• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

toa95

And there's the cancellation email, welp, back to the old plan, I'll grab one if I can but I'm not going out of my way to get one.

Tomita

Man, I was so excited to get my Wal-Mart preorder in. I never got a SNES as a kid, so I'd really love this Classic edition. ): And I don't want to preorder a European version because I want the American version I wanted as a kid. Sigh. Doubt I can get the 29th off work too once I find a job. :/

cucuchu

And still everyone at NOA gets to keep their jobs, even though they all appear to be totally incompetent at them...

At the very least a little bit of communication right now would go a long way.

I'm frustrated with not being able to preorder the XBOX yet but at least Microsoft is communicating with us about causes for the hold-up and telling us that preorders are coming. I love Nintendo products but some of their policies and actions are ass-backwards.

At the very least a little bit of communication right now would go a long way.

I'm frustrated with not being able to preorder the XBOX yet but at least Microsoft is communicating with us about causes for the hold-up and telling us that preorders are coming. I love Nintendo products but some of their policies and actions are ass-backwards.

Welcome to the club. :(

Boke1879

I'm going to either have to camp out for this shit at WalMart or Best Buy. Or just suck it up and buy one of the ridiculously priced GameStop bundles.

JayBabay

And by duke it out, you mean clicking F5 and being beaten out to add items to your cart by bots.

As long as Amazon or another retailer doesn't announce when they are going for sale we have a chance against the bots. But the bots combined with full public disclosure means no chance in hell.

btrboyev

Can you stop being surprised that your orders have been canceled? Walmart officially sent PR saying ALL orders will be canceled.

Can you stop being surprised that your orders have been canceled? Walmart officially sent PR saying ALL orders will be canceled.
oomKAFa.gif

tenchir

They probably are the main reason why no one is doing pre-orders though.

What I think happened is that Nintendo has contracts with all the major retailers to start the preorder on a certain day, so no one has any advantage over the other. Walmart goofed and did it early, so Nintendo told them to cancel them all or they are not getting any inventory in order to not pissed off the other retailers or set a precedent that this is okay.

Nintendo is definitely not in the wrong here.

//ARCANUM

So for anyone worried about the "DOESN'T SHIP TO UNITED STATES" thing on Amazon UK, FWIW - I pre-ordered the neon green and neon pink joycon set from Amazon UK and it had the same "doesn't ship to U.S." thing on it, and my order just got dispatched to the U.S. anyways. So I'm not sure if that message is entirely accurate. Not sure if this will correlate to the SNES pre-orders or not, but this is a nice little test.

Still got my order from Tesco Direct, phew.

Hopefully because I work there, I can get in touch with someone if it does manage to get cancelled.

I lucked out on the NES Mini, but I'm glad I did because I know I'll use the SNES Mini much more considering it's got two controllers.

Pretty fucking excited.

BriGuy

What I think happened is that Nintendo has contracts with all the major retailers to start the preorder on a certain day, so no one has any advantage over the other. Walmart goofed and did it early, so Nintendo told them to cancel them all or they are not getting any inventory in order to not pissed off the other retailers or set a precedent that this is okay.

Nintendo is definitely not in the wrong here.
Cool story, bro. So no one completely sells out of their stock in seconds before anyone else can completely sell out of their stock in seconds? And Nintendo threatening to withhold stock from the single biggest retailer in the country to teach them a lesson? Yeah, Nintendo's not in the wrong here. It was actually WaLintendo fucking us all over in disguise!

NeOak

So for anyone worried about the "DOESN'T SHIP TO UNITED STATES" thing on Amazon UK, FWIW - I pre-ordered the neon green and neon pink joycon set from Amazon UK and it had the same "doesn't ship to U.S." thing on it, and my order just got dispatched to the U.S. anyways. So I'm not sure if that message is entirely accurate. Not sure if this will correlate to the SNES pre-orders or not, but this is a nice little test.

It won't let you select a US address while that message is there.

You just managed to order it when the limitation wasn't there.

tenchir

Cool story, bro. So no one completely sells out of their stock in seconds before anyone else can completely sell out of their stock in seconds? And Nintendo threatening to withhold stock from the single biggest retailer in the country to teach them a lesson? Yeah, Nintendo's not in the wrong here. It was actually WaLintendo fucking us all over in disguise!

From what I heard, Walmart wasn't suppose to sell it that day, what don't you understand about that? Nintendo probably has contract with all retailers not to start preorder before a certain day, Letting Walmart getting away with early preorder will probably set a bad precedent for them concerning other retailers. If Walmart can get away with it now, then what about next time Amazon does it?

fester

Banned
Tons of people that want this product are getting left high and dry, and it's all because Nintendo is intentionally trying to make it a "rare" collector's item.

Nintendo isn't trying to make this a "rare" product - they are in the business of making money and they make $0 when scalpers sell these things for $250 on ebay. They seem to think they can make more money putting their resources into other areas, which I think is pure bullshit, but what can you do other than tell Nintendo to fuck off and die in a fire?

//ARCANUM

It won't let you select a US address while that message is there.

You just managed to order it when the limitation wasn't there.

I don't have the screenshots to prove it unfortunately, but it actually did. It had the message there in bold red letters and it let me use a U.S. address when I ordered. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit - in fact, it lets me pre-order more and select my U.S. address even though it has the warning. check it out.

double edit - WOAH WTF. It was literally just in stock via amazon. i just tried it and it worked and I deleted it from my cart before finishing, now it's only available 3rd party lol. oh well who knows.

triple edit - okay i dont know what's happening with that link. when it comes from here it only shows 3rd party sellers, but when i search on amazon uk it comes up as available from amazon. no idea why. anyways, what i said about NO U.S. but then it being totally fine with it still stands.

Lol why are people mad at Walmart? It was a mistake it went up and it would literally be impossible for them to fill the orders considering the number of units they get is decided by nintendo

DJChuy

tenor.gif

Got the email :(

It's going to be tough finding one in store since many people from Mexico cross over to buy them. I live in a border town, and it happened with the NES Classic. Hopefully I get lucky this time around.

fester

Banned
Lol why are people mad at Walmart? It was a mistake it went up and it would literally be impossible for them to fill the orders considering the number of units they get is decided by nintendo

So their solution is to cancel them all? Why not at least honor the amount they had access to on a first-come first-serve basis?

Yep, mine was cancelled.

Not really mad since multiple people were told by Walmart days prior that it went up too early, and that orders were being cancelled. Time to wait for another one...again.

MaulerX

Yep. Cancelled email here as well. Honestly I don't give a rats ass if if I get one now. Waving a steak in my face and then pulling it away enough times makes me fell like not eating it anymore.

Same thing happens with amiibos sold by amazon. Been this way since they were the hype in the Wii U days

Top Bottom