• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

RedZaraki

Banned
For every ten people that are hunting for these things fiercely, one will get it.

There aren't enough.

They didn't make nearly enough.

Just accept you probably won't get one, unless you pay 3 times scalper markup.

RedZaraki

Banned
I missed the NES.
I got 2 SNES preorders through Amazon.
Not even going to seriously try that N64 one until some shit changes.

Idk man this is just bad business how they're doing people dirty. Nintendo's the only gaming company that this always happens to.

What's the last product that they had a great amount of with no shortages?

Wii U. But for all the wrong reasons.

RedZaraki

Banned
If it were me, I'd keep pumping these suckers out as long as they keep selling.

If demand is 20 million, I make 20 million.

It's all about total brand saturation and having Nintendo in every household in America.

There's literally no reason for them to make "limited" anything.

People want your shit. Just make them and they'll sell. Instead, you're losing tons of opportunity and pissing off some of your fans at the same time.

My dozen orders from Target got canceled by Fraud Prevention lol (I mean duh!!). Luckily, I got an order from UK and an order locally.

Did they cancel all of your orders, or just bring it down to the one?

People want your shit. Just make them and they'll sell. Instead, you're losing tons of opportunity and pissing off some of your fans at the same time.

Nintendo doesn't care about their fans. It's a shame since their fans helped them out through the WiiU and GCN, but even then that's not something that fans should "take credit" for, I think.

It's all about total brand saturation and having Nintendo in every household in America.

Shhhh. Nintendo does business in its own ways.

sirpikaz

Neo Member
They want hype, the worst part is it works, people around me who never would have bought this otherwise, want it, because they can't get it. I think they could have had 5x the pre-orders available and still had the same hype. I still don't condone this practice to be clear.

That's, debatable.

I never understood why this was dismissed and seen as 'defending' Nintendo when people would lay this out. It's a very logical and valid reason to limit supply of something. Think about how much faster the SNES Classics sold out. No doubt that was due to the previous hyped demand of the NES. Unless we know what it's costing Nintendo to license the games and secure manufacture contracts, we can't say "they're leaving millions" because we just don't know.

Now the point where you can begin to question it all is if Nintendo cannot flip this into Switch sales.

Beartruck

I got one through the gamestop in store, but my friend missed out. I know Toys r us isn't doing preorders so im going to camp out early and see if I can get one for him.

That's 100% spot-on, specifically the parallels to Nike.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and a large number of folks on them this past week uttered some variation of "I don't even know why I want it so bad" before confessing the scarcity fuels their desire. Kurt, on Kotaku Splitscreen, comes to mind. He has zero nostalgia for SNES, and yet, he was frantically trying to get one.

Back when I collected sneakers, it was the same impulse that drove me.

mrk8885

Banned
Are you new to Nintendo? They are terrible at this.

Im just saying that a few stores arent even doing preorders, and Nintendo has said shipments will continue for the rest of the year.

Offering preorders was already an improvement from the NES classic.

And furthermore, its not Nintendos fault that amazon made a boneheaded mistake not limiting purchases to 1 unit. Or I suppose you blame Nintendo for that too?

Nairume

Banned

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and a large number of folks on them this past week uttered some variation of "I don't even know why I want it so bad" before confessing the scarcity fuels their desire. Kurt, on Kotaku Splitscreen, comes to mind. He has zero nostalgia for SNES, and yet, he was frantically trying to get one.

In reminded of how people were down on the Mario anniversary collection when it was announced, because they only focused on the game disc just being Mario All-Stars and ignored the rest of the stuff in the collection.

Then it turned out it was a limited release thing and everyone went crazy over it.

Im just saying that a few stores arent even doing preorders, and Nintendo has said shipments will continue for the rest of the year.

Offering preorders was already an improvement from the NES classic.

And furthermore, its not Nintendos fault that amazon made a boneheaded mistake not limiting purchases to 1 unit. Or I suppose you blame Nintendo for that too?

People want it on release day, and they don't want to have to camp out or stress about rushing to the stores for a chance to get one.

Those are perfectly reasonable desires.

In reminded of how people were down on the Mario anniversary collection when it was announced, because they only focused on the game disc just being Mario All-Stars and ignored the rest of the stuff in the collection.

Then it turned out it was a limited release thing and everyone went crazy over it.

And Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc. Copies of those games sat on shelves for months and months. Once word hit that they were becoming scarce, it became a frenzy.

And it was the same with Amiibos 18-24 months ago. When the supply was limited the desire for collectors was much higher. People I know who got into them slowly tapered off as the 'hunt' became less exciting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Happened to be in front of my PC when the pre-orders went live for Amazon UK. Was in two minds what to do with it, as I have no strong feelings for the SNES. The N64 is my favourite console of all time so I'm gonna hold on to the SNES incase I need to trade it for an N64 classic. I'll go fucking Nuclear if I miss out on that.

Minions

The threat of missing out, or knowing you might have to pay 2-3x the price if you don't fight for one on release is what drives people into a frenzy. When you are successful at ordering one you feel a sense of accomplishment and feel like you beat out tons of other people. That is really what is driving a lot of this. Unfortunately its way harder now to get a snes classic than it was to get a nes classic at launch. Now people are aware of the product. When the nes classic launched there were only 7 people waiting in line at warlmart to get their hands on one... I wouldn't even bother attempting to wait in line for a snes classic since seeing how long the lines are just for preorders at gamestop.

JakeD

whats the goal for nintendo though? driving up this insane demand and selling tiny amounts then ending production? with sneakers, if you go at 4am to get some limited jordans and miss out, youll go at 3am for the next one. buying other more common Nike shit in the meantime.

if you miss out at snes classic...you're just pissed off. i can tell you, none of my 3 IRL people im trying to score classics for are going to settle for a n3ds and Virtual Console if they dont get one. theyll shrug and go back to playing mobile games

That link is moronic, raise MSRP, keep the hype and pocket the money yourself.

Business advice from people on internet message boards Vs. Wallstreet analysts and repeated patterns of multi-billion dollar corporations...

I think I know which ones are more likely to be moronic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So after this , it's seems a N64 mini could be a possibility

I wonder about this. Does Nintendo have enough games that would be considered "classics" on the N64 that aren't licensed? Outside of Mario 64, Waverace and DK64, I don't remember many Nintendo classics on the system. I do remember some great 3rd party games they simply have no chance at getting. Not to mention Rare games they probably can't get either.

RedZaraki

Banned
Business advice from people on internet message boards Vs. Wallstreet analysts and repeated patterns of multi-billion dollar corporations...

I think I know which ones are more likely to be moronic.

Nike is an overpriced, under quality brand that I hope to God Nintendo never tries to be like.

Im struggling to think what they could put on an N64 Mini to make it appealing when you wont have any of Rare's games.

N64DD games would do the trick probably.

Rare = Microsoft = Third party publisher. They can have Rare games on N64 Mini just like they have Minecraft on Switch or Castlevania and Street Fighter on the SNES Mini.

I wonder about this. Does Nintendo have enough games that would be considered "classics" on the N64 that aren't licensed? Outside of Mario 64, Waverace and DK64, I don't remember many Nintendo classics on the system. I do remember some great 3rd party games they simply have no chance at getting. Not to mention Rare games they probably can't get either.

Sin & Punishment would probably be on it. And Mario Kart 64 will appeal to a lot of people. Especially fans of Battle mode.

MercuryLS3

Exactly, why makes these for a limited time? Just keep making them and people will keep buying them. They're a great way to introduce kids to nintendo games. Nintendo was complaining that kids are growing up without playing mario titles, this is one way to fix that you idiots.

Yukinari

Rare = Microsoft = Third party publisher. They can have Rare games on N64 Mini just like they have Minecraft on Switch or Castlevania and Street Fighter on the SNES Mini.

The most likely Rare game theyd want to work something out for is Diddy Kong Racing since both companies own characters in it and its only been on Nintendo platforms.

Minions

Im struggling to think what they could put on an N64 Mini to make it appealing when you wont have any of Rare's games.

N64DD games would do the trick probably.

Its possible a deal could be worked out. The only issue I see is a lot of the n64 games got ported the the 360, and Microsoft seems fond of giving those out to people as free backwards compatible titles. Still I think the hardest one to work out would be Goldeneye since they would have to negotiate with not only Microsoft, but the James bond people as well.

Top Bottom