• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The first part of your sentence, is not only possible, but is what is probably happening.

However the second part is not accurate as Nintendo said they will supply demand for the SNES Classic until December. So that's only 4 months and they could very well keep producing them for 6 or even an entire year if the demand is there.

Maybe, if they are shipping them from China thru December 31, that would mean new product hitting shelves thru February.

They keep saying there are way more in production, which they aren't lying about.

Demand is just stupid high for nostalgia infused old videogames. Perhaps it'd be a little less if they promised that they will continue producing them forever (no rush to get one?), but I really don't think that's even fueling the demand yet as everyone knows there are months more of these hitting. People just want it first.

ReyVGM

NES mini says no.

They didn't, but that doesn't mean they couldn't?

Maybe the reason they didn't was because the SNES Classic was already in production by then? And maybe the SNES Classic has a limited production because Nintendo is starting the N64 Classic production?

Hopefully once all these production woes are over, they will re-issue the NES Classic.

Chindogg

Gonna contact Amazon and demand 10$ credit for every unit removed. This isn't right. We had a contract deal and now others who didn't even wake up at 4am are going to get my classics.

I can never tell if posts like these are jokes considering the responses of people not getting one basically wishing the company would die.

Either way the entitlement is real.

Edit: Ok joke post. Glad to see some people are sensible.

mrchad

I had an order for 2 that was reduced to 1. The second was going to be a gift. I guess I should have created two orders separately. Oh well.

ReyVGM

Maybe, if they are shipping them from China thru December 31, that would mean new product hitting shelves thru February.

They keep saying there are way more in production, which they aren't lying about.

Demand is just stupid high for nostalgia infused old videogames. Perhaps it'd be a little less if they promised that they will continue producing them forever (no rush to get one?), but I really don't think that's even fueling the demand yet as everyone knows there are months more of these hitting. People just want it first.

Yup. In my case I wanted one the minute I heard they sold out and weren't making any more :p

When I heard the initial announcement (and the cord-length cries), I said "meh, I'll just wait for the eventual re-issue and more games". Oh boy was I wrong.

They didn't, but that doesn't mean they couldn't?

Maybe the reason they didn't was because the SNES Classic was already in production by then? And maybe the SNES Classic has a limited production because Nintendo is starting the N64 Classic production?

Hopefully once all these production woes are over, they will re-issue the NES Classic.

I agree with the last part. They'll probably re-release these things 5 years down the line. I highly doubt SNES mini will last longer than the NES mini. Sure they could do it but it wouldn't be because Nintendo listened to demand.

ZeroCDR

I had an order for 2 that was reduced to 1. The second was going to be a gift. I guess I should have created two orders separately. Oh well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually cancel separate orders too, otherwise why not leave orders of 2?

3G9vQJE.jpg

spad3

Didn't Walmart confirm the reason why they had to cancel all those early pre-orders was because Nintendo told them to?

My guess there was a embargo for preorders. Notice how all stores opened their preorders on the same day? That's no coincidence.

That makes a lot of sense, but why cancel? A preorder is a preorder regardless of when it goes live. Leave those who reserved on the list, just take the page down.

For comparison, it's like going to a theme park for a new ride, the ride operators saying "THIS RIDE IS NOW OPEN",everyone gets in line, then out of nowhere "JK THIS RIDE ISN'T ACTUALLY OPEN" kicking everyone out of line instead of giving them placeholders, only to have them come back in at a later date with "THIS RIDE IS NOW OPEN" and now everyone who was already in line first can't ride anymore without waiting an unbelievable amount of time.

The ride I'm talking about here is called Nintendo's Rollercoaster of Emotions :(

mjc

It sucks for people that ordered more than one for gifts, but this is the easiest step towards combating scalpers.

Got the 2 to 1 email. Shit, extra was for gift. Oh well, still have one from Target for my friend, but one other going to get something else this year. Or I will just give up mine to them.

Oh well, Starfox 2 it was never meant to be lol.

ReyVGM

That makes a lot of sense, but why cancel? A preorder is a preorder regardless of when it goes live. Leave those who reserved on the list, just take the page down.

For comparison, it's like going to a theme park for a new ride, the ride operators saying "THIS RIDE IS NOW OPEN",everyone gets in line, then out of nowhere "JK THIS RIDE ISN'T ACTUALLY OPEN" kicking everyone out of line instead of giving them placeholders, only to have them come back in at a later date with "THIS RIDE IS NOW OPEN" and now everyone who was already in line first can't ride anymore without waiting an unbelievable amount of time.

The ride I'm talking about here is called Nintendo's Rollercoaster of Emotions :(

I agree, but if they signed an embargo and they break the embargo, well, that can raise a problem with Nintendo and Walmart.

spad3

I agree, but if they signed an embargo and they break the embargo, well, that can raise a problem with Nintendo and Walmart.

Agreed, but Nintendo should penalize Walmart not the consumer. Walmart breaking embargo is Walmart's fault, not the consumer's. Consumers don't like being lied to lol

They can simply just keep making it in batches, keep it limited, but keep producing as long as it keeps selling. The demand is insane, they could easily keep pumping out batches of it and selling out, when interest starts to wane, then simply stop, nothing to lose.

The whole holding back to create artificial value is pretty stupid when you are not really making more on the product. Large part of such limited product releases, is to raise the price to maximize profit. And what is the point, unlike Sneakers that people keep using as an analogy, they aren't gonna keep doing this. They might do a classic N64 and then what? It's done? Not really much room to go, unlike Sneakers where they can keep pumping it out, raising prices. If they are ok with producing a small batch and happy with what it sells, then there is no reason to not make more batches to satisfy demand. Want to keep it valuable, then keep slowly releasing it in batches, selling out of preorders, and quit while ahead.

Nike and such have a long term goal with their limited releases.

evil ways

Scalpers that already ebayed their multiple Amazon pre-orders have to be shitting bricks right about now. It's only gonna make them more desperate when they have to either hit multiple retails on release day or risk having to refund hundreds of dollars.

cordy

Banned
Scalpers that already ebayed their multiple Amazon pre-orders have to be shitting bricks right about now. It's only gonna make them more desperate when they have to either hit multiple retails on release day or risk having to refund hundreds of dollars.
Yepppppppppppppppppppppppppp.

Those who leapt too soon are in trouble lol.

(hopefully)

ReyVGM

Unless they are new, they know the drill. This happens with every Nintendo high-profile limited/collector edition. If they buy ten, it will be stupid of them to post all 10 on ebay right away.

lucius

Good no retailer should allow more than one preorder, scalpers charging $300-600 on eBay it's stupid that this mess even has to happen.

so amazon will be putting them back up then?

Um. Who knows. North of the border we're still waiting for amazon.ca start pre-orders. Starting to wonder if the stock was to be split between both sites and .com's fuck up messed things up. That would at least explain the hold up (could also be the Quebec thing...we're really quite clueless right now).

IrishNinja

i know i keep asking, but: my preorder at game.co.uk went through a while back, but they still say they only ship to the UK. is this the case, has anyone stateside had an issue when it comes time to ship?

Ridley327

Oh man, between getting my pre-order in for the new Suspiria Blu-ray and reading in here about Amazon fucking over scalpers with the fury of a thousand suns, today has been a pretty good day!

Originally I had three orders totaling 6 units. Now after Amazon did reductions, I have at 3 units, as I had two orders with Amazon and one at Best Buy. Still three units which is good. I'm going to camp at toys r us to get more.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Still clinging to my single target.com pre-order, hoping that stays put lol.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
i know i keep asking, but: my preorder at game.co.uk went through a while back, but they still say they only ship to the UK. is this the case, has anyone stateside had an issue when it comes time to ship?
Ive ordered three things from them in the past and received two of them. Third one just got lost in the mail.

The other two got delivered to me, they took forever though to reach me in the states. Almost a month iirc with the cheapest shipping option and they also weren't items that said U.K. only fwiw.

Top Bottom