• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Saganator

if the package comes via USPS if you move you can have mail forwarded or you can set up an account and have the package re-directed to be held at the post office.

If it comes via UPS you can set up an account and re-direct the package to be held at a UPS store.

If it comes via FedEx you can set up an account and re-direct it to a FedEx store.

The only thing is that you need to create the account before the item ships, and then take a trip to go pick it up, you may even be able to redirect to your new location but you'll probably have to pay for that.

Thanks for this. I typed in the wrong shipping address on my WalMart order and I've heard you can't get it changed.

Afrocious

Negative press = free press for them. People read about how hard it is to get a NES/SNES and how its reselling for 3-5x as much as they pay for it; then only more and more people are going to try and get their hands on it. That's a win in Nintendo's book.

Will there be a larger supply? Maybe. Regardless, it'll still all likely sell out within minutes of becoming available even with more units available.

That's valid. I'll admit it's easier for someone who has at least preorder to have optimism.

However, I feel Nintendo hears all the complaints from this. I'm willing to think it'll be easier to grab a SNES Classic over a NES Classic at the same time last year.

That's valid. I'll admit it's easier for someone who has at least preorder to have optimism.

However, I feel Nintendo hears all the complaints from this. I'm willing to think it'll be easier to grab a SNES Classic over a NES Classic at the same time last year.

They heard the complaints, and reacted by confirming basically that the SNES Mini will be a limited release. Which exasperates the situation further, because people are now aware of how Nintendo produce these things in contrast to the NES mini, which we didn't foresee would 1) have stock issues throughout its existence and 2) Nintendo would just decide the pull the plug one day and be like 'oh, this was only intended to be a limited thing.' The NES mini evolved into a scalper's market over time as its supply issues became more apparent, whereas scalpers are getting the jump on the SNES version armed with the knowledge that this is a limited time item. That will counteract Nintendo's plan to increase supply with vague 'we're going to have more this time' statements. How many is that? 5 million? 10 million? Scalpers will thrive on the unknown dynamic as to how many will be produced, and whether or not Nintendo decides to continue production in 2018 or cut it off in 2017( and they are on record as saying they won't commit beyond 2017, so take from that what you will). Even if Nintendo produced them a few months in 2018, it's going to retain a higher than MSRP value in the long run. What do you think the value will be Christmas 2018 if a smart scalper decides to play the patience game and hold onto their units for a while? They'll be the only game in town, because Nintendo would have moved on to the next limited release Mini on the agenda.

TLDR version: it's going to be harder to get the SNES mini in spite of 'increased stock'.

People complain about almost everything Nintendo does outside of the actual quality of their games. How often do they respond or care?

Why would it be easier to get the SNES, when last year nobody knew the NES Classic was a limited run? Now that it's established that it will be limited, scalpers will be sure to grab up everything they can. Even in this very thread you have gaffers bragging about ordering insane numbers of units.

LordofPwn

Thanks for this. I typed in the wrong shipping address on my WalMart order and I've heard you can't get it changed.
This might be trickier. You'll need to list that wrong address as your primary address with the couriers but i think it needs to be an actual address.

theJwac

I was fortunate last Tuesday and was up when the amazon listing went live. I ordered 5, with the intention of 1 for myself and the rest for family. No scalping... Amazon contacted me this weekend via e-mail and stated that I would only receive 1 unit. I'm bummed out but I totally understand why they did this. Frankly, I was surprised when I was able to purchase more than 1. I hate these scalpers so much and it amazes me how the big N allows this problem to persist. Best of luck to everyone...

MRORANGE

I was fortunate last Tuesday and was up when the amazon listing went live. I ordered 5, with the intention of 1 for myself and the rest for family. No scalping... Amazon contacted me this weekend via e-mail and stated that I would only receive 1 unit. I'm bummed out but I totally understand why they did this. Frankly, I was surprised when I was able to purchase more than 1. I hate these scalpers so much and it amazes me how the big N allows this problem to persist. Best of luck to everyone...

Supply is a Nintendo problem
Scalping is a retail problem.

RCU005

I don't know what to do! I have a WalMart preorder, but I am not sure if I want to cancel or keep it!

I know I want it for the fact that it is a nostalgia item, it has StarFox 2, and it's a mini version of the SNES. However, I somehow know that either I will not even open it for collector's value, or maybe I wouldn't even play it!.

I would find it more likely to play it, if I had a monitor with HDMI IN in my office, since it could be a good time-waster while lunch time, or something like that.

I have a huge backlog of PS4 and there's Mario Odyssey coming out, so I really don't know what to do!

Also, where I live, it will probably cost about $150 dollars or more, so I could actually sell it here and make a (huge) profit, but I know that if I get it in my hands, I will never want to sell it!

I am just afraid that I won't want to play all the games, or that I waste it. When I wasn't able to buy a NES Classic, I knew it wasn't a loss for me, because I honestly don't like NES games anymore (even though I enjoyed them a lot at that time). I do know I want to play some of the games in it, like Super Mario RPG that I was never able to finish, or StarFox 2. Decisions! decisions! I never imagined I would be torn about this! But it comes out at a very hard time for me financially, since I have to pay so many things right now (my reason for the PS4 backlog), and my Gf's birthday is also coming up at the end of September! I am sad :(

With that said, a N64 Classic edition or a Gamecube Classic Edition? I would buy those without hesitation! (And I really, really hope they come out eventually).

ViciousDS

Banned
got an email from Walmart

panicked

and it was actually an update on the shipping date.....which is now September 29th

so it seems like those Walmart pre-orders might hold folks

panicked

and it was actually an update on the shipping date.....which is now September 29th

Walmart sent an email bumping up everyone's orders to September 29th just before they cancelled them all last time. Just sayin' that it means very little.

MercuryLS3

My parents are retired and I'm getting them to go to stores early on the 29th to see if they can secure another one.

I'm fortunate that I have one pre-ordered at eb games for launch.

Will walmarts that are open 24h be selling these at midnight?

MisterHero

The one absolute positive about this release is that everyone gets two controllers.

Even with a limited release of a few million, that's a lot of plastic. Especially since they have authentic build quality.

hah i warned y'all about Walmart.

Man, they are still the worst with shipping dates. Probably not even the end of it. I'd expect them to change the shipping stuff again at some point.

GeoramA

panicked

Got the same e-mail.

But I'm not celebrating until I have this damn thing in my hands, lol.

No they didnt

From this very thread, a very small sampling:

So hours ago they send me a cancellation email(By the way my order is still processing) now they send me this email:

We wanted to let your know that your preorder item release date has changed. The updated release date is 09/29/2017.
Please review your order details below.
We're sorry if this date change is an inconvenience. The product manufacturer controls the release date for this product and we'll ship it to you as quickly as we can once it's released.
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center. Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is unmonitored.
-Your Walmart Customer Care Team

LOL so whats the point if they are canceling it anyway

i didnt get a cancellation email from walmart but got:

Status update!
Your preorder date has changed.
Hello frank,
We wanted to let your know that your preorder item release date has changed. The updated release date is 09/29/2017.
Please review your order details below.

am i good or should i expect a cancellation email soon?

I just got an email update for my SNES mini pre-order from Walmart saying that my new release date is set for Sep 29 - it was previously Oct 6.

Edit: nevermind? I have a cancellation email in my promotions box. This is a rollercoaster of emotion :|

Edit 2: The walmart site shows the pre-order is still active, and shows the updated shipping date.

Lol same thing happen to me. The dream is somewhat alive.

LosDaddie

Banned
No they didnt

A few did get the email. Most did not. But in the end, we all had our preorders cancelled.

This won't be over until the SNESs ship, obviously. But as history has shown, we should expect cancellation emails to go out this week from Walmart.

brutes

Neo Member
My Walmart orders are still good even though I have multiple.
Strange. I'm assuming they'll cancel eventually though as my order for 2 switches got cancelled a few weeks ago.

Synless

I just want to say that Walmart is a bunch of fucking cunts for not allowing address changes for a product not shipping for weeks yet.

bumpkin

I'm cautiously optimistic that I will be able to wait in line before TRU opens and get one. When the Switch launched, I showed up to my local Best Buy about 90 minutes before midnight and was like 10th or 11th in line and got one. I figure if I get there 2-3 hours before TRU opens, I might be okay.

I'm just glad it's September and not March. The wait for the Switch was brutal. I couldn't feel my feet or hands by the time midnight rolled around.

B.K.

I keep missing preorder windows. I just hope I can find one in store or someone on GAF will sell one for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom