• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
D13H75p.jpg

Has co-starred in a game with Wario:

Solid Snake ✗
Mega Man ✗
Pac-Man
Rayman ✗
Eggman ✗
Gordon Freeman ✗
Batman ✗
Bomberman ✔︎

That's really the only factor that should matter.

Wasn't Wario only in the western releases of that game? I think it was originally just a Bomberman game.

That pic's insanely cool, Tyeforce. But where're your character backgrounds?!?

Aren't the Sonic character's names also all capitalized in Smash Bros. for some weird reason? Same with the Pokemon too.

In Brawl, all the Sonic game titles for trophy/song sources and the like were in all-caps for whatever reason.

Despite regularly playing it, I don't remember if that's the case for Smash 4.

TDLink

I really liked that image with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, and Cloud, and I thought I could add to it, so I made this:

It’s still hard to believe that this will be a thing soon. Mario vs. Pikachu vs. Link vs. Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. PAC-MAN vs. Cloud vs. Sonic. Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Mega Man, Street Fighter, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, and Sonic the Hedgehog, among many others, all in the same game. That’s crazy, and incredible. Super Smash Bros. is amazing.

Here's some fun speculation:

What if Sakurai won't stop until you can do 8 player smash with characters from 8 different companies? Would leave 3 more to be included...

My bets:

Snake, Bomberman, or Simon Belmont (Konami)
Banjo-Kazooie (Rare/Microsoft)
Jibanyan or Layton (Level 5)

Dr. Buni

Man, they look great together. I still couldn't believe that it actually happens.
Actually, they look so different from each other that I think they look terrible together. That being said, it's quite something to have all these icons in the same game.

We need more. Kinda weird how I am more interested in getting more iconic third party characters over Nintendo characters now.
Here's some fun speculation:

What if Sakurai won't stop until you can do 8 player smash with characters from 8 different companies? Would leave 3 more to be included...

My bets:

Snake, Bomberman, or Simon Belmont (Konami)
Banjo-Kazooie (Rare/Microsoft)
Jibanyan or Layton (Level 5)
Okay then.

Snake, Bomberman or Alucard (Like it or not, he is the Cloud of Castlevania)
Banjo-Kazooie
I want to say Crash Bandicoot, but a character from a company that worked/works closely with Nintendo is a safer bet, so I am going with Layton, too.

Platy

D13H75p.jpg

Has co-starred in a game with Wario:

Solid Snake ✗
Mega Man ✗
Pac-Man
Rayman ✗
Eggman ✗
Gordon Freeman ✗
Batman ✗
Bomberman ✔︎

That's really the only factor that should matter.

You know who co-starred with EIGHT chars from the smash crew WAY before smash and STILL ISN'T IN SMASH ?

uIyRnU9.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0ZaYdLaOQ

THE L TETRIMINO !

EIGHT !
That is like the Smash 64 roster if it was made in the NES days because Pokemon, F-Zero, Star Fox or even Earthbound weren't released at that time !

Ryce

Alucard (Like it or not, he is the Cloud of Castlevania)
Eh… not really. Simon is a recurring protagonist, he’s the main character in Judgment (ahead of Alucard), and he’s the Castlevania representative in crossovers like DreamMix TV World Fighters and Konami Wai Wai World. He’s the obvious face of the series.

let's not forget simon's breakout crossover role in evolution skateboarding

the only crossover games with sole castlevania representatives that aren't simon i can think of are the konami racing games, which use dracula instead

edit: actually the japanese version of scribblenauts only has alucard

RK128

Just for fun, I wanted to make up a movest for Rayman if they got included in Smash :).

Rayman: He would have his look from Rayman 3 (but with elements from Origins/Legends added to him) and his moveset pulls from most of the series; Rayman 1-3 alongside the Rabbids series and Origins/Legends.

rayman_3__hoodlum_havoc_steam_grid_view_by_thewolfgalaxy-d7foheg.png

-A: Three-Hit Punch combo; mash the A button for repeated punches ala Little Mac
-Side-A: Side Punch (from Rayman Legends)
-Down-A: Sweep Kick (from Origins/Legends)
-Up-B: Uppercut
-Side Smash: Charged Fist (Origins/Legends)
-Up Smash: Charged Uppercut (Origins/Legends)
-Down Smash: Spin Punch (Based on the Dash attack from Origins/Legends but its stationary)
-Dash Attack: Spinning Dash Punch (Origins/Legends)
-B: Energy Ball (Rayman 2) or Air Costume; shooting blasts of wind (Rayman 3)
-Side B: Metal Fist; launching both fists at once (Rayman 3)
-Up B: Helicopter Hat (Rayman 3)
-Down B: Ground Pound (Origins/Legends)
-A-Air: Random Punches/Kicks (Rayman Origins/Legends)
-Down Air: Kick attack
-Up Air: Upward Kick (Rayman Origins/Legends)
-Grab: Chain Fist (Rayman 3)
-Final Smash: Rayman Jam; the Rabbids and Rayman's friends invade the level and Rayman dons the outfits from the Raving Rabbids games, dancing with the Rabbids while a short version of Madder plays. It ends with Rayman posing with the Rabbids and his friends, with a blast knocking everyone off the stage

What do you guys think :)? Would love to see him enter Smash and his moveset fits perfectly with the rest of the cast :D.

PK Gaming

Random thought:

Villager flips his lid after getting that invitation, Chrom laments over not being a playable, Roy says "I've returned at last!" in his trailer, Cloud says "Never thought i'd see the day" in his own trailer.

It's minor, but I love how the characters themselves seem to take getting into Smash pretty seriously.

Richie

Random thought:

Villager flips his lid after getting that invitation, Chrom laments over not being a playable, Roy says "I've returned at last!" in his trailer, Cloud says "Never thought i'd see the day" in his own trailer.

It's minor, but I love how the characters themselves seem to take getting into Smash pretty seriously.

YES! It's such an amazing detail. Also, Snake even going out of his way to study the Smash mechanics back in the initial Brawl trailer. Plus being told in the Codecs that it was a once in a lifetime chance, encouraged to make the most of it :)

:I

:(

RK128

Random thought:

Smash is in a number of ways, entering gaming all of fame. So of course game characters are going to treat being part of the fun seriously :D!

It is a nice touch to the character trailers and I hope it continues in December when Wolf and other characters are announced :).

Platy

Random thought:

JFRz7L5.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=102714

eVj82gT.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=110314

ba5oyBy.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040615

rygPWzI.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=062215

4wtMoK0.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=062915

nCDYb4n.png

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=071315

I LOVE the "roy was ignored on smash 4" comics by katie so that was PERFECT

Hopefully soon to be:

VLoJsMY.png

Amazing image but can someone please add Pikachu and Link? There's two from Capcom so it'll be fine and those two should be there! Thanks :D
Oops quoted the wrong one but you get the idea! Aw man Bomberman would so fit here ;_;

I really liked that image with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, and Cloud, and I thought I could add to it, so I made this:

It's still hard to believe that this will be a thing soon. Mario vs. Pikachu vs. Link vs. Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. PAC-MAN vs. Cloud vs. Sonic. Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Mega Man, Street Fighter, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, and Sonic the Hedgehog, among many others, all in the same game. That's crazy, and incredible. Super Smash Bros. is amazing.

Looks like great minds think alike :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Random thought:

Yep, that was pretty cool things about Smash universe. I wish that they could have done more with invitational letters tho but hey, I'm not complaint tho. Cloud's comment was priceless. :lol

Hatchtag

Banned
Random thought:

I've always loved this too, it's really cool and one of the things that makes it feel really special.

Javier

Random thought:

Also great is Ryu stating "I am looking for a challenge" and Doc Louis telling Little Mac that "Smash ain't no joke".

I have finally seen the Link light

all those damn "let me throw my projectiles all at once and spam down air even though it gets me punished" Link mains in For Glory had turned me away from Link but he's so damn good.

Morts

Just for fun, I wanted to make up a movest for Rayman if they got included in Smash :).

Rayman: He would have his look from Rayman 3 (but with elements from Origins/Legends added to him) and his moveset pulls from most of the series; Rayman 1-3 alongside the Rabbids series and Origins/Legends.

rayman_3__hoodlum_havoc_steam_grid_view_by_thewolfgalaxy-d7foheg.png

-A: Three-Hit Punch combo; mash the A button for repeated punches ala Little Mac
-Side-A: Side Punch (from Rayman Legends)
-Down-A: Sweep Kick (from Origins/Legends)
-Up-B: Uppercut
-Side Smash: Charged Fist (Origins/Legends)
-Up Smash: Charged Uppercut (Origins/Legends)
-Down Smash: Spin Punch (Based on the Dash attack from Origins/Legends but its stationary)
-Dash Attack: Spinning Dash Punch (Origins/Legends)
-B: Energy Ball (Rayman 2) or Air Costume; shooting blasts of wind (Rayman 3)
-Side B: Metal Fist; launching both fists at once (Rayman 3)
-Up B: Helicopter Hat (Rayman 3)
-Down B: Ground Pound (Origins/Legends)
-A-Air: Random Punches/Kicks (Rayman Origins/Legends)
-Down Air: Kick attack
-Up Air: Upward Kick (Rayman Origins/Legends)
-Grab: Chain Fist (Rayman 3)
-Final Smash: Rayman Jam; the Rabbids and Rayman's friends invade the level and Rayman dons the outfits from the Raving Rabbids games, dancing with the Rabbids while a short version of Madder plays. It ends with Rayman posing with the Rabbids and his friends, with a blast knocking everyone off the stage

What do you guys think :)? Would love to see him enter Smash and his moveset fits perfectly with the rest of the cast :D.

I voted for Rayman sixty or seventy times, but I bet he won't get added since there's no way to make him into an amiibo. Pretty solid moveset though I prefer Final Smashes that have you do something, maybe give him the mosquito?

Rayman having an odd amiibo would be the last reason he wouldn't be added.

They managed to make Game and Watch and Mii amiibos work fine, despite assumed potential issues with those.

Luma has a stand on Rosalina's amiibo.

SalvaPot

I voted for Rayman sixty or seventy times, but I bet he won't get added since there's no way to make him into an amiibo. Pretty solid moveset though I prefer Final Smashes that have you do something, maybe give him the mosquito?

They totally can:
316px-Rayman_Leptys_Figure.jpg

Neiteio

It's still hard to believe that this will be a thing soon. Mario vs. Pikachu vs. Link vs. Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. PAC-MAN vs. Cloud vs. Sonic. Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Mega Man, Street Fighter, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, and Sonic the Hedgehog, among many others, all in the same game. That's crazy, and incredible. Super Smash Bros. is amazing.
Incredible image. Can't wait to try this matchup!

Zubz

Banned
They totally can:
316px-Rayman_Leptys_Figure.jpg

Woah! That's pretty neat. I just expected a Rayman Amiibo'd be encased in plastic or something, but I guess it can work without being a garish abomination after all!

I just wonder if they could get a pose like that to work for a CSS Render without being too conspicuous.

Depends on which Bahamut and Ridley we're talking about.

Probably Smash U stage NPCs.

Regarding Rayman amiibo, a few more "creative" solutions of similar and dissimilar sort are possible. Make him pose behind the photoboard like in R1 and RO (while visible from behind). Cover him in loads of transparent plastic because of special circumstances. Have him lie down or duck (no Rayman Legends pun intended). It boils down to higher ups in dev team wanting him or not, I bet Ubi/ratings/amiibos won't be much of a problem. (Sakurai doing... a Wario job on him may be, though.)

Could Snake amiibo be just a box?

Based on the third party characters we have already, the only ones I can see being added are Snake, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot and possibly Professor Layton.

RK128

Based on the third party characters we have already, the only ones I can see being added are Snake, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot and possibly Professor Layton.

I completely agree:
-Snake: Could pull a lot from his inclusion in Brawl and he is a requested newcomer
-Rayman: Nintendo and Ubisoft have a good relationship with them giving Nintendo a lot of support during the Wii Era (Red Steel 2, Raving Rabbids, Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, Just Dance, Rayman Origins) plus them being the only third party to do something with the GamePad (ZombiU and Rayman Legends). Rayman also has a strong history with Nintendo appearing on every console starting with the GBC (Rayman) and N64 (Rayman 2). Perfect rep for Ubisoft
-Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon: Leaning on the latter just because he represents modern Acitivision (Skylanders) but either could work. Activision has supported Nintendo for a long time too and is a current supporter of the Wii U (Skylanders series) in addition to bringing all their big franchises to the Nintendo Wii over the decade (Gutiar Hero, Skylanders kicking off on Wii, Call of Duty, ect). Plus both have a history on GBA, GC, DS, and Wii. Spyro more so but point still stands.
-Professor Layton: He or a Yo-Kai could be a Level-5 rep. They have been great partners for Nintendo for the 3DS and DS eras, so it would be nice to see Layton join Smash :).

RK128

So has everyone given up on Shovel Knight, I take it?

I still have some hope if Nintendo wants to add an Indie Rep (him or Shantae) but with Cloud's inclusion and the fact we are getting close to the end of Smash Content, I really don't expect Shovel Knight jumping into Smash anymore :l.

I would love that though, but personally no expecting it.

My prediction for the final set of characters: Cloud, Snake and Wolf Releasing in December after the direct. Announce two more characters; a Third party guest (Rayman or Level-5 Rep) and a New Nintendo Character (Paper Mario or Inkling), both releasing early 2016 with stages linked to them.

I think December will end characters, but they'll continue to announce stages and costumes via social media and Directs for awhile longer.

You don't need a large team to port some stages from Brawl or throw together some Mii costumes. And maybe some light balance just to ensure the game isn't left a mess at the end.

It seems irresponsible to just chuck three characters on us and end balance cold turkey. It's pretty risky actually, potentially game destroying in the worst case scenario.

RK128

I think December will end characters, but they'll continue to announce stages and costumes via social media and Directs for awhile longer.

You don't need a large team to port some stages from Brawl or throw together some Mii costumes. And maybe some light balance just to ensure the game isn't left a mess at the end.

It seems irresponsible to just chuck three characters on us and end balance cold turkey. It's pretty risky actually, potentially game destroying in the worst case scenario.

I don't think they drop support completely after the final three-five characters. That would be very stupid, especially if they are considering bring it to future Nintendo platforms (NX, ect).

So, balance patches, ports of Brawl/Melee stages and extra Mii Costumes will wrap everything up nicely :).

I can't see them ending DLC with anything but characters. Dangling stages or Mii Costumes in front of them with no characters afterward seems like a surefire way to lose interest.

I can see them patching the game a few times afterward, but I think December is the end of the road for actual new content.

RK128

I can't see them ending DLC with anything but characters. Dangling stages or Mii Costumes in front of them with no characters afterward seems like a surefire way to lose interest.

I can see them patching the game a few times afterward, but I think December is the end of the road for actual new content.

Good point....people would feel cheated otherwise.

I guess the release for the characters could be like this:

-December: Massive Update that includes three characters (Cloud, Snake, Wolf), new costumes for Miis (Square Themed; Chocobo, Geneo (Mario RPG), Crono, Frong (Crono) ect), new stages (Midgar, Returning Star Fox Stage, Returning MGS Stage from Brawl), and announcing final wave of characters: Inklikng, Banjo, Spyro the Dragon, and another Ballot winner

-Feburary 2016: Inkling and Banjo release this month alongside their stages (Inkopolis and Spiral Mountain). Mii Costumes based on Rare IP (Perfect Dark, Kameo, Conker, Jet Force Jemi, ect) and Splatoon (Inkling gear/outfits) plus some classic stages are announced (Fountain of Dreams, Pokke Floats, ect)

-May 2016: Spyro, a new Ballot winner and a surprise guest all release this day. Spyro comes with Skylanders Training Grounds stage (taking inspiration from every incarnation of Spyro: PS1-PS2 Era, Legend of, Skylanders) and the two new characters also get stages. Announce that E3 will have a special surprise, showing four shadowed characters.

-June 2016: Smash NX is announced; GOTY Edition of sorts but includes content from the 3DS and Wii U versions, has all the DLC characters, having their IP's being used in other modes/content (items, assist trophies, Smash Run foes, more trophies, ect) and new modes. Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont all are coming to the NX version and all but Ice Climbers is releasing on Wii U/3DS as well. Fall 2016 release date for this announced and people get discounts: (Wii U or 3DS: 50% off, Wii U & 3DS: 70% off).

On the subject of third parties...how do you guys feel about Simon Belmont?

latest

Now, it goes without saying that Snake should 100% take absolute prioritiy as far as Konami characters are concerned, but I think it'd be cool if we could get both Snake and Simon, like how we got Ryu and Mega Man from Capcom.

Castlevania kind of reminds me of Mega Man in that it didn't really shape the industry like the other third parties in Smash but it's still a fairly iconic series of games from the NES and even continued to have installments on other Nintendo consoles like the DS.

A lot of fun things you could do with him, like have him being able to angle his forward tilt and forward/back aerials upward and downward as a way to mimic Super Castlevania IV's eight directional whip controls. They could even recreate that game's "free whip" controls by pressing down A while moving the control stick around. If they wanted to mix things they up they could borrow some abilities from the other Belmonts, like Richter's special moves in SOTN. Not too far from what Sakurai would do and it'd be a pretty neat way to represent the Belmont bloodline and the Castlevania series as a whole.

I don't expect this to happen but it'd be pretty sweet and I had to pick another third party to be in Smash other than Snake I'd choose Simon.

RK128

On the subject of third parties...how do you guys feel about Simon Belmont?

latest

Now, it goes without saying that Snake should 100% take absolute prioritiy as far as Konami characters are concerned, but I think it'd be cool if we could get Snake and Simon, like how we got Ryu and Mega Man from Capcom.

Castlevania kind of reminds me of Mega Man in that it didn't really shape the industry like the other third parties in Smash but it's still a fairly iconic series of games from the NES and even continued to have installments on other Nintendo consoles like the DS.

A lot of fun things you could do with him, like have him being able to angle his forward tilt and forward/back aerials upward and downward as a way to mimic Super Castlevania IV's eight directional whip controls. If they wanted to mix things they up they could borrow some abilities from the other Belmonts, like Richter's special moves in SOTN. Not too far from what Sakurai would do and it'd be a pretty neat way to represent the Belmont bloodline and the Castlevania series as a whole.

I don't expect this to happen but it'd be pretty sweet and I had to pick another third party to be in Smash other than Snake I'd choose Simon.

If any Konami characters come to Smash, Simon is the best fit honestly. Wide moveset to play around with, so many incarnations to use as a base and the IP is Nintendo's home for decades (GBA, DS, NES, SNES, ect).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom