• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Gartooth

I'm giving up hope of getting a SNES through an online retailer. I might have to do something I've never done before and camp outside a bm store to get a 27 year old console... How early should I get there?

Speaking personally, If I have to wait in line I would try to go to a 24 hour store since they would be giving them out at midnight rather than morning, and because its indoors probably near an electronics department. Also calling ahead to get an idea of the demand would help.

Unlike regular launches, people are probably going to be super desperate since its only sold this year. I would think of checking the line halfway through the day then arriving at least 6 hours before release.

Speaking personally, If I have to wait in line I would try to go to a 24 hour store since they would be giving them out at midnight rather than morning, and because its indoors probably near an electronics department. Also calling ahead to get an idea of the demand would help.

Unlike regular launches, people are probably going to be super desperate since its only sold this year. I would think of checking the line halfway through the day then arriving at least 6 hours before release.

And this is why I follow Wario. Thanks Wario!

when is the next round for amazon.com?
Why do you think anyone here knows? Nobody knew when the previous rounds for any of the retailers (incl amz) was going to be before it happened. Same holds true for any and all next rounds.

They don't want to give any advantage to the bots, especially Amazon seems to want to avoid any distruption of their store from a bot swarm, so if they have another round it will likely be like the previous one: new page popping up suddenly without warning and disappearing shortly after. Hopefully next time they won't forget to turn on the 1-per-customer limit checkbox before going live.

FTF

when is the next round for amazon.com?

giphy.gif

Why do you think anyone here knows? Nobody knew when the previous rounds for any of the retailers (incl amz) was going to be before it happened. Same holds true for any and all next rounds.

They don't want to give any advantage to the bots, especially Amazon seems to want to avoid any distruption of their store from a bot swarm, so if they have another round it will likely be like the previous one: new page popping up suddenly without warning and disappearing shortly after. Hopefully next time they won't forget to turn on the 1-per-customer limit checkbox before going live.

oh well, i just hope i aint driving like last time lol

Sooooooooo...

There was no limit on those Walmart orders. Up to 100 per order was allowed. Chances these go through and don't all end up being canceled? It was up for a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

JDdelphin

Pro note to Walmart preorders: Their shipping date estimates are always inconsistent. It's usually best to talk to a CS rep once the order is official. Every 'release date' delivery i've had from them says a week late.

When is the order 'official'?
Mine's been in 'processing' status since I put it in

Sooooooooo...

There was no limit on those Walmart orders. Up to 100 per order was allowed. Chances these go through and don't all end up being canceled? It was up for a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

I can't believe these mega-giant corporation retailers keep fucking up something as simple as that, over and over again.

This whole thing feels like I'm living in a troll universe timeline.

LosDaddie

Banned
Round 2 Morning #1 Check In: Walmart preorders are still active. Let's hope 🤞🏽

....and I don't feel guilty about my 2 SNES preorders, especially not after Walmart screwed me back in July. One for me and one for my bro (Christmas present).

But scalping is part of every console launch. It's on the manufacturer to pump out enough units to counter the scalpers.

I like how our expectations have been lowered so much that ~10 minutes of preorders (or whatever it was today) is considered "too long."

The previous preorder round from Walmart probably only lasted around 10 seconds or so because several people were expecting them to go up and they (and the bots) were ready to hammer the preorder page at 1 PM sharp. This time the announcement was apparently a surprise, using a different URL for the page, so there were no bots ready, which might explain why it lasted 10 minutes rather than 10 seconds - similar to the first round of Best Buy and Amazon preorders in the middle of the night lasting about 20 minutes.

Is that how long the Amazon and BB preorders lasted earlier this week? I was asleep and missed it. 😪

Makes me a bit more hopeful with my Walmart preorder....

How long are we talking about? I'm was working so I'm not in the know of all this.

At least 6 minutes or so, which compared to earlier this week is a lifetime. I was just lucky to get the tweet notification from Wario on my Apple Watch having just sat down at a restaurant and was waiting for friends.

Afrocious

Yeah, I got a cart of 2 SNES Classics from Walmart.com by accident and it went through. Got a conformation and still hasn't been cancelled yet.

I'm debating if I want to hit up customer service to see if I can have the funds taken out of my paypal account instead of using my CC. I'm afraid they'll cancel the orders if I do :(.

Well that's what I did for the Switch launch. I expect waiting in line for this to be much worse!

Oh I know. I did it for the NES classic and I'm just not one for having to arrive early and sit in a parking lot for 4 hours or more. Never again... unless I can't avoid it. In which case Wario helps avoid that.

I can't believe these mega-giant corporation retailers keep fucking up something as simple as that, over and over again.

This whole thing feels like I'm living in a troll universe timeline.

What's completely crazy is that Walmart f'd up on the same day (hours later even) after Amazon started fixing up that very mistake they made.

DomLando

So are the Walmart orders getting canceled? I've seen a few people post theirs was canceled but it's odd to me they are canceling some here and there.

So are the Walmart orders getting canceled? I've seen a few people post theirs was canceled but it's odd to me they are canceling some here and there.

A select few are, while the majority of people who got one still have their preorders intact. If it were a fake listing, we'd likely know by now due to a large amount getting their orders cancelled.

jgwhiteus

I think the ones from yesterday that are getting canceled had issues with their payment method; mine hasn't been canceled (status is "preparing order") and I haven't heard anything about them being canceled en masse.

Fox Mulder

I'm giving up hope of getting a SNES through an online retailer. I might have to do something I've never done before and camp outside a bm store to get a 27 year old console... How early should I get there?

Just pay a scalper at that point. I'm never going to camp outside a store for anything.

Everyone's in a different position. I don't think there's a reason to insult anyone. I personally have no time during the work day for stuff like this and my 3 kids and other activities are my priority. If I get one it'll be largely due to lucky timing of preorders.

I'm not going to get pissed at the college student with time on their hands or an inactive job because they were able to snag one.

That's one reason I like my job. I can just "go to the restroom"

DeathPeak

Amazon starting to make me sweat:

"We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience. You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic. We are working hard to ensure you get this item as soon as it is in stock. You can track the status of, or make any changes to, your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com."

Klownicle

Neo Member
Ordered last night at Walmart. My 10/5 got cancelled, my 10/3 is still good. Contacted support by phone, first got a non-english speaking rep who said they would check with billing. Got connected to an escalations department where I chatted up for 20minutes about gaming with an English speaking fellow nerd. I got a email stating I had a payment issue and it was cancelled. He checked with billing and they confirmed payment was OK. But said it was likely due to overselling but he couldn't be absolutely sure as he wasn't aware of another pre order going up. Basically too bad so sad. So be on the watch! Not out of the woods yet! This was a completely different account, email, credit card and billing address for the order than the first order.

Peagles

Ordered last night at Walmart. My 10/5 got cancelled, my 10/3 is still good. Contacted support by phone, first got a non-english speaking rep who said they would check with billing. Got connected to an escalations department where I chatted up for 20minutes about gaming with an English speaking fellow nerd. I got a email stating I had a payment issue and it was cancelled. He checked with billing and they confirmed payment was OK. But said it was likely due to overselling but he couldn't be absolutely sure as he wasn't aware of another pre order going up. Basically too bad so sad. So be on the watch! Not out of the woods yet! This was a completely different account, email, credit card and billing address for the order than the first order.

I honestly think they just lie with the payment issue excuse. They didn't have a problem with my payment for any other order (including stuff I ordered quite recently) using the same card and address EXCEPT for the Gold Mario Amiibo, so I'm guessing it's some BS they do to cancel orders when they oversell.

I also spoke to my bank before I got cancelled and they confirmed there were no issues, so someone is lying, and I doubt it's my bank.

I ordered relatively early too, fwiw.

When it was known that TRU was getting the classic NES the first week of December, I showed up at 9:45 pm and was #13 in line. Now this was closer to Christmas.

The only issue about in store is they won't tell you how many they have. You could be waiting in line for hours #8 in line and find out they only had 5. last year Walmart was notorious for having small stock on hand and advertising that they would have the NES. 99.9% of people that waited for hours walked away empty handed

Klownicle

Neo Member
The only issue about in store is they won't tell you how many they have. You could be waiting in line for hours #8 in line and find out they only had 5. last year Walmart was notorious for having small stock on hand and advertising that they would have the NES. 99.9% of people that waited for hours walked away empty handed

The NES Classic was 6 per container. So your at least guaranteed 6 in that case pending employee picking. I wager it'll be similar. So top 5 your golden, heh.

Peagles

A couple were cancelled due to issues with their credit cards

*Overselling

My card was successfully charged with no issues, but they cancelled a few hours later anyway.

They also did the same when they oversold Gold Mario.

Any other regular order I've made in the last few years with the same card has gone through without issues.

Take from that what you will.

Klownicle

Neo Member
*Overselling

My card was successfully charged with no issues, but they cancelled a few hours later anyway.

They also did the same when they oversold Gold Mario.

Any other regular order I've made in the last few years with the same card has gone through without issues.

Take from that what you will.

That's what happened in my case, order was charged properly as I saw the charge. It's overselling or limit one cancelling. My friend has a 10/10 order and it hasn't been cancelled yet.

I am curious about the average scalping price for this. The NES seemed to average $240.

The SNES WILL be north of $300, but I'm wondering are people going to give into those charging $700+ on Ebay right now. How much would it be worth without Star Fox 2.

Afrocious

I am curious about the average scalping price for this. The NES seemed to average $240.

The SNES WILL be north of $300, but I'm wondering are people going to give into those charging $700+ on Ebay right now. How much would it be worth without Star Fox 2.

Curious. How do you figure $300+? I'm checking out the sold listings right now. Some do sell for over 300 but I don't think that's guaranteed.

I don't even want one of these but the frenzy is kind of making me want one.

All according to Nintendo.........

rackham

Banned
Not rubbing it in anyone's face here. I feel for you. Still can't believe I got one when I went into GameStop after hearing they had preorders in store.

My older sister was disappointed. She knew nothing about it but then I showed her the trailer on YouTube. She said she'd be fine if I let her play mine. This is fucking childhood days all over again. Gonna have to spar with this girl

Not rubbing it in anyone's face here. I feel for you. Still can't believe I got one when I went into GameStop after hearing they had preorders in store.

My older sister was disappointed. She knew nothing about it but then I showed her the trailer on YouTube. She said she'd be fine if I let her play mine. This is fucking childhood days all over again. Gonna have to spar with this girl

Bring on more Jaime/Cersei gifs!

Zen Aku

It's not going to be $300

Top Bottom