• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

NolbertoS

Target was releasing them in batches all day. I got one around 3pm PST just randomly checking. Amazon and Walmart were snatched in seconds by bots.

Oaky for the record, the Amazon one wasn't snatched by bots. It was up for 5-10min. The BB order was up for almost 20 minutes. The Walmart, Target, Gamestop eere snatched in seconds or lets day 2-3 minutes. Reason for that is the scalpers and bots were awake and aware that today was gonna be a bloodbath. If every retsiler were as saavy ad BB and Amazon and released them late and in different pages, I'm sure the listings would be up for at least 10-15 min. You can blame Nintendo on creating this artificial demand or retailers. Regardless, I'm sure some retailers will get secobd patched at random times in the next 2-3 months. Knowing Nintendo they'll have the SNES Classic up until Xmas than release a press release saying it was limited and thanks everybody.

After multiple unsuccessful attempts starting at 5am Chicago time I was able to preorder at $165 bundle from GameStop. Makes me want to puke that I have to buy it from GameStop AND that it's a bundle, but I guess that's better than no preorder right? I'm seriously still shocked how this whole thing went down. What a mess and an embarrassment.

qko

Because their inability to meet demand and possibly discontinuation of the item in demand leads to environments conducive to scalping. The first wave will always have scalpers but the people paying up are the ones who need immediate satisfaction while most others will just wait. This means both the price scalpers charge can't go as high and won't be as widely sought after. However knowing the item will also likely be discontinued by the years' end on top of the lack of production means scalpers have much mroe incentive to work hard for this and charge much higher prices.

How people keep trying to pin this back on the people taking advantage of Nintendo forgoing their own market is beyond me.

I agree that if Nintendo discontinues this in January then they learned nothing and fuck em for that. I do hope they give this a full year or 2 of production leaving scalpers to drop the price to near MSRP levels. But that is expecting too much at this point. You still can't fault them for people buying 50-70 at a time.

btrboyev

Nintendo should have just opened up pre-orders the very minute they announced the machine. It would have taken everyone by surprise, bits wouldn't be set up for it and it would have given them 2 months extra time to see where demand was.

NolbertoS

69efc4a3f8.png

You do know that Amazon will likely cancel all multiple pre-orders. They faced a huge backlash from customers last round and are known to cancel randomly. BB controlled the orders and allowed 2 per order, although some claimed 3 and cancelled a ton of orders from people that bought more than 3.

jviggy43

I agree that if Nintendo discontinues this in January then they learned nothing and fuck em for that. I do hope they give this a full year or 2 of production leaving scalpers to drop the price to near MSRP levels. But that is expecting too much at this point. You still can't fault them for people buying 50-70 at a time.

Yes I can and I do. Those people buying that many would hardly have the demand for them if the consoles were shipped in better attempts to meet demand and if nintendo confirmed they wouldn't discontinue the item. Most people are rightfully assuming ti will be discontinued given that the NES was one of the most sought after gaming items Ive seen in some time and Nintendo went, na fuck off everyone were done. Even their inability to just say "Hey we wont discontinue this item for the foreseeable future" would mean those 50-70 consoles would be sitting in that dudes basement or the price hed be charging would be drastically dropped because then people would know they could wait and get one later. Its Nintendo's fault, them alone. This whole thing is hilariously stupid and such a nintendo first world problem.

I was able to get a pre-order at Best Buy after being duped by Walmart last month. The resell market is going to be a mess until we get concrete information on how long production will continue.
I thought Nintendo said they're only making them this calendar year and then that's it?

You do know that Amazon will likely cancel all multiple pre-orders. They faced a huge backlash from customers last round and are known to cancel randomly. BB controlled the orders and allowed 2 per order, although some claimed 3 and cancelled a ton of orders from people that bought more than 3.

Yeah, I was able to grab 3, however the 3rd one I had as a pick up at a different store than the other 2. Not sure if that really matters or not, but all 3 are still holding strong.

jgwhiteus

Does this mean BB's preorders will open again in the near future, since there are cancelled units?

They could, or they could also hold the canceled units for release day since supposedly another batch is supposed to go out then.

Honestly, part of me wonders why any retailer would put up additional units for pre-order at this point. They're not especially worried about getting rid of stock. When they do put them up people (and bots) rush their websites and slow down the servers, preventing regular customers from purchasing other items.

They know there's rabid demand for these, and they can help drive sales of other products - makes more sense from a sales perspective to put them in bundles with less desirable goods (like ThinkGeek / GameStop) or hold them for physical locations to drive foot traffic and increase in-store sales (like ToysRUs). And heck the holiday season is going to be around the corner; I can imagine a lot of units being held for Black Friday sales / door-busters, etc., or random promotions like Amazon's Treasure Trucks.

Zombine

Banned
Went to my GameStop around 1:45 pm and managed to get one of the final 3 (out of 7) that were left. The girl in front of me bitched that I was going to budge in line and I assured her that I would not. Right after that she got to the register and tried to buy the rest of the stock right there like an absolute asshole and was shot down.

shira

Been trying all day but sadly haven't been able to get one, hopefully amazon will cancel all those who ordered massive amounts (Why wasn't there an ordering limit when the page went live initially especially with this being the second "classic" release?) and more will be available there or elsewhere soon. I remember being a young girl in the late 90's and playing Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong on the SNES so unlike the NES classic I was hoping to be able to grab one of these.

I admit I really don't know too much about ebays policies but couldn't ebay ban all listings of the snes classic for X amount of months after release? I could have sworn ebay has in the past disallowed certain listings or maybe I'm remembering something different. Killing the avenues for scalpers to make money seems like a highly effective way to reduce scalping.

At least I have euro version preordered on amazon.de. But I wouldhave preferred the US version for nostalgia.

If anyone that got an extra US version would be willing to do an even trade for my euro one I am down, even though the euro one is running me something like $120-130 USD andter tax and shipping and everything.

Been trying all day but sadly haven't been able to get one, hopefully amazon will cancel all those who ordered massive amounts (Why wasn't there an ordering limit when the page went live initially especially with this being the second "classic" release?) and more will be available there or elsewhere soon. I remember being a young girl in the late 90's and playing Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong on the SNES so unlike the NES classic I was hoping to be able to grab one of these.

I admit I really don't know too much about ebays policies but couldn't ebay ban all listings of the snes classic for X amount of months after release? I could have sworn ebay has in the past disallowed certain listings or maybe I'm remembering something different. Killing the avenues for scalpers to make money seems like a highly effective way to reduce scalping.

Ebay doesnt give a shit. They get their 10% cut.

Lt.Chips

They could, or they could also hold the canceled units for release day since supposedly another batch is supposed to go out then.

Honestly, part of me wonders why any retailer would put up additional units for pre-order at this point. They're not especially worried about getting rid of stock. When they do put them up people (and bots) rush their websites and slow down the servers, preventing regular customers from purchasing other items.

They know there's rabid demand for these, and they can help drive sales of other products - makes more sense from a sales perspective to put them in bundles with less desirable goods (like ThinkGeek / GameStop) or hold them for physical locations to drive foot traffic and increase in-store sales (like ToysRUs). And heck the holiday season is going to be around the corner; I can imagine a lot of units being held for Black Friday sales / door-busters, etc., or random promotions like Amazon's Treasure Trucks.

This is a very sensible post. I agree that there isn't a real motivation for brick and mortar retailers to put up more preorders.

eBay could, but I don't know why they would - each that sells is $30 in their pocket. Get a 100,000 units... easy money.

Went to my GameStop around 1:45 pm and managed to get one of the final 3 (out of 7) that were left. The girl in front of me bitched that I was going to budge in line and I assured her that I would not. Right after that she got to the register and tried to buy the rest of the stock right there like an absolute asshole and was shot down.

Oooo did she whine more when she got shot down? Why the heck was she worried you were gonna cut, she's... right there...

Lt.Chips

I still have an SNES classic sitting in my Best Buy cart from earlier that won't let me check out. But I don't have the heart to let it go.

Nintendo needs its own Tim Cook. Someone from the outside who can come in and reshape how the company operates its production and supply chain internationally. It's unbelievable to me how conservatively this company is run. They're a global operation that functions like a regional business. I'll never understand it. They also need a world class PR team because....man Nintendo has the worst communication skills in the entire industry, bar none.

I'm debating camping out at toys r us or Best Buy for a unit for my cousin
Wonder if toys r us will have more since they won't do pre orders
I stole his zelda link to the past back when we were kids lol

Gotta make it up to him

Are script bots going to be a thing from now on I wonder ? I followed links today as soon as they were announced and the sites were already sold out. That's faster than anything I've seen before and I'm usually pretty good at getting LE items before they sell out. Today feels a little insane .

dafodeu

GAF should I be concerned with my Gamestop preorder?

I ordered in store but he didn't put the preorder on my powerup rewards pro card. The receipt says my correct name and number but it isn't the correct powerup account number. I can't log into the account on gamestop's website and it says the powerup reward number has already been activated.

This is extra strange because 15 minutes earlier the same employee took money from me for another preorder and it was added to the correct powerup account.

Anyway for me to get the preorder switched to my correct account? I don't want to risk the preorder getting cancelled?

Zombine

Banned
Oooo did she whine more when she got shot down? Why the heck was she worried you were gonna cut, she's... right there...

She said that she was next in line and that she was waiting for both employees and was going to go to either one that opened first.

I politely reminded her that that's how waiting in line works.

Get'sMad

Missed out :/

Just gonna stroll into Target the morning of release and see if I can pick one up like I did successfully for the Switch launch.

urfe

I have a question about pre-orders. I have never honestly pre-ordered something like this.

I have a pre-order with Target through Borderfree (who they use for international orders).

What are the chances that a pre-order would be canceled, what situations does it usually happen, and by when could I feel quite secure that it will actually be coming? I'm half worried that communication between Target and Borderfree would make a discrepancy of some sort, and cause it to be canceled, but I have no idea about these sorts of things.

Triz

I still think Walmart should have offered the preorder they put up today to the people (like me) they fucked over last month with canceling of the orders.

mjc

GAF should I be concerned with my Gamestop preorder?

I ordered in store but he didn't put the preorder on my powerup rewards pro card. The receipt says my correct name and number but it isn't the correct powerup account number. I can't log into the account on gamestop's website and it says the powerup reward number has already been activated.

This is extra strange because 15 minutes earlier the same employee took money from me for another preorder and it was added to the correct powerup account.

Anyway for me to get the preorder switched to my correct account? I don't want to risk the preorder getting cancelled?

I had to do the same thing as the POS servers were fucked. He added me as a new customer with the exact same contact info. You should be fine. Power up accounts are tied to phone numbers too.

LiamA

I got lucky and got one from Best Buy and one from Amazon. I'm either gonna give the extra to my brother for Christmas or sell it at cost to an irl or Internet friend who missed out.

Scalpers get scalped.

Top Bottom