• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
I dunno. As you might be able to tell from my avatar I was pretty happy she got in but her moveset doesn't feel all that cohesive and more importantly she just doesn't feel like Palutena personality-wise. outside of her laughing taunt they seem to try and portray her as serene rather than the more playful attitude she had in rising. At least during play, anyway.

Yeah I can actually agree with her personality being a bit different. If they got her VA from Uprising she'd probably be more snarky and funny outside of some of the Guidances. I like playing as her though and beating my friend's Rosa is very rewarding lol.

The feels I had when Roy outspeeds Marth in a Smash game... :lol

LOL I know right? It threw me off so hard when he first came out and has slightly better air game o_O

Also I'm listening to Rogerbase's latest Japan Time Podcast and I like the speculation for Isaac...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I get that people want Snake back but I will never understand their delusional arguments that Metal Gear has a rich history with Nintendo. It's just nonsense from every possible angle. I mean if Metal Gear of all things has this super important legacy with Nintendo than the Castlevania series is practically a Nintendo IP then.

Exactly, why can't those people just say Snake got in because of Sakurai?

Eh it doesn't bother me since you can see this in other characters anyway, and some of them look better on Wolf anyway (seriously compare Sonic's uair to Wolf's usmash, the latter just feels better).

PK Gaming

Generally speaking, exactly how different is SMB4 Roy is to his Melee counterpart?

Fairly different

Melee Roy is ultimately just an ineffectual Marth. They're clones, but Marth's tipper mechanic is way, way, way better than Roy's hit-with-the-center-of-the-blade mechanic. I mean, you got 2 characters with long swords used to keep people away, but one of them benefits from playing optimally whereas the other benefits from getting up close (where his attacks generally unsafe) in order to score a bonus. Yuck.

SSB4 Roy is still the same in that regard, but his moveset has been retooled to support his unorthodox mechanic. He's way more mobile than Marth, and his up close options are much better. Unlike Marth, he has guaranteed throw follow ups so you're actually rewarded for being that close to your opponent. A good portion of his normals have been changed (Jab, Forward tilt, Forward Smash, Upsmash, etc) and his Up B / Neutral B have been retooled in neat ways.

All in all, he's practically from the goober that he was from Melee.

Dr. Buni

oh god his peach video is hilarious

Besides Zamus and maybe Palutena the rest of Smash's female cast avoids anything that'd be objectionable to certain people and Peach being the girly character is perfectly fine IMO.
Peach in Smash is fine. Unlike Zamus and Palutena, she is a case of being a better/more interesting character in Smash than in her own series. Sakurai treats her better than "Nintendo" does (Super Princess Peach was awful). On the subject, I remember during the pre-release of Smash 4, some folks wanted her moveset to incorporate stuff from SPP and I was like "oh god no".

The Cutting Room Floor has some files which seem to indicate Brawl was going to swap her umbrella out with the one from Super Princess Peach at one point, so that could've seriously happened at one point.

Dr. Buni

The Cutting Room Floor has some files which seem to indicate Brawl was going to swap her umbrella out with the one from Super Princess Peach at one point, so that could've seriously happened at one point.
Well, it's a good thing it didn't happen. On the subject of Peach being the girly girl, there's nothing wrong with that or with being girly. It sucks to see gender roles being affirmed, but I don't see how Peach as a character could possibly be doing that.
Zamus and Palutena are much more problematic as characters than Peach could dream to be

P.S.: I watched the video you mentioned and I love how that guy put Ivysaur in the group of female characters. :p

Well, it's a good thing it didn't happen. On the subject of Peach being the girly girl, there's nothing wrong with that or with being girly. It sucks to see gender roles being affirmed, but I don't see how Peach as a character could possibly be doing that.
Zamus and Palutena are much more problematic as characters than Peach could dream to be

P.S.: I watched the video you mentioned and I love how that guy put Ivysaur in the group of female characters. :p
Zamus is 'problematic' in the sense that it's a pretty niche part of the series, moves away from aspects most fans like about the Metroid series and she's the polar opposite to OG Samus in terms of how viable she is. But at least they made the Other M heels into cool jet-boot gadgets instead of just inexplicably being there in M:OM.

Palutena I'm cool with. I dunno, maybe her Uprising design is a bit too 'anime' but I'm way too into her portrayal in that game to take fault with anything about her look beyond the one stocking-look being kinda weird I guess. That 'stripper pole' taunt is more funny than anything else.

Dr. Buni

Zamus is 'problematic' in the sense that it's a pretty niche part of the series, moves away from aspects most fans like about the Metroid series and she's the polar opposite to OG Samus in terms of how viable she is. But at least they made the Other M heels into cool jet-boot gadgets instead of just inexplicably being there in M:OM.

Palutena I'm cool with. I dunno, maybe her Uprising design is a bit too 'anime' but I'm way too into her portrayal in that game to take fault with anything about her look beyond the one stocking-look being kinda weird I guess. That 'stripper pole' taunt is more funny than anything else.
She is problematic in many ways, but mostly in how sexualized the character is (nothing compared to the likes of Mai Shiranui and Rainbow Mika, but still). Though to me the biggest issue with this kind of character is often the kind of gross disrespectful people and discussion it often attracts and not the character themselves. I don't really hate Zamus, but I would like her more if she had a design like this instead. Say what you want about Other M, but that Samus design is great.

As for Palutena, she is really cool (personality-wise) in Uprising, but from her portrayal in Smash and the Uprising anime shorts, it's clear the intention the designers had when designing her. Shame. Design-wise, I wish she was closer to classic Palutena.

FSLink

Banned
Who do you want? I was thinking about this and wondered who they could put in as a clone.

Impa >> Sheik but with slightly different attributes, heavier and slower
Ridley >> Charizard but lighter, faster, and weaker overall. Rock Smash would altered to a custom that makes more sense.
Ninten >> Ness but slower with Lucas' strength.
Slippy >> Falco. No differences besides him constantly yelling for help.
Alph >> Olimar, but his weight and attacks are slightly changed and the order in which Pikmin are drawn out is different.
Dark Samus >> Samus, but is actually worth a damn to play as.

I'd like Chrom too personally despite the Mii costume. Pichu to return as well just for the internet salt and joke character.

Why is Lucas so unpopular? He seems really good
Mother 3 is JPN only. Lucas is also considered weaker competitively than Ness (though I personally feel Lucas is stronger now that his moveset is a bit safer thanks to the new patch)

Palutena is the only character in the series where I can legitimately say only is in Smash due to her being from a game Sakurai made.

She's a secondary character in a tiny series. The series could adequately be represented with just Pit and Dark Pit, in the same way Fox and Falco/Wolf rep their somewhat larger, but still small series.

Her design is silly and over designed (only one stocking??). Her default moveset is really boring. Why does a character need a (bad) reflector and a counter at the same time? Why did they pick the four most boring moves she has to be defaults?

Little floating Octolings have taken over SplatNet. It seems likely some sort of Splatoon announcement is coming very soon.

With that the Smash announcement will probably come as well, if the rumors are correct.

woopWOOP

Since it's been more or less confirmed Sakurai picks a retro character each Smash iteration I'm secretly hoping one of the 'pre-ballot' DLC characters is another one of those unexpected old school nobodies (if they're adding more than one before officially working on the ballot characters anyway, IF they're even doing that).

Nothing like a left field character with a wacky moveset that gives a forgotten franchise some more time in the spotlight (and pisses people off as a 'wasted slot', until they slowly warm up to them).

Since it's been more or less confirmed Sakurai picks a retro character each Smash iteration I'm secretly hoping one of the 'pre-ballot' DLC characters is another one of those unexpected old school nobodies (if they're adding more than one before officially working on the ballot characters anyway, IF they're even doing that).

Nothing like a left field character with a wacky moveset that gives a forgotten franchise some more time in the spotlight (and pisses people off as a 'wasted slot', until they slowly warm up to them).

I'd like to see Excitebiker or Balloon Fighter in the game. Excitebike almost won out against Ice Climbers, but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make him jump. However, that was ages ago and I think they could easily figure something out, even if it's just a simple hop like Bowser Jr's kart. And I think Balloon Fighter is long overdue. He's not quite as unknown as the other potential NES characters, but he deserves to be in Smash and could be a pretty fun fighter.

An interesting development for the Shovel Knight rumor. Amazon now sells Smash DLC, as was assumed when the Shovel Knight rumor started.

"Complete" doesn't include the latest DLC. I don't believe you actually even save any money buying it like this either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Little floating Octolings have taken over SplatNet. It seems likely some sort of Splatoon announcement is coming very soon.

With that the Smash announcement will probably come as well, if the rumors are correct.
That's an error. On the JP side the octolings took over Splatnet. They forgot to make sure the images didn't change on the en side.

Palutena is the only character in the series where I can legitimately say only is in Smash due to her being from a game Sakurai made.

She's a secondary character in a tiny series. The series could adequately be represented with just Pit and Dark Pit, in the same way Fox and Falco/Wolf rep their somewhat larger, but still small series.

Her design is silly and over designed (only one stocking??). Her default moveset is really boring. Why does a character need a (bad) reflector and a counter at the same time? Why did they pick the four most boring moves she has to be defaults?

Saying Dark Pit should of been in over Palutena is ridiculous. Palutena has been in every KI game and was basically the other main character of Uprising. DP was in KIU and that's it. She's KI's Zelda, basically (even in Japan, the series is called "Mirror of Light: Palutena's Mirror").

I agree about her default moveset, but I know why they rolled with it: Palutena was designed as a showcase for the Custom Character feature. What better way to encourage people to customize her then by making her default set a generic blank slate. Superspeed, Lightweight and Jump Glide all drastically improve her character, especially the former two. She'd be in a much better position if tournaments still allowed customs, or if these specials were just her default to begin with.

Saying Dark Pit should of been in over Palutena is ridiculous.

I think it's fair that a series as small as Kid Icarus could be represented with just the main protagonist and a secondary antagonist/anti-hero. Similar sized series in Smash make due with one main character and a semi-clone or character otherwise based on the protagonist.

Star Fox could very easily just be repped by Fox and Wolf, Falco is basically extra. And we already see Mother with Ness and Lucas working just fine without the need to throw Jeff or Paula in there.

I'm not a huge fan of Palutena as a character. She feels too fanservicey and her relationship to Pit dances around being a boss, a love interest, or an older sister, like they can't quite figure out what they want the relationship to be. She also feels overdesigned, visually. Like they took her old KI sprite and just threw a bunch of random details at it until it looked "modern" while Pit's feels like he has an actual purpose to his design elements.

Ryce

I think it's fair that a series as small as Kid Icarus could be represented with just the main protagonist and a secondary antagonist/anti-hero.
Palutena is by far the second most popular and important character in the series. It just doesn't make any sense to include Dark Pit (or anyone else) before her.

I think it's fair that a series as small as Kid Icarus could be represented with just the main protagonist and a secondary antagonist/anti-hero. Similar sized series in Smash make due with one main character and a semi-clone or character otherwise based on the protagonist.

I feel like Palutena is different from Jeff and Paula because she was in more than one game. Technically she and Pit are the only characters that managed to be in all three KI titles. Once again, she's like Zelda in that regard, only that KI is a smaller series than LoZ.

Star Fox could very easily just be repped by Fox and Wolf, Falco is basically extra.

Honestly I like Wolf as a third SF rep but not the second. If it was just him and Fox, that means 50% of the series' representation would go to what is essentially a minor mini-boss that shows up every now and then. Star Wolf isn't really that important to SF. Star Fox is a game about teamwork, so naturally I think it'd make sense that the series' second character would be, well, a team member of SF.

In general, I feel like the series in question should get its reoccuring secondary protagonist/sidekick before its villain/anti-hero. We got Luigi before Bowser, Zelda before Ganondorf, Falco before Wolf, and of course Diddy before...yeah. Series like Fire Emblem and Mother are a different case because they have an alternating cast between games, and therefore it's better just to use the main protagonists to represent each intallment.

Scipio

Could have a chosen a better Fire Emblem game! Like pretty much anything aside from Sacred Stones!

Wha... What?!

Sacred Stones is fantastic!

And you liked FE7, it's almost the same thing, but with better presentation, a less engaging story but interesting characters nonetheless.

FE9 is as unbalanced as FE8. Just don't use Seth in the beginning and play hard mode.

Fandangox

Wha... What?!

Sacred Stones is fantastic!

And you liked FE7, it's almost the same thing, but with better presentation, a less engaging story but interesting characters nonetheless.

FE9 is as unbalanced as FE8. Just don't use Seth in the beginning and play hard mode.

8 Stones is definitively easier than 7, or 9. The map existing and characters having multiple promotions certainly does that. Also I barely remember any of the characters from 8 aside from some of the royal characters, unlike most FE's where I at least remember most of them, just didn't find them interesting.

NotLiquid

That's an error. On the JP side the octolings took over Splatnet. They forgot to make sure the images didn't change on the en side.

The Japanese site hasn't turned back from OctoNet though, even after the Splatfest was over. Plus the takeover seems a little too much effort for something that was only a competition of toppings. One of the tweets from SplatoonJP said something among the lines of there being "hope for a truce" or some such.

woopWOOP

I'd like to see Excitebiker or Balloon Fighter in the game. Excitebike almost won out against Ice Climbers, but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make him jump. However, that was ages ago and I think they could easily figure something out, even if it's just a simple hop like Bowser Jr's kart. And I think Balloon Fighter is long overdue. He's not quite as unknown as the other potential NES characters, but he deserves to be in Smash and could be a pretty fun fighter.
On one hand I think Villager's recovery might be hurting Balloon Fighter's chances a bit (especially the way they presented it in this game, AC's recovery next to the VC demo etc), but they could probably make something really unique with the elements from both Balloon Fighter and Balloon Kid. Pump attacks, pumping up bonus balloons (that hurt on impact), spark projectiles, deployable flippers... I could totally see a Balloon Fighter work!

If Bowser Jr can have an aerial verhicle that's stuck on land (that idle animation of his never gets old) I can't see why Excite Biker can't just sit on his bike at all times. A character that walks and jumps while riding a bike and fights by flipping his bike in various ways sounds hilarious. The different course hazards can be used for different specials easy. Hey, if Sonic can summon a spring then he could certainly summon an H-ramp. And ofcourse the classic 'fell off bike' position whenever he falls on the ground/falls asleep. The only downside would be that his 'home turf' would most likely be an autoscroller ;)

Another character I really expected to be an AT atleast would be Muddy Mole. Dig underground, go left and right and shoot out vertically a bunch of times. Figured his status as a Miyamoto creation gave him more of a chance, but alas. Maybe next time ya angry mole daddy.

Ryce

Another character I really expected to be an AT atleast would be Muddy Mole. Dig underground, go left and right and shoot out vertically a bunch of times. Figured his status as a Miyamoto creation gave him more of a chance, but alas. Maybe next time ya angry mole daddy.
I've always been curious about Miyamoto's involvement in Mole Mania. "Miyamoto created Muddy Mole" has become an accepted Internet truth, but I can't find anything supporting that claim. He's merely listed as a producer in the credits.

Honestly, Palutena was one of the best inclusions in this game and we all know it. Yeah she isn't cut out for top level competitive play but I love her still.

I wish I could explain in proper detail how different Roy actually is now, but mobile...he's basically "Luigified" in a sense where his normals are slightly different and he's deceptively quick compared to Marth/Lucina.

I really hope that if customs don't return (which I hope they stay), Sakurai will make an exception for Palutena and change her current specials to some of her Smash 4 customs, just give me Lightweight and Explosive Flame.
If they do return, give her Land Mine to make her a Snake clone =P. /s

The feels I had when Roy outspeeds Marth in a Smash game... :lol

Give Marth the better air speed compared to Roy, but then again, Marth kind of sucks in arial game in Smash 4. But Marth should be better in the air, while Roy can work better on the ground.

I would much prefer if customs were reworked in the next Smash, all of them available at the start, reworked to be more unique like Counter vs Lightweight, but have the amount of customs reduced to only 1 for each special move aside from the defaults.

Muzy72

Banned
Honestly I wouldn't even mind if customs aren't available from the start, but the current method of unlocking them is so ridiculous. Make it so that beating Classic mode unlocks one set of customs, and beating All Star unlocks the other set of customs.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Customs are not gonna be taken seriously by anyone until they are available to be used in all modes and they are able to be chosen from the CSS. They should not be any different from choosing an assist in Marvel vs Capcom, but the way Sakurai and/or Sakurai's wife handled the UI of this game is atrocious. Very uncharacteristic from them.

I only want customs to be available in most online modes. :/

My favorite thing about the last update actually was the addition for 1v1 For Glory Custom Special tourneys in Tourney Mode. They let you use customs but no equipment. It's basically where I go now whenever I play as Palutena online.

Beforehand they literally forced you to play with equipment in addition to custom specials in Custom Glory brackets. Playing as my Custom Palu (no equipment of course) in that environment was probably the most grueling thing I've done. So many people messing with the physics of their characters or using ridiculous self-healing or critical hit badges. I'm glad it's all behind me now, though.

Customs are not gonna be taken seriously by anyone until they are available to be used in all modes and they are able to be chosen from the CSS. They should not be any different from choosing an assist in Marvel vs Capcom, but the way Sakurai and/or Sakurai's wife handled the UI of this game is atrocious. Very uncharacteristic from them.

In addition, some custom moves admittedly need to be rebalanced as well. Thankfully Sakurai and his team have shown they're willing to balance custom moves as shown by the last patch, but I think they ought to really touch the controversial ones, those being Kong Cyclone and Timber Counter. Basically, make them less 'jank' as many tournament players like to call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom