• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feltrol

Banned
hu9eBMo.jpg

Maybe I'm being too picky, but Professor Layton just doesn't fit there. He isn't a gaming icon in my eyes.

Can't wait to see (Venom) Snake in there.

This makes me sad there is no subspace, I kinda wanna see them get into funny situations

I know :(

Especially with how they nailed the fuck out of the CG for the newcomer videos.

In a perfect world we would have had an improved Adventure Mode that mixed the lightheartedness and familiar Nintendo locale from Melee and the awesome cutscenes and story elements from Brawl.

It would be cool if they announced a Mario RPG stage. Yea, we have so many DLC Mario stages, but this is a unique opportunity for a Mario RPG stage, with Square involved.

There's enough RPG music in game already, they could just re-purpose all of that music, and ship maybe 2 or 3 songs from Mario RPG or Fortune Street and have a nice stage.

Combine that with a Geno costume and people wishing for Mario RPG to be referenced in Smash would finally get something.

It would be cool if they announced a Mario RPG stage. Yea, we have so many DLC Mario stages, but this is a unique opportunity for a Mario RPG stage, with Square involved.

There's enough RPG music in game already, they could just re-purpose all of that music, and ship maybe 2 or 3 songs from Mario RPG or Fortune Street and have a nice stage.

Combine that with a Geno costume and people wishing for Mario RPG to be referenced in Smash would finally get something.
Oh man, a stage on top of Bowser's Castle with Exor would be amazing. Maybe you transition down to the chandeliers every once in a while.

...am I the only that thinks Bomberman really isn't that important enough to be in Smash?

I'm seeing people all over these threads claiming he's like a massive icon, but I've never really seen him as that. He's had a lot of games but ultimately he's just the mascot of a minor (and defunct) game developer. He just doesn't anywhere near as signiciant as any of the third parties in Smash.

Bomberman is about the same level as Snake or Mega Man are. Mega Man in particular, even, because both him and Bomberman are icons mostly appealing to gamers who grew up on those series, rather than being relevant due to recency or pioneering video games.

Bomberman is basically the personification of early multiplayer games as well, even more so than most other game series back then, the Bomberman franchise was very multiplayer-centric - the single-player modes never were particularly relevant.
To this day I play Bomberman games with friends whenever we meet up and have a console to play it on.

And almost every person I knew that has played games knows him. I'd argue more of the non-gamer people I know (not necessarily friends) would know Bomberman than they would know Mega Man or Snake. Let alone Professor Layton or Jack Frost or any Resident Evil character.

Tyeforce

hu9eBMo.jpg

Maybe I'm being too picky, but Professor Layton just doesn't fit there. He isn't a gaming icon in my eyes.
I think Professor Layton fits if you look at him as more of a Nintendo character than a third-party character. I mean, yes, technically he is third-party, but he's practically a Nintendo character, anyway. He only appears on Nintendo systems, and his games are published by Nintendo outside of Japan... He's in a very different situation than any of the other guest characters that we have so far. So in that respect, I think he would fit in just fine. Plus, with SEGA, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix (and maybe Konami if Snake ends up coming back, too) out of the way, I feel like Level-5 is up next. They don't have nearly as much history as the other third-parties, but they've had a lot of huge successes in recent years, and they have extremely close ties to Nintendo. Layton's the best they have, and I think he'd be a fine addition to represent Level-5. (Also, it would open the door for Yo-kai Watch content in Smash Bros., even if it's just Mii Fighter outfits or music, and that would be awesome!)

Also, sorry to anyone who was expecting to see more of my victory pose screenshots! I got busy with stuff and haven't been able to keep up. With Cloud's reveal, there are more exciting things to talk about here, anyway... Maybe I'll continue with them in the future, but I can't keep up right now, sorry! >.<

Chronoman

Banned
I think Professor Layton fits if you look at him as more of a Nintendo character than a third-party character. I mean, yes, technically he is third-party, but he's practically a Nintendo character, anyway. He only appears on Nintendo systems, and his games are published by Nintendo outside of Japan... He's in a very different situation than any of the other guest characters that we have so far. So in that respect, I think he would fit in just fine. Plus, with SEGA, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix (and maybe Konami if Snake ends up coming back, too) out of the way, I feel like Level-5 is up next. They don't have nearly as much history as the other third-parties, but they've had a lot of huge successes in recent years, and they have extremely close ties to Nintendo. Layton's the best they have, and I think he'd be a fine addition to represent Level-5. (Also, it would open the door for Yo-kai Watch content in Smash Bros., even if it's just Mii Fighter outfits or music, and that would be awesome!)

Also, sorry to anyone who was expecting to see more of my victory pose screenshots! I got busy with stuff and haven't been able to keep up. With Cloud's reveal, there are more exciting things to talk about here, anyway... Maybe I'll continue with them in the future, but I can't keep up right now, sorry! >.<

You nailed it

The only people I can see on there all are held by Konami - Snake, Simon Belmont and Bomberman. Add those 3, and the roster would be gloriously amazingly perfect.
This "what characters would fit" thing must really heavily vary from person.

For me, the whole picture doesn't make sense in the first place, since Cloud and Mega Man are that much less important to gaming as I see it than the other characters there (and maybe Snake?).

I don't agree on indies. Not only does Cloud reinforce the thing about iconic third parties but also look at how the trailer says Smash x FF7. It would not say "Smash x The Indie Genre" so the indie rep logic falls flat

Ryce

...am I the only that thinks Bomberman really isn't that important enough to be in Smash?

I'm seeing people all over these threads claiming he's like a massive icon, but I've never really seen him as that. He's had a lot of games but ultimately he's just the mascot of a minor (and defunct) game developer. He just doesn't anywhere near as signiciant as any of the third parties in Smash.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Bomberman is about the same level as Snake or Mega Man are.
The Mega Man series has sold three times as many units as Bomberman, and Sakurai said Mega Man was the second most requested guest character behind Sonic. I really don't think Mega Man and Bomberman are close to being equals. The Snake comparison is even more baffling considering that Metal Gear Solid has been one of the highest profile, biggest budget, best-selling properties in all of gaming for the last fifteen-plus years. Snake is considerably more popular than both Mega Man and Bomberman.

I think Professor Layton fits if you look at him as more of a Nintendo character than a third-party character.
I get that, but that's not really what I look for in guest characters. I'd rather have the most important video game characters regardless of their association with Nintendo.

jph139

I'll agree with the "Bomberman, really?" sentiment. Never played one of his games growing up, don't know anyone who has. Only recognize him from seeing him on Blockbuster cases - he's definitely a C-lister in my experience.

Hell, I'd put Rayman above Bomberman as far as iconic status goes, and Rayman 100% ain't shit.

Tyeforce

I get that, but that's not really what I look for in guest characters. I'd rather have the most important video game characters regardless of their association with Nintendo.
I understand that, and I feel the same way about guest characters, but in this particular case I feel like Professor Layton should be compared more to so-called second-party franchises like Kirby, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, EarthBound, and Xenoblade Chronicles in Smash Bros. than a third-party franchise, even though he technically is third-party, but it's just a very different situation than the other third-party franchises we have so far. I get the feeling that Sakurai would probably look at it that way, too, which is what matters most here, right? Of course, we'll never know that for sure unless Professor Layton is eventually added, but that's my hunch on this, and I don't think it's a particularly crazy thought.

I grew up playing plenty of Bomberman games that I really liked and even I don't get Bomberman as being a particularly notable candidate, I wouldn't mind him but I really wouldn't expect him.

Maybe Bomberman's just a lot more popular in Europe? Because through my acquaintances and their acquaintances etc. (all across Europe, by the way), I know a lot more people who are aware about Bomberman or have played his games, than Mega Man.

Actually I'll second that, here in PAL land I think the blue bomber fell a bit short of the bomber...man.
Anecdotal evidence and all that mind you.

Merc_

I like Bomberman, but I never saw him as being especially popular. He did last for a long time though so they clearly did something right with him. I'd be curious to see what kind of moveset Sakurai could come up with for him.

For me (in Europe) Bomberman represents one of the finest and extremely simple multiplayer games ever, a real 4 player crowd pleaser. In the spirit of this, Smash Bros is the perfect place for him.

I was going to say Hudson is way smaller than Capcom ever was, but then I realized that no, Hudson actually was a rather large and important game company at one point, even having their own video game console and a ton of successful IPs. They just crashed completely into irrelevancy. With Nintendo and Hudson's relationship back when Hudson was slipping, I kind of wonder if they ever put in any interest in purchasing Hudson.

I just always look at Bomberman as a micro download title or budget game character, although Bomberman 64 is a very good and full game.

Actually I was going to pull the region flag to explain Rayman's situation. Though I'm not sure how it exactly worked across Europe, it basically seems back in the day he was a way bigger deal there than in US. The obvious explanation for France is, well, Ubisoft; the obvious explanation for Poland on the other hand was the fact the franchise got PC versions of major games and translations way before Polish in games was a common thing, helping the younger audiences.

I have however no idea of how much does it apply through whole Europe (since let's face it, almost no one cares about Nintendo in Poland), and what's the overlap between Rayman fans and Smash DLC audience (especially the sort that buys fighters, but not every one). So I don't think there's much to discuss unless he's actually pulled in.

I loved Bomberman on the N64 growing up, but even if Snake comes back I doubt he'd bring another character with him from Konami. If Snake gets in, it'll probably be quick and dirty (no Codecs, David Hayter voice from Brawl, Shadow Moses from Brawl as his ownly stage, etc.), rather than some big return where he also brings a brand new character with him.

If I'm being a pessimist, we're probably getting Wolf and Inkling. I wouldn't mind Wolf not getting back in if it meant we get Snake instead, and I wouldn't mind Inkling getting held back until Smash 5 if it means we get a more obscure Nintendo newcomer like K. Rool who'll likely have a way harder time getting into Smash 5 through normal means.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
D13H75p.jpg

Has co-starred in a game with Wario:

Solid Snake &#10007;
Mega Man &#10007;
Pac-Man
Rayman &#10007;
Eggman &#10007;
Gordon Freeman &#10007;
Batman &#10007;
Bomberman &#10004;&#65038;

That's really the only factor that should matter.

kirby_fox

Banned
I was going to say Hudson is way smaller than Capcom ever was, but then I realized that no, Hudson actually was a rather large and important game company at one point, even having their own video game console and a ton of successful IPs. They just crashed completely into irrelevancy. With Nintendo and Hudson's relationship back when Hudson was slipping, I kind of wonder if they ever put in any interest in purchasing Hudson.

I just always look at Bomberman as a micro download title or budget game character, although Bomberman 64 is a very good and full game.

I recall reading that they were outbid by Konami. Whether that is true or one of those internet things that persists I have no idea, but I've imagined they were interested in their IPs.

A part of me is honestly expecting Nintendo to purchase Konami IPs and dev studios. I don't think the company will stay in gaming much longer, and Nintendo making the right offer would get them not only classic titles but mature ones.

A part of me is honestly expecting Nintendo to purchase Konami IPs and dev studios. I don't think the company will stay in gaming much longer, and Nintendo making the right offer would get them not only classic titles but mature ones.

Honestly, if I came on Gaf one day and saw "Nintendo to buy Konami's IP and license them back to Konami for machines" I wouldn't even be all that surprised.

Like, it's just something I could see happening eventually.

Oh believe me, I voted for Simon Belmont in the ballot, not Bomberman. :p
I just really would like Bomberman. To me, he is as iconic to video games and Nintendo platforms in particular, if not more so, than Mega Man, let alone Snake or Cloud.

id fucking scream if we got a castlevania character as dlc and the stage only had, like, vampire killer and bloody tears

Prepare your vocal chords then in case we do get a Castlevania stage.

Richie

The thing with Layton is that, were he Nintendo-owned, he'd be a no brainer, if not already in the roster. But he's third party and so far that list has consisted of extremely iconic stars only, which it pains me to say, Layton has yet to be, even if he's embraced and loved in the Nintendo community.

It's actually very similar to Banjo Kazooie in that sense, except they have further issue by belonging to a whole other first party altogether. I'd love nothing more than having BK in the game, but gaming icons they're not (outside of my heart anyway).

Tyeforce

I really liked that image with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, and Cloud, and I thought I could add to it, so I made this:

It's still hard to believe that this will be a thing soon. Mario vs. Pikachu vs. Link vs. Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. PAC-MAN vs. Cloud vs. Sonic. Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Mega Man, Street Fighter, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, and Sonic the Hedgehog, among many others, all in the same game. That's crazy, and incredible. Super Smash Bros. is amazing.

Ryce

This roster is incredible. Also, I love that you capitalize Pac-Man in all of your posts as though you're writing a press release for Bandai Namco.

MagnesD3

T

It's actually very similar to Banjo Kazooie in that sense, except they have further issue by belonging to a whole other first party altogether. I'd love nothing more than having BK in the game, but gaming icons they're not (outside of my heart anyway).

They are nintendo and Rare icons though, which is why they are so popular.

Tyeforce

This roster is incredible. Also, I love that you capitalize Pac-Man in all of your posts as though you're writing a press release for Bandai Namco.
Hey, it's capitalized like that within Smash Bros., too. I'm just being consistent, and I like to spell, capitalize, and punctuate titles as they're intended to be by the entities that created them. =P

Tyeforce

Aren't the Sonic character's names also all capitalized in Smash Bros. for some weird reason? Same with the Pokemon too.
Nope, why would they be? The only odd capitalization thing with Sonic is that they sometimes capitalize the "The" in his full name ("Sonic The Hedgehog"), but they're inconsistent with it so I usually don't capitalize the "The" because it looks weird. =P I do believe his trophy in Smash Bros. capitalizes the "The," though.

That's probably why I saw it and most of you wouldn't have then.

PAL translations are a mixed bag; normally I prefer 'em since they're closer to the source material, but the American take on most trophies seem funnier than what we got.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really liked that image with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, and Cloud, and I thought I could add to it, so I made this:

It’s still hard to believe that this will be a thing soon. Mario vs. Pikachu vs. Link vs. Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. PAC-MAN vs. Cloud vs. Sonic. Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Mega Man, Street Fighter, PAC-MAN, Final Fantasy, and Sonic the Hedgehog, among many others, all in the same game. That’s crazy, and incredible. Super Smash Bros. is amazing.

Man, they look great together. I still couldn't believe that it actually happens.

I wouldn't mind Simon as long as we got Snake back, but it'd be crazy to imagine Smash now having about eight third parties lol.

And to think Brawl only had a measly two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom