• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

My favorite thing about the last update actually was the addition for 1v1 For Glory Custom Special tourneys in Tourney Mode. They let you use customs but no equipment. It's basically where I go now whenever I play as Palutena online.

Beforehand they literally forced you to play with equipment in addition to custom specials in Custom Glory brackets. Playing as my Custom Palu (no equipment of course) in that environment was probably the most grueling thing I've done. So many people messing with the physics of their characters or using ridiculous self-healing or critical hit badges. I'm glad it's all behind me now, though.
I didn't know that. I use Smash Wii U mostly for local play and Smash 3DS for online play. Are there enough players in that mode? I might check it out later today.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In addition, some custom moves admittedly need to be rebalanced as well. Thankfully Sakurai and his team have shown they're willing to balance custom moves as shown by the last patch, but I think they ought to really touch the controversial ones, those being Kong Cyclone and Timber Counter. Basically, make them less 'jank' as many tournament players like to call them.
Tournament players (in general) have opinions very set in stone about customs and I doubt anything will change that. They seem to be very stubborn (in general). Freaking Zero was mad at MLG (was it MLG? I don't remember) for banning Diddy in patch 1.1.1 mentioning that his glitch would be a non-factor in a real tournament, when just that same weekend we had an actual tournament match decided by an incredibly rare glitch in Melee.

Thankfully 1.1.2 came out and it became a moot point.
So apparently Sean Hicks deleted his Tweets regarding the rumor because he was being "harassed" into revealing who the character is. I'm not trying to victim blame, but what was he expecting from this vile fanbase?

https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653413233416507392
The Smash fanbase is the fucking worst.

I didn't know that. I use Smash Wii U mostly for local play and Smash 3DS for online play. Are there enough players in that mode? I might check it out later today.

Tourney Mode seems to be more active later in the day, like at night time. I played a handful of Medium Custom Special tourneys last night. People seem to play those types of the most.

In addition there's some other interesting brackets, like you can actually play For Glory Battlefield tourneys which is a nice addition.

NotLiquid

So apparently Sean Hicks deleted his Tweets regarding the rumor because he was being "harassed" into revealing who the character is. I'm not trying to victim blame, but what was he expecting from this vile fanbase?

A close friend of mine apparently got to find out from someone about whatever this "news" was as well and when he tweeted about it he also got harassed by people. It's shitty no matter how you twist it. Even if you can say it's a carrot-sticking situation nothing about this has justified people getting angry about it. Finding out about it and informing people that there's big stuff in store isn't an inherently bad thing either, certainly nothing worth lambasting people about.

If there is news, we'll get it this week. If there isn't, we won't. If anything I kind of pity those who know what it is since not knowing makes the surprise all the more sweeter.

Ryce

It's fairly obvious that everyone is alluding to Inkling, but I'm still surprised nobody has accidentally blurted the name out. It's hard to keep a secret these days.

With all the chefs in the kitchen, it's kind of surprising none of them have let it out yet.

There aren't even any fake 4Chan posts of people pretending to know with random long detailed lists of content.

Neiteio

First thing I check for on GAF each day is a character announcement.

Check for Smash, stay for MGSV and Transformers and Wooly World and Mario Maker.

I'd be over the moon if they add Inklings and a Splatoon stage, ideally in a bundle.

With all the chefs in the kitchen, it's kind of surprising none of them have let it out yet.

There aren't even any fake 4Chan posts of people pretending to know with random long detailed lists of content.
Probably because it's a very small group of people who are, amazingly, keeping their mouths shut outside of the occasional tease.

I dont know what he was expecting. Like lots of cursing is gross and all reflects bad on the Smash fans but dangling info and yammering on about how hyped he was and how privy he was to cool secret stuff? He brought the lion share of attention on him self tbh

Fandangox

I just personally thought that Inklings made more sense as that "big name" attached to a new smash, rather than just DLC, but I guess nothing is stopping them of adding them as DLC, and then promote them heavily in the next one as a vet.

Dr. Buni

Tourney Mode seems to be more active later in the day, like at night time. I played a handful of Medium Custom Special tourneys last night. People seem to play those types of the most.

In addition there's some other interesting brackets, like you can actually play For Glory Battlefield tourneys which is a nice addition.
I will check it out later then.

I am so used to playing without platforms at this point, I am sure I will find playing on Battlefield a bit confusing.
I just personally thought that Inklings made more sense as that "big name" attached to a new smash, rather than just DLC, but I guess nothing is stopping them of adding them as DLC, and then promote them heavily in the next one as a vet.
Maybe they won't make a new Smash for a long time, so releasing the Inklings for Smash 4 is better than letting them rot for years. Maybe they are afraid Splatoon's success might be a fad and want to capitalize on it while it is still possible. Perhaps people are jumping to conclusions and the character isn't the Inklings. Who knows?

Inklings are at the height of their popularity, might as well release them now.

NotLiquid

At best I think I've seen a GameFAQs post openly stating it was Inklings but you can't take members there seriously, even if some of the members will say "oh this guy has a history on here etc". It is a bit surprising that no one on /v/ has tried to feign knowledge about the subject as well though. Like Zef said way back, the info probably won't leak unless the source itself comes out with it.

I mean, there's always the chance that this is one huge piss take, but there might just be a miraculous chance that people have been incredibly careful with what they're saying this time around and who they're saying it to. If this really is a gamechanger that they can trust it's no wonder people might have a hard time not talking about it. Even Roger originally said he had a hard time keeping it under wraps.

Ryce

Didn't Sakurai say something in Famitsu about treating DLC like a new project with its own planning schedule and everything? In that sense, the "new game" mentality is already being applied here. Ryu would've been a shocking reveal for a future installment, but instead he's just DLC. I don't think the Inklings should be handled any differently.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The Cutting Room Floor has some files which seem to indicate Brawl was going to swap her umbrella out with the one from Super Princess Peach at one point, so that could've seriously happened at one point.

Really? Could you find any source on that?

She's a secondary character in a tiny series. The series could adequately be represented with just Pit and Dark Pit, in the same way Fox and Falco/Wolf rep their somewhat larger, but still small series.

Dark Pit over Palutena. That don't even make any sense. Also there are a huge popularity behind Palutena that could boost her chance to become playable character.

• One of main characters of Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Really popular with audience(s)
  • unique moveset

Sponge

Banned
This is getting ridiculous. I don't even care these new characters haven't leaked, I just want a date for a possible direct ;_;

Stealth is a massive douche. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. If it is legit, and I'm starting to have my doubts, then I'd bet on a glorified advertisement like Inklings or Chibi-Robo.

(Reading the rest of that thread) Who in their right mind would tell Etika of all people about future DLC?

If there was ever a person who would completely spill the entire beans about something, it's that dude...

NotLiquid

To be fair I'd probably turn into a massive douche if I ever tried humoring the cesspool that is GameFAQs as well lmao

He needs to give up reasoning with them

TDLink

One of two things happening here with everyone who "knows".

1. They don't know, and they're attention seeking.
2. They do know, and they're being assholes.

Either way it's stupid.

Platy

People should either tell everyone or use the NDA decently and tell nothing. Of course lots of people thirsty for news will bother them. Doing all this "I know but you don't" helps nothing =P

Leak for real, everyone can say they know something after the first person told it

Christ almighty people can we please not give podiums to attention seekers like that. Unless he leaks actual information, who cares?

"I know who the next character is going to be."

Congratulations, I guess. Unless you name names, who the fuck cares? They could reveal Birdo next week and all he has to do is say "I knew it was her all along."

I want Birdo.

Clov

Guys, I know who the next five DLC characters are. But I can't reveal anything, sorry.

One slot for K. Rool with the latter four all being taken by Ridley, right?

Stealth doesn't strike me as being very trustworthy, though. Wasn't he banned from here? Or am I thinking of a different Stealth?

Neoxon

We will find who the character is by the 23rd but they will be released this week. What am I missing here?
We may find out this week, but we'll learn of the character by the 23rd at the absolute latest. The character is also coming alone according to Stealth (by which he meant that no other character will be bundled with the rumored first party newcomer).

Nightbird

Apparently Stealth now knows who's gonna fill the 2nd placeholder slot. This is completely separate from the ongoing rumor that we're supposedly going to learn of either this week or next week.

jGSKE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom