• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Nintendo isn't trying to make this a "rare" product - they are in the business of making money and they make $0 when scalpers sell these things for $250 on ebay. They seem to think they can make more money putting their resources into other areas, which I think is pure bullshit, but what can you do other than tell Nintendo to fuck off and die in a fire?

Yeah I get what you are saying but for pete's sake they already announced this only has a 3 month availability window, and the NES Classic was discontinued despite much demand, so saying Nintendo isn't trying to make this rare is horseshit. They have more money in the bank than they know what to do with. There are ways to fulfill demand, like what Apple is doing with AirPods, fucking keep making them. Maybe you can't get a set right NOW but you can sure order them, and you will be served in order, as mine took about 3 weeks from Best Buy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So their solution is to cancel them all? Why not at least honor the amount they had access to on a first-come first-serve basis?

I don't put that much stock in the chat support reps, but supposedly NoA demanded they cancel all the orders.

The whole situation is bullshit, Walmart may be handling it poorly, but ultimately this falls back on Nintendo (and NoA in particular) being terrible at what they do. A normal company would have preorders up everywhere and do a better job at gauging demand for the products they release. Nintendo is content to underserve and let people fight over them.

tesqui

O8weXNC.png

2504410-screen+shot+2013-06-27+at+5.49.11+pm.png

MrMephistoX

I don't put that much stock in the chat support reps, but supposedly NoA demanded they cancel all the orders.

The whole situation is bullshit, Walmart may be handling it poorly, but ultimately this falls back on Nintendo (and NoA in particular) being terrible at what they do. A normal company would have preorders up everywhere and do a better job at gauging demand for the products they release. Nintendo is content to underserve and let people fight over them.

Or use that data point as justification to build more units. Fuck Nintendo on this seriously. Did they get burned over making Wii U's to the point of being skiddish?

storl026

My order was cancelled at 8:57 pm.
I ordered in the first 5 minutes.
I had an existing Walmart account.
I did have to enter a new credit card.
The card was charged immediately.

All that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you ordered it in the first min, all orders are getting cancelled.

Arc07

I ordered 3 minutes before the thread was up. Doesn't matter.

Or use that data point as justification to build more units. Fuck Nintendo on this seriously. Did they get burned over making Wii U's to the point of being skiddish?
The same thing with the Switch. I mean, by the time these are easily found in stores...maybe a guy just grabs an Xbox or holds on a little longer for a PS5. Nintendo is trying too hard to be cute and it's going to hurt their bottom line.

The NES Classic I could easily live without. This SNES Classic version? I need it. I really need 4 of them. One for me, another one for me for spare controllers, and one for each of my two sisters. Perhaps a 5th to give away on my upcoming podcast. I'll have them write hand written letters and subscribe to avoid bots. LOL.

Edit: Seven if you count freinds... it's the perfect gift really.

Skeletron

I really hope I'm free again to make an order when the next random 30-minute window opens up at some undetermined point in the future.

Seriously, I was on my way to my bachelor party when I got the notification from Walmart on my phone. Stopped the car right there and ordered that shit.

I feel like this thread has quickly moved away from the original intention and what the rules were put in the OP for and has devolved like the previous SNES classic pre-order threads. This is just a "complain about NoA/Walmart" thread now and is doing no one any good.

I called my local Target and GameStop recently and, obviously this isn't confirmed and its just word of mouth from the regional managers here in the area, both Target and GameStop told me that preorders will not happen for this item due to word from the higher ups.

Course the GameStop manager in my store is frustrated about that since he gets calls every day about it and he can't tell them anything besides "We'll let you know as soon we have the details."

Blizzard

Banned
I called my local Target and GameStop recently and, obviously this isn't confirmed and its just word of mouth from the regional managers here in the area, both Target and GameStop told me that preorders will not happen for this item due to word from the higher ups.

Course the GameStop manager in my store is frustrated about that since he gets calls every day about it and he can't tell them anything besides "We'll let you know as soon we have the details."
Didn't Target do preorders for the NES Classic and announce they would do preorders for the SNES classic? I thought I read something about that earlier today. Sounds like it's changed if they had planned that, and as per the Wal-mart email, no preorders of any sort will happen and it will all be a complete lottery.

Didn't Target do preorders for the NES Classic and announce they would do preorders for the SNES classic? I thought I read something about that earlier today. Sounds like it's changed if they had planned that, and as per the Wal-mart email, no preorders of any sort will happen and it will all be a complete lottery.
They did! Then they said that was a mistake. Now people are getting automatic replies from Target's Twitter saying they'll announce the preorder date soon whenever they ask.

It's confusing.

cucuchu

Its going to be a damned slaughter-house the day this thing launches in NA then. Hopefully most of those that perish are the scalpers.

Kusagari

I'm sure Walmart, GameStop and Target would want this too. At the end of the day when you do queue up at their store you are likely to buy another item. They'd also have queue, so good publicity for them.

Is there actually any proof of that? I mean, yes, you might buy another product if the SNES classic is there to buy.

But people are going to waste money on other things when they're told they got 3 SNES classic's and they're all gone?

I honestly think it did. The Wii U seriously under performing seems to have made them more numbers cautious when it comes to production.

Mr Git

Argos have texted me delightfully confirming my order about 4 times. I sincerely hope they don't end up cancelling it, seems to be happening a lot.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think there are currently. I know Nintendo's UK online store did preorders for the NES classic last year so keep an eye out for that.

They already had pre-orders for the SNES mini the day after Amazon, sold out in a flash.

wonderpug

Neo Member
On the plus side, it's good to know the Walmart in-stock notification works! I know we're all hating on Walmart right now, but I just re-signed up for the notification to get ready for the next preorder rush.

On the bright side, people have confirmed that, even though Amazon DE/UK/etc. says they don't ship to the US, they do.

Hopefully, it holds true come September. :)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
On the plus side, it's good to know the Walmart in-stock notification works! I know we're all hating on Walmart right now, but I just re-signed up for the notification to get ready for the next preorder rush.

I'm not familiar with Walmart, but I don't know if I would trust their notification system for this. If there was any ind of delay, the pre-orders would probably be gone already.

On the bright side, people have confirmed that, even though Amazon DE/UK/etc. says they don't ship to the US, they do.

Hopefully, it holds true come September. :)

I think they actually put a stop to that though, at least according to people in this thread. From what I gather if Amazon UK open up pre-orders again then they won't deliver to the US.

jacobeid

Banned
Lol Wal Mart canceled my order yesterday but still hit my card with a pre-authorization charge this morning (the original pre-authorization disappeared on Tuesday and now it's back).

I really hope ALL of these retailers go in on Nintendo. This has to be causing them a TON of stress and money, all because Nintendo fucking sucks and doesn't want to create enough products to cover demand.

Or maybe Nintendo is hyping this up to create the idea that this item will be scarce so they can sell every unit they put out.

God damn, Nintendo sucks.

Gator86

I really hope ALL of these retailers go in on Nintendo. This has to be causing them a TON of stress and money, all because Nintendo fucking sucks and doesn't want to create enough products to cover demand.

Or maybe Nintendo is hyping this up to create the idea that this item will be scarce so they can sell every unit they put out.

God damn, Nintendo sucks.

They were always going to do this anyway. Nintendo is just a shit company and if their games weren't so good, they would be one of the most reviled in the industry.

RedZaraki

Banned

You talking about the email notification that got sent out 2 days after the pre-order went up and sold out?

I still have the pre authorization charges on my card yet my order was already cancelled on the website. How long does it take for it to go away?

RedZaraki

Banned
I feel like this thread has quickly moved away from the original intention and what the rules were put in the OP for and has devolved like the previous SNES classic pre-order threads. This is just a "complain about NoA/Walmart" thread now and is doing no one any good.

Well, there's a "Konami sucks" megathread around here somewhere. Maybe we need a "Nintendo supply sucks" megathread.

For all NES classic, Switch, SNES classic, and amiibo supply complaints.

Really. They keep doing this. Every. Single. Time.

Top Bottom