• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

People on slickdeals will buy 50 $500 TVs if they were a price mistake. Making this console $150 isn't going to discourage them if they can make a profit.
Exactly. Really the only way imo to get scalpers to look the other way would be if these products had no return policy because then there would be higher risk.

Kensation

reLRJam.png

Seriously this is violence
Everyday We Stray Further From God's Light

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If I actually get the thing, the Tetris lamp will be my Yankee Swap contribution this year.

PMS341

Those ThinkGeek bundles are fucking evil

So much pricey crap they know no one wants

Welcome to Gamestop.

They started doing this "bundle" thing back when I managed there. Purposefully holding stock so they could bundle a bunch of games + accessories no one wants into a more expensive Web-In-Store Exclusive (at the time, of course).

I hate capitalism

Bakercat

These bundles are cracking me the fuck up. That's gotta be the worst mug I've ever seen. It's a fucking CUBE

kmsj_snes_classic_bundle_mario_plush_calendar.jpg

Lol, my fiancé bought me that mug. It looks cool as a decoration on a shelf, but goddamn does it not serve its purpose at all. The thing weights like over 5 pounds or something and even more with liquids in it. If you wanna workout with your breakfast then I'd say go for it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So this is weird. If I try to look up my order on ThinkGeek...it says it doesn't exist. Also have yet to get any kind of email confirmation.

EDIT: NM, you have to use another site to look up pre-orders. LOL.

Thinkgeek just spinning for anyone else after hitting the Preorder button?

Quick check of the web dev console says 'Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity)' so the servers are probably under too much stress to handle the request.

Amneisac

Welcome to Gamestop.

They started doing this "bundle" thing back when I managed there. Purposefully holding stock so they could bundle a bunch of games + accessories no one wants into a more expensive Web-In-Store Exclusive (at the time, of course).

I hate capitalism

You think you hate capitalism? How do you think the person working in the factory who made these things feels?

Sorry, not seriously trying to be that guy, but you know, maybe a little perspective will help us all cool down a little bit.

So is it too soon to say this is worse than the NES classic situation?

It's worse. People are more aware of the resell power of these things based off the NES mini, they're aware of how Nintendo is likely to handle it, and aware that one day Nintendo will simply announce 'production is being stopped'. It creates much more of a 'I MUST BUY THIS NOW' dynamic because both the production quantities and window are unknown factors and more or less left to Nintendo's whims. The preorder craze says as much about people's lack of confidence in their supply management as it does the actual popularity of the item.

The biggest screw-up of all is Nintendo announced that there would be preorders( exact timing of announcements was non-existent because....well..... Nintendo), so they have the opportunity to 'correct' the NES mini situation by producing enough quantity based off orders, since they're obviously too conservative to just 'pick a number'( let's say 10 million for shits and giggles) and flood the market giving people an opportunity to buy one and taking the power away from scalpers. I find it interesting that Nintendo, who rightfully are very protective of their brand and IPs, by their own supply conservatism create an environment for scalpers to profit more than Nintendo themselves, while alienating fans in the process.

This was an absolute shitfest. Walmart sold out in 10 seconds. Target glitched. Lost power at work so had to use my phone for gamestop which had their servers swamped. Then I ignored the tweet about the in-store pre-orders for like 10-15 minutes. Then I saw it again.

Almost waited till after lunch to go see if they had any. Called the local gamestop and the guy said he wasn't sure if he would have any available in 5 minutes. I sped all way there. Saw a kid running into the store, then I ran, and some Fed-Ex guy ran after me. Got into line and we were told they had 6. I was 6. Now I can finally breath. I have two pre-orders from two different sites in case the Amazon ones from last night weren't the real pre-orders.

Its like that scene in Jingle all Way.

F34R

There are 6 remaining at Gamestop in Orangeburg SC. They had 10 available an hour and a half ago. I called 45 mins ago and they had 7 left.

I just got here and they still had 7, and now 6 since I got one. I tried to get a few more for others here but they wouldn't let me.

So... close by? Call them up or head over here.

This is ridiculous. I would like to buy one of these, but I'm not willing to jump through these ridiculous preorder hoops. I don't want to take part in an "event." I just want to buy a product. Is that too damn much to ask?

Got a family member to preorder me one at GameStop while I'm at work. Going to keep trying to get one online as a "Just in case" but less stressed now.

mjc

After failing to get one on Target or Walmart, I drove to the GS in town as soon as I saw that in store preorders went up. I must be three minutes from the location, when I got there three guys were in line ahead to preorder one already.

The dude working said their POS was getting bombed from instore and online orders, but we were able to get things set up. He didn't give me an exact number of units available, but he said he'd be sold through his allocation within the half hour most likely. (That was about an hour and a half ago now.)

Insanity.

Managed to snag an in-person pre-order at gamestop. The only had an allotment of 10 and and sold out in 27 minutes. Meanwhile their phones were hot the whole time, and the website was R.I.P the whole time. Tried to pre-order at Target but the website crashed.

yup. I mean if demand is met then there won't be a profit to be made by scalping.

Likely they are outsourcing to a relatively low yield manufacturer. The other side of it, is probably simply they want to hype up retro games for the inevitable virtual console on Switch.

BruceCLea

Banned
Got a $120 bundle in store at GameStop. You have to fully pay it off. I did with my credit.

BEWARE: DON'T USE THE GS CREDIT CARD YOU USED UNTIL YOU'RE CHARGED NEAR SHIPPING. IT HASN'T BEEN CHARGED YET, IF YOU USE THE CARD AND YOU GET BELOW THE AMOUNT IT WILL CANCEL THE ORDER.

So this is weird. If I try to look up my order on ThinkGeek...it says it doesn't exist. Also have yet to get any kind of email confirmation.

EDIT: NM, you have to use another site to look up pre-orders. LOL.
OK, now mine's showing up.

Knew I was going to overpay for this, but w/e.

Tried to get in on one of those ThinkGeek bundles and I got this email:

You've signed up for preapproved payments plan to Airbrite Inc with PayPal.

To view the details, log in on the PayPal homepage, go to your Profile, and click Preapproved Payments. Then find the Details page for Airbrite Inc

Any idea what that means?

Bakercat

Top Bottom