• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
The world couldn't take a GBA classic with Mother 3 on it.

200.gif

"We bouta make a killin' pleiboi, ya hurd?"

Mrbob

Wait, Gamestop.com now says sold out? Not just restock in the future. Gone. No more left on day one of pre ordering. That's funny. Sign up for that newsletter though for details on a product you can't own.

JakeD

I debated the $150 thinkgeek bundle for about 15 seconds before pulling the trigger. I decided I'd be more pissed about missing out on an snes classic than I would be about a lost $60. My grandparents are gonna love their new Mario calendar and coffee mug on xmas!!

Tim on Kinda Funny said his insiders said that the number of units shipped was absolutely NOT more abundant than the NEs mini; rather it was the same. Fucking nintendo.

That doesn't really say much unless they know how many restocks are planned. If they ship the exact same number of units per restock, but restock twice or three times as long or in higher frequency then the total would be more than NES mini.

Wait, Gamestop.com now says sold out? Not just restock in the future. Gone. No more left on day one of pre ordering. That's funny. Sign up for that newsletter though for details on a product you can't own.

Yeah I just noticed this. So I'm assuming Gamestop is done with pre-orders?

Socivol

Gamestop.com didn't even have them up for any extended period since it crashed. I wonder if they just said fuck it so their website can actually go back up and be stable.

I don't just blame nintendo, I also blame scalpers. Fuck em.

Why not blame Nintendo. They announced, in advance, that the system was going to be a limited time only product. People who would normally wait it out can't do so because Nintendo can't be fucking bothered to keep selling something that people want.

Horns

Just a shitty situation. Had it in my cart at 3 different stores and multiple times at some, yet nothing to show for it. Couldn't fucking pay for it anywhere. All those alerts I set up for text and email didn't help. What a waste of time. Nintendo are idiots. The retailers whibsold more than one are bigger idiots. Sucks.

bonesquad

Gamestop.com didn't even have them up for any extended period since it crashed. I wonder if they just said fuck it so their website can actually go back up and be stable.

All the ThinkGeek bundles sold out. So they might as well put the main site back up...

Boke1879

Scalpers will always exist. I blame Nintendo for this situation though. There is nothing stopping them for making enough to satisfy demand instead of treat this like one of Willy Wonka's golden tickets.

Mrbob

Why not blame Nintendo. They announced, in advance, that the system was going to be a limited time only product. People who would normally wait it out can't do so because Nintendo can't be fucking bothered to keep selling something that people want.

Agreed. Blame needs to be 100% on Nintendo.

Socivol

You should 100% blame Nintendo. Scalpers can only exist and thrive when there is not enough supply to meet demand. If Nintendo actually met demand nobody would pay ridiculous prices to scalpers. Remember how many of them screwed themselves with the Wii U when they oversupplied and the demand was weak.

basik

Got one from target around 5:35 est thanks to this thread. Wasnt using bot and I had to make a account at target after i added to cart and it went through.

Nintendo is making these to advertise the brand name and build the IP of these games, they want people to buy a switch or 3ds, not this, thats why its limited. They never wanted to make a huge supply of them. I missed out on nes classic but got one of these.

jviggy43

That doesn't really say much unless they know how many restocks are planned. If they ship the exact same number of units per restock, but restock twice or three times as long or in higher frequency then the total would be more than NES mini.

Ok but its still laughable that the first stock was the same amount as the NEs regardless and we have no idea if second or third will be done in higher frequency because nintendo hasn't said jack shit.

No. The ONLY reason scalpers have this much power is because of Nintendo. Again stop blaming the symptoms and blame the disease causing the symptoms.

jviggy43

Got one from target around 5:35 est thanks to this thread. Wasnt using bot and I had to make a account at target after i added to cart and it went through.

Nintendo is making these to advertise the brand name and build the IP of these games, they want people to buy a switch or 3ds, not this, thats why its limited. They never wanted to make a huge supply of them. I missed out on nes classic but got one of these.

Great brand awareness......

"Nintendo: fuck you we don't want your money"

ST2K

Got my ThinkGeek confirmation email finally. Looks like I'm (relatively) safe.

Thanks to all that posted tips in the thread, and for those still searching, good luck on the hunt.

NolbertoS

Alright GAF, we all need to be prepapred. Like the NES Classic, rhere was trickle of bundles afterwards, so now either lineup or just create an F5 bot to help you out. I can just imagine if the N64 mini comes out

Failed at trying to get them at any pre-order spots so I told my boss I had an emergency I had to take care of and drove my ass to the nearest gamestop for an in person pre-order. Barely made it..but I made it.

Now I just wonder if they will still do wait in line prior to release day orders. I had a friend that plans to do so..

Sizzel

Most I mentioned this to today said some variation of Nah I don't want one, but I would flip it on fill in the blank. A few said Star Fox 2 will just be released on the internet so who cares.

Nintendo has a great model like Adidas shoes.. a whole market of people who don;t really want the product, but only care what they can resell it for. It looks like Nintendo COULD sell these for 150-200 ish and everyone that actually wanted one... could buy one. At 80 bucks.. some who actually want one get that price... but will have to end up paying 200+.

It is like Nintendo is selling 20 dollars for 10 bucks. I don;t have a fix for this. Nintendo either needs to sell them for more money OR produce more if they care about addressing this. Good press and good for them though. If they are hitting their target returns.. then nothing will change. Great for business bad for gamers. If I were nintendo.. I would just mark them up.

basik

I suspect if nintendo was ever truly in money danger of 'going third party' they would flood the market with classics and fix that problem.

traveler

Not Wario
I guess the positive side to finding out I had a kidney stone amidst great pain last night was that I was actually awake for the best buy preorders. Still not sure I'd keep it were I offered the position to trade it for not having the kidney stone beforehand. I'll look on the bright side for now at least.

aeiron

Neo Member
Target was releasing them in batches all day. I got one around 3pm PST just randomly checking. Amazon and Walmart were snatched in seconds by bots.

Top Bottom