• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Erevador

Almost had a heart attack when I got the Amazon email.

I put in my Amazon order more or less the moment the weird listing went up, before it was on GAF or Wario's Twitter. A very early order. So I imagine everyone who ordered got this ominous email.

"You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic."

I better.

oti

Banned
I got the e-mail on one of my orders but my cousin didn't. We both ordered 2 but I had mine ordered before him, also his are on one order but I went back after I got one and ordered another, could be a timing or multiple order thing, don't know yet.

Could be sent out in waves.

Tron 2.0

I believe everyone who pre-ordered is receiving this email. I don’t think it necessarily means pre-orders won’t be shipped on time.

Toki767

Amazon's e-mail makes it sound like Nintendo aren't giving them as many as they originally said they would.

Or that Nintendo aren't going to ship these things to be delivered until a day or two before release.

TrojanAg

Still doesn't mean that they won't arrive by 9/29. They're probably sorting out orders with more than 1 and reducing those. I think once they go through that then they'll know. This may even open up the opportunity to have more preorders before launch.

spad3

I can't find the order number on my receipt. Where's it located? I also tried looking up my order by the last four of my CC and email but it came up empty. Slightly worried....

You ordered in-store correct? Stores require phone number and email to process reserves. The only way I'm aware of tracking reserves online for in-store reserves is to sign up for their free card. Double check with your store to see if it's still there, then sign up for the free card using the same info you gave them for your reserve.

Second this. I haven't renewed my Power Up rewards in years, but I am able to still track my preorders on the app - which is actually pretty clean and nicely organized with updates.

Exactly. I used to work for GS back when they were trying to get their paid version mainstream. The free version still has the main functionality of tracking stuff and it does it really well.

I received the delay email as well, for both my orders. As of this comment both my orders are still there. Ordered two SNES Classics on two separate orders so maybe I'll still receive both, who knows.

oti

Banned
Amazon's e-mail makes it sound like Nintendo aren't giving them as many as they originally said they would.

Or that Nintendo aren't going to ship these things to be delivered until a day or two before release.

It does sound like their first allotment is not enough. Makes me wonder if they had any number at all from Nintendo or they said "screw it, those guys are way too slow, let's just start taking pre-orders now".

Why is this experience so much worse than in Europe?

My order for 99 got reduced to 1
Although I still have multiple orders and they're all good.

dude...

qko

Only ordered one on Amazon and got the email. I was kinda late to the game so maybe I'll be near the late batch they send it to.

It does sound like their first allotment is not enough. Makes me wonder if they had any number at all from Nintendo or they said "screw it, those guys are way too slow, let's just start taking pre-orders now.

Probably a smarter decision since they can sort the initial allotment, keep orders closed. Keep requesting more from NoA to fulfill this first rush and repeat.

Whereas Walmart and Target might probably cancel orders, open them up again, have people order 100, close orders after 2 minutes, cancel, open up, repeat, repeat.

Tron 2.0

It does sound like their first allotment is not enough. Makes me wonder if they had any number at all from Nintendo or they said "screw it, those guys are way too slow, let's just start taking pre-orders now".
There is literally nothing in the email itself to support this.

People are losing their damn minds.

Toki767

We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience.

That literally implies either Nintendo aren't giving them the stock they originally mentioned or that Nintendo might not get the stock to them in time to make the original release date delivery.

oti

Banned

If they can't fulfill every order at launch, that means they don't have enough units for launch. Unless everyone got the mail. In that case this gets even weirder.

cordy

Banned
My order for 99 got reduced to 1
Although I still have multiple orders and they're all good.

cmU9Lgx.gif

We gotta suffer because of dudes like you

Tron 2.0

We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience.

That literally implies either Nintendo aren't giving them the stock they originally mentioned or that Nintendo might not get the stock to them in time to make the original release date delivery.
Given that every person who pre-ordered seems to be receiving the email is your conclusion that Nintendo reduced Amazon’s allotment to zero?

Kusagari

Honestly, every single one of us with a preorder should be worried until we get it in our hands.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Target took too many orders as well.

Sulik2

Nintendo undershipping preorders happened with the NES classic as well. Waiting until the last minute for preorders you think would have been to ensure they actually know how many they are sending to stores, but Nintendo's incompetence knows no bounds.

JABEE

The real litmus test is whether the GAFer who broke the news on this deal got that e-mail. He beat everybody to the punch, including Wario64.

Edit: This wonderful gem of a human being.

I ordered right when he posted this and I did not get an email. I sent it to Wario64.

Edit: Actually probably 10 minutes late.

The real litmus test is whether the GAFer who broke the news on this deal got that e-mail. He beat everybody to the punch, including Wario64.

thanks for this. Was actually gonna go through the thread and try to find the user that broke this. Ironically I didn't use the posted link. I read people preordering on amazon and I went to amazon and searched it and noticed the listing. Once I read on gaf it was a weird listing I preordered anyways too.

Thanks powersurge. You dun Gods work there. I hope your preorders are as plentiful as the land of milk.

I wonder if we beat CAG to this preorder news? Would be hilarious after they insulted out gaf in the Gamestop thread.

ReyVGM

Nintendo undershipping preorders happened with the NES classic as well. Waiting until the last minute for preorders you think would have been to ensure they actually know how many they are sending to stores, but Nintendo's incompetence knows no bounds.

Nintendo is not incompetent. This is deliberate. This is a limited product, it has been announced as such since the start. A limited product will be... GASP! Limited!

When Nintendo says Limited, it's fucking limited!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Nintendo is not incompetent. This is deliberate. This is a limited product, it has been announced as such since the start. A limited product will be... GASP! Limited!

or they are legitimately producing as many of these as they can given the production facilities they have access too, and trying to hit overall demand over a 6-month window.

The problem with stuff like this is everyone wants it DAY 1, and that's not how manufacturing works these days (see iPhone, Airpods, shortages of CCGs, new console launches, et al)

spad3

Honestly, every single one of us with a preorder should be worried until we get it in our hands.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Target took too many orders as well.

I doubt Target exceeded allotment. Their system was emptying carts left and right. Most people reached the checkout stage and by the time they hit checkout the item was removed already.

I'd be more worried if I reserved at Best Buy. They have a history of accepting orders, confirming those orders, and then cancelling them close to release. The same applies to Walmart, who should be even more untrustworthy considering that they cancelled preorders in July because it was "too early." I don't think Walmart understands what "pre" means.

Spacebar

Gonna contact Amazon and demand 10$ credit for every unit removed. This isn't right. We had a contract deal and now others who didn't even wake up at 4am are going to get my classics.

Erevador

I ordered a bit before that post went up. I saw the listing go up in the comments in NowinStock maybe a few minutes before it was on GAF.

I got the email. I think everyone is getting it.

Actually, has Nintendo actually ever once before release said that either the NES or SNES classic would be limited releases? I remember only after the fact with the NES Classic that they said it was a holiday-intended release only. I don't think they have ever said anything about the SNES except that they would try to not have the shortages be as bad, but lol at that, obviously.

I ordered from Amazon and mine still says receiving on release date. Oh, they did change my order from 2 to 1. Best Buy is the real deal. Amazon is not.

ZeroCDR

It'll be nice if they open up pre-orders again, but they may need all those extras to fulfill just one per order. I also wouldn't put it past them to take those extras and give those Prime Now drivers something to do, like with the NES.

ReyVGM

or they are legitimately producing as many of these as they can given the production facilities they have access too, and trying to hit overall demand over a 6-month window.

The first part of your sentence, is not only possible, but is what is probably happening.

However the second part is not accurate as Nintendo said they will supply demand for the SNES Classic until December. So that's only 4 months and they could very well keep producing them for 6 or even an entire year if the demand is there.

ReyVGM

I doubt Target exceeded allotment. Their system was emptying carts left and right. Most people reached the checkout stage and by the time they hit checkout the item was removed already.

I'd be more worried if I reserved at Best Buy. They have a history of accepting orders, confirming those orders, and then cancelling them close to release. The same applies to Walmart, who should be even more untrustworthy considering that they cancelled preorders in July because it was "too early." I don't think Walmart understands what "pre" means.

Didn't Walmart confirm the reason why they had to cancel all those early pre-orders was because Nintendo told them to?

My guess there was a embargo for preorders. Notice how all stores opened their preorders on the same day? That's no coincidence.

TrojanAg

Actually, has Nintendo actually ever once before release said that either the NES or SNES classic would be limited releases? I remember only after the fact with the NES Classic that they said it was a holiday-intended release only. I don't think they have ever said anything about the SNES except that they would try to not have the shortages be as bad, but lol at that, obviously.

This is the original announcement in June:

We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content

ZeroCDR

Didn't Walmart confirm the reason why they had to cancel all those early pre-orders was because Nintendo told them to?

Well they also lasted for like 40 minutes, seeing as they sold out in 15 seconds a few days ago I'm gonna wager they did not possibly have the stock to honor the early pre-sales.

Top Bottom