• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see them ending DLC with anything but characters. Dangling stages or Mii Costumes in front of them with no characters afterward seems like a surefire way to lose interest.

I can see them patching the game a few times afterward, but I think December is the end of the road for actual new content.

Since we only get 2 stages per DLC patch, it's going to be kind of disappointing to only get one other stage and leave it at that.

They kind of have to patch the game after the last character anyway, unless they want to leave the game's balance at the whim of the final update, whether it breaks the game or not.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Since we only get 2 stages per DLC patch, it's going to be kind of disappointing to only get one other stage and leave it at that.

They kind of have to patch the game after the last character anyway, unless they want to leave the game's balance at the whim of the final update, whether it breaks the game or not.

Remember what Sakurai said about not getting a lot of stage dlc, right?

Neiteio

Honestly, I think Sakurai says some things just to check our expectations. That way, he can pleasantly surprise us by delivering more than we expect.

If December truly is the end for Smash content, at least until the NX, then I wonder just what the hell the logistics of the Smash Ballot were.

I highly doubt they could work out a even a single character from scratch starting from around october to december. Even if they only took suggestions from the first few weeks of the ballot, that'd still be a bit of a stretch.

It makes me think all the DLC plans have been long since laid out by now, and the ballot is either a worthless hype device or just a guideline for a hypothetical NX upgrade. Or December isn't really the end of DLC content.

Also it's probably safe to say that the term "ballot winners" is useless, because considering the complete lack of any duplicate vote detection, the winner was probably a bot voting for John Cena 50 times a minute for a few months or something.

Ryce

• Sakurai wanted to see how his plans matched up with fan requests.
  • If an interesting character caught Sakurai’s eye, maybe he’d find time to include them at the last minute.
  • Research for a sequel (the Japanese ballot page even mentioned this).
That’s how the ballot worked for Melee and Brawl, and it’s probably how it worked this time around as well. If the intent was to add the "winner" as DLC then it would have been set up as a very secure poll. This was just a low stakes, low security suggestion box.

Muzy72

Banned
  • If an interesting character caught Sakurai’s eye, maybe he’d find time to include them at the last minute.
That’s how the ballot worked for Melee and Brawl, and it’s probably how it worked this time around as well. If the intent was to add the "winner" as DLC then it would have been set up as a very secure poll. This was just a low stakes, low security suggestion box.
Do you have a full translation of the Japanese ballot page where it mentions a sequel?

Neiteio

Definitely. Although I wonder if them advertising it as a "ballot" makes them feel more obligated to comment on the results at some point. It makes me wonder if they feel obligated to produce a character that we'll look at and go, "Yeah, I guess people might've voted for that."

If I had to guess the most likely first-party newcomer that could come out of DLC, it'd be the Inklings. If they were planned in any way, they could convincingly say they charted high in the ballot (even if they actually received few votes) since it seems believable they'd be popular.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If I had to guess the most likely first-party newcomer that could come out of DLC, it'd be the Inklings. If they were planned in any way, they could convincingly say they charted high in the ballot (even if they actually received few votes) since it seems believable they'd be popular.

Yeah, my gut is telling me exactly same thing. I still believe that Inkling is only one character that actually have a shot at First Party Newcomer for DLC. Splatoon is one of hottest IP for this year so they might want to strike it when it's still hot.

It would be awesome if we are going to get Cloud, Inkling, Snake and Wolf.

I'm totally aware that I'm more likely to be wrong

Neiteio

Yeah, my gut is telling me exactly same thing. I still believe that Inkling is only one character that actually have a shot at First Party Newcomer for DLC. Splatoon is one of hottest IP for this year so they might want to strike it when it's still hot.

I recall Sakurai saying he saw the design for Greninja before the Pokemon was even finished, and that night he sketched out every move he has in Smash.

If Sakurai can do that for an unfinished Pokemon, then imagine what he can do with the Inklings and their squid powers, weapons, sub-weapons, specials, etc.

The only obstacle to the Inklings, I think, is Sakurai getting stuck on some hangup. Like maybe he'll convince himself "They're not Inklings if the ink doesn't stick on the ground!" and then if he can't get it to work, he'll drop it.

But hopefully he'll get them in. We just want to play as the Inklings. They don't have to be 100% faithful. :)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The only obstacle to the Inklings, I think, is Sakurai getting stuck on some hangup. Like maybe he'll convince himself "They're not Inklings if the ink doesn't stick on the ground!" and then if he can't get it to work, he'll drop it.

But hopefully he'll get them in. We just want to play as the Inklings. They don't have to be 100% faithful. :)

That's one of my concern about Inkling due to limitations. Also I'm not sure how they look at 1st party newcomers for DLC because they might like, we might want to save few popular characters for Smash Bros Next because they need some kind of frontrunner in order to sell to the audiences. Inkling might be a perfect example.

Neiteio

That's one of my concern about Inkling due to limitations. Also I'm not sure how they look at 1st party newcomers for DLC because they might like, we might want to save few popular characters for Smash Bros Next because they need some kind of frontrunner in order to sell to the audiences. Inkling might be a perfect example.
Maybe. For what it's worth, my gut instinct is they're not too concerned about saving characters for a sequel. Nintendo will continue to make new characters between now and then, and people will always have no shortage of more obscure picks they want to see. And when it coms to Splatoon, if they add Inklings now, they can just add Callie and Marie later. Not to mention ATs they can promote like Isabelle, and the hot new Pokemon and FE characters, etc.

RK128

I think you are right on the money man; if Nintendo is getting any newcomers it will be the Inklings. People love their designs, they have the freshest (pun intended ;)) game on the Wii U this year, and content is still being rolled out as we speak.

The main issue is like another poster said, is how the ink will work in both versions. But I feel that the following could work:
-B: Ink Blaster (shooting ink at foes)
-Side B: Squid Dash (turn into the squid and dash into foes; mirrors Yoshi's Egg Roll or Sonic's Spin Dash)
-Down B: Change weapons (Roller, Blaster, Sniper Weapon (forgot its name), and/or Brush)
-Up B: Squid Launch
-A Attacks: Mixture between melee hits using the Squid form while using mild blasts of different weapons
-Smash Attacks: The different 'Super' Items you can use (the bomb could be Down Smash for example)
-Final Smash: Stay Fresh; The Inkling dons the Hero Gear and uses all the weapons in the game (A and B attacks get changed up) and as you continue to attack, ink hits the screen making it hard to see for foes

Merc_

Honestly, I don't think we're going to get any new Nintendo newcomers from the DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to third parties and vets for the rest of it. They might very well just hold whatever new and popular Nintendo characters from the Smash Ballot for Smash 5.

RK128

Honestly, I don't think we're going to get any new Nintendo newcomers from the DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to third parties and vets for the rest of it. They might very well just hold whatever new and popular Nintendo characters from the Smash Ballot for Smash 5.

I could see that too; it would be huge if character like Inkling, Paper Mario and others headlined Smash 5.

But considering Splatoon is a huge Wii U IP for Nintendo, so it would be smart for them to push along with that and have the IP be in Smash Bros. through playable Inkling and a new Splatoon stage.

How knows but I would be open to seeing Inkling join Smash bros :).

So wait, I know I already asked if people gave up on Shovel Knight, but have we given up on K. Rool, too?

I mean....if we got Ryu and Cloud as DLC fighters, its very likely that Snake is coming as well alongside Inkling, Wolf and some other third party guest within the next few months.

I would love to see K. Rool in Smash 4, but he might be saved for Smash 5 or something :(.

Yeah, this sounds about right. I just keep seeing talk about "oh man, I bet they're gonna reveal who won the ballot or show the top 10 ballot winners or something" and I've just found that to be real silly considering how loose the ballot is.

I agree with the sentiment that we're likely not getting any 1st party newcomers as DLC at this point. But we'll see come a few weeks.

So wait, I know I already asked if people gave up on Shovel Knight, but have we given up on K. Rool, too?

I mean, anyone who still had hope for K. Rool after the Mii costume is probably setting themselves up for disappointment.

It is a big double standard to think Inklings are locks after the costume but K. Rool is unlikely after his haha

I would like a source on the Melee ballot in JPan being only used as a useless feel-good platform when Sakurai was just gonna add his picks anyway. Because the characters who got in then all seemed to match up with the top results anyway, like Bowser and Peach and a few others!

The Inklings costumes were promotional to advertise Splatoon, and are a bit different than K Rool's costume, which seems to be a direct result of his ballot popularity.

so do you considered three more stages as MANY? I don't really count Duck Hunt since it's pre-existing stage to compensate for Pirate Ship.

When he said that, many people were honestly expecting those two N64 stages to be the final stages.

Masked Man

I said wow
It is a big double standard to think Inklings are locks after the costume but K. Rool is unlikely after his haha

At the same time, Splatoon garnered a lot of media attention ever since last year's E3, and the Inklings enjoy much more widespread familiarity and popularity than K. Rool, whose last appearance was in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers. The Inklings' costume was likely released in part as cross-promotion for the game (roughly two weeks old at the time), whereas I see K. Rool's as more or less a nod to his fans in lieu of including him as a playable character. The Inklings have one crucial element indispensable to DLC that K. Rool severely lacks: mass appeal.

"Mass appeal" to Wii U people maybe. Who's to say the silent majority with 3DSes care?

Also we have no official word on any of the costumes, and only people projecting their own speculation on to them & what they mean. This includes Inklings are obvious promotions, because to use a common strain of logic aimed at the K. Rool costume, 'why would they make an Inkling costume if they're adding them as characters later'?

Neiteio

All this speculation...

I like to imagine then when Sakurai gets home from work each day, he hops on his computer and reads message boards and laughs at all our ideas.

SAKURAI: "Hey, Sakur-cat, you won't believe what they think today!"

CAT: *peering over glasses while he does taxes* "Can you keep it down? I'm busy."

Pokemaniac

One of those is a character that is currently popular, being actively marketed, and the costumes were obviously just a way to get some content from Nintendo's big new IP in the game. The other is a character that hasn't even really been acknowledged for a while by Nintendo, using a design that hasn't been seen for even longer. The situations are completely different.

Neiteio

If at any point during this DLC process, Sakurai sat down and asked, "What's the biggest Nintendo IP that isn't in Smash," chances are he concluded "Splatoon."

I'd honestly be a bit more surprised if the Inklings didn't make it. I won't be crestfallen or anything if they don't, but I will be surprised.

xHiryu

It's disgusting how badly I want Wonder Red for Smash, like damn he'd be fucking awesome as a full-fledged character.

Wonder Red
Wolf
Big Boss (Fuck Snake, Big Boss looks 10x cooler)

3823.519.png-610x0-543x300.png

b214a43eeea62a5785fbe6b36cb9636e-d96f9vj.png

tumblr_inline_nm5h52RgNj1ry26lw.gif

So who's offering his or her home to host the

GAF Final Smash Wii U/3DS DLC Broadcast Farewell Party Blowout Supreme 2015?

I'll bring alcohol and snacks

I can't see them ending DLC with anything but characters. Dangling stages or Mii Costumes in front of them with no characters afterward seems like a surefire way to lose interest.

I can see them patching the game a few times afterward, but I think December is the end of the road for actual new content.
I'm inevitably still going to have wants like a new DKC character or all of Brawl's cut vets to come back, but all up we still wound up having way better post-game support compared to what we were expecting with the cautious "Mewtwo really might just be it guys" vibe going around this time last year.

One of those is a character that is currently popular, being actively marketed, and the costumes were obviously just a way to get some content from Nintendo's big new IP in the game. The other is a character that hasn't even really been acknowledged for a while by Nintendo, using a design that hasn't been seen for even longer. The situations are completely different.

K. Rool is currently popular from the ballot and by way of the costume and old DK games all being rereleased this year, is being marketed too, just not at Splatoon level. Also the game it self says it is a retro costume just like the Flying Man, not a one from popular demand. People must have short term memory for forgetting the K. Rool support from Brawl until the ballot. "Obviously a direct response to the ballot" . . or to him being wanted for years previous?

Inklings have like come on a full circle. People were saying they were 100 percent shoe-ins before their costume before the ballot, then said they would have to get in from the ballot, and now say things like Sakurai always was going to add them and will now use the ballot as his reason. Fickle fickle!

georly

I think the only character sakurai could add that would get me just as hyped as mega man or cloud would be alucard. Simply because it's almost as, if not more unlikely than cloud.

The bigger the icon and the less likely they'd make it in, the more excited it gets me.

On that note, even less likely and more hype: Crono. So ok, 2 characters.

and of course I want snake back, but that's mildly hype

You think we'll get AC songs in Smash? I want the Piano Version of Those Who Fight Further.

don't see why not?

Let's imagine an impossible world where somehow, through some magical miracle, Nintendo and Playstation work together so we could have Playstation characters in Smash

TDLink

Let's imagine an impossible world where somehow, through some magical miracle, Nintendo and Playstation work together so we could have Playstation characters in Smash

We already have Cloud. The problem Sony has (and that Playstation All Stars had) is that Sony's characters aren't nearly as iconic and thus they are mostly known for third party characters. Their "mascots" from the 90s are now owned by Activision as well.

We already have Cloud. The problem Sony has (and that Playstation All Stars had) is that Sony's characters aren't nearly as iconic and thus they are mostly known for third party characters. Their "mascots" from the 90s are now owned by Activision as well.
I'd love to see Dante or Cole or Big Daddy in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom