• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

NolbertoS

Finding 3 different ways to case a misspelling of Toys "Я" Us...
Impressive.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid, there's a million different that I can play with. When Inwas a kid, I use to think working at Toys R Us was the coolest adult job. Lo and Behold that I learned retail wasn't as fun :(

Pro note to Walmart preorders: Their shipping date estimates are always inconsistent. It's usually best to talk to a CS rep once the order is official. Every 'release date' delivery i've had from them says a week late.

Wow you're a prick.

Well okay,

Thanks for the encouragement. Going to try to hit atleast six preorders like other peeps around here. if only i had the power of bots... wish me luck!

Zen Aku

This stuff is obviously selling out fast. If people are buying extras for their friends or family who aren't in the know or on top of it like we are, more power to them. No need to shame them or call them scalpers.

nah you are a prick. 2-3 i can understand but when someone order 6-10+ for 'friends and family. thats a bit much.

nah you are a prick. 2-3 i can understand but when someone order 6-10+ for 'friends and family. thats a bit much.

still cracking me up that i'm taking the bunt of the name calling.

redirect it to nintendo or something.

you can't blame people for getting 6+ preorders and immediately call them scalpers. SNES is one of the most widespread and popular consoles ever. Personally it's not hard for me to believe that someone knows 10+ people that would love one of these things.

So the amazon listing was fixed?

RIP the dude yesterday that got his order cancelled because he kept badgering CS for "confirmation" on the non existent error page

qko

still cracking me up that i'm taking the bunt of the name calling.

redirect it to nintendo or something.

you can't blame people for getting 6+ preorders and immediately call them scalpers. SNES is one of the most widespread and popular consoles ever. Personally it's not hard for me to believe that someone knows 10+ people that would love one of these things.

Sure, I know 10+ people that would love one of these things and buy them off eBay for like $300.

Doesn't mean I ordered 10.

I don't get it. If they aren't scalping it, then I think it's fine. If they can get 10 and they are all for gifts and/or helping a friend(s), that's fine in my view. Each unit is going to a legit user as a result.

So the amazon listing was fixed?

RIP the dude yesterday that got his order cancelled because he kept badgering CS for "confirmation" on the non existent error page
Wait that actually happened to someone? I only remember people saying better not keep asking Amazon CS about it lest it triggers something bad, but I don't recall it actually happening.

Wait that actually happened to someone? I only remember people saying better not keep asking Amazon CS about it lest it triggers something bad, but I don't recall it actually happening.

The rep was given the 404 link and cancelled the order thinking it was a dud.

I think the discussion about not contacting CS referred to UK -> US pre-orders because of the "does not ship to US" stamp it carried

Ashhong

I mean, scalpers contribute nothing to markets, so the frustration is understandable.

It's not understandable because you have no proof someone is a scalper. I've got 6 now and each one is accounted for already at 0 profit. I laugh at the salt and the shaming for helping out my friends. As if I should care about random online strangers (or more likely, bots) getting it over an actual friend who doesn't follow Wario64 on twitter all day

001.jpg

Zen Aku

Good lord the salt in these last couple pages.

lolol at telling people to only buy one out of courtesy and not to buy any for "family or friends". wtf
that just makes me want to not rest easy with my preorders and buy more tbh.

Why is he a prick? was he going to mark it up 300% on family?

this is why. this quote made him sounds like he would order more out of spite, and not because he even need it for himself, or for anyone he know.

Get a smartwatch =) You can get a Pebble or Pebble Time for cheap now.
This.
I bought a Pebble Steal about 6 months ago for $50 bucks. Since then I managed to get every price error on Amazon even though I'm working from home and am taking care of my 11 months old daughter.

Same with the Snes pre-orders.

JayBabay

Dude lmfao, I do feel for the guy but man some people really get way too anxious with these things, if he literally waited another day or maybe listened to many, many others who showed convos from CS reps giving them the same answers, everything would have been fine.

Chauzu

Reading this thread makes me happy I happened to be around when Amazon UK preorders opened. Got one that will go to my mom for christmas present. She never really enjoyed gaming when it moved to 3D, and she got me into gaming in the first place with the SNES. I think it'll be a nice change from just buying boring stuff like decorations or such...

I slid into the Best Buy pre-order in the nick of time and I'm holding on to my one SNESC for dear life hoping the order sticks/survives. I would love a couple more for my sisters who both grew up with the SNES as I did, but I've missed Target, GameStop, and Walmart at this point so I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly I don't think Nintendo learned anything from the NESC except that mini consoles print money.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
SNES Classic |OT| I got 6 for my friends GW, TJ, Benjamin, AJ, Abraham, and Grant
Or

|OT| All I wanted was a beautiful Super Famicon, all I got was cancelled preorders

No, seriously, where are the Super Famicon pre-orders going to open at play-asia or amazon.co.jp. 😥😥😥😥

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Or

|OT| All I wanted was a beautiful Super Famicon, all I got was cancelled preorders

No, seriously, where are the Super Famicon pre-orders going to open at play-asia or amazon.co.jp. ��������

I'm waiting too bro! (already have an American SNES mini pre-ordered, but the Super Famicom is a fantastic design and I must have it too).

I mean, they still sell original Famicom Minis brand new in stock.... they were never as rare/marked up as western NES minis.... so at the end of the day I'm not at all worried about getting a Super Famicom mini.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is Famicon a meme?

That's how you say it in Japanese. Their "N" sound can substitute for our M in a lot of situations. In their syllables, they could either say Famicon or Famicomu, so they go with Famicon. They also say "Conputer", basically, so it makes sense here.

I don't know why people write that in English though! ;P

Honestly I don't think Nintendo learned anything from the NESC except that mini consoles print money.

No, I doubt that is a lesson Nintendo learned, because if they actually wanted to print money they would make as much as the market cared to buy. The fact that they only make about 37 of them total to supply the entire planet suggests that they are not in the least bit interested in printing money with the classic mini consoles.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is Famicon a meme?
Would you rather Famikon?

That's how you say it in Japanese. Their "N" sound can substitute for our M in a lot of situations. In their syllables, they could either say Famicon or Famicomu, so they go with Famicon. They also say "Conputer", basically, so it makes sense here.

I did see that on play-asia, but they're $110. I don't really want an NES though. I personally think the Famikon ( 😋 ) Classic looks meh.

Pikma

Banned
So why doesn't Nintendo just make more? I doubt it's a matter of actively wanting to leave money on the table...

The systems are ridiculously simple in terms of components so that's not it, maybe the opportunity cost is rather high in terms of production?
Do we even know where these retro systems are produced?

I mean, the answer could be as simple as "it's artificial" or "they're just dumb" but it wouldn't hurt to know a more concrete answer, because it really is mindblowing how complicated it is for the consumer. It's so so soooo stupid that people have to either be ridiculously lucky, stay glued to your fucking phone 24/7 or pay $250 to some random ebay seller for one(!) damn unit.

Gartooth

So why doesn't Nintendo just make more? I doubt it's a matter of actively wanting to leave money on the table...

The systems are ridiculously simple in terms of components so that's not it, maybe the opportunity cost is rather high in terms of production?
Do we even know where these retro systems are produced?

I mean, the answer could be as simple as "it's artificial" or "they're just dumb" but it wouldn't hurt to know a more concrete answer, because it really is mindblowing how complicated it is for the consumer. It's so so soooo stupid that people have to either be ridiculously lucky, stay glued to your fucking phone 24/7 or pay $250 to some random ebay seller for one(!) damn unit.

I'm of the opinion that this is intentional and part of Nintendo's business strategy since we have seen it countless times with console launches, special editions, amiibo, and the NES classic. Scarcity drives consumer demand for Nintendo products if people think they will be rare to find.

mdsfx

Everyone's in a different position. I don't think there's a reason to insult anyone. I personally have no time during the work day for stuff like this and my 3 kids and other activities are my priority. If I get one it'll be largely due to lucky timing of preorders.

I'm not going to get pissed at the college student with time on their hands or an inactive job because they were able to snag one.

mrchad

I'm of the opinion that this is intentional and part of Nintendo's business strategy since we have seen it countless times with console launches, special editions, amiibo, and the NES classic. Scarcity drives consumer demand for Nintendo products if people think they will be rare to find.

It's absolutely part of the strategy for the classic consoles, special editions and amiibos. Drum up hype and discussion, get people talking about the brand ( especially those who wouldn't otherwise). Just think of the SNES classic being featured on morning news shows as the "hot holiday gift." The FiveThirtyEight article on Nike that was referenced earlier in this thread explains the strategy better than I could.

I don't think Switch scarcity is the same strategy. It's in Nintendo's best interest to meet demand there; more Switch owners means more software sales long-term. I feel like Switch stock has more to do with conservative early estimates and supply line constraints.

It is because when n is followed by b or p, its sound is get affected and sounds like m. See words like せんぱい (sempai) and the aforementioned コンプーター (kompuutaa). When the word is abbreviated into パスコン (pasucon) or PC, it goes back to n.

jgwhiteus

I'll admit it - I placed a preorder yesterday even though I already have previous preorders (including at Walmart). Besides legitimately wanting multiple consoles for myself (I have 2 NES classics, one I play at home and the other I bring along for travel - it's very convenient to bring to hotels or to friends' houses), I also have friends who asked me to get them one if I were able, since they knew I was willing to play the preorder game and spam F5 with the NES classic, and they wouldn't know where to start in terms of getting notifications.

That being said - I don't feel secure about any of my preorders yet just based on past history, so if another preorder came up I might be tempted to try again. I got one in at Amazon... but everyone questions the legitimacy of that listing, and hey Amazon just sent an email yesterday to everyone announcing the delivery date was now undefined. That's not comforting. I got in orders both times at Walmart - the retailer that famously canceled their preorders last month (and even with yesterday's people are questioning whether it was an "error" because the preorder page was different and some orders are being canceled). And so on.

So it's not like the people who have already placed online preorders, even multiple ones, feel secure they're actually going to get anything when the 29th rolls around, which may contribute to a sense of needing to get in multiple preorders just to secure at least one.

It's absolutely part of the strategy for the classic consoles, special editions and amiibos. Drum up hype and discussion, get people talking about the brand ( especially those who wouldn't otherwise). Just think of the SNES classic being featured on morning news shows as the "hot holiday gift." The FiveThirtyEight article on Nike that was referenced earlier in this thread explains the strategy better than I could.

I don't think Switch scarcity is the same strategy. It's in Nintendo's best interest to meet demand there; more Switch owners means more software sales long-term. I feel like Switch stock has more to do with conservative early estimates and supply line constraints.

Nailed it.

JJH

I'm giving up hope of getting a SNES through an online retailer. I might have to do something I've never done before and camp outside a bm store to get a 27 year old console... How early should I get there?

Gartooth

Yeah I can see that the Switch might just be Nintendo not meeting demand, since they are really depending on that console succeeding.Its hard not to look at it that way though when they seemingly run out of stock of all of their products except for game software.

KellyNole

This is the truth. They talked about it in the book Game Over during the nes days. Nintendo didn't want to put as many units out into the wild as other companies did for several reasons, they wanted to keep their manufacturing costs down and make sure they sold what they made, they wanted to control the demand, and they believed scarcity created more hype. Seems they still stick to this method.

Top Bottom