• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Getting very nervous about my order.

3rd preorder didn't go through, and I'm guessing it's the decline my bank contacted me about right after ordering.

Issue however is that I have confirmation email and it's showing on my Target account, just not paid for yet.

Rep said it would likely try to reprocess again, but the lack of a guarantee has me iffy.

If it doesn't happen, oh well, but would have been a nice gift for my nephew and a SNES for my niece if she wants it.

Dinokill

Why? If you're putting one of them on eBay, the US one is the one that will probably get you more money.

The US design is superior.

Now that I'm thinking. I bought the Gamestop one from the credit I got doing the Gamestop trade-in exploit when I basically turned $20 cash into $390 in credit. If my PAL version arrives and sell it on ebay I could basically pay off a XBOX ONE X with the money from the SNES mini and the left over credit I still have in Gamestop. LMAO

HoodWinked

Yeah that's insane...I can't believe Amazon didn't have/forgot a cap.

it sort of doesn't matter to amazon since if they sell 10,000 to one person or one to 10,000 people they'll get the same revenue from the consumer since they are required to sell them at msrp. if anything its beneficial for them to sell it to fewer people since its more efficient and thus cheaper to ship. unless its to build good faith or repeat customers but that effect is overstated.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If online is your only option, then yeah, your other opportunities may not be any better than today. Everybody knew they were going up at 1PM ET. Every fan and scalper in NA was laser-focused today. This is the world we live in with scalper-bots and eBay. But I feel like in-store, brick-and-mortar will give people who are willing to try more opportunity than last year. I just wouldn't give up on the first day.

It would be nice if that's the case. I finally managed to get a NES Classic at a store in the middle of nowhere across my state line when they told me they had some in the back that were going to be put up the following day but they let me purchase them regardless. I got lucky, but I was following that store for a while and even it would sell out almost instantly in the morning.

Hopefully the SNES Classic isn't as bad as that. I just have little faith as Nintendo already said there won't be any stock after this year. There'll be no post-Christmas break for these things.

Keyouta

Cool. Could you post the email confirmation please? I'd just like to know how they look like. You can just show the subject. I called Shao Khan a liar earlier but I'll need to apologize if this is all true.
LtVP6ee_d.webp
Here it is.

Edit: Not sure why it shows up incorrectly, here's the link. https://m.imgur.com/LtVP6ee

it sort of doesn't matter to amazon since if they sell 10,000 to one person or one to 10,000 people they'll get the same revenue from the consumer since they are required to sell them at msrp. if anything its beneficial for them to sell it to fewer people since its more efficient and thus cheaper to ship. unless its to build good faith or repeat customers but that effect is overstated.

Hmmm...

What if enough gaming websites covered the ridiculous 50+ unit purchases and put some pressure on Amazon to fix the sales?

zeioIIDX

Just realized I'm kid-free on the 29th (my ex gets my daughter that day) so immediately after walking my daughter to school, I'm racing my ass over to Target to wait outside. Luckily it's next door to a Best Buy, just in case.

I know last year when I was waiting in line, some people got turned away (not enough tickets) and had to scamper over to Best Buy to try their luck. I hope waiting outside Target an hour and a half before they open will be sufficient this time around. If not, Best Buy opens an hour after Target does so that'll work too.

Edit: I live in Podunk, MS by the way so fortunately I don't exactly have to stand outside 12 hours prior.

Are places like Gamestop and Walmart going to be selling them to people without pre-orders on launch day? I actually prefer just getting to the store and waiting in line at 3 AM haha

Madame M

Banned
Are places like Gamestop and Walmart going to be selling them to people without pre-orders on launch day? I actually prefer just getting to the store and waiting in line at 3 AM haha

Probably not Gamestop as in-store preorders went today, but I'm sure Walmart will get some for in store on release day

Shrennin

My GameStop said they would be. I can't imagine they are selling the entire allotment. They'll have some to sell in stores, although I guess I can't say for sure.

Now the struggle begins.

Granted I get to keep my (3) Target preorders.

(2) SNES Classics to give away for Christmas.

Then I have to decide if I want to keep the US SNES Classic or the EU SNES Classic I preordered from GAME way back.

Not sure what I would do with that left over one though. Probably sell it to my coworker who couldn't get one today. At cost obviously, the guy takes care of me when he gets me autographs at horror conventions he goes to.

Edit - Live in the US, grew up on US SNES obviously, but I like the look of the EU one. It really grew on me.

HoodWinked

Hmmm...

What if enough gaming websites covered the ridiculous 50+ unit purchases and put some pressure on Amazon to fix the sales?

i guess that's a possibility but its a long shot for people to run that story and likely easily remedied by a bulk cancellation, a statement and another period of pre orders, which probably would put amazon in the win in the long run.

NeOak

Lol at the people saying trying to get a second one for a friend or a present.......

I'm opening my SNES from gamestop the second I get it and if somehow my amazon uk pre-order arrives, I'm putting that mofo on ebay.

Lol at the people that do not have friends who to share things with

Shrennin

If it's anything like amiibo, it'll be like 1 or 2 to sell outside of pre-orders.

Yeah. GameStop would not be my first choice for trying to get it without a pre-order. Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy would be my three picks (in that order).

Madame M

Banned
Yeah. GameStop would not be my first choice for trying to get it without a pre-order. Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy would be my three picks (in that order).

Seconded, if my amazon order doesn't go through I'm either going to do TRU or Target camping, seem like the best bets, especially with TRU not doing online preorders apparently

Lol at the people saying trying to get a second one for a friend or a present.......

I'm opening my SNES from gamestop the second I get it and if somehow my amazon uk pre-order arrives, I'm putting that mofo on ebay.
Lol at the people that do not have friends who to share things with

Seriously, I get people being cynical, but the past day has been a whole new level of it.
Like people can't have friends or loved ones or something?

I preordered one for myself.
I preordered one for my sister and her husband.

If someone thinks "my sister and her husband" is a code term for "eBay and scalping," then that's on them.

cube444

Seriously, I get people being cynical, but the past day has been a whole new level of it.
Like people can't have friends or loved ones or something?

I preordered one for myself.
I preordered one for my sister and her husband.

If someone thinks "my sister and her husband" is a code term for "eBay and scalping," then that's on them.

I agree. Wanted one for myself, my bro, and my nieces.

SCReuter

I'm on mobile but the emails say "oh no, we had to cancel!" with no reason given. I did use Apple Pay through the Target app so maybe there was some wonkiness.

Check your order status on Target.com. The cancellation email might be referencing one of your failed checkout attempts.

Snookie

so frustrated with this. I was able to snag a European one back in June but i really wanted a US one. I guess i'll take what i can get. Ill keep trying though

jrcbandit

I agree. Wanted one for myself, my bro, and my nieces.
Exactly. One of my friends since elementary school is really excited to get one of these for SF2 and he had no luck. Going to sell one of mine to him at cost if I actually get more than 1 in. I don't really trust these pre-orders after the Walmart fiasco so I ordered 1 from as many stores as I could.

cube444

Good on you man.

If I was ever in a situation where I landed more than I needed, I'd meet up with a local GAFer and sell it for the same price I bought it at.

jviggy43

Anyone snag an extra one that didn't get an NES mini and wants to trade? I have an extra NES mini unopened and would be willing to trade + pay the extra 20 or whatever for shipping.

hayejin

I just realized I received moviepass card and was going to on binge movie theater every night but I can't due to preorders popping at any given time......

Gotta stay near computer or phone all the time.

zulux21

Anyone snag an extra one that didn't get an NES mini and wants to trade? I have an extra NES mini unopened and would be willing to trade + pay the extra 20 or whatever for shipping.

I did and that is tempting but might I recommend waiting until after launch to see how difficult these actually are to get? I mean they could be plentiful at launch and could result in a sticky trade situation as while I am sure the other person would still love the trade I am not sure you would want to still do a trade of a rare console to someone else for something you could walk into target and get.

Top Bottom