• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Square Exix is now a rep in Smash, what are the odds of adding in Super Mario RPG music, or any other non Final Fantasy ip music for that matter?

RK128

The music is probably all going to come from FFVII, I wouldn't expect any from other Final Fantasies. And especially no non-Final Fantasy music. Guesses at music:

Opening - The Bombing Mission
Let the Battles Begin
Fight On
J-E-N-O-V-A
One Winged Angel

And then maybe one weird non-fighting music, like Aerith's Theme, Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, or Mako Reactor or something.

Great picks for the music and I think we are going to get remixes of "Let the Battles Begin!" and "One Winged Angel" in both versions (with the 3DS version only getting the two I listed). The Wii U version of the stage is going to be bursting with FFVII Music, and all the ones you list (plus two remixes) are the likely bets :).

RK128

Most of Reddit seems to have a fairly pessimistic view that Cloud will come with basically no music at all, like Ryu.

But looking at other third parties, Street Fighter is the exception, not the rule. Sonic, Metal Gear, Mega Man and Namco all have a large collection of diverse music.

The issue with Sonic specifically is that he got no new remixes; Brawl's only had the Angel Island Zone (Sonic 3&K) as its only remix; everything else was ripped from other Sonic games. And that remix was re-used for Smash 4.

But every third party got a lot of music but Street Fighter (two remixes and four different versions of the same theme(s)).

Final Fantasy VII....they have a ton to draw from and add in the potential remixes for One Winged Angel and Let the Battles Begin! would be awesome :D.

my midgar stage music prediction

Let the Battles Begin! (New Arrangement)
Fight On! (New Arrangement)
Let the Battles Begin! (Original Version)
Fight On! (Original Version)
Let the Battles Begin! (PC Version)
Fight On! (PC Version)

georly

I don't see why the December broadcast can't be the end of it all. They might not have the characters ready to be shown, but it takes less than two months to come up with at least artworks for the characters. I am not saying it will definitely happen, but it's entirely possible that all remaining Smash 4 DLC is announced in a few weeks. Then they would show the trailers for the characters when the release date is close.

No? Mashed potatoes are a lunch/dinner thing in Brazil as well.

Err, I didn't mean it was lunch/dinner in the US only, I mean it was only a lunch/dinner thing here in the US. Should have phrased it better.

RK128

I do like Shovel Knight. But he is 10 years to early to be considered for Smash.

I dont even think that is the issue for his inclusion. Its the fact that all the third party guests are big gaming icons, how is Shovel Knight going to stand next to Cloud, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and likely Snake?!

Not trying to down play the guy, as I really love Shovel Knight myself :D. But like a poster said already, he is likely got get a Mii Sword Fighter Costume and/or a Smash Trophy instead.

I would like for him to be the playable indie rep, but I would rather that honor go to Shantae; the series is more or less Nintendo exclusive and always found home on Nintendo Handhelds (GBC, DSi, 3DS) and Wii U (Half-Genie Hero next year, port of Pirates Curse). Granted, the series is getting its first multi-console start with Half-Genie Hero next year but point still stands; she is linked closer to Nintendo then Shovel Knight is.

But I don't expect her to join Smash either, even though that would be a really pleasant surprise :D!

And the point about link to Nintendo completely was tossed out the window when Cloud was announced for Smash so who knows honestly :).

Chronoman

Banned
I dont even think that is the issue for his inclusion. Its the fact that all the third party guests are big gaming icons, how is Shovel Knight going to stand next to Cloud, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and likely Snake?!

Not trying to down play the guy, as I really love Shovel Knight myself :D. But like a poster said already, he is likely got get a Mii Sword Fighter Costume and/or a Smash Trophy instead.

I would like for him to be the playable indie rep, but I would rather that honor go to Shantae; the series is more or less Nintendo exclusive and always found home on Nintendo Handhelds (GBC, DSi, 3DS) and Wii U (Half-Genie Hero next year, port of Pirates Curse). Granted, the series is getting its first multi-console start with Half-Genie Hero next year but point still stands; she is linked closer to Nintendo then Shovel Knight is.

But I don't expect her to join Smash either, even though that would be a really pleasant surprise :D!

And the point about link to Nintendo completely was tossed out the window when Cloud was announced for Smash so who knows honestly :).

Square has the link to Nintendo. It is all about the companies link, not the character specifically. This is why I think Level 5 has a real shot.

RK128

Square has the link to Nintendo. It is all about the companies link, not the character specifically.

Cloud is a big face of FF, so you are right there.

Just mostly commenting on FFVII having no Nintendo history, so it was a big shock when Cloud was announced for Smash.

Edit: If we are getting another third party guest it has to be from Konami or Level-5.

Square has the link to Nintendo. It is all about the companies link, not the character specifically. This is why I think Level 5 has a real shot.

Square and Nintendo have a long and very interesting history, with a rollercoaster of highs and lows. I don't really think Level 5 making some DS games that sold pretty good is really comparable.

RK128

You know, from just thinking a bit, Acitivision has a history with Nintendo too.

For years, they have been putting out Crash, Spyro, Skylanders and Call of Duty games on their console. Not to mention the many Guitar Heroes that landed on the Wii.

So, I was thinking, if they would get a rep in Smash Bros, which character do you think would represent them?

I would feel that Crash would be their representation and I would be roaring with laughter all day XD! Not only is he a great fit for the game but it would be something having Snake, Cloud and Crash all appear in Smash Bros while Sony's own fighter never got them :').

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Spyro would make more sense since Skylanders is technically part of the Spyro universe and that is 1. one of Activion's most popular titles 2. the one they've even partnered with Nintendo for.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not to single you out or anything, but "[video game] characters we can eliminate" in a post-Cloud world just doesn't work anymore. :p

I think it's more of Sora being Disney entity and more on the company probably a hassle to deal with I reckon.

RK128

Spyro would make more sense since Skylanders is technically part of the Spyro universe and that is 1. one of Activion's most popular titles 2. the one they've even partnered with Nintendo for.

That is a good point and they could use a lot of moves from both the Skylanders series and the PS1 Spyro's for his moveset.

Side B: Charging Horns
B: Fire Balls
Up B: Wing Flap
Down B: Horn Dive

Final Smash: Dark Spyro (with stronger melee attacks and working similar to Wario Man).

Level 5 made more money on 3DS last year in Japan that Nintendo did. "Pretty Good" is an understatement.

Sega: The Nintendo vs Sega rivalry is legendary. Probably the best known "console war" of them all, and one both companies actually actively participated in. Sega and Nintendo has a long, powerful history that is more than just Nintendo vs Sega, but is a defining moment in the history of video games in general.

Namco: Made Smash 4. On top of that, Namco are legendary icons in video games, pioneers of mascot based arcade titles. Namco and Nintendo have always had a strong relationship, with Miyamoto being a huge fan of Pac Man.

Capcom: Mega Man is a defining game of the NES. Mega Man, other than some of the later X games, has also more or less always been primarily a Nintendo console series. The Battle Network series were also major games during the GBA years, and Mega Man himself is a beloved video game icon. Street Fighter II SNES is one of Capcom's best selling games, and one of the best known arcade ports of the era. The only main Street Fighter game not on a Nintendo system is Third Strike, and TS doesn't really even have much of a console presence anywhere. Ryu is the king of fighting game mascots, the iconic and main character of the entire genre. He's also well known for crossovers. Nintendo also trusted Capcom to make some amazing Zelda hand held games.

Square: Final Fantasy got its origins on the NES, and is the quintessential "JRPG." When people hear JRPG, their mind generally goes to a game similar to FF. Square is one of the earliest third party companies to make a major, critically acclaimed game with the Super Mario IP. Square also has a dark history with Nintendo, "betraying" them and jumping to Sony, leaving Yamauchi bitter and angry at Square and JRPGs in general. Which is actually pretty interesting and shouldn't be ignored as a part of their relationship. Ultimately they've returned to Nintendo and the GBA and DS saw many FF games (and Dragon Quest), along with Square making some hit or miss Mario spin offs.

Level-5: Made some puzzle games on the DS that sold well and were published by Nintendo. Made a lot of money last year on a new IP on the 3DS. And... that's it. Most people don't even know Layton isn't a Nintendo character.

Ryce

hu9eBMo.jpg

Maybe I'm being too picky, but Professor Layton just doesn't fit there. He isn't a gaming icon in my eyes.

Chronoman

Banned
Sega: The Nintendo vs Sega rivalry is legendary. Probably the best known "console war" of them all, and one both companies actually actively participated in. Sega and Nintendo has a long, powerful history that is more than just Nintendo vs Sega, but is a defining moment in the history of video games in general.

Namco: Made Smash 4. On top of that, Namco are legendary icons in video games, pioneers of mascot based arcade titles. Namco and Nintendo have always had a strong relationship, with Miyamoto being a huge fan of Pac Man.

Capcom: Mega Man is a defining game of the NES. Mega Man, other than some of the later X games, has also more or less always been primarily a Nintendo console series. The Battle Network series were also major games during the GBA years, and Mega Man himself is a beloved video game icon. Street Fighter II SNES is one of Capcom's best selling games, and one of the best known arcade ports of the era. The only main Street Fighter game not on a Nintendo system is Third Strike, and TS doesn't really even have much of a console presence anywhere. Ryu is the king of fighting game mascots, the iconic and main character of the entire genre. He's also well known for crossovers. Nintendo also trusted Capcom to make some amazing Zelda hand held games.

Square: Final Fantasy got its origins on the NES, and is the quintessential "JRPG." When people hear JRPG, their mind generally goes to a game similar to FF. Square is one of the earliest third party companies to make a major, critically acclaimed game with the Super Mario IP. Square also has a dark history with Nintendo, "betraying" them and jumping to Sony, leaving Yamauchi bitter and angry at Square and JRPGs in general. Which is actually pretty interesting and shouldn't be ignored as a part of their relationship. Ultimately they've returned to Nintendo and the GBA and DS saw many FF games (and Dragon Quest), along with Square making some hit or miss Mario spin offs.

Level-5: Made some puzzle games on the DS that sold well and were published by Nintendo. Made a lot of money last year on a new IP on the 3DS. And... that's it. Most people don't even know Layton isn't a Nintendo character.

That is why Layton has a great chance. He is tied to Nintendo, people love the music, the character

But I just listed out the reasons why Layton doesn't fit in Smash. Level 5 and their IP don't compare at all to Sega, Namco, Square and Capcom. We're talking some of the most influential companies in gaming history. Which Level 5 is not.

Platy

Smash characters are either Gaming Icons or have a HUGE story with Nintendo.

Layton does not fit with Pacman and Sonic, but he does fit with Rob and Wii Fit Trainer

L Tetrimino fits BOTH with Pacman and Sonic and Rob/Game & Watch

Merc_

Eh, I don't see Sora as being any real problem to include even with Disney. Folks are still asking for Snake despite Konami's shitty behavior. If anything, I think that Disney would be fairly open to having their character crossover with a character like Super Mario.

SaikyoBro

Street Fighter only has a handful of memorable themes and the music isn't really a highlight of the series.

That's a hell of a claim. I think SFII has a super iconic soundtrack. Every character having their own stage and theme was one of the big draws to that game imo, everyone had a lot of personality. The fact that they've all been remixed by fans and Capcom themselves countless times speaks to that. People weren't saying "oh, it's okay that Suzaku Castle only has two songs, SF doesn't have a great soundtrack anyway", they were complaining about the lack of Guile's theme.

I might agree Final Fantasy's music is more important to that series than Street Fighter's, but I don't think there's any reason for SF to have only been given a couple of songs. It probably has more to do with licensing issues for using old music and limited resources for new pieces now that the game is out and the team is smaller. Those issues could affect what FF music gets in as well, I have a bad feeling it'll just be PS1 rips and probably one or two remixes. Fingers crossed we get some Dissidia stuff.

Chronoman

Banned
But I just listed out the reasons why Layton doesn't fit in Smash. Level 5 and their IP don't compare at all to Sega, Namco, Square and Capcom. We're talking some of the most influential companies in gaming history. Which Level 5 is not.

Layton is the most popular puzzle character ever. That counts for something. In his own smaller way, he is iconic.

Zubz

Banned
Eh, I don't see Sora as being any real problem to include even with Disney. Folks are still asking for Snake despite Konami's shitty behavior. If anything, I think that Disney would be fairly open to having their character crossover with a character like Super Mario.

Wasn't Dissidia supposed to be a KH game until Disney stepped in and said that they didn't want their "good guys" to fight other "good guys" unless there was a clear, story-driven reason for it? At least a KH Dissidia could have had a plot about a tournament to justify why Mickey would be fighting Simba, but Smash's story is literally just "These toys come to life and they beat the devil out of one another." Seeing how Sora's co-owned by Disney, many are expecting they'd take the same mentality towards him fighting Samus.

Also, I'm genuinely surprised by this anti-Layton mentality. Sure, he's not "Gaming Mt. Rushmore" tier, but he's still pretty huge for Nintendo, and Level 5's one of their best partners right now. Besides, we all seemed to accept Shovel Knight when that rumor looked plausible, right? Even if Layton isn't Cloud-tier, he's clearly got a leg up on the Blue Burrower.

Merc_

Wasn't Dissidia supposed to be a KH game until Disney stepped in and said that they didn't want their "good guys" to fight other "good guys" unless there was a clear, story-driven reason for it? At least a KH Dissidia could have had a plot about a tournament to justify why Mickey would be fighting Simba, but Smash's story is literally just "These toys come to life and they beat the devil out of one another." Seeing how Sora's co-owned by Disney, many are expecting they'd take the same mentality towards him fighting Samus.

Really? I never heard about that. That would be a very strange mentality to take considering Sora has already fought other good guys before.

Still, I think that fact that Mario would be there would do a lot to put Disney at ease.

hu9eBMo.jpg

Maybe I'm being too picky, but Professor Layton just doesn't fit there. He isn't a gaming icon in my eyes.

The only people I can see on there all are held by Konami - Snake, Simon Belmont and Bomberman. Add those 3, and the roster would be gloriously amazingly perfect.

It's what I've been trying to say for a long, long time now. Glad people are seeing my point now
Unless Nintendo (especially NOA) felt that there should be a Indie rep since Indies are such a huge part of Nintendo, Smash is becoming a celebration of all video games and Indies are apart of that.

I do think a Indie rep will happen, however I think Sakurai may have specifically had a thing where the top Indie in the ballot would get in no matter what (as long as the company deals with them) The ballot makes sense in this way, since unlike companies like SE, indies have no general rep, so the ballot helps, hell that could be one of the main reasons to do the ballot: To choose an Indie rep.

Sponge

Banned
I think people are dismissing Konami too quickly. It's been obvious Konami hasn't been as serious about games for years now. Yet we've still seen them do deals with licensing like the "!" and Konami code in Wreck-It Ralph, and that Hudson IP that was just licensed to Nintendo this year.

I feel like Snake has a good chance of coming back, and I'm willing to bet he'll bring Bomberman with him.

I think people are dismissing Konami too quickly. It's been obvious Konami hasn't been as serious about games for years now. Yet we've still seen them do deals with licensing like the "!" and Konami code in Wreck-It Ralph, and that Hudson IP that was just licensed to Nintendo this year.

I feel like Snake has a good chance of coming back, and I'm willing to bet he'll bring Bomberman with him.

Fair point but regarding the bolded, I wouldn't read too much into it. That IP is a Japan-only board game series. Not really all that noteworthy.

Sponge

Banned
Fair point but regarding the bolded, I wouldn't read too much into it. That IP is a Japan-only board game series. Not really all that noteworthy.

To be honest I'm still unsure why they wanted the license in the first place. Is it because NDcube has remnants of Hudson staff?

Prediction--the special presentation will be on December 6th, the first Sunday in December, and Cloud and the other two characters will be released that same day. That will be exactly 67 days after the Mario Maker stage, significant as the Lucas/Roy/Ryu presentation and release was 67 days after the release of Mewtwo. It was also on a Sunday.

That sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom