• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

NeOak

Target was releasing them in batches all day. I got one around 3pm PST just randomly checking. Amazon and Walmart were snatched in seconds by bots.

Did you even read the article?

Amazon made a separate listing at 4:30 AM EDT.

Jesus, read the OP.

aeiron

Neo Member
Did you even read the article?

Amazon made a separate listing at 4:30 AM EDT.

Jesus, read the OP.

You sound angry. Didn't get one eh? Since you're an expert on the intricacies of this bot and how it works mind filling the rest of us in?

Draper

The question remains, do I keep the 2 UK ones that I ordered, or do I cancel and be content with the 2 I got from Best Buy?

Lt.Chips

I got my NES classic from Best Buy way after the initial preorders were already done, when a second batch of preorders became open. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same with the SNES classic!

I mean... if he has four locked in, why would he cancel? He could sell significantly under the scalper amount yet above MSRP. That way everybody wins

And this:

Well the scalpers are not going to have it their own way. Wouldn't surprise me if trolls start bidding on their auction and not paying. I hope so to waste their time.

Still don't get why he needed to order four though. Yes Nintendo are to blame, but people like him don't help the situation unless he wants to sell to someone on here for the retail price and shipping. I'm happy that I ordered mine the minute it went up on the UK site.

You sound angry. Didn't get one eh? Since you're an expert on the intricacies of this bot and how it works mind filling the rest of us in?

If I called you what you sound like, I'd get banned.

Amazon didn't get bottled out. The systems were up for way longer than the 30 seconds we saw on all sites this afternoon. You'd know that if you took 10 seconds to read the update on the front page.

bots were camping the amazon snes classic page that everyone was familiar with. amazon created a new listing, bypassing the bots

bots couldn't have snatched that listing initially because they wouldn't have known about it until it was live. i mean, they could have, but after the fact that people had access to it

please don't be condescending

Kyzer

Banned
Tim on Kinda Funny said his insiders said that the number of units shipped was absolutely NOT more abundant than the NEs mini; rather it was the same. Fucking nintendo.

Hopefully they will continue to ship though instead of immediately bring discontinued

I could have sworn the whole "producing more units" thing was in relation to keeping shipments going throughout the rest of the year.

I'm not saying there shouldnt have been higher allocations for preorder. But i think youre all misinterpreting that statement.

RedZaraki

Banned
My rough estimate on these:

500,000 lifetime produced.

Demand: 5+ million.

There aren't going to be enough damned units. Nowhere close.

jgwhiteus

Is GameTrust an official vendor for the SNES classic on Amazon? I thought GameTrust was affiliated with GameStop?

That was just the title on the listing, the actual vendor on the order is displayed as Amazon.com, LLC.

When the weird pre-order page first went up, people pointed out that there is other official Nintendo merchandise (e.g. Switch Joy-Cons) on Amazon which for some reason are titled "GameTrust" products, e.g. the Red JoyCons:
https://www.amazon.com/GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon-Red-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MT8RT5I

The Nintendo Blue JoyCons had the title of "Nintendo Digital Downloads / GameTrust" as well (when the SNES Classic went up it was called "Nintendo Digital Downloads / Game Trust: SNES Classic" or similar):
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Digital-Downloads-GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon/dp/B01MT8USZN

So the Amazon pre-order is still a little weird, but since the seller is officially Amazon.com, LLC and they've had other Nintendo listings with the same title, and apparently multiple customer reps confirmed that was the page for pre-orders, it could very well have been the real thing.

Jigolo

If anyone wants to trade my Amazon pre-order for your Best Buy pre-order (if I can change payment info) it'd be cool since I got BB gift cards. I missed their pre-order window though...

qko

69efc4a3f8.png

How is this Nintendo's fault?

jviggy43

I could have sworn the whole "producing more units" thing was in relation to keeping shipments going throughout the rest of the year.

I'm not saying there shouldnt have been higher allocations for preorder. But i think youre all misinterpreting that statement.

Honestly its not easy to interpret whet they meant with the statement they gave so no one knows.

Lt.Chips

That was just the title on the listing, the actual vendor on the order is displayed as Amazon.com, LLC.

When the weird pre-order page first went up, people pointed out that there is other official Nintendo merchandise (e.g. Switch Joy-Cons) on Amazon which for some reason are titled "GameTrust" products, e.g. the Red JoyCons:
https://www.amazon.com/GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon-Red-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MT8RT5I

The Nintendo Blue JoyCons had the title of "Nintendo Digital Downloads / GameTrust" as well (when the SNES Classic went up it was called "Nintendo Digital Downloads / Game Trust: SNES Classic" or similar):
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Digital-Downloads-GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon/dp/B01MT8USZN

So the Amazon pre-order is still a little weird, but since the seller is officially Amazon.com, LLC and they've had other Nintendo listings with the same title, and apparently multiple customer reps confirmed that was the page for pre-orders, it could very well have been the real thing.

Appreciate the detailed reponse. Cheers!

jviggy43

How is this Nintendo's fault?

Because their inability to meet demand and possibly discontinuation of the item in demand leads to environments conducive to scalping. The first wave will always have scalpers but the people paying up are the ones who need immediate satisfaction while most others will just wait. This means both the price scalpers charge can't go as high and won't be as widely sought after. However knowing the item will also likely be discontinued by the years' end on top of the lack of production means scalpers have much mroe incentive to work hard for this and charge much higher prices.

How people keep trying to pin this back on the people taking advantage of Nintendo forgoing their own market is beyond me.

That seems pretty easy to interpret.

Lol no it absolutely does not. How much more is abundant? Did they mean in terms of shipments (which right now is currently being reported as on par with the NES) or the number of shipments? We don't know. That statement could mean any number of things coming from nintendo.

orborborb

you can blame scalpers and retailers for making it impossible to do a limited release where fans feel they had a fair shot, you can blame nintendo for doing a limited release anyway

edit: but to be fair to them from a business perspective the decision is probably either this or nothing, not this or compete with their own current consoles with a cheaper console that they dont make new games for

Top Bottom