• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Mega Man had an enormous amount of relevance to Nintendo regardless of whether he was Capcom's mascot or not and was probably the most requested newcomer for Smash 4 before the game's reveal.

Plus if we're counting Ryu as Capcom's mascot then well, he got in regardless so :V

batfax

...I don't want a Atlus rep.

The only reason I can think of for them is that SEGA owns them now, so some people (like me) wanting a second SEGA rep would get their wish and they have a lot of games on Nintendo systems. I think SMT even started on SFC and Jack Frost even got a game on Virtual Boy, a thing very, very few characters can claim.

If we got a SEGA related RPG character though, I'm still pulling for a PSO character. Maybe Rico since she has a pretty good variety of RED weapons to use, has no reason not to be able to use Techniques, and could have a totally bitchin' FS as Dark Falz.

Dr. Buni

The only reason I can think of for them is that SEGA owns them now, so some people (like me) wanting a second SEGA rep would get their wish and they have a lot of games on Nintendo systems. I think SMT even started on SFC and Jack Frost even got a game on Virtual Boy, a thing very, very few characters can claim.

If we got a SEGA related RPG character though, I'm still pulling for a PSO character. Maybe Rico since she has a pretty good variety of RED weapons to use, has no reason not to be able to use Techniques, and could have a totally bitchin' FS as Dark Falz.
Well, Jack Frost is really cute, so I wouldn't mind him being playable in Smash. But if the ATLUS rep is supposed to be a Persona character, I don't want it.

Plus, I would prefer NiGHTS as a second SEGA rep.

Edit: """Leaked""" pictures of the Inkling: http://imgur.com/gallery/SmbRG/new. Seems to be already confirmed fake.

NotLiquid

I kind of agree with Tamaki in that I don't think we'll be getting an all-purpose Direct anytime soon. Most of the titles left coming out this year are already being covered on social media channels and all the 2016 stuff will most likely be done in a January Direct. I'd have believed a full Direct a week or so ago before we got stuff like Tri-Force Heroes and Fatal Frame news but now we're kind of beyond this point. The only title they really have left to push is Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and maybe some Pokémon stuff, but I don't think the latter will be in a Direct and the former is already so low on the radar I don't think they imagine it's worth it.

If this news is true, a mini-Direct is the best bet for the marketing add-on content in existing titles. Something like the Splatoon Direct where the announcement of whatever is handled "in-universe" rather than presented by a developer. If there's an Octoling update or any major Splatoon update, maybe it'll be handled like a live-streamed Squid Sisters news segment. If there's a Smash character, maybe it'll be announced like the pre-E3 event or Robin / Lucina reveal. Hell if it's a Splatoon newcomer then it might just all encompass a Splatoon stream or something.

Also you can tell that Splatoon image is fake because whoever made it just rotated the Inkling trophy and edited the eyes.

So reasons we might see a Direct

- Octolings are strongly implied to be coming soon to Splatoon. Adding another entire new character to the game is a big deal.
- A new Smash character (Inklings) have been strongly rumored to come out before the end of the month
- Twilight Princess HD listing appeared on the Wii U eShop
- Pokemon Z is being teased via the anime and other things, and seems very likely to be announced soon
- Mario Tennis Smash is coming out soon and we have no information on it at all.

Is this confirmed to be an HD remake/remaster or could it be a re-release of the Wii version?

Define confirmed. All previous eWii releases used icons with Wii logo and this thing doesn't. So Nintendo could have decided to change the icon convention, or maybe they don't care about the logo while testing, or maybe they've started to troll hackers, or maybe, just maybe, it is a Wii U game after all. Which of these is most probable is your call.

NeonZ

Mega Man is barely used as a mascot by Capcom nowadays.

...I don't want a Atlus rep.

Megaman was the actual main character of his own series though. Jack Frost had a "mascot" role, but only actually starred in a single Virtual Boy game.

Besides, wouldn't Megami Tensei, a novel, being the origin of the SMT franchise disqualify everything related from it from getting to Smash? On the other hand, it did go in a direction pretty different from the source... what's the point where the origins stop mattering?

Golnei

Besides, wouldn't Megami Tensei, a novel, being the origin of the SMT franchise disqualify everything related from it from getting to Smash? On the other hand, it did go in a direction pretty different from the source... what's the point where the origins stop mattering?

Since it's an entire game franchise that spun off from the book, it'd be reasonable to discount its origins. Especially since any character eligible for Smash would have debuted in a game, rather than the novel.

Dr. Buni

Megaman was the actual main character of his own series though. Jack Frost had a "mascot" role, but only actually starred in a single Virtual Boy game.
Right... At any rate, Jack Frost still is the only ATLUS rep I would be fine with. It is not that I dislike Persona or SMT, it is just that I don't want more anime people in Smash (besides Isaac, who I don't support, but who would be a reasonable addition to the roster). I understand this opinion might be unpopular around here, but one of the things I like the most about Smash are the unorthodox roster, with all sorts of weird creatures fighting each other. Characters like the Fire Emblem ones, ZSS and the Kid Icarus cast (to a considerable lesser extent) are just boring to me (and I consider myself to be a big fan of Ike and his games). As would be a Persona/SMT character. Jack Frost, on the other hand, would be really cool. Especially if he had a Black Frost alt:
latest

Jawmuncher

For me I prefer the Humanoids. The "unorthodox" characters are the one's I like least in smash.
Also by humanoid I mean realistic proportions. So mario and crew count as "unorthodox"

Wait a second

Look at the bits I bolded and underlined

You just made my day with your subtle confirmation
:p

Well done for spotting my cunning reveal. Here's a reward:

Well, Jack Frost is really cute, so I wouldn't mind him being playable in Smash. But if the ATLUS rep is supposed to be a Persona character, I don't want it.

Plus, I would prefer NiGHTS as a second SEGA rep.

Edit: """Leaked""" pictures of the Inkling: http://imgur.com/gallery/SmbRG/new. Seems to be already confirmed fake.
Ewww, that 'joins the fight' placard.
Still, inkling would be good.

As for humanoids vs unorthadox. I... don't have any strong feelings either way to be honest :eek: More Animu? Great! More unorthadox? Great! Considering how picky I am, if it's someone I'd actually play then I consider it a small miracle :3

Azure J

This discussion has made me realize that I play a lot more humanoid characters in Smash than unorthodox based on the way we're classifying characters, but at the same time, that's more because their fighting styles suit me. Bring on all the characters and I'm sure at some point there'll be some wacky character with a really great playstyle.

woopWOOP

I've just booted up some Smash WiiU for some online For Fun after not doing so for a few weeks and I noticed there's no conquest going on at the moment. Are they running out of ideas? When was the last one?
THEY MUST BE PREPARING SOMETHING FOR THE BOMBSHELL ANNOUNCEMENTS THIS WEEK OBVIOUSLY

I figured they'd just recycle the year's worth of conquests over and over, but I guess not.

It would be a silly thing to end this early. It hasn't even been a year yet for the Wii U and they can't take much effort to maintain.

I figured they'd just recycle the year's worth of conquests over and over, but I guess not.

It would be a silly thing to end this early. It hasn't even been a year yet for the Wii U and they can't take much effort to maintain.

I stopped paying much attention to these a long time ago. The reward being just more coins didn't help admittedly but I think I would've been more intrigued if there was some kind of running total of who you fought for or something (I know you can look through previous conquests but i was thinking more a single stat page type thing.) While splatfests are a bit of a mess I feel like they're still better handled than conquests because at least they push the cameraderie / team feeling more while it's in action :p

woopWOOP

I think when you got over a certain amount of contribution points (30? 40?) and were on the winning team you'd get a piece of equipment based on the team's character instead. I have a few with very high stats and a bonus effects (starting with fireflower or something) that may have come from that.

It wasn't anything major, but I liked to pick a team and gain some points every time I played online. Biggest problem was that 80% of the time the people playing For Fun do jack shit and just crouch spam together, so I couldn't really fight and gain points normally without everybody ganging up on me :/

Dr. Buni

Biggest problem was that 80% of the time the people playing For Fun do jack shit and just crouch spam together, so I couldn't really fight and gain points normally without everybody ganging up on me :/
That's called a Taunt Party. I don't see the problem with them, the mode is called For Fun after all. People will do whatever is fun for them.

Taunt parties are rare in the For Glory modes, btw.

I think when you got over a certain amount of contribution points (30? 40?) and were on the winning team you'd get a piece of equipment based on the team's character instead. I have a few with very high stats and a bonus effects (starting with fireflower or something) that may have come from that.

It wasn't anything major, but I liked to pick a team and gain some points every time I played online. Biggest problem was that 80% of the time the people playing For Fun do jack shit and just crouch spam together, so I couldn't really fight and gain points normally without everybody ganging up on me :/
Oh... I think I got some equipment in the past now that you mention it but I care even less about equips than I do coins :p

Equipment reminds me a lot of when they tried to add modifiers/stats to the soul calibur series: most people I know just played 'normal' mode so they didn't have to deal with them :p

woopWOOP

That's called a Taunt Party. I don't see the problem with them, the mode is called For Fun after all. People will do whatever is fun for them.

I'm not above goofing around and not playing by the game's rules. Sure, I'll just hop on your head for 2 minutes, then suicide during sudden death. Plus I don't have the heart fighting anybody that doesn't throw a punch back anyway. Also I'll take any chance to show people just how hilarious Duck Hunt Duo's edge and edge-hanging's animations are.

It really sucks when I just want to play 4-player FFA matches with hazards and items on though. It's gotten so bad that the last few times, before taking that break, I had to leave rooms 5 to 7 times until I found people actually playing (and then I'm not even counting immediately leaving when I see the same taunt-players or players called 'peaceful' or 'harmless').

Got lucky and got a fun, active room right away this night however.

Dr. Buni

I'm not above goofing around and not playing by the game's rules. Sure, I'll just hop on your head for 2 minutes, then suicide during sudden death. Plus I don't have the heart fighting anybody that doesn't throw a punch back anyway. Also I'll take any chance to show people just how hilarious Duck Hunt Duo's edge and edge-hanging's animations are.

It really sucks when I just want to play 4-player FFA matches with hazards and items on though. It's gotten so bad that the last few times, before taking that break, I had to leave rooms 5 to 7 times until I found people actually playing (and then I'm not even counting immediately leaving when I see the same taunt-players or players called 'peaceful' or 'harmless').

Got lucky and got a fun, active room right away this night however.
I understand perfectly. I said that mostly because I have been seen some negativity towards taunt party players around the internet, which left me puzzled. Anyways, there have been occasions when I jumped on For Fun looking for actual fights and struggled to find one, too. Also, I am not sure which version you are playing, but one thing I noticed is that taunt parties seem to be a lot more common on the 3DS than on the Wii U.

woopWOOP

I understand perfectly. I said that mostly because I have been seen some negativity towards taunt party players around the internet, which left me puzzled. Anyways, there have been occasions when I jumped on For Fun looking for actual fights and struggled to find one, too. Also, I am not sure which version you are playing, but one thing I noticed is that taunt parties seem to be a lot more common on the 3DS than on the Wii U.
I tend to switch back 'n forth (split my chances of winning the Conquest contest, hoho!), but I recall it happening in the 3DS version more, yeah. I suppose because it's the more popular of the two and there are more 'casual' players fooling around in that version.

It's too bad because the 3DS version has the better stage selection overall, imo :p

Dr. Buni

It's too bad because the 3DS version has the better stage selection overall, imo :p
Yeah, the 3DS has some incredibly fun stages, the stage selection is only "bad" from a competitive perspective. I am not sure if I agree with the selection being necessarily better than the Wii U's, though.
I've had 1v1 For Glory matches stop and just turn into a stare down for a while quite a few times. Always a fun occurrence, though half the time you get kicked by the server for idling.
Hah. That happened to me once, after something ridiculous caused the opponent to SD.

Crayolan

I've had 1v1 For Glory matches stop and just turn into a stare down for a while quite a few times. Always a fun occurrence, though half the time you get kicked by the server for idling.

Do Nintendo normally announce a Direct in 2 or 3 days advance notice, though?

They usually do that, sometimes even a day before, or that one random time a mini-Direct was just uploaded with no announcement.

I need news soon. I don't think my heart can take much more of this suspense.

Reggie and maybe Bill to present a new Direct style presentation live on Colbert and ending it with the Zelda Symphony tonight, believe!

NotLiquid

I'm thinking we either get an announcement of an announcement tomorrow or we get nothing the rest of the week. Usually announcements of Nintendo Directs or such tend to be held earlier in the week no? Then again that's just me.

Pokemaniac

I'm thinking we either get an announcement of an announcement tomorrow or we get nothing the rest of the week. Usually announcements of Nintendo Directs or such tend to be held earlier in the week no? Then again that's just me.

There's a bit of variance depending on the exact content, but Nintendo directs tend to be announced around 24 hours beforehand. Game-specific ones and really large general ones may get announced a bit earlier. Nintendo Direct minis just get posted on YouTube with no prior announcement.

Ryce

I'm going to be bummed if the rumors don't pan out. The Inklings are such a perfect fit for Smash Bros. They're like a more Nintendo-oriented Snake.

Dr. Buni

The comparisons between Inkling and Snake don't make a lot of sense to me, especially when we don't even know their moveset in Smash yet (assuming they are in Smash).

Nways, how do you think Inklings will scale to other characters? I am thinking they will be as tall as Mario probably. I was wondering about this because I tend to gravitate to the shorter characters in the roster (because smaller hitboxes and stuff).

I'm going to be bummed if the rumors don't pan out. The Inklings are such a perfect fit for Smash Bros. They're like a more Nintendo-oriented Snake.

Cosmic Marios are more like a Nintendo-oriented Snake, unless we of course notice the similarity to 1995's Bad Rayman.

/snark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom