• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Jarnet87

Toys R Us won't tell you how many they get.

I got a classic nes last year at the end of November I got there at 9:30pm and was #13 in line. Eventually found out they had 20 units, but not from any of those working, one of the employees had a day off and saw his friend and told him,I just happened to over hear it.

Anyone that showed up at 1am was fucked and waited for 7 hours for nothing. Walmart was worse,had hundreds of people lined up for several units

Yep my plan is to just go by a Target 30-60 minutes before opening and if the line isnt bad wait and see if I get lucky, if its bad oh well try again another weekend. not gonna miss work for this shit by camping out. I would hope that this thing has at least Switch stock numbers at launch, think I can get one if thats the case.

tenor.gif

All according to plan....

neonglow

All my orders look okay. I currently have an Amazon and Best Buy order for the US version and an Amazon UK order for the EU version.

Josh5890

Yeah I saw the SNES classic there, surrounded by tons of people at the Nintendo booth. (I really hope my walmart order doesnt fall through...)

Funny thing is that in the console freeplay area, someone has a NES classic up there, and its like zip-tied to the table with like 10+ ties or more.
Yea. I was at Pax South in January and there was practically an armed guard next to one of them in the freeplay 24/7

Yep my plan is to just go by a Target 30-60 minutes before opening and if the line isnt bad wait and see if I get lucky, if its bad oh well try again another weekend. not gonna miss work for this shit by camping out. I would hope that this thing has at least Switch stock numbers at launch, think I can get one if thats the case.

I understand not wanting to waste a lot of time, but unless SNES numbers are much higher than the NES, I don’t think 30-60 minutes before opening will give you much of a chance.

I live in a small town so granted, stock is probably much less than in some places. However, the demand was likely less in my area as well. Before NESmania was at its height, I went to a Target about 30 minutes away in a larger town and arrived about 2 hours early and was able to grab one for myself. As the scarcity became obvious and demand increased, I went to the Target in my town but still had to get there about 3 hours early to get one for my brother, and I was still 5th in line. It also took me a couple tries at that store to get one because I was in competition with scalpers that were showing up each day with their spouses in order to get an extra unit.

Jetku

Depends on the population of your town. If you aren’t in a real dense residential area, you might have a shot.

Just be careful with Gamestop - they'll likely have VERY few units for non preorders, based on history.

If I had to hunt, I'd go to Walmart at 10:30 the night before for the midnight launch, then hit toys r us at 5am.

Depends on the population of your town. If you aren’t in a real dense residential area, you might have a shot.

The shopping center has a target and gamestop right next to eachother, so something tells me the lines are going to be split, i dont know if i want to wait 12
Hours, 5 hours is the most id be willing to wait

The shopping center has a target and gamestop right next to eachother, so something tells me the lines are going to be split, i dont know if i want to wait 12
Hours, 5 hours is the most id be willing to wait

Depending on your GameStop, they might tell you how many units they are allocated for walk-ins so you know whether or not you are wasting your time. When I went to preorder my SNES they told me that they were getting 9 for their initial preorder allocation.

sure, but pi emulation has it's own issues, you would have to 3D print a snes case, buy ebay usb snes controllers which are non official and are not the best in quality, there's plenty of good reason to want an OFFICIAL snes mini.

So can I use the switch dock to power this thing or should I look for some adapter?

If a basic TV usb port can power the nes mini, raspberry pi units and amazon fire tv sticks I would think nearly every other usb port in your home can do it too.

sure, but pi emulation has it's own issues, you would have to 3D print a snes case, buy ebay usb snes controllers which are non official and are not the best in quality, there's plenty of good reason to want an OFFICIAL snes mini.

I have a Raspberry Pi unit already, plus I own every game on the SNES Mini on cartridge (except Star Fox 2, obviously), and I still want one. So...no.

Also, "grow up"? What behavior is that even referencing? Are people throwing tantrums? I largely see legitimate criticism directed at Nintendo, who out of all companies refuses to embrace industry norms.

And "it's a toy"? Yes, it is: a toy directed specifically at adults of an age to have nostalgia for the original toy. And I predict that, come launch day, 99.9% of customers still looking for one will line up in orderly fashion to purchase this product, like adults.

zbarron

I like how being on a video game podcast, recording from a room lined with video games and video game posters, doesn't keep him from getting on that high horse.

I don't know. I took what he said more to mean that stressing over this is silly when there are cheaper alternatives to play these games today. He didn't say it was immature to want to play the games, he just suggested doing so on a Raspberry Pi instead.

I have my Amazon.co.uk order that I hope doesn't get cancelled, but if it does it won't be the end of the world. I may actually make a raspberry pi with the money. I'd prefer the retail unit more because the console is cute as hell.

Top Bottom