• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Characters that don't belong in Smash: Every single clone that they haven't done enough to continue to differentiate.

Question.
If you had the choice between:
- Smash 4 with Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit
or
- Smash 4 without Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit

No "character x instead of the clones" or whatever. Just these 2 options. Smash 4 with the three clones or without the three clones, no additional characters.

What would you choose?

PK Gaming

I think it'd be insane to put Chibi Robo in before a RH character. One is on it's way to the graveyard (To join Samus and Captain Falcon) and one is a very popular niche franchise.

Characters that don't belong in Smash: Every single clone that they haven't done enough to continue to differentiate.

Don't belong in Smash? They didn't put any serious work into them, and are pretty much bonus characters. Do we have to go through this again?

Josh5890

Question.
or

No "character x instead of the clones" or whatever. Just these 2 options. Smash 4 with the three clones or without the three clones, no additional characters.

What would you choose?

I don't mind clones but I could have lived without Dark Pit. I do see your point though.

Dr. Buni

Question.
or

What would you choose?
Without. But they are in the game, they are not leaving, so this clone discussion is pointless.

Edit: I have to admit I only say without because I am not a fan of the characters themselves. Clones don't bother me that much, especially if they are "semi clones" like Falco.

At least with the 3 clones added into the roster, they have a basic foundation, and can be reworked into semi-clones the following Smash, especially with Dark Pit and Lucina having tons of materials from their games helping with that.

Even if Lucina will still be a blue haired Marth-ling sword user from Wee-a-boo Emblem.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would keep all 3 clones, and I wish that they would have enough time to add Alph as clone as well.

Alph, Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario, fine with me! :)

At least with the 3 clones added into the roster, they have a basic foundation, and can be reworked into semi-clones the following Smash, especially with Dark Pit and Lucina having tons of materials from their games helping with that.

Even if Lucina will still be a blue haired Marth-ling sword user from Wee-a-boo Emblem.

I've got to say I was really happy seeing Lucina in her trailer because I thought they'd be using her fighting style from Awakening but ended up disappointed with the result. At least she's in the game anyway...

I've got to say I was really happy seeing Lucina in her trailer because I thought they'd be using her fighting style from Awakening but ended up disappointed with the result. At least she's in the game anyway...

Funny how that trailer, and Robin in Smash convinced me to buy Fire Emblem: Awakening, like how Snake convinced me to play MGS4. Thanks Smash for introducing Metal Gear to me, and almost screw you smash for making me waste $40 on Fire Emblem Awakening, but at the same time, thanks again for convincing me to get Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm just appalled Chibi-Robo isn't an Assist Trophy by now. He'd be perfect for the job! He would be made a bit bigger so he was actually visible, but he would still just be a tiny guy who runs around cleaning up the match, taking items and scrubbing the floor and makign it slippery. Same with Elite Beat Agents, who just SCREAM AT potential. Maybe next game...

Clone discussion: I don't mind clones as long as it fits their character. Lucina being a clone of Marth makes sense, and she's a popular character who I can't complain about being in. Dark Pit... never deserved a slot for any reason, but at least him being a Pit clone is logical. I just wish they had put a little extra effort into Smash 4's clones so they were closer to Melee's - it's kinda sad that Dr. Mario, Melee's cloniest clone, was still more unique in Melee than Lucina or Dark Pit are in 4. At the very least they could have given Pittoo a different set of orbitars.

kirby_fox

Banned
I hope they have time to throw in some clone DLC at the end.

Who do you want? I was thinking about this and wondered who they could put in as a clone.

Impa >> Sheik but with slightly different attributes, heavier and slower
Ridley >> Charizard but lighter, faster, and weaker overall. Rock Smash would altered to a custom that makes more sense.
Ninten >> Ness but slower with Lucas' strength.
Slippy >> Falco. No differences besides him constantly yelling for help.
Alph >> Olimar, but his weight and attacks are slightly changed and the order in which Pikmin are drawn out is different.
Dark Samus >> Samus, but is actually worth a damn to play as.

Josh5890

Funny how that trailer, and Robin in Smash convinced me to buy Fire Emblem: Awakening, like how Snake convinced me to play MGS4. Thanks Smash for introducing Metal Gear to me, and almost screw you smash for making me waste $40 on Fire Emblem Awakening, but at the same time, thanks again for convincing me to get Kid Icarus Uprising.

Wait, what???

Wait, what???

Long story short, I have a lot of issues with Awakening that Fire Emblem Fates seems to have fixed most of, I find Awakening to be that one game that can be fun when you look past all of its flaws, but some of those flaws are glaring where it's kind of hard to look past.

Golnei

For additional clones, my initial choices of Toon Zelda (Zelda), Viridi (Palutena), Isabelle (Villager), Dunban (Shulk), Mr. Sandman (Little Mac) and Kumatora (Lucas) may have been partially made redundant with Mii costumes (or just have been impossible in general, like the latter choice) but I still wouldn't be opposed to the actual characters being made available.

Who do you want? I was thinking about this and wondered who they could put in as a clone.

Impa >> Sheik but with slightly different attributes, heavier and slower
Ridley >> Charizard but lighter, faster, and weaker overall. Rock Smash would altered to a custom that makes more sense.
Ninten >> Ness but slower with Lucas' strength.
Slippy >> Falco. No differences besides him constantly yelling for help.
Alph >> Olimar, but his weight and attacks are slightly changed and the order in which Pikmin are drawn out is different.
Dark Samus >> Samus, but is actually worth a damn to play as.

Ridley couldn't work on Charizard's skeleton at all. People have tried, and it looks fucking terrible.

Impa would work, but making her a clone would squander the potential she has for an original moveset, similar to Dark Samus.

Ninten has notability issues, Slippy could work; but would be the 4th Star Fox character, and 3rd Fox.

I'd love Alph to finally get promoted, but if problems with the Pikmin AI on 3DS prevented them from doing it initially, I'm not sure what hope he has post-launch.

Josh5890

Long story short, I have a lot of issues with Awakening that Fire Emblem Fates seems to have fixed most of, I find Awakening to be that one game that can be fun when you look past all of its flaws, but some of those flaws are glaring where it's kind of hard to look past.

Ok, I guess to each their own. I just haven't meant anyone who didn't like Awakening that little. I do agree with you about Kid Icarus though :)

For additional clones, my initial choices of Toon Zelda (Zelda), Viridi (Palutena), Isabelle (Villager), Dunban (Shulk), Mr. Sandman (Little Mac) and Kumatora (Lucas) may have been partially made redundant with Mii costumes (or just have been impossible in general, like the latter choice) but I still wouldn't be opposed to the actual characters being made available.

Instead of Viridi, I'd prefer Medusa as the clone of Palutena, myself.

Hello.

Banned
All of those Japan Time people could easily be rusing the whole community. Just be in a Skype group and organize a mass "I know who the next dlc character is" conspiracy and people will believe you.

Precisely why I don't believe a damn word they say.

I want Funky as a DK clone, but instead of punching people, he smacks them with his surfboard. Even though he stands upright, he moves just like DK. Go play Mario Super Sluggers and see for yourself.

Funky - DK clone
Dixie - Diddy semi-clone
K. Rool - Original moveset

All of those Japan Time people could easily be rusing the whole community. Just be in a Skype group and organize a mass "I know who the next dlc character is" conspiracy and people will believe you.

Precisely why I don't believe a damn word they say.

Even I'm not this cynical. They'd turn the whole internet against them. Not the wisest decision.

Fandangox

Could have a chosen a better Fire Emblem game! Like pretty much anything aside from Sacred Stones!

Ninten as a Ness clone seems obvious. Maybe even a mix of Ness and Lucas.

Dry Bowser as a medium weight Bowser. He'd have Bowser's fire ball custom as his neutral special, but with blue fire. His side special would also cause him to shatter when he body slams, only to rebuild himself immediately.

Pichu, obviously, could return with his only notable change being an actual working run animation.

Even something silly like Slippy as a heavier, slower Fox, but with jumping power that rivals Falco.

Could have a chosen a better Fire Emblem game! Like pretty much anything aside from Sacred Stones!

I played through the Binding Blade and the prequel that was released in the US a few months ago, much better games.

Now to patiently wait for a well done english translation of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776.

Golnei

Instead of Viridi, I'd prefer Medusa as the clone of Palutena, myself.

I prefer Medusa as a character, but if the only chance either of them have is as a clone; a "Young Link" version of Palutena's moveset would be more distinct than a Melee Ganondorf one. It'd also line up fairly well with Viridi being able to grant the same ingame powers as Palutena in Uprising, while Medusa's are separate.

Even I'm not this cynical. They'd turn the whole internet against them. Not the wisest decision.

Personally I just think they added that bleep as a joke.

I prefer Medusa as a character, but if the only chance either of them have is as a clone; a "Young Link" version of Palutena's moveset would be more distinct than a Melee Ganondorf one. It'd also line up fairly well with Viridi being able to grant the same ingame powers as Palutena in Uprising, while Medusa's are separate.

I just really want Medusa.

Fandangox

I played through the Binding Blade and the prequel that was released in the US a few months ago, much better games.

Now to patiently wait for a well done english translation of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776.

Were you able to play Path of Radiance? Easily the best FE for me, it used to be up there with the first Western Fire Emblem, but after replaying both recently, I realized PoR is just simply much better.

Were you able to play Path of Radiance? Easily the best FE for me, it used to be up there with the first Western Fire Emblem, but after replaying both recently, I realized PoR is just simply much better.

Played it a few years ago, back to back with Radiant Dawn, I don't remember much, that's why I didn't mention the two.

Clov

If I could have another clone? Maybe Viridi as a Palutena clone? Personally if we got another Kid Icarus character I'd rather have Hades, but I don't think he'd work as a clone. At least not well.

Neoxon

I'm a Lucas main, but Ness is generally considered the better character with the stronger attacks and the kill throw.

In other news, Roger Di Luigi's Japan Time Podcast is up. Haven't listened to it yet, so who knows if they leak out anything.
Already posted it. And to reiterate what I mentioned before, a portion of the conversation was bleeped out containing a certain character. This would explain how Shofu found out about the character.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Already posted it. And to reiterate what I mentioned before, a portion of the conversation was bleeped out containing a certain character. This would explain how Shofu found out about the character.
Gotta be honest, I have been skimming this thread lately because a lot of the discussions here are tired old retreads.

Very few people have actually played Earthbound, let alone MOTHER 3.
Well.. that's a pretty good point. Though I'd imagine you;'d see him more in Tournaments and the like.
Almost every person I know prefers playing Lucas over Ness, except dedicated Ness players.
I love Lucas' normal attacks and his variations on PK fire and PK Thunder. I also love his Neutral air.. so good
I'm a Lucas main, but Ness is generally considered the better character with the stronger attacks and the kill throw.

In other news, Roger Di Luigi's Japan Time Podcast is up. Haven't listened to it yet, so who knows if they leak out anything.
I see. It's weird that I have no desire to play as Ness but I love Lucas. When I bought him and Roy I was expecting them to be straight clones but they're so good.

Maengun1

I'm also a Lucas main most of the time. I'm not a competitive player at all, I just like him more. Also, that up-smash > Ness's yo-yo all day every day. And I prefer the thunder that can continue moving after hitting things (I think Ness has that as a custom in this game though but still).

If I could have another clone? Maybe Viridi as a Palutena clone? Personally if we got another Kid Icarus character I'd rather have Hades, but I don't think he'd work as a clone. At least not well.

Why would anyone want Palutena's moveset cloned? It's awful :p
I would love to play as Viridi or Isabelle though :D Heck, given the choice I'd probably play toon zelda over normal zelda too (love the cat-eyed look of characters in those games :3 )

kirby_fox

Banned
I would love to play as Viridi or Isabelle though :D Heck, given the choice I'd probably play toon zelda over normal zelda too (love the cat-eyed look of characters in those games :3 )

They should just take Palutena's customs and apply them to both Viridi and Medusa.

Though I don't think Palutena's standards would be able to be cloned for them...

Clov

Bah, Palutena's fun! I mostly love using her reflect against my friend who plays Samus, he gets so mad. :p I do the same thing to him using Mewtwo, and I've been able to beat his Robin pretty consistently. It's so great reflecting a Thoron, you know?

The chibi Wind Waker look is great though, I agree! Toon Zelda isn't high up on my list of wanted newcomers though. I'd be more excited for Tetra.

J@hranimo

Banned
Honestly, Palutena was one of the best inclusions in this game and we all know it. Yeah she isn't cut out for top level competitive play but I love her still.

I wish I could explain in proper detail how different Roy actually is now, but mobile...he's basically "Luigified" in a sense where his normals are slightly different and he's deceptively quick compared to Marth/Lucina.

Azure J

Honestly, Palutena was one of the best inclusions in this game and we all know it. Yeah she isn't cut out for top level competitive play but I love her still.

I wish I could explain in proper detail how different Roy actually is now, but mobile...he's basically "Luigified" in a sense where his normals are slightly different and he's deceptively quick compared to Marth/Lucina.

The feels I had when Roy outspeeds Marth in a Smash game... :lol

They should just take Palutena's customs and apply them to both Viridi and Medusa.

Though I don't think Palutena's standards would be able to be cloned for them...
Her customs are kind of mixed bag as well to be honest. Nobody would ever really want heavenly light for example, while super speed and explosive flame and a couple of others are pretty neat.

Bah, Palutena's fun! I mostly love using her reflect against my friend who plays Samus, he gets so mad. :p I do the same thing to him using Mewtwo, and I've been able to beat his Robin pretty consistently. It's so great reflecting a Thoron, you know?

The chibi Wind Waker look is great though, I agree! Toon Zelda isn't high up on my list of wanted newcomers though. I'd be more excited for Tetra.
had a few people trying to switch to reflecting characters to deal with my Thoron/Elthunder antics but it looks like none of my smash friends can get my timing down :p I've had some fun with Palu back when I mained her but she just kind of feels all over the place. Her shield moves (back air or running attack) have a lot of trolling potential for anyone who doesn't know its weird hitbox eating properties though :3
I'd be ok with tetra too.

Lightweight and fireball or whatever that move was called make Palutena fucking fun for people who love zoning.
Explosive flame is my jam, but it's rare i'm in a situation where customs would be all that welcome :/

I dunno. As you might be able to tell from my avatar I was pretty happy she got in but her moveset doesn't feel all that cohesive and more importantly she just doesn't feel like Palutena personality-wise. outside of her laughing taunt they seem to try and portray her as serene rather than the more playful attitude she had in rising. At least during play, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom