• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

C.Mongler

You'd think right? But sadly it's not the case. The nes one at least has major dpad issues that result in unintended directional input (e.g. down often registers as down-left or down-right). It makes games like Contra very frustrating. The original controllers do not have this problem.

I have five 8bitdo controllers (2 SFC, 1 SNES, 1 FC, and 1 NES30 Pro), and only the NES30 Pro has this issue. I wouldn't say it's an across the board, guaranteed issue. From what I've seen and experienced personally, earlier models of the standard controllers can often have it but it's been (mostly) phased out with the more recent production batches. The Pro line still seems to be a shot in the dark though. That said, I'm sure they'd take a return/replacement if you're having issues. I'm hoping the new SNES30 Pro nips it in the bud when that launches.

Price out two of them. That’s almost a SNES mini.

If you're frugal, I wouldn't purchase them directly on Amazon; it's super pricey that way. You can get non-pro models on ebay, brand new for usually about 28-30 bucks. If you are even more frugal and patient, you can purchase them direct from China on Aliexpress for about 25 bucks each. I've even occasionally seen sellers with two packs for about 45. They aren't the cheapest, sure, but IMO they're worth the price if you will actually use them; of the like 5 different brands of reproduction controllers I've tried 8bitdo's are by far the best.

entremet

I have five 8bitdo controllers (2 SFC, 1 SNES, 1 FC, and 1 NES30 Pro), and only the NES30 Pro has this issue. I wouldn't say it's an across the board, guaranteed issue. From what I've seen and experienced personally, earlier models of the standard controllers can often have it but it's been (mostly) phased out with the more recent production batches. The Pro line still seems to be a shot in the dark though. That said, I'm sure they'd take a return/replacement if you're having issues. I'm hoping the new SNES30 Pro nips it in the bud when that launches.

If you're frugal, I wouldn't purchase them directly on Amazon; it's super pricey that way. You can get non-pro models on ebay, brand new for usually about 28-30 bucks. If you are even more frugal and patient, you can purchase them direct from China on Aliexpress for about 25 bucks each. I've even occasionally seen sellers with two packs for about 45. They aren't the cheapest, sure, but IMO they're worth the price if you will actually use them; of the like 5 different brands of reproduction controllers I've tried 8bitdo's are by far the best.

Oh, I like 8bitdo, but they're not cheap.

This retails for $200 here and that is just fucking crazy.. (sweden, No surprise there since HW prices are insane here these days)

But, it's still overbooked.

Other examples:

Switch MSRP: $450

PS4 Pro MSRP: $540

PS4 slim MSRP: $375

Xbone S MSRP: $299

Xbone X MSRP : $675

That's like resale prices at retail, yikes

Came to post this. Ships internationally too! Limit 1 per account.

It might say on the page that it doesn't ship to your country, but it might let you compelete the order if you try.

Hahah, holy crap. I put in an order. This is crazy. I wanna know if I actually get it. The price came to 122 USD.

Thanks. I just ordered one through Amazon France with no problem. I live in GA, USA, but now checking the page, I see "Ce vendeur ne peut pas expédier l'article sélectionné aux États-Unis." Does this mean a third-party seller cannot? Like I said, my order went through with no problem.

It's a common bug in Amazon's system, I've had pages say a product can't be shipped to my country but as long as you can checkout and place the order, it should ship to you without a problem from my experience. If it says Sold by Amazon on your order you're good.

I first placed an order having it shipped to my country, but quickly realized Amazon France is charging pretty high shipping charges (and import deposit fee) than normal, so I changed the shipping address to a forwarding address I have in France, I think that would come out cheaper for me. Usually it's the other way around (AmazonGlobal shipping is usually significantly cheaper for me, but this case was different)

Edit: Sold out! Lasted around 18 minutes I think.

Thanks, got one. $122 shipped total though, yikes, but I'll take it since its the superior model.

Did it include any "import deposit fee"/advance payment on your order? If it did but your country doesn't charge customs tax when it arrives then Amazon will refund you the deposit fee.

Vercimber

It's a common bug in Amazon's system, I've had pages say a product can't be shipped to my country but as long as you can checkout and place the order, it should ship to you without a problem from my experience. If it says Sold by Amazon on your order you're good.

I first placed an order having it shipped to my country, but quickly realized Amazon France is charging pretty high shipping charges (and import deposit fee) than normal, so I changed the shipping address to a forwarding address I have in France, I think that would come out cheaper for me. Usually it's the other way around (AmazonGlobal shipping is usually significantly cheaper for me, but this case was different)

Edit: Sold out! Lasted around 18 minutes I think.

Thank you.

taizuke

I'm forced to check out my nearest Toys' R Us on launch since Amazon cancelled my order (i'm in PR).

When's the release date?

evil ways

Did it include any "import deposit fee"/advance payment on your order? If it did but your country doesn't charge customs tax when it arrives then Amazon will refund you the deposit fee.

Nope, just this:

Sous-total des articles : EUR 79,16
Frais d'envoi : EUR 20,00

Montant total de la commande : EUR 99,16
USD 122.63*
Moyen de paiement sélectionné : Visa

Nope, just this:

Sous-total des articles : EUR 79,16
Frais d'envoi : EUR 20,00

Montant total de la commande : EUR 99,16
USD 122.63*
Moyen de paiement sélectionné : Visa

That's not bad. They were gonna charge me EUR 46 for shipping and EUR 61 import deposit fee (total EUR 186), that's why I changed it to ship to a forwarding address in France instead.

I need to check if that Amazon.co.uk order I placed way back when this shitshow started is still valid. Here's hoping.
I've been checking on mine periodically. No developments that would suggest any peril so far. I'd rather have the US version, but considering I'm in the minority on that one, I suspect I can find a trade if it comes to it.

But then when they receive both, well, then they are only doing someone who really wants it a service by selling the second to them at a massive profit, IMEANAMIRIGHT?

Nah, but seriously, Id probably have done the same if I was awake in the middle of the night when they unlocked the orders.

I got 2 Switches at launch. Sold the 2nd to a stanger on Craigslist for $12 more than I paid. I thought that was a fair price for my time. If I happen to end up with 2 SNES Classics (which seems unlikely since I have just 1 pre-order, but I'll get another if I can), I may do that again, or I may try to get more for it. Would you blame me? This situation is entirely Nintendo's doing.

I was looking over at amazon.ca and wow...

X7Dpyz3.png

Thanks, Nintendo!

But then when they receive both, well, then they are only doing someone who really wants it a service by selling the second to them at a massive profit, IMEANAMIRIGHT?

Nah, but seriously, Id probably have done the same if I was awake in the middle of the night when they unlocked the orders.

If I happen to get both, I'm going to keep both. I hate how this shit show has got people almost feeling the need to be apologetic or on the defense ("no im not a scalper it's for my family member I SWEAR!") because they happened to get a preorder or two. If you don't get one, blame Nintendo's incompetence, not another consumer.

tesqui

SNES Classic "Preorders" on Ebay seem to have gone down a bit. They were going for $250-$300 a couple weeks ago, now there down to around $200 and even lower.

SNES Classic "Preorders" on Ebay seem to have gone down a bit. They were going for $250-$300 a couple weeks ago, now there down to around $200 and even lower.

Prices are always highest right after a pre-order sells out, I've noticed this trend with many products. That's why many people break eBay's policy and list theirs early to ride that initial hype wave on the back of whales.

They could climb back up after launch if it's continues to be hard to get.

bumpkin

I got 2 Switches at launch. Sold the 2nd to a stanger on Craigslist for $12 more than I paid. I thought that was a fair price for my time. If I happen to end up with 2 SNES Classics (which seems unlikely since I have just 1 pre-order, but I'll get another if I can), I may do that again, or I may try to get more for it. Would you blame me? This situation is entirely Nintendo's doing.
I ended up with two Switches by complete chance, I'm holding onto the second to give to my nephews and niece for Christmas. I wasn't able to get a single SNES preorder though, so I'm at the mercy of lining up at TRU on launch day and hoping I get one. Really sucks.

On the bright side, at least it's September and not like January. I nearly froze my ass off waiting in line for some amiibo once.

I have a Raspberry Pi unit already, plus I own every game on the SNES Mini on cartridge (except Star Fox 2, obviously), and I still want one. So...no.

Also, "grow up"? What behavior is that even referencing? Are people throwing tantrums? I largely see legitimate criticism directed at Nintendo, who out of all companies refuses to embrace industry norms.

And "it's a toy"? Yes, it is: a toy directed specifically at adults of an age to have nostalgia for the original toy. And I predict that, come launch day, 99.9% of customers still looking for one will line up in orderly fashion to purchase this product, like adults.

Some guy telling other people to grow up while he sits in a room of games and has a double dragon 2 poster on his wall has lost the fucking plot.

Credo

Target has "put a charge or hold" on my card three times since August 22, and I just ordered one. I don't really know what they're doing and if I should be worried or not, but they haven't cancelled it yet. They just keep holding/charging the same thing.

Juraash

Target has "put a charge or hold" on my card three times since August 22, and I just ordered one. I don't really know what they're doing and if I should be worried or not, but they haven't cancelled it yet. They just keep holding/charging the same thing.

We talked about this a little earlier on in the thread (not that I would expect people to something all these pages). The general consensus was that this is normal for some retailers and that Target would be doing this basically until launch of the system.

Seems like it's just how they're doing things and shouldn't immediately raise an alarm

Yeah this whole thing just soured me on the system. Like I don't have time to jump through hoops to spend my money. Lol...

This is kinda absurd, but if I find one in a store, I'll get it. If not, oh well. Really don't get Nintendo's strategy with these things.'

Weevilone

Yeah this whole thing just soured me on the system. Like I don't have time to jump through hoops to spend my money. Lol...

This is kinda absurd, but if I find one in a store, I'll get it. If not, oh well. Really don't get Nintendo's strategy with these things.'

That's the route I took with NES Classic and I never saw one. The whole thing is pretty dumb.

I did end up with a couple SNES preorders so far, so if anyone has a spare NIB NES Classic I would consider trading it.

Edit: Not looking to sell it.

That's pretty much the attitude I took with the NES. After a few failed attempts with the nowinstock websites. I was done with it.
It was either going to be online preorder or nothing for me when it came to the SNES. Thankfully I got lucky by being awake at 1am and browsing GAF.

The best we can hope for is that Nintendo has learned from the NES Classic and will actually produce a ton more units.

I saw this and said wow out loud. I don't think anybody is being a "baby" as he claims. Like chill out bro.
I think it's just the way his personality/schtick is. I used to watch their podcast quite a bit and Ian is almost always ranting on or complaining about other people. The other host (Pat) treats Ian's hot takes almost like comic relief. It can endearing if you're used to it :p

And that room is Pat's (not the guy ranting), for those who commented on it.

bumpkin

The best we can hope for is that Nintendo has learned from the NES Classic and will actually produce a ton more units.
If the preorder allocations are any indication, they've learned nothing.

There of course is a tiny chance they retailers are just being conservative with how many they allow preorders for, and they have a whole other allocation for walk-in customers in the weeks/months following release. Nintendo claimed they'd be producing at least twice as many of these as they did the NES Classic, so there's that. At least that's what I'm hoping.

If the preorder allocations are any indication, they've learned nothing.

There of course is a tiny chance they retailers are just being conservative with how many they allow preorders for, and they have a whole other allocation for walk-in customers in the weeks/months following release. Nintendo claimed they'd be producing at least twice as many of these as they did the NES Classic, so there's that. At least that's what I'm hoping.

But we had preorders this time and there's also an increase in demand, higher usage of scripts and notifications/alerts and we don't have numbers. Hard to say they learned nothing when we had preorders and quite likely a higher number available allocated for launch.

I didn't really care for the NES Classic. So I don't know how the SNES Classic situation compares.

But so far, this seems like a normal launch. There are preorders.

Nintendo claimed they'd be producing at least twice as many of these as they did the NES Classic

Where did you get that from? As far as I know all they said was that they will be making "significantly more" of it than the NES. That's so vague it can mean anything.

Where did you get that from? As far as I know all they said was that they will be making "significantly more" of it than the NES. That's so vague it can mean anything.

Even if they make twice what they did, hell triple the amount, it still will not satisfy demand. The installed base of the SNES was in the 40+ million. A significant amount of those people I'm sure will be willing to purchase a SNES classic. Not to mention there are other people who didn't play SNES, didn't grow up at the time, or were SEGA fans who are not interested in getting a SNES Classic as well.

So yeah this thing is going to be hard to find.

Yeah, and there's "significantly more" people wanting a SNES classic, both because its games are much more desirable and because people now expect shortages, so basically in the end we're still fucked.

chrono01

Even if they make twice what they did, hell triple the amount, it still will not satisfy demand. The installed base of the SNES was in the 40+ million. A significant amount of those people I'm sure will be willing to purchase a SNES classic. Not to mention there are other people who didn't play SNES, didn't grow up at the time, or were SEGA fans who are not interested in getting a SNES Classic as well.

So yeah this thing is going to be hard to find.
Pretty much.

Something of this nature SHOULD NOT have been a limited-time release. :/

Loaded Man

I'm so upset. My Target.com order is going to be cancelled. My bank sent me an email saying that my credit card number "may have been compromised due to fraudulent activity at merchant locations" so they're sending me a card with a new number before Sept 18. Ugh.

Top Bottom