• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Scalpers getting those bots ready

giphy.gif

cordy

Banned
Yeah I gotta get a preorder for myself and my little brother needs one as well. If we can score those then we'll be good (given we're in 2 different households).

I took off of work just in case so if I can preorder one and use that day for something else then I'm straight.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Given the reception that the NES mini had, can we assume that Nintendo will produce enough SNES mini for everyone?

Erevador

Late this month. Does this mean there's no need to watch it like a hawk until, let's say August 15th at the earliest?

Perhaps that's just what they want us to believe...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Given the reception that the NES mini had, can we assume that Nintendo will produce enough SNES mini for everyone?

Given the low(ish) price point and the high demand coupled with the multitude of the NES Classic's bad supply chain decisions, Nintendo would have to seriously over-produce this system to exceed the demand put in place by scalpers.

For example - I've personally never seen a NES Classic outside of the one I pre-ordered that got delivered to me on release day. The spot on the shelf at every store I've ever visited sat empty until they day they moved things around so that it no longer had a shelf space. There are tons of people on GAF (a forum for gaming enthusiasts) that never got a chance to buy one aside from paying a huge markup to scalpers. The average consumer, even if they knew about it and wanted one, never had a chance. At my local grocery store, there were people lined up around the block over night on release day - and the store only received 2 units.

What I'm saying is that all this builds into an absolute frenzy of people wanting the SNES Classic because they know this is going to be the hot new thing for Christmas this year - and the scalpers know it as well. At $79.99 a pop, there are going to be large-scale eBay scalping operations that will happily pick up 1,000 or more units if they can get their hands on them. Nintendo is promising to deliver more units, which also means they'll be more readily available to scalpers.

Our only hope is that the SNES Classic IS actually readily available for purchase before Christmas, therefore removing the scalpers ability to mark these up so high. In the end, if there is enough stock, we could see people's eBay listings get down to or near retail (though, probably not below).

Making these units a "one time only, limited time offer" more or less guarantees that this won't happen though - because the smart scalpers will simply sit on them for a year or more and wait for the demand to go back up after Nintendo stops producing them.

commish

when someone creates a new thread 30 minutes after you post and then gives credit to CAG.

Interestingly enough, he's on my block list, and I think I've added 3 people in 10+ years to my block list. No idea why he's on there. Maybe a mistake.

WiseguyMVP

After this one they'll come out with the N64 version and a Wii version and then they'll release all the games on the eShop for people with the Switch. Yay!

jennetics

Just saw Wario64's tweet about Nintendo preorders.

This is good news right?

This could be good or bad news (probably more good).

aUbk9ha.gif

Either way, I have to remind myself to be neutral no matter the circumstance, less chance of disappointment on my end lol

Kadin

Just saw Wario64's tweet about Nintendo preorders.

This is good news right?
It's definitely good in the fact that they're going to at least do the preorders. Who knows how it will play out though and when they'll go live. So yeah, it's better than them just selling them at launch with no type of way to try to secure one before then.

zeemumu

This could be good or bad news (probably more good).

aUbk9ha.gif

Either way, I have to remind myself to be neutral no matter the circumstance, less chance of disappointment on my end lol

At worst I can camp out in front of one of the 3 targets or Wal-Mart's within a short distance from here

//ARCANUM

Given the low(ish) price point and the high demand coupled with the multitude of the NES Classic's bad supply chain decisions, Nintendo would have to seriously over-produce this system to exceed the demand put in place by scalpers.

For example - I've personally never seen a NES Classic outside of the one I pre-ordered that got delivered to me on release day. The spot on the shelf at every store I've ever visited sat empty until they day they moved things around so that it no longer had a shelf space. There are tons of people on GAF (a forum for gaming enthusiasts) that never got a chance to buy one aside from paying a huge markup to scalpers. The average consumer, even if they knew about it and wanted one, never had a chance. At my local grocery store, there were people lined up around the block over night on release day - and the store only received 2 units.

What I'm saying is that all this builds into an absolute frenzy of people wanting the SNES Classic because they know this is going to be the hot new thing for Christmas this year - and the scalpers know it as well. At $79.99 a pop, there are going to be large-scale eBay scalping operations that will happily pick up 1,000 or more units if they can get their hands on them. Nintendo is promising to deliver more units, which also means they'll be more readily available to scalpers.

Our only hope is that the SNES Classic IS actually readily available for purchase before Christmas, therefore removing the scalpers ability to mark these up so high. In the end, if there is enough stock, we could see people's eBay listings get down to or near retail (though, probably not below).

Making these units a "one time only, limited time offer" more or less guarantees that this won't happen though - because the smart scalpers will simply sit on them for a year or more and wait for the demand to go back up after Nintendo stops producing them.

This is a pretty great summary of the reality of this situation. I'm going to try my hardest to pre-order. Hell, I've even got an Amazon UK pre-order in for the Super Famicom Mini, but I have doubts that will go through. At this point, I'm just ready to pay $200 or whatever it will cost to some scalper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I'm sure that Nintendo will have 7 billion units ready this time around so that "everyone" can get one.

The thing is gonna sell out, but I suspect a situation more like how the Switch is now. Shipments every week that will sell out in the first few days of being shipped. If you put the effort into acquiring one, I'm sure you'll be able to find it at some point this year.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Oh by pre-orders, we mean at our Nintendo World Store location in NY!"

Really hope it's a good amount of retailers who'll have pre-orders open. Hoping for Amazon or GS so I can help pay off some of it via gift cards &/or trade-ins.

Really hope it's a good amount of retailers who'll have pre-orders open. Hoping for Amazon or GS so I can help pay off some of it via gift cards &/or trade-ins.

fine print: only the first 100 to line up are guaranteed.

Josh5890

My guess is that everyone but Amazon does pre-orders. They tend to wait until release day for these things. I would love to be wrong though

Yeah, I'm sure that Nintendo will have 7 billion units ready this time around so that "everyone" can get one.

The thing is gonna sell out, but I suspect a situation more like the switch is now. Shipments every week that will sell out in the first few days of being shipped. If you put the effort into acquiring one, I'm sure you'll be able to find it at some point this heart.

Nintendo needs to have like 5 million of these things ready to go in September, and a decent follow-up shipment probably mid November to carry them through the holidays. That would allow a fair number of people to acquire one without jumping through flaming hoops. After that, who knows.... they haven't committed to producing this past 2017, so they're already prepping you that this thing won't be around for long. 'Significantly' more units could be doubling production from the NES mini..... that still won't be enough. I have little doubt this thing could sell 10 million units in a year.

Nintendo needs to have like 5 million of these things ready to go in September, and a decent follow-up shipment probably mid November to carry them through the holidays. That would allow a fair number of people to acquire one without jumping through flaming hoops. After that, who knows.... they haven't committed to producing this past 2017, so they're already prepping you that this thing won't be around for long. 'Significantly' more units could be doubling production from the NES mini..... that still won't be enough. I have little doubt this thing could sell 10 million units in a year.
if they get those kinda numbers going I wonder if it'll appear in the NPD charts

commish

The thing is gonna sell out, but I suspect a situation more like how the Switch is now. Shipments every week that will sell out in the first few days of being shipped. If you put the effort into acquiring one, I'm sure you'll be able to find it at some point this heart.

If the guaranteed me that I would get one eventually, i.e., they are not going to discontinue it, then I wouldn't care if I got it at launch or six months later.

Top Bottom