• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see any veteran coming back other than Wolf. They're going to want to leverage new characters for maximum exposure. Wolf will be released on principle and the rest of the DLC characters will be newcomers.

I think the next DLC character after Lucas will be a newcomer just to assure the fans that DLC isn't all veterans. Then Wolf, then one or two newcomers from the poll. I do feel it likely that they are working on two characters right now to bridge the gap between Lucas and the survey's end.

Villager not being in Brawl was a huge glaring omission in the roster for me personally. After his stage got shown I got excited for an AC rep, and then it never happened. Brawl came out with guns blazing with its spot on roster, but Villager was a hole in an otherwise near perfect roster. I can't really think of a single new comer in Brawl that wasn't massively requested, or wasn't an amazing addition to the roster, other than Toon Link but he was barely a new comer and he ended up growing on most people.

His reasoning was that the character was peaceful and wouldn't fight or something like that. Glad he changed his mind.
This theory has no basis in anything, but I would guess the reason Sakurai said that Villager wouldn't fit in to Brawl because he was "peaceful" had everything to do with the Subspace Emissary. Sakurai probably couldn't think of a way to fit him into the story, and therefore he was skipped until the next game as there was no need to worry about that with Smash 4. Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff also didn't make it into the Subspace Emissary, but they were probably late additions to the roster, whereas Villager would have had to be decided on towards the beginning of development. Of course, take this all with a grain of salt.

MrBadger

The only reason Jigglypuff is still in Smash is because she was in 64. There are more interesting Pokemon than Jigglypuff they could add. But they bring her back every game because people like her as a Smash character and enjoy her being back.

The only reason Lucas is DLC is because he was in Brawl. He wouldn't even be a blip on the DLC radar if he wasn't. Literally the second announced DLC character is getting in on no other reason other than Brawl Nostalgia, so you can't really say that's not what they are doing or should do, because it's exactly what they are doing.

I think there's a bit of a difference. People actually like Mother 3, and I'm sure there would be the odd Lucas request because of Ness being in the game. Not even Fire Emblem fans like Roy and he's just a Marth clone anyway. I'll give you Jigglypuff, but she isn't a clone like Roy is.

How would 6 sound?
2 Brawl Vets (Wolf and Lucas)
2 Melee Vets (Mewtwo and Roy)
2 New Comers (whoever)

I think that would probably work out. It would keep content flowing until mid 2016 when they could slow down on updates and maybe just do balance and some Mii costumes.

Neoxon

The only reason Jigglypuff is still in Smash is because she was in 64. There are more interesting Pokemon than Jigglypuff they could add. But they bring her back every game because people like her as a Smash character and enjoy her being back.

The only reason Lucas is DLC is because he was in Brawl. He wouldn't even be a blip on the DLC radar if he wasn't. Literally the second announced DLC character is getting in on no other reason other than Brawl Nostalgia, so you can't really say that's not what they are doing or should do, because it's exactly what they are doing.
As MrBadger said...
I think there's a bit of a difference. People actually like Mother 3, and I'm sure there would be the odd Lucas request because of Ness being in the game. Not even Fire Emblem fans like Roy and he's just a Marth clone anyway. I'll give you Jigglypuff, but she isn't a clone like Roy is.
Roy isn't particularly popular amongst the Fire Emblem fanbase. Smash fans are all Roy has.

Roy isn't particularly popular amongst the Fire Emblem fanbase. Smash fans are all Roy has.

Smash fans are all a lot of characters in the game have. Captain Falcon would be a random car driver in a dead series if it wasn't for Smash.

Roy is one of the most requested characters on Miiverse.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't wanna be one of those YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER IS SHIT people, but why are people still voting for Chorus Kids when the Ice Climbers fiasco happened? Shouldn't you be trying to get Marshall instead?

Roy would literally be the worst DLC option they could add. Just give Marty a third costume alternate and call it a day, if it needs to be done.

I don't wanna be one of those YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER IS SHIT people, but why are people still voting for Chorus Kids when the Ice Climbers fiasco happened? Shouldn't you be trying to get Marshall instead?
N3DS might make them a viable option. /shrug

Neoxon

We don't know if the same scenario happened with the Chorus Kids. They're much more simplistic than the Ice Climbers (their simplicity rivaling that of Mr. Game & Watch), which makes it less taxing on the 3DS to render all 3 of them. Plus since they're being made with the 3DS in mind, Sakurai probably didn't do anything crazy with the AI like he did with the Ice Climbers that caused their removal (for example, making them move as one would be a good way to get around the 3DS's CPU troubles). For all we know it was time constraints that got them cut. This is all speculation mind you, but you get my point.

Plus there was evidence of a Rhythm Heaven stage, so they must have gotten pretty far along with the Chorus Kids (who we also know were worked on).

jnWake

If a new Fire Emblem character I hope it's not Roy. 3 FE sword wielders are enough IMO. If a new FE character comes it should be Hector or some other relevant axe wielder.

MisterHero

You would think they would release characters that would have the greatest chance of selling as DLC and draw lots of attention to the game. Rhythm Heaven characters are fun and all but sellers they are not.
Ryu would beat them anyways

Hatchtag

Banned
Then hopefully he won't be included at all. He is the epitome of a wasted slot.

Slots don't matter in the slightest. We got a dude whose only differences are two attacks and a final smash. People missed Roy, why not throw him back in quickly, weird physics and fire effects included?

Neoxon

You would think they would release characters that would have the greatest chance of selling as DLC and draw lots of attention to the game. Rhythm Heaven characters are fun and all but sellers they are not.
Ryu would beat them anyways
Rhythm Heaven is huge in Japan, with a cult following in America (myself included). In fact, Rhythm Heaven is the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash.

Zalman

Pretty sure we're done with Fire Emblem until the next game. Then they can pick a character from the most recent entry to cover a new era of Fire Emblem. Same thing with Pokémon.

Azure J

I wish each stage had more than just an omega version. Different legal stage setups for every stage would be rad, being named alpha, beta, delta, etc. I wouldn't care if every default stage was crazy (with hazard toggles) and there was a few legal setups every stage could have.

Itd be hella easy if they added "battlefield" alpha stages first, and played with the platform setup for the other configurations reusing the battlefield stage assets. Then we can get legal big blue, New pork city, pokefloats, and brinstar depths along with the fun party versions sakurai loves.

I feel like the stage roster is purposely crazy for sakurai's party game preferances. Why on earth would 75m ever come back over literally any other stage. Same with port town. The new corneria is literally corneria except interrupted with crazy platforming sections.

I was advocating for this ever since we found out about an Omega Mode option.

Alpha: Battlefield
Beta: Yoshi's Island Melee
Gamma: Fountain of Dreams/Smashville
Omega: Final Destination

Why would you want them to make 70 different versions of exactly the same stage rather than using that effort to make a hazard toggle or to just bring those stages back?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really don't see any veteran coming back other than Wolf. They're going to want to leverage new characters for maximum exposure. Wolf will be released on principle and the rest of the DLC characters will be newcomers.

I think the next DLC character after Lucas will be a newcomer just to assure the fans that DLC isn't all veterans. Then Wolf, then one or two newcomers from the poll. I do feel it likely that they are working on two characters right now to bridge the gap between Lucas and the survey's end.

Yeah, it's more likely to happens.

What make you sure that Chorus Kids would have special AIs? I always imagine that Chorus Kids might function just same as Duck Hunt.

Ryce

Rhythm Heaven is huge in Japan, with a cult following in America (myself included). In fact, Rhythm Heaven is the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Smash.
It's also the only series without a playable character to rank on My Navi's favorite Nintendo franchise survey.

What make you sure that Chorus Kids would have special AIs? I always imagine that Chorus Kids might function just same as Duck Hunt.
That’s how I’ve been envisioning them — one character visually disguised as three. The Ice Climbers are meant to emulate the multiplayer component of their game by acting independently of each other, but the Chorus Kids should move together as one rhythmic unit.

Azure J

In terms of new Fire Emblem characters, Tiki makes the most sense to me. She covers both modern Fire Emblem and old Fire Emblem at once.

I had the same mentality behind my Anna vote. The "Annas" have a nice legacy even if it's a small one in the games. Also, Fire Emblem needs more than the typical stoic types personality wise. She'd also be a neat way of further acknowledging the other weaponry available in the games.

No, my desire to see someone comically beat the other person over the head with a "bag of loot" or stuff them into said bag a la Nabbit or Peacock's Level 3 in Skullgirls is not the only reason why I support her. :p

Azure J

Why would you want them to make 70 different versions of exactly the same stage rather than using that effort to make a hazard toggle or to just bring those stages back?

Hey, I'm all for whatever allows me to see more of the actual art direction on certain stages in more neutral situations. Some of this stuff is GORGEOUS, but Omega Mode for everything is boring. :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Since there's people bringing up Captain N in the thread, I'm wondering.
Who actually owns Captain N? The show was made by DiC but they're not around anymore.
Is he in rights limbo?

1) They don't know.
2) Pikmin still work.
3) Sakurai changed his mind on peacefulness of Villager, he might as well change his mind on the technical limitations. (This is getting into parody territory, but there is actually some merit to that argument - its all about the way things get implemented.)
4) They are pushing it with SSB-NX in mind, and at that time tech limitations will vanish.

0) The site says "who you want". Not "who will you support, given the democratic nature of the election". Since this is most probably not a democratic election anyway.

batfax

For a Fire Emblem character I'd go with Leif. A main character from an arc that's generally underrepresented in Smash, his game has unique gameplay features that could be used in his moveset (namely capturing), and when promoted to Master Knight in FE4 he can use any kind of weapon with the exception of dark magic. He could throw axes, lances, spells, staves, and swing his light-magic sword all day.

TDLink

A bunch of people have already point some of this stuff out since your post but there are some big differences here.

1. Jigglypuff is not a clone, she has a completely unique moveset
  2. Jigglypuff has always been a popular pokemon since Gen 1, partially attributed to the anime
  3. Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 characters from Smash Bros 64, it is unlikely any of these will ever not appear in a Smash Bros game just because of that
  4. Lucas is a clone, but he's not a straight clone like Lucina (or Roy). He has completely unique normals and his default specials act in different ways other than just being...exactly the same but with fire on them.
  5. Lucas has a very large fanbase because Earthbound/The Mother franchise has a very large (albeit niche) fanbase. Sakurai is also a big fan of Mother 3 and the Lucas character.
  6. Roy is from a game in the series that fans almost universally consider one of the weaker entries. Roy is also considered one of the weakest Lords and as a result is pretty unpopular.
  7. If another Fire Emblem character was to be added, there are so many more options other than yet another Sword Lord. Fire Emblem has a large variety of classes and right now across 4 characters only 2 are being represented.
  8. With that in mind, there are already 3 sword lords...and 2 are essentially the same. Marth and Lucina. Roy would be a 4th sword lord and 3rd character to use basically the same moveset.

Bottom Line: Roy has no fans outside of Melee. Even within Melee he isn't that popular, people just want him back because they want all of the Melee characters back...and he is now one of the few who isn't back. Roy is a waste of space. It would be a huge disappointment if out of the 6-7 DLC characters we end up getting, one of them is a clone of a character we already have a clone of.

Clefargle

That depends on if Konami, Kojima, & Nintendo will put aside each other's differences to give us what we want.

I know about the most recent Kojima vs Konami fiasco, but what about that could keep Konami from liscencing Snake to Nintendo? Do they need his approval? My understanding was that Konami was moving forward with TPP and MGS in general without him, if that's the case, then wouldn't they want to hype the game up by featuring the main character in Smash?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That’s how I’ve been envisioning them — one character visually disguised as three. The Ice Climbers are meant to emulate the multiplayer component of their game by acting independently of each other, but the Chorus Kids should move together as one rhythmic unit.

Yep. It's just bizarre how leaks actually have a huge influences on people's opinions and decisions. Without leaks, I wouldn't even consider Chorus Kids, or at least, express interest in this character. Now I'm become fan of the idea itself, and I really hope to see him become playable character.

Yes, some people mentioned Karate Joe, but I don't really found him very interesting because he's a karate character so I found the concept itself boring. Also Wrestler from that franchise seem interesting because we didn't have full-fledged grappler character but I can't really see it anymore since Chorus Kid just appeared and stole my attention away from other characters.

Hey, I'm all for whatever allows me to see more of the actual art direction on certain stages in more neutral situations. Some of this stuff is GORGEOUS, but Omega Mode for everything is boring. :(

Agreed, Omega is getting boring but I would pick few omega levels over Final Destination sometime.

4) They are pushing it with SSB-NX in mind, and at that time tech limitations will vanish.

If Nintendo NX actually got confirmed as system console or hybrid system, then I have a weird feeling that they are going to port Smash 4 to NX instead of making new games. If that's in case then I hope that they are going to add new contents to Smash NX, such as Ice Climbers.

Neoxon

I know about the most recent Kojima vs Konami fiasco, but what about that could keep Konami from liscencing Snake to Nintendo? Do they need his approval? My understanding was that Konami was moving forward with TPP and MGS in general without him, if that's the case, then wouldn't they want to hype the game up by featuring the main character in Smash?
It was Kojima, not Konami, that got Snake into the game, Konami just helped with the legal side of things as per Kojima's request.

Zalman

Been going through Nintendo IPs that aren't represented in Smash yet. I hope Dillon gets a decent retail release one day. He's an awesome character I'd like to see. I don't think he deserves it yet, but hopefully in the future.

RomanceDawn

The day Ice Climbers get revealed. The world will go into a frenzy.

The day Ridley is revealed everyone will have a heart attack. The supporters, the haters, they will all die of shock unable to experience the overwhelming greatness that the space pirate dragon would bring.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Been going through Nintendo IPs that aren't represented in Smash yet. I hope Dillon gets a decent retail release one day. He's an awesome character I'd like to see. I don't think he deserves it yet, but hopefully in the future.

At first, I thought Dilion would be perfect assist trophy until I saw his model in Smash 4. That's when I was like, he would be totally awesome as playable character. His model in Smash 4 is pretty impressive

MrBadger

Yeah, that's also the reason why I didn't consider the wrestler and reporter. Karate Man could be a good Rhythm Heaven rep

tumblr_ndpawnSWKp1qeie3mo1_500.gif

TDLink

I sort of think most people who keep bringing them up don't even want Chorus Kids or would have given them a first thought, much less a second, had the leak not occurred.

I still think they're not the best choice out there now that literally anything can happen. But a cool and unique moveset could be made with them, so I'm not opposed to having them. I just think other characters should come first. And it's kind of crazy how much people say they support them now, just because of that leak.

Clefargle

It was Kojima, not Konami, that got Snake into the game, Konami just helped with the legal side of things as per Kojima's request.

I understand how it happened the first time. My understanding of this ballot thing is that nintendo would look at the top results and go out and liscence the "video and characters" if they were third party. In that case, would Konami be able to sign off on Snake's inclusion? Also, Konami retweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/DenisBrando/status/583405671246405632

So we know someone over there is aware of this ballot.

Zalman

I sort of think most people who keep bringing them up don't even want Chorus Kids or would have given them a first thought, much less a second, had the leak not occurred.

I still think they're not the best choice out there now that literally anything can happen. But a cool and unique moveset could be made with them, so I'm not opposed to having them. I just think other characters should come first. And it's kind of crazy how much people say they support them now, just because of that leak.
I don't even think they would be the primary choice for a Rhythm Heaven character. Karate Joe is the most recurring character in the series. I'm pretty sure he's also the very first you play as, if I remember correctly.

Neoxon

If you think about it the Chorus Kids make sense. Rhythm Heaven, as stated before, is Nintendo's biggest franchise that lacks a playable Smash character, so it's kinda due for one. And since the Chorus Kids are known to have been worked on previously (complete with a Rhythm Heaven stage), might as well have Sakurai finish them up as DLC.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I understand how it happened the first time. My understanding of this ballot thing is that nintendo would look at the top results and go out and liscence the "video and characters" if they were third party. In that case, would Konami be able to sign off on Snake's inclusion? Also, Konami retweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/DenisBrando/status/583405671246405632

So we know someone over there is aware of this ballot.

I hate to be pessimist but it could be public-relations bullshit to save their faces if Snake didn't come back.

You know what would be great from Fire Emblem? Frederick. Permanently on horseback. Powerful attacks when dashing, slow to turn around...

I just want a taunt that says "Pick a god and pray!".

The day Ridley is revealed everyone will have a heart attack. The supporters, the haters, they will all die of shock unable to experience the overwhelming greatness that the space pirate dragon would bring.

I expect a reaction of:

"Eh, I'm not too excited about him anymore."

I think some of that has to go with the fact that they wouldn't have thought Chorus Men would be considered in anyway. So once that came out, it opened the doors for a lot of people.

I know once that happened, I was on board and expected their reveal. I love the idea of having another 2D character.

Which would also be my dream to have Paper Mario in that line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom