• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

joms5

Lol @ at 35 year old virgin sitting in a room filled wall to wall with video game stuff filming his video game podcast telling people to grow up.

lol I was going to say the exact same thing.

People need to quit blaming each other and start blaming the company. And retailers to be fair.

One of my preorders is the EU edition, the other is NA.

For the EU one -- which doesn't come with a power adapter -- would a standard 5V 1A USB power adapter (e.g. for a cell phone) do the job?

JackDT

Is there any word on the emulation quality? I was disappointed in what I heard of the audio emulation from the NES classic.

Cynn

One of my preorders is the EU edition, the other is NA.

For the EU one -- which doesn't come with a power adapter -- would a standard 5V 1A USB power adapter (e.g. for a cell phone) do the job?
Yep. Or even the USB plug on most smart TVs.

entremet

sure, but pi emulation has it's own issues, you would have to 3D print a snes case, buy ebay usb snes controllers which are non official and are not the best in quality, there's plenty of good reason to want an OFFICIAL snes mini.

If a basic TV usb port can power the nes mini, raspberry pi units and amazon fire tv sticks I would think nearly every other usb port in your home can do it too.
Yep.

I’m sick of the Pi argument.

Packaging matters. Controllers. Getting the roms legally. Even the form factor and plug and play nature. These retro dudes can be so damn out of touch.

Not everyone wants to tinker with this stuff.

"Cheaper"

My fucking god....

What's funnier is they're both pretty against piracy. You ain't getting more than 2-3 of the 21 games on this thing (plus the cost of a Pi) for "cheaper" unless you pirate them all or already own them, which if you own them already, you're probably not very interested in this thing to begin with.

What's funnier is they're both pretty against piracy. You ain't getting more than 2-3 of the 21 games on this thing for "cheaper" unless you pirate them all or already own them, which if you own them already, you're probably not very interested in this thing to begin with.

These are the same guys who went on a rant against a YouTuber who made a video about how he restores his NES and Atari game labels. The guy even said he would never sell them after he reprinted the labels, it was just to make them look nicer. But Pat and Ian were like, "Well the problem is, what if he dies and they sell off his games!?" I was like wtf? Yet a Raspberry Pi with tons of roms dumped on it is fine. Okay.

Is there any word on the emulation quality? I was disappointed in what I heard of the audio emulation from the NES classic.
I think we'll have to wait until Digital Foundry/dark10x get their hands on one and thoroughly test it. No one else on the internet that I am aware of does this kind of work as thoroughly and as quickly as they do.

So not before sometime in October I'd say.

koss424

It seems everyone in this thread has multiple orders but it's Nintendo fault there not enough stock. It seems like fans are creating their own problems.

dhonk

These are the same guys who went on a rant against a YouTuber who made a video about how he restores his NES and Atari game labels. The guy even said he would never sell them after he reprinted the labels, it was just to make them look nicer. But Pat and Ian were like, "Well the problem is, what if he dies and they sell off his games!?" I was like wtf? Yet a Raspberry Pi with tons of roms dumped on it is fine. Okay.

they seem high on their own farts

shira

sure, but pi emulation has it's own issues, you would have to 3D print a snes case, buy ebay usb snes controllers which are non official and are not the best in quality, there's plenty of good reason to want an OFFICIAL snes mini.
They 8bitdo controllers are good enough.

Silvawuff

My second wave Walmart order is still holding strong, outside of the preorder date change to Oct 5th.

It's going to be a long month wait! Good luck to everyone expending time and effort to obtain one of these.

fester

Banned
What's funnier is they're both pretty against piracy. You ain't getting more than 2-3 of the 21 games on this thing (plus the cost of a Pi) for "cheaper" unless you pirate them all or already own them, which if you own them already, you're probably not very interested in this thing to begin with.

Not trying to be pedantic, but I own most of them already and I'm still really excited about getting a preorder i(finally). I also have a Pi that I love. But the way the SNES classic is packaged + ease of use + overall nostalgia is what is most appealing to me still.

It seems everyone in this thread has multiple orders but it's Nintendo fault there not enough stock. It seems like fans are creating their own problems.
Great, but backwards logic entirely. The reason for multiple orders amongst many of the people is that they have learned they cannot trust the pre-orders they already have in place -- so they're forced to implement a contingency plan in the (quite likely) event that the original order falls through.

Don't kid yourself. The demand/scalping issues are 100 percent Nintendo's fault. And it didn't start just with the SNES Classic; their decision to discontinue the NES Classic at what was arguably near the height of its demand set the stage for epic scalping plans for the successor -- a console most people consider to be even superior to that one.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Great, but backwards logic entirely. The reason for multiple orders amongst many of the people is that they have learned they cannot trust the pre-orders they already have in place -- so they're forced to implement a contingency plan in the (quite likely) event that the original order falls through.

Don't kid yourself. The demand/scalping issues are 100 percent Nintendo's fault. And it didn't start just with the SNES Classic; their decision to discontinue the NES Classic at what was arguably near the height of its demand set the stage for epic scalping plans for the successor -- a console most people consider to be even superior to that one.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeep to the bolded. The way I figure is that if I end up getting both my US order and my UK order, I'll give the US order to a family member who'd love it. But if one order drops off I'll still have one to hold onto.

The Llama

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeep to the bolded. The way I figure is that if I end up getting both my US order and my UK order, I'll give the US order to a family member who'd love it. But if one order drops off I'll still have one to hold onto.

Same. I have a Walmart order and an Amazon order. Will sell 1 to my friend if I miraculously happen to get both, but I'm still counting on only ending up with 1...

Yukinari

Kinda wish Thinkgeek just used a simple order number page for people who dont have an account instead of a separate site entirely.

breadtruck

But then when they receive both, well, then they are only doing someone who really wants it a service by selling the second to them at a massive profit, IMEANAMIRIGHT?

Nah, but seriously, Id probably have done the same if I was awake in the middle of the night when they unlocked the orders.

chrono01

But then when they receive both, well, then they are only doing someone who really wants it a service by selling the second to them at a massive profit, IMEANAMIRIGHT?

Nah, but seriously, Id probably have done the same if I was awake in the middle of the night when they unlocked the orders.
Not me. If I received a second system, I'd sell it to my sister at-cost, since she's in the market for one of these too (but doesn't want to constantly F5 websites to try and get one for herself).

Sadly, I probably won't even manage one for myself, let alone two of them (since my only pre-order, the one on target.ca, was cancelled a few weeks back). :/

To those out of Continental US orders that got cancelled by Amazon.

I called again. Kept escalating until supervisor gave me $100 credit. Still not too happy though. That email really pissed me off.

To those out of Continental US orders that got cancelled by Amazon.

I called again. Kept escalating until supervisor gave me $100 credit. Still not too happy though. That email really pissed me off.

Nice hustle. Have you been a long time customer and bought a lot of stuff from Amazon over the years? I found out that Amazon customer service treat you differently depending on such factors. Someone who just registered an account with them to buy the SNES Classic or who orders once a year or something probably isn't gonna get a $100 apology even if they pushed for it.

Z..

Man, this is some crazy shit out there in wealthier countries, huh? I preordered this with no problem whatsoever. Same store had NES minis just sitting on the shelves untouched for weeks way back when. Always plenty of Switches available too. These threads always feel so surreal to me.
It's all good here on the poorer side of the € zone!

Man, this is some crazy shit out there in wealthier countries, huh? I preordered this with no problem whatsoever. Same store had NES minis just sitting on the shelves untouched for weeks way back when. Always plenty of Switches available too. These threads always feel so surreal to me.
It's all good here on the poorer side of the € zone!

My country doesn't even get them. I think Sony is the only one that officially releases hardware and software here (and that started recently), everything else is imported and on a very small scale.

neonglow

So how solid is an in-store GameStop order?

Should I be looking out for a second preorder somewhere? I thought I was done and handled...

It's pretty solid if you get there quickly after store opening on release day. There's always the chance of an employee that ends up selling your reserved copy to someone else accidentally. They'll also hold onto it for 48 hours only which I always though was too short compared to other retail places.

MrMephistoX

Not trying to be pedantic, but I own most of them already and I'm still really excited about getting a preorder i(finally). I also have a Pi that I love. But the way the SNES classic is packaged + ease of use + overall nostalgia is what is most appealing to me still.

And build quality...I mean I could easily play these games on my PC with a dual shock but it's just not the same. Plus no Starfox 2.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like how being on a video game podcast, recording from a room lined with video games and video game posters, doesn't keep him from getting on that high horse.

It's an enthusiast yelling at others for being...enthusiasts.

To be transparent here, I got one from Best Buy during the midnight surprise pre-order. But I can totally identify with the frustration of someone willing to pay for something and not being able to due to a planned shortage. Hopefully stores will get more than the pre-orders for those who didn't get one.

They 8bitdo controllers are good enough.

You'd think right? But sadly it's not the case. The nes one at least has major dpad issues that result in unintended directional input (e.g. down often registers as down-left or down-right). It makes games like Contra very frustrating. The original controllers do not have this problem.

You'd think right? But sadly it's not the case. The nes one at least has major dpad issues that result in unintended directional input (e.g. down often registers as down-left or down-right). It makes games like Contra very frustrating. The original controllers do not have this problem.
I believe the dpad issue was only in the early batch of the controllers and was later fixed, and I think you can send yours to get it fixed for free.

That's what I remember reading in the NES Classic thread last year.

I believe the dpad issue was only in the early batch of the controllers and was later fixed, and I think you can send yours to get it fixed for free.

That's what I remember reading in the NES Classic thread last year.

Mine is only 6 months old, but good to know they'll attempt to fix it. I haven't even used it since my initial test.

I only saw your one post about these in the Pi thread. So, I'll keep it quick: What are you going to do with 12 cases? I'd like to get my hands on one (as well as those stickers) if you need to offload one ($).

I'm not sure how I'll use my RetroFlag NESPi cases yet, I'll have to see how many of my friends want it. I may sell a few completed systems to people in my circle, but I am super limited due to law. These will never be online or print money for me. Even selling that iconic case design with a Nintendo logo on it isn't really allowed, not to mention the software. If anything, it's more hassle than it's worth, I'm mostly building these for Christmas gifts or what not.

So I'd keep an eye on Amazon stock. It should be in and out of stock for about $20-$40 tops. From what I hear the NESPi is a really nice, authentic looking mini NES case - if not quite as nice looking as the real NES Classic. Then there are those modding this case to work with mini loadable, 3D printed NES carts that trigger NFC game loading!! I'm just building relatively normal NESPi's, although I may be modding one of my SNES Classics into a RetroPie.

I'm excited about the idea of a mini RetroPie system as I have complete control over the game library. Are you looking forward to Star Fox 2? I'll see your flying animals and raise you Turtles in Time, Terranigma, and Seiken Densetsu 3!!

Cynn

Looks like my only guaranteed SNES Classic is my U.K. Pre-order. I really wanted to get the US version as well. Fingers crossed for another random pre-order window somewhere.

I have multiple orders, no interest in scalping, but also no trust that any single one of these vendors is going to come through to me. Don't feel bad at all about it.

Returned my NES 8bitdo because of d-pad issue. The cheap $10 NES wireless I got from bestbuy had a more consistent d-pad. It was still shit, but it was a more consistent shit.

Nice hustle. Have you been a long time customer and bought a lot of stuff from Amazon over the years? I found out that Amazon customer service treat you differently depending on such factors. Someone who just registered an account with them to buy the SNES Classic or who orders once a year or something probably isn't gonna get a $100 apology even if they pushed for it.

I am a good customer. Still, those that got pre orders canceled shouldn't get nothing. Especially after that bogus email.

You might be shocked to discover that people can buy multiples of other products and the world doesn't end because of it.

This is strictly a Nintendo problem. For some reason other companies or products rarely have the problems Nintendo products do.

This retails for $200 here and that is just fucking crazy.. (sweden, No surprise there since HW prices are insane here these days)

But, it's still overbooked.

Other examples:

Switch MSRP: $450

PS4 Pro MSRP: $540

PS4 slim MSRP: $375

Xbone S MSRP: $299

Xbone X MSRP : $675

shanafan

So ordering from Best Buy ended up being the safest bet?

I'd say so. I know not everyone can agree to this, but Best Buy has never let me down when it comes to preorders. I always get it day of release, and never seen any cancellations come my way.

Top Bottom