• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Honestly I'm getting really fucking tired of Nintendo and them seemingly not wanting my money for any of their products. I might be done with them for good if I don't manage to get one of these.

jennetics

Dang. I'm really sorry that you guys had your orders cancelled! No one who actually wanted one or who was trying to genuinely help others deserves to get theirs cancelled.

Nintendo of America really needs to address this situation. At least tell us if there are gonna be no preorders period.

That's probably what ticks me off the most, the continued silence from NOA...

It really shouldn't bother me so much, this plastic box lol but it does. Gotta move on and wait for what happens next I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I understand why they won't honor their commitment to these preorders. An honest broker and business would keep the preorders and allocate them accordingly.

Walmart wants the big pop from whenever the pre-order actually goes live so they can have us scrambling and posting links to their website on the sanctioned date.

For the NES Classic, sites like Amazon sold out before they were officially listed and up on the site. Their site crashed. I'm not sure how it worked for Wal-Mart.

Preorders for stuff like this are never fair and organized. It's always a mad rush and is often unannounced. I don't think Friday night's preorders were any different.

This, more or less, confirms no preorders from anyone.

Petrae

So basically NoA is going to be NoA and not let us preorder again? Because if so, fuck that.

NoA knows that it's going to sell through 100% of these units, so why bother with preorders? It's not like NoA makes any cash from retailers who collect money early and let it build interest for days/weeks before it goes to Nintendo to pay for the hardware.

NoA has retailers by the balls, much like it did nearly 30 years ago. NoA calls the shots, decides which retailers get more allocation, and will dictate the flow of sales for SNES Minis.

Get ready to camp out for a week or pay 2-3 times MSRP for one, unless you're extremely fast and/or lucky. You'll be fighting against scalpers and resellers who make buying and flipping this stuff their full-time job, and are well-equipped with tech and manpower to outhustle 95% of people who genuinely want to buy one.

Good luck in your battle. You're gonna need it.

I hope everyone learns a few lessons in general about preordering hard to get items with this.

1) Don't rely on one source; do multiple preorders

2) Don't cancel a preorder somewhere just because you got an order in somewhere else.

Kadin

Honestly I'm getting really fucking tired of Nintendo and them seemingly not wanting my money for any of their products. I might be done with them for good if I don't manage to get one of these.
I tell myself this all the time. I don't know what it would take to finally write them off for their continued lack of effort to properly take my money. I hope that day never comes but stuff like this continues to happen...

Well.. Wal-Mart messed up, not Nintendo.
You don't feel Nintendo has any hand in this fiasco?

I hope everyone learns a few lessons in general about preordering hard to get items with this.

1) Don't rely on one source; do multiple preorders

2) Don't cancel a preorder somewhere just because you got an order in somewhere else.

#2 sounds like common sense tbh.

never count ur chickens before they hatch.

Looks like we're all going to have to take off a day of work to wait in line for this. It will definitely get good media coverage which is Nintendo's goal anyway.

Fjordson

Just assuming now that pre-orders will never go up. Nintendo wants people to camp out in huge lines.

Oh well, Nintendo can keep all that bullshit.

Petrae

No question that Walmart screwed the pooch in this case, but NoA has more than a hand in this clusterfuck. How can there be no allocation numbers or guidance with two months to go before sale?

NoA doesn't give a fuck. Preorders, as I said before, do not benefit the company here when it's a lock that 100% of what NoA ships will sell. The company will ship what it wants, and retailers can deal with the fallout when customers can't find any.

Tubie

Looks like we're all going to have to take off a day of work to wait in line for this. It will definitely get good media coverage which is Nintendo's goal anyway.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, but I'm afraid its gonna be like rolling the dice. We have no way of knowing how many units they will send to each particular store for release day.

Kadin

I won't. Last time I waited in line was for a phone like 5 years ago. Having to do that today is just ridiculous. I won't play that game and if that means I don't get one, so be it. I'm not working that hard to spend my money.

Zen Aku

Somehow Nintendo been in the gaming business longer than both Sony and Microsoft and they're still the most incompetent when it comes to knowing what the consumers wsnt and how to provide it.

celebi23

I'm on the phone with Walmart support now. Trying to get definitive answer if this thing will be available for preorder at a later date.

Kintaco

So frustrating that Nintendo refuses to comment on this. All they need to do is confirm whether they plan to allow pre-orders or not. They don't even need to offer up any further details.

Someone start a social media campaign against their shitty practices.

JABEE

What are you even talking about?

I'm saying they won't allocate the orders based off their error. I think that would be the fair thing to do. I'm saying they have decided to cancel and still have an allocation for when all the other sites will be doing their preorders. Walmart wants to say they have systems to sell.

It's why they are making the decision to cancel these early pre-orders rather than honor them. To a normal customer, these pre-orders appeared as any other order on their site.

I'm saying Walmart made a choice here. People who don't pre-order stuff normally do so in order to feel secure that they will get a desirable item upon release. In the past, I ordered a PS4 from Amazon well before the E3 announcement of price. Amazon honored that pre-order. It was a choice.

mindatlarge

What a buzzkill for those that were able to secure a pre-order from Wal-Mart. Took them long enough to make an official statement. What a bummer.

No question that Walmart screwed the pooch in this case, but NoA has more than a hand in this clusterfuck. How can there be no allocation numbers or guidance with two months to go before sale?

NoA doesn't give a fuck. Preorders, as I said before, do not benefit the company here when it's a lock that 100% of what NoW ships will sell. The company will ship what it wants, and retailers can deal with the fallout when customers can't find any.

What is NoW?

Isaccard

image.png

Wal-Mart has nothing to do with what I'm referring to. The fact that I need to babysit fucking preorder timings ON THE FUCKING DOT in order to try to get their products - TIME AND TIME AGAIN - is goddamned inexcusable.

Combined with the idiotic content blocked amiibo bullshit they have been forcing as of late, their idiotic approach to 90% of anything online related, and so many other things I won't even mention...I'm just getting fed up with their practices as a company and sooner or later I'm going to be done with them.

Coming from someone who used to be a Nintendo fanboy, for some context.

Top Bottom