• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's never a time when Pichu wouldn't be exciting!

pichu_smashified__supporter_pack__by_kryptonlion-d8vclr0.png

RomanceDawn

I hate that I genuinely started wanting Papyrus in Smash. I didn't want to buy this far into the hype, damnit, but he'd make for a fun Zoner! At least I'm aware that he's a no hoper, but...

Glad I'm not the only one in denial!

Don't worry there are many of us out there. It's only a matter of time now. Every day that passes is another day closer to playable Ridley. Maybe not this game, maybe not the next, but some day...

Village

I'm actually still surprised that Nintendo even made Dry Bowser. Considering what he is/means he's a surprisingly dark addition to the otherwise fairly soft and cuddly mario franchise. No complaints from me though: I grew up on stuff like Brother's Grimm fairy tales so i'm used to seeing characters resurrected from the dead or reassembled from their chopped up body parts only to spring to life again :p

Rather than adding clones I really think the game could benefit from a whole bunch of alt costumes like Dry Bowser, various Zeldas, etc. Sakurai might've said the odd thing or two about not doing them to represent different characters or soemthing in the past but alph and the original plans for Lucina show he's not really 100% stuck against them.

Have anyone of you played NSMB2 on the 3ds? Regular bowser is all like " oh I got you mario"

Dry Bowser just looks like he's trying to kill you , like he doesn't even give a shit about peach. He just wants to killyou .
And then with that music

Nightii

Banned
Please fix custom move issues, please fix custom move issues, please fix custom move issues...

A new character or stages would be nice, but they are secondary to the one thing I need to happen to the game, please Sakurai. ;-;

I know it gets mentioned from time to time anyhoo but making mii fighters available to use in for glory would be a welcome addition if nothing else. It'd give me a reason to make a viridi swordsperson :3

Nightii

Banned
I know it gets mentioned from time to time anyhoo but making mii fighters available to use in for glory would be a welcome addition if nothing else. It'd give me a reason to make a viridi swordsperson :3
A new For Glory mode with Miis and Customs would be perfect, especially after they added Custom Moves (No Equipment) Tourneys.

A new For Glory mode with Miis and Customs would be perfect, especially after they added Custom Moves (No Equipment) Tourneys.
The fact that they're allowed in tournaments just makes them being locked out of for glory all the stranger. It's not like their movesets are particularly OP compared to the customs on 'actual' characters either.

ffdgh

It's weird not to be hopeful for a balance patch for once. Not too much else is needed balance wise that I can think of lol.

Nightii

Banned
There's no need for a new For Glory mode. Just remove the Mii and custom moves restriction from the current one.

That would be ideal for me, but the salt and whining that would ensue...yeah.

I would be more than happy with having a happy little online corner to play the game how I enjoy it.

There's no need for a new For Glory mode. Just remove the Mii and custom moves restriction from the current one.

No custom moves in For Glory, just stick to Miis

People connecting Miis to custom moves is the worst possible thing that could ever happen to Miis. It's hard enough to get people to even admit Miis are characters in Smash, let alone if they were tied to a system that high level players are very much against.

The biggest struggle Mii players have had to face is having their character banned with customs in tournaments. It happens enough and is so frequent, that Miis absolutely cannot have any ties to custom moves at all.

Nightii

Banned
For Glory is already shunned by those guys, why does it matter at all? Unfortunately, Miis will never be truly accepted, the connection with customs is already made and sealed in the collective.

For Glory is already shunned by those guys, why does it matter at all? Unfortunately, Miis will never be truly accepted, the connection with customs is already made and sealed in the collective.

No, it actually hasn't been settled and it's a huge pile of drama whenever a tournament puts out its rules. Mii mains have to fight tooth and nail every tournament to prove that Miis have no connection to custom moves so they can be allowed to use their characters as they were intended to be used.

Customs are dead competitively, but Miis still very much have a chance, so anything that would give people an excuse to tie them to customs should be avoided.

I don't want Miis blamed for "destroying" For Glory. And they would be. Whether that's fair or not. Trust me, I've spent days arguing with people on the Internet about where Miis are competitively.

Why not both? Why make Palutena suffer for the rest of Smash 4's lifespan?

Under absolutely no circumstances should Miis ever be tied to custom moves in any way or they're dead competitively. They WILL be banned by major tournaments if they ever have a hint of being connected to custom moves. Them being tied to customs is probably the #1 excuse for banning them in a tournament.

Mii mains are starting to finally have their voice heard and rules are being more friendly to them, and that runs an extremely high risk of going south if Miis "ruin" For Glory by bringing customs with them.

It's a matter of tying something that generally everyone wants (Miis in FG) to something that's highly controversial in the community (customs). Which would bring the thing everyone wants down.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why not both? Why make Palutena suffer for the rest of Smash 4's lifespan?
Because competitive players would have to learn who knows how many more matchups according to custom moves and characters and they don't want that. Which I find dumb. You don't see Marvel players banning assists.

You know, as a Palutena main I can't help but feel somewhat jealous of Mii players.

They may sort of have a chance to have full access to all their moves, but Palutena, despite being designed similarly in that having fully unique custom moves, is basically going to be left to rot just because of the way Smash 4's menus are designed.

I support Mii Fighters having their stuff, by the way. I just think it's sad Palutena couldn't get the same salvation they did, despite being another character based around using alternative moves.

Every day thinking about this game, I just pray to Sakurai in hopes of him one day letting Palutena function like the Mii Fighters (being able to use them outside of Customs ON) or flatout replacing her default specials with her vastly superior custom moves (Superspeed and Lightweight are the mandatory two, maybe Jump Glide). Honestly I'd prefer the latter as Palutena would have her best moves no matter what.

Nightii

Banned
No, it actually hasn't been settled and it's a huge pile of drama whenever a tournament puts out its rules. Mii mains have to fight tooth and nail every tournament to prove that Miis have no connection to custom moves so they can be allowed to use their characters as they were intended to be used.

Customs are dead competitively, but Miis still very much have a chance, so anything that would give people an excuse to tie them to customs should be avoided.

I don't want Miis blamed for "destroying" For Glory. And they would be. Whether that's fair or not. Trust me, I've spent days arguing with people on the Internet about where Miis are competitively.
It's already been settled in the minds of the people that "matter", they won't be swayed, and they will get their way, as sad and cynical as it sounds.

Even if custom moves didn't exist, Miis would get the same reception they currently get at large, there is no avoiding that, whether that's fair or not, but then again, the competitive community doesn't really care about fair, they care about what they like.

Honestly, here's an idea for custom moves in For Glory: Just give us a toggle to turn them on or off when looking for other players. Or, I dunno, make a "Custom For Glory" menu or something. Just have Miis available no matter what.

Obviously making them standard in FG wouldn't be the best idea, but there wouldn't be a problem if they were just an option. If someone who doesn't like playing with customs complained, it'd just be on them for turning customs on to begin with.

Why are you responding to the poster that occasionally shitpost here ? He always do that here so it's better if we just block him.

dude what? i only post occasionally but im not shitposting

plenty of other people say this kind of stuff, im not seriously getting anything out of people being upset or whatever. it would just follow the pattern of the past few directs where people are hoping for smash stuff and we got nothing. its a joke yall can chill out a bit

im as hype as anyone else for smash news, though at this point i honestly dont know what to expect from it

dont be a dick just because im not part of the Frequent Posters Club or whatever

Nightii

Banned
In an ideal world the Wrench toggle would include a third option called "Specials" or something, it would let you pick your specials of choice after choosing a character, and all For Glory modes would have Off/Specials variations.

That and the option to unlock all moves (whether free or at a very small charge like 1 dollar) are all that's critically missing from the game, imo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
dude what? i only post occasionally but im not shitposting

plenty of other people say this kind of stuff, im not seriously getting anything out of people being upset or whatever. it would just follow the pattern of the past few directs where people are hoping for smash stuff and we got nothing. its a joke yall can chill out a bit

im as hype as anyone else for smash news, though at this point i honestly dont know what to expect from it

dont be a dick just because im not part of the Frequent Posters Club or whatever

Alright, my apologies because I just recalled that you made few shitposts in the past. Also plenty of other people says this kind of stuff doesn't make it okay. If they jump off the bridge, would you jump with them?

Uhh, could you explain how the heck I called your shitpost out = Frequent Posters Club? I failed to see how could I be a dick when you just made a shitpost right there.

Alright, my apologies because I just recalled that you made few shitposts in the past. Also plenty of other people says this kind of stuff doesn't make it okay. If they jump off the bridge, would you jump with them?

Uhh, could you explain how the heck I called your shitpost out = Frequent Posters Club? I failed to see how could I be a dick when you just made a shitpost right there.

telling people to block me is kind of being a dick. but i dont want to make this a whole big thing so we can just drop it for now

do yall think that the Direct is going to announce some smash DLC and then we get it immediately (or within a week or two)? or do you think it's going to be more like 'coming 2016' stuff?

Given the length of time if there's Smash stuff there could be a big, E3 style character blow out in time for Christmas.

Or could just be Wolf to tie-into the absent Star Fox Zero. Whatever, papa needs more content for his bros. game either way.

woopWOOP

do yall think that the Direct is going to announce some smash DLC and then we get it immediately (or within a week or two)? or do you think it's going to be more like 'coming 2016' stuff?
I expect a trailer for 1, maybe 2 characters to be released somewhere in late Summer '16
#glasshalfempty

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
telling people to block me is kind of being a dick. but i dont want to make this a whole big thing so we can just drop it for now

Ah, right. I did said that. That was really dick of me and I'm really sorry about that.

Edited: Boss Doggie kept yarning for his character, Wolf. Would he finally howl in victory?

Dr. Buni

That would be ideal for me, but the salt and whining that would ensue...yeah.

I would be more than happy with having a happy little online corner to play the game how I enjoy it.
Yeah, more online modes would be great. Smash playerbase is big enough to accommodate various online game modes.
I think the character(s) will be released immediately.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Direct starts
Inkling trailer!
Leads off to new Splatoon DLC
blah blah updates on mario maker and ultra smash whatever
then something new about star fox zero
bam! Star Wolf introduced
WOLF CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT
super hype
blah blah blah new games #FE FEFates Pokkén whatever
"these are not the only games we have for next year"
Twilight Princess HD announced
One last announcement
Retro working on DKC6
K. Rool trailer to end the day

everyone is happy

Hatchtag

Banned
where's the comparison of characters to presidential candidates/high school bullies/pedophile bait? man smash hype just isn't as insane without gonzo.

Direct starts
Inkling trailer!
Leads off to new Splatoon DLC
blah blah updates on mario maker and ultra smash whatever
then something new about star fox zero
bam! Star Wolf introduced
WOLF CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT
super hype
blah blah blah new games #FE FEFates Pokkén whatever
"these are not the only games we have for next year"
Twilight Princess HD announced
One last announcement
Retro working on DKC6
K. Rool trailer to end the day

everyone is happy

Multiple smash character trailers paired with relevant game infodumps would probably be the most hype-building direct possible

but i honestly am not expecting more than 1 to be announced

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Multiple smash character trailers paired with relevant game infodumps would probably be the most hype-building direct possible

but i honestly am not expecting more than 1 to be announced
We've had two characters revealed in the same direct previously (Villager/Mega Man, Mii Fighters/Palutena, Roy/Ryu), sometimes with a third one a few hours later (Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man). Not to mention the last character update included three characters at the same time.

I see two happening, realistically. I just don't believe they've been working on only one character for the past six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom