over several stages from the post-64 games. And Peach's Castle 64 is definitely not one of the ones most people were super excited about potentially getting. I've seen a lot more enthusiasm for Mario Maker already, granted that is anecdotal.

To expand on that, there are plenty of melee stages people want back but I am also sure there are plenty that most people would not care to have again. For every Fountain of Dreams there's an Icicle Mountain.

Plus at the end of the day the new stages in both Smash 4 versions are actually pretty good. There's just a few that go overboard with hazards.

RomanceDawn

What is this treacherous last video? In my current country YouTube isn't allowed. Ridley ain't too big! You're too big! You are ALL TOO BIG!!!!!!!

Can someone describe it to the viewing impaired?

I think people are excited for Mario maker now but I have a good feeling people will hate on it like they do Orbital Gate before long. There seemed like such a welcoming feeling in the air when we got the full reveal. Then people played it and hated. At least the most vocal people here do.

I love that stage! Which is strange because I hate that game with a passion! The bombs, switching air crafts, etc, is so fun! Mind you I am a competitive player too. I've read that Orbital Gate(or is it Orbital Assault?) is too random and it's too easy to get killed by the stage. I really don't see that at all and welcome it as one of the few really great crazy stages.

Mario maker looks to have a lot less things trying to kill you, if any at all but I just have a feeling it won't go over well with the people who don't like the new Star Fox stage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What is this treacherous last video? In my current country YouTube isn't allowed. Ridley ain't too big! You're too big! You are ALL TOO BIG!!!!!!!

Can someone describe it to the viewing impaired?
The YouTuber, who is a vocal Ridley supporter, concedes that Ridley is after all too big.

RomanceDawn

The YouTuber, who is a vocal Ridley supporter, concedes that Ridley is after all too big.

I don't think I can ever accept that. When I look at Roy or Morton Koopa during their victory animations a part of me always thinks to myself that they are not correct. When I see Pikachu stand side by side to Charizard or Mewtwo, I know in my heart that it's very wrong. When Pokemon trainer hugs Squirtle it looks down right strange to me. When Olimar is lined up next to anyone I question life just a little bit.

These things are certainly easier to accept because they have been upscaled but in my head it's all just aesthetics and I accept them. If Ridley was no bigger than Bowser with wings I think after 35 seconds of playing him people would be ok with it. Ridley existed once as a smaller character and retconed or not it doesn't change the fact that he did exist like that at one point. Technical limitations or not, doesn't matter, things like that give us mustaches and sometimes they last forever. What's that fighting where Optimus Prime is a character and about the normal size of a human? Yeah it's weird at first and Ridley isn't near the size of him but people who play the game are used to it.

TBC.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well to clarify the video further, he says that he feels this mod is about as small as you could make Ridley while retaining his menacing presence.

The problem is Ridley has a large wing span and a ridiculous range. Of course you could gimp him by not using his tail to attack and cutting off his wings (as they did with his Melee intro model) but then you're compromising on who Ridley is just to make him playable.

Dr. Buni

Except Ridley didn't even have massive wings in his more well known appearance (Super Metroid), as well as Metroid Zero Mission. The large wing thing is a Metroid Prime thing.

I can't see Ridley being that hard to make playable if Sakurai: 1. Wanted to make him playable, in the first place. 2. Realizes the freaking huge wing spam thing isn't a defining characteristic of the character and 3. Realizes his size isn't a defining characteristic either.

The major problem here is Sakurai actually wanting to further represent Metroid, imo. It doesn't seem like he is very fond of it (and Donkey Kong). I mean, I am not saying Ridley would be the easiest character to make, but in a game that have or had characters like Pikmin & Olimar, Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Pokémon Trainer and hell, even Mr. Game & Watch, I doubt Ridley would figure among the hardest characters to make playable... if only Sakurai wanted to make him playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom