• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well, there's a "Konami sucks" megathread around here somewhere. Maybe we need a "Nintendo supply sucks" megathread.

For all NES classic, Switch, SNES classic, and amiibo supply complaints.

Really. They keep doing this. Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo is honestly the only major company that continually has this problem. It's so bad that people are dying to preorder, simply because they don't think they will EVER be able to buy it.

Has this ever happened before? People thinking they'll 100% not have a chance to buy a non-limited edition item, ever? It's absurd.

RedZaraki

Banned
Nintendo is honestly the only major company that continually has this problem. It's so bad that people are dying to preorder, simply because they don't think they will EVER be able to buy it.

Has this ever happened before? People thinking they'll 100% not have a chance to buy a non-limited edition item, ever? It's absurd.

They're limited items, effectively. They really are.

Ernest

Banned
LOL !

This is already off to a fantastic start.

What is the deal with Nintendo and their production/supply clusterfuck?

Sephzilla

LOL !

This is already off to a fantastic start.

What is the deal with Nintendo and their production/supply clusterfuck?

da5.gif

The amount of slack people give them as well is fucking AMAZING.

Nintendo is also one of the only video game companies to have a giant stable of physical products (more than 140 different amiibo figures + multiple systems + more than a dozen first-party games per year) that can't possibly all be on store shelves at once.

They were always going to do this anyway. Nintendo is just a shit company and if their games weren't so good, they would be one of the most reviled in the industry.

Then they wouldn’t have a supply issue to begin with.

Nintendo characters are some of the most popular around, and since the Wii U missteps, they’ve gained popularity again where even average joe wants items like a Switch or a classic console.

Problem is scalpers caught on and are going to be there day one, no matter the amount Nintendo produces. Maybe your town in the middle of bum fuck Idaho won’t have issues with stock, but any area with a decent city population is bound to have stock issues.

Nintendo has a ceiling for what they can sell or stock on store shelves. The Animal Crossing Amiibo are a clear indication of this. Even Apple can’t guarantee stock for what is bound to be the most popular product this year with their incredible production lines.

jmizzal

I really hope ALL of these retailers go in on Nintendo. This has to be causing them a TON of stress and money, all because Nintendo fucking sucks and doesn't want to create enough products to cover demand.

Or maybe Nintendo is hyping this up to create the idea that this item will be scarce so they can sell every unit they put out.

God damn, Nintendo sucks.

How is this causing retailers stress? This glitch was on Walmarts end and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

These retailers would much rather not have preorders, cuz it will get them all foot traffic from people lining up, i'm pretty sure they dont care

How is this causing retailers stress? This glitch was on Walmarts end and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

These retailers would much rather not have preorders, cuz it will get them all foot traffic from people lining up, i'm pretty sure they dont care

Retailers would earn more if Nintendo produced more though.

jmizzal

Retailers would earn more if Nintendo produced more though.

I mean Nintendo is also providing the retailers Switch, 3DS, 2DS, Games amiiboo and other stuff, the poster is acting like the poor retailers are so stress over not having SNES units right now

The only people stressed is us

Petrae

No doubt Walmart fucked up, but Nintendo has plenty to answer for. Two months before launch, and the company still doesn't know its allocation numbers for retailers? That's incompetence. Get those numbers to retailers so they can sell the product instead of being coy.

It might seem advantageous for retailers to not have preorders and have hundreds of people camping out in their parking lots, but it isn't. Once you sell out, which is inevitable in a situation like this, you're going to have to deal with the shitstorm of rage from those left out.

Retailers are ready for this. They want to sell the product. They want launch day to go smoothly instead of some Hunger Games-like bullshit. Unfortunately for them, Nintendo has them by the balls and will do as it sees fit.

Walmart is getting the shitstorm it deserves. Nintendo deserves its own, but it's Nintendo-- and people sure love to defend it.

No doubt Walmart fucked up, but Nintendo has plenty to answer for. Two months before launch, and the company still doesn't know its allocation numbers for retailers? That's incompetence. Get those numbers to retailers so they can sell the product instead of being coy.

It might seem advantageous for retailers to not have preorders and have hundreds of people camping out in their parking lots, but it isn't. Once you sell out, which is inevitable in a situation like this, you're going to have to deal with the shitstorm of rage from those left out.

Retailers are ready for this. They want to sell the product. They want launch day to go smoothly instead of some Hunger Games-like bullshit. Unfortunately for them, Nintendo has them by the balls and will do as it sees fit.

Walmart is getting the shitstorm it deserves. Nintendo deserves its own, but it's Nintendo-- and people sure love to defend it.

And throwing shade at Nintendo when this wasn’t their fuckup just makes you seem bitter with comments like this.

Does it matter if people defend Nintendo? In our world today, defending a video game company that people are nostalgic to is pretty low on the taking offense list. Point that anger elsewhere.

Petrae

And throwing shade at Nintendo when this wasn’t their fuckup just makes you seem bitter with comments like this.

So Nintendo isn't at all complicit in preventing retailers from allowing preorders to happen? This thing should have been in preorder status by now-- again, we're two months away from launch for a piece of hardware.

Don't have specific numbers? Give retailers a low forecast and let them do their thing. If preorders have to be cancelled (or late) due to allocation revision, then so be it.

Nintendo has demonstrated that it has learned nothing from last year, at least so far. Perhaps it ships more units than the NES Classic, but that would be the only improvement.

I call out incompetence when I see it, and Nintendo has proven to be just that time and time again when it comes to launching hardware (and amiibo) by consistently underestimating demand and supply.

Zurick

Banned

Does it matter if people defend Nintendo? In our world today, defending a video game company that people are nostalgic to is pretty low on the taking offense list. Point that anger elsewhere.

Actually. I beg to differ. This entire fiasco IS Nintendo's fault. They have a serious lack of internal management to deal with their community and keep them informed as well as updated on matters like this.

The fact is, this shouldn't have ever BEEN an issue. It was the same deal with the Switch. I got mine because I guessed pre-orders would go up later that night after the price announcement. Just like I did with SNES Classic. Now, I did manage to secure an EU SNES Classic like I had hoped, but it's absolutely ridiculous that in this social media age updates about issues like this can't come more swiftly from ANY company.

Sigh. It was just destined to go down this way, wasn't it? A system that should be widely released where the topic of discussion ideally is a nostalgia-fueled lovefest, instead another year, another 'what the fuck is Nintendo doing' situation developing before our eyes. Underestimating demand was the NES classic excuse last year, which doesn't fly now.

Sigh. It was just destined to go down this way, wasn't it? A system that should be widely released where the topic of discussion ideally is a nostalgia-fueled lovefest, instead another year, another 'what the fuck is Nintendo doing' situation developing before our eyes. Underestimating demand was the NES classic excuse last year, which doesn't fly now.

yeah but now they can hit us with the "always meant to be a limited product" option select

So Nintendo isn't at all complicit in preventing retailers from allowing preorders to happen? This thing should have been in preorder status by now-- again, we're two months away from launch for a piece of hardware.

Don't have specific numbers? Give retailers a low forecast and let them do their thing. If preorders have to be cancelled (or late) due to allocation revision, then so be it.

Nintendo has demonstrated that it has learned nothing from last year, at least so far. Perhaps it ships more units than the NES Classic, but that would be the only improvement.

I call out incompetence when I see it, and Nintendo has proven to be just that time and time again when it comes to launching hardware (and amiibo) by consistently underestimating demand and supply.

Thing is, 'significantly' more units could be 2-3 times as many as the NES classic, and still not be enough. These things are at the price that you can just pick one up on the shelf without even thinking about it; it's the ideal low cost 'no brainer' gift. I expect millions of disappointed people this christmas. I just have no faith in Nintendo to make these things available to the average person who can't be plugged into their phone all day waiting for alerts, or can't stop what they're doing because amazon JUST got a shipment and you got like 5 minutes to grab one( and no doubt you'll have to be a prime member to even be eligible to fight with everyone else for one to start with).

kingslunk

And throwing shade at Nintendo when this wasn't their fuckup just makes you seem bitter with comments like this.

LOL. Did you live through the NES classic fiasco created by Nintendo? They fucked this whole thing up once before and everything seems to be heading down that same road because of NoA's poor decision making skills.

commish

Not Nintendo's fuck-up?!

Fox Mulder

Nintendo has constantly had product issues with multiple retailers regardless of the time of year or what the item is. They are the ones that are fucking incompetent.

Gator86

No, this is a video game forum and Nintendo continuously does insufferable and incompetent shit. They deserve all the criticism they get. It's been decades and they still seem puzzled by even the most basic aspects of production and distribution, much less any of their other insane decisions.

commish

Nintendo is also one of the only video game companies to have a giant stable of physical products (more than 140 different amiibo figures + multiple systems + more than a dozen first-party games per year) that can't possibly all be on store shelves at once.

Just saw this. I want to quote this so I can find it later when I need to show one of the most ridiculous explanations as to why Nintendo continually sucks at providing in-demand product to consumers.

Blam

Just saw this. I want to quote this so I can find it later when I need to show one of the most ridiculous explanations as to why Nintendo continually sucks at providing in-demand product to consumers.

That's a stupid reason lmao. Microsoft, and Sony also have the same shit and yet they never run out of stock and if they do it's for maybe a week. Even when the PS4 blew up people only lost stock for a week or 2 max.

Wut.

How can they be burdened by products they discontinued after the first production run?

Oh come on. This is an absurd level of corporate apologizing.

come on, my dude... there's a better argument.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Corporate offices purchasing officers have the job of purchasing the items for sale in their store from Nintendo. I know this, because, at one time, I was one. Nintendo is a mainly retail based multinational corporation who does not own the factories that produce their goods. I currently work for one as well, so I understand a bit about how this works. They have many many many deals with many factories to produce a variety of products. If they could not fill the orders the purchasers of other retailers made, I can guess that it is likely Nintendo would not do business with them anymore.

If there was a chip shortage causing a lack of stock, that would be one thing. To my knowledge this isn't the case, but what do I know. Nintendo decides how much stock to produce, agrees to purchase rates for customers based on available stock levels, and it is up to the production facilities to produce enough to meet the agreements.

If a multinational retail giant technology company cannot meet demand, their business is in trouble. It is far more likely that they are producing fewer units to moderate financial risk or control budgets in some way for their company.

Unless I'm wrong, in the case of these units, it was stated that there would be limited supply, but more than NES Classic Mini. That's intentional. Also, Nintendo is controlling who has permission to do pre-orders. All of this is Nintendo. No one, but Nintendo.

Kadin

How hard would it be for them, logistically, to setup a preorder system to allow people to pay for the system in advance and then they produce them based on a limited time-frame for people to order it. They then commit to making said number of units and then make a more 'limited' amount to put into stores. I mean I know these have to be made in advance but I have to believe with a little effort, they could really win a lot of fans with something like this. Or is this just way too far off from being a realistic option?

dohdough

How hard would it be for them, logistically, to setup a preorder system to allow people to pay for the system in advance and then they produce them based on a limited time-frame for people to order it. They then commit to making said number of units and then make a more 'limited' amount to put into stores. I mean I know these have to be made in advance but I have to believe with a little effort, they could really win a lot of fans with something like this. Or is this just way too far off from being a realistic option?

It's easier to sell 10000 units to 1000 people than it is to sell and ship 10000 units to 10000 people and this is before setting up suppliers/manufacturering after the fact.

Fox Mulder

they can't even accomplish regular preorders with giants like Amazon, Walmart, Target, Bestbuy. I have zero faith they'd do some direct to consumer sales right on their own website.

They obviously love how it works now, they have a unique frenzy around their products. They'll also just brag on twitter about the line at their stupid NYC store.

Have you worked retail? Do you know how much time and effort is taken up by answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over about a product? Even retailers like Walmart and Target don't know what the fuck to do because most likely Nintendo isn't talking to them or giving them figures so they can support any sort of online ordering. Not having a clear idea of what kind of supply you can expect or dealing with a vendor who has a constrained supply chain causes issues for retailers from the top down to the associates on the floor and it pisses off potential customers even when the retailers in question have no control over supply. It's ESPECIALLY shitty for sales associates or people on the floor of these retailers because customers will go off on them about shit they can't even control.

*edit*

I mean Nintendo is also providing the retailers Switch, 3DS, 2DS, Games amiiboo and other stuff, the poster is acting like the poor retailers are so stress over not having SNES units right now

Nintendo isn't doing retailers any favors by providing products that people buy. If Nintendo could get by by selling directly to consumers they would, but they don't so their business model doesn't exist without retailers then Target, Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop. The fact that you don't understand how having a lack of a product can cause issues for retail employees shows you don't know what you're talking about. Retailers want to have product to sell and suppliers, like Nintendo, should be doing what they can to satisfy demand for their products. When suppliers don't do that and cause confusion as Nintendo has, it hurts everybody up and down that chain.

Also, retailers love foot traffic but you're logic is flawed if you think people who go looking for a specific product will just automatically buy something else because the product they want isn't available. We aren't talking about something like milk or cereal where there's tons of choices. People looking for an SNES classic are looking for an SNES classic, period.

And throwing shade at Nintendo when this wasn't their fuckup just makes you seem bitter with comments like this.

And you too. How in the fuck can you say that this isn't Nintendo's fuck up? Are you even reading what you're writing? This is ABSOLUTELY on Nintendo. They know they have a hot product and retailers don't even know how much of said product they're going to get to sell. And Nintendo has a HISTORY of doing this! This is ABSOLUTELY their fuck up.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's easier to sell 10000 units to 1000 people than it is to sell and ship 10000 units to 10000 people and this is before setting up suppliers/manufacturering after the fact.

Generally, supply chains for like products for a company this well established are already in place long before the manufacturing process takes place. Companies purchasers bid for the right to purchase from a company like Nintendo and they have the right to or not to grant that purchasing right regardless of previous purchase history or Credit the company has for large purchases. Let's say we're talking about Walmart. If Walmart placed a bid for 10K units, and Nintendo agrees to it, they will get Walmart the product in accordance with their shipping agreement for bulk stock. Walmart has them sent to distribution centers, and it is up to the center to distribute the stock around Walmart stores and shipping. Nintendo aren't drop shipping them to people unless the item is sold directly from them. They also can set Street date agreements which a retailer cannot sell prior to ___ date. That's Nintendo's call, not Walmart's. Think of these 10k units as Nintendo selling a large quantity to a single customer. They are shipping to distro. centers, not individuals. Once at the center, that's Walmart's shipping, not Nintendo's.

Based on purchasing bids which are approved, Nintendo may wish to constrain supply to mitigate financial risk of products sitting on shelves by having fewer units produced. If said item was to be limited production, and street dated, that's on Nintendo. They made that call regardless of how many they could sell and at what retail cost. They would have to answer to shareholders IF that is how they have their financial structure set up. A company like Amazon.com pretty much can do what they want because Bezos has controlling stock in the company. Investors may not like it, but there's little they can do to stop him from using more of the company profits than they would like.

Bottom line here is that Nintendo is the one who created supply limitations, and whether or not pre-orders can be placed by however they designate it. It's Walmart's fault for making the button to order available even by accident, but it is Nintendo deciding that in the U.S., you can't pre-order, and good luck nabbing on in the stores.

Aske

Just sad. My GF wants to play Mario Kart so I feel like I'll be headed to ebay unless the gods smile on me and I'm online when they go on sale and sneak one in.

I'm in the same boat. I want a console my partners and other 30-something lapsed gamers will actually play with me; and I want to recapture the feeling I had when I bought my SNES with SF2 Turbo back when I was a kid. I feel like this should be something easy to pick up for casuals to toss in a Christmas stocking or whatever, not this precious, rare item that only the most hardcore will be hawkish enough to preorder, or desperate enough to buy from a scalper afterwards.

B.K.

I guess I'll just set aside a couple hundred dollars and get ready to buy one from a scalper on Ebay. I don't expect to ever see one in stores.

MrMephistoX

I guess I'll just set aside a couple hundred dollars and get ready to buy one from a scalper on Ebay. I don't expect to ever see one in stores.

Honestly if the SNES is as easy to hack as the Famicom Mini that's a decent way to avoid as big a markup. I bought mine from Japan for $117 and that included shipping. Still sucks on principle but I really wanted one and it was worth it to me after striking out so many times domestically. No way I'd pay upwards of $200 just to have the NES Classic.

B.K.

Honestly if the SNES is as easy to hack as the Famicom Mini that's a decent way to avoid as big a markup. I bought mine from Japan for $117 and that included shipping. Still sucks on principle but I really wanted one and it was worth it to me after striking out so many times domestically. No way I'd pay upwards of $200 just to have the NES Classic.

But the Super Famicom and European SNES are so ugly.

aadiboy

Retailers should really limit preorders to one per person. I mean, they're going to sell out anyway, so why not let more people get a chance at buying one so you get more customers? I really don't care if you're preordering for friends, let them take care of their own shit.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
All that needs to be said is that this is the only territory that this problem is happening to. It's Nintendo of America's fault with Reggie at the helm. Most excuse Reggie by saying that he can't dictate what happens because Nintendo Co., Ltd controls all decisions, but Japan and Europe clearly aren't having this problem.

chrono01

All that needs to be said is that this is the only territory that this problem is happening to. It's Nintendo of America's fault with Reggie at the helm. Most excuse Reggie by saying that he can't dictate what happens because Nintendo Co., Ltd controls all decisions, but Japan and Europe clearly aren't having this problem.
Actually, now that you mention it, I'm a little surprised that Japan hasn't opened up pre-ordered for the Super Famicom Classic either. I've been wanting to import one of those, just as I did the Famicom Classic, and (as far as I know) it's been available nowhere yet.

I JUST WANT TO PRE-ORDER ONE! Japanese, North American, I don't even care. Just take my money, Nintendo!

IMACOMPUTA

It'd be cool if Nintendo released the NES classic and SNES classic digitally on Switch. Launch the app and get the interface from the classic minis.

Given the wide controller support on switch, you could use 8bitdo bt controllers or just use the joycons for 2 players in a pinch.

This is such a good idea, there's no way Nintendo will do this :(

People will still go nuts for the hardware, and they'd basically get free money from the app sales on top of it.

chrono01

It'd be cool if Nintendo released the NES classic and SNES classic digitally on Switch. Launch the app and get the interface from the classic minis.

Given the wide controller support on switch, you could use 8bitdo bt controllers or just use the joycons for 2 players in a pinch.

This is such a good idea, there's no way Nintendo will do this :(

People will still go nuts for the hardware, and they'd basically get free money from the app sales on top of it.
If I were Nintendo, I'd release a box you connect to your TV that does nothing but play Virtual Console games, from the NES all the way up to the GCN (probably nothing more recent than that). Offer first-party controllers (NES/SNES/N64/GCN-styled) through retailers that you can connect to it to offer a more authentic gaming experience for the titles you're playing. Maybe make it a monthly service you can pay for to rent whatever you want, or a stand-alone service where you outright purchase the games.

I'd definitely be in-line for that.

Top Bottom