• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

BB is trolling me now. The Pre-Order link is back, but my cart page has a notice that says:

**Heads up!** Nintendo - Entertainment System: SNES Classic Edition is currently out of stock. Please remove this item or save it for later.

One time I ordered Kingdom Hearts 3D CE and did in store pickup. Got there early that morning and decided to browse a bit before picking it up. Some idiot employee sold my CE to a guy who only ordered a regular edition. I was upset, but they gave me a $25 gift card and gave me 20% off on the normal edition so it was okay. Still, I wouldn't really wanna risk that again. I'm sure their system is much more reliable now, even though that was user error.

Online preorders for in store pick up are printed on tags and they get stuck to the item. And can only be scanned out under your card/account I believe. Pre orders that are done in store are kinda janky they put a sticky note with your name on it.

JayBabay

Don't they hold those in a separate area?

Bestbuy has been great for me with in store pre orders. Never had an issue with them.

One time I ordered Kingdom Hearts 3D CE and did in store pickup. Got there early that morning and decided to browse a bit before picking it up. Some idiot employee sold my CE to a guy who only ordered a regular edition. I was upset, but they gave me a $25 gift card and gave me 20% off on the normal edition so it was okay. Still, I wouldn't really wanna risk that again. I'm sure their system is much more reliable now, even though that was user error.

My local BB are very strict about pre-orders. They wouldn't even let casual people buy some Switches rhey had in the back of a cage because they were all pre-ordered with tags.

Yeah whenever I've ordered in store pickup, they've held it for me in a separate area behind customer service, filed in alphabetical bins by name. The only thing I'm worried about is if the system doesn't tell them to hold these until the morning they open, and if they did a midnight launch they might sell it as I likely wouldn't receive a "your order is ready for pickup" notification at 12am. You know what I mean?

mindatlarge

Spamming checkout for over 20 mins now. About to give up.
I was as well until I realized that I was just spamming checkout on an item that only gave an option to "save for later". I don't think spamming the checkout button will do anything when an item is in that state, with no shipping options and none selected.

jrcbandit

Nintendo and other retailers want to avoid scalper bots. This 10:30pm release was to prevent bots from ordering and not give scalpers more chance to buy multiple copies. The Master Sword Edition was also released at an ungodly time, so chances of Amazon releasing soon are high

Ah, I hope Amazon does learn from the error of their ways. The NES thing last year was completely bogus. I managed to get a BB order in, but would like an Amazon order to help out my friend with a newborn who isn't always able to immediately respond to any texts or twitter alerts to buy it.

I am happy for all that got one but seriously fuck you Best Buy and every retailer treating this item like it's not a hot item. I know I sound bitter, I am, but I really do hope these are real pre orders for everyone that got them.

Me last month: FUCK THAT! I'm not going to be some slave to my phone staying up all night hoping this randomly comes in stock.

Me tonight: F5, F5,.... ugh just 30 more minutes... ok one more hour.. F5....

Yeah whenever I've ordered in store pickup, they've held it for me in a separate area behind customer service, filed in alphabetical bins by name. The only thing I'm worried about is if the system doesn't tell them to hold these until the morning they open, and if they did a midnight launch they might sell it as I likely wouldn't receive a "your order is ready for pickup" notification at 12am. You know what I mean?

My switch order was ready for pick up the day of the midnight launch. I couldn't pick it up until midnight though. They prep items like this ahead of time.

I am happy for all that got one but seriously fuck you Best Buy and every retailer treating this item like it's not a hot item. I know I sound bitter, I am, but I really do hope these are real pre orders for everyone that got them.
Aren't there already Best Buy cancellations? Which is straight-up bullshit too, just like the Walmart fiasco earlier.

jrcbandit

Aren't there already Best Buy cancellations? Which is straight-up bullshit too, just like the Walmart fiasco earlier.

The cancellations are for people who ordered more than 2 using separate orders. Although I have heard some people with 3 haven't been cancelled, others who ordered 6+ all were cancelled except for 2, etc. So no real clarity on the cancellation of multiple orders thing.

DHz7HReUMAM5q1E.jpg:large

Above 2 orders, sure.

I had a Walmart preorder which makes me even more angry lol. i just hate the way this seems to be going down
Me too. Fuck Walmart. Anyone who preordered should get first dibs when they really do go up, but that won't happen.

Nintendo should also use that info to gauge how many to manufacture, but that also won't happen.

I've given up hope on getting this. I got lucky with an NES Classic on Amazon months after launch - lightning won't strike twice.

Me too. Fuck Walmart. Anyone who preordered should get first dibs when they really do go up, but that won't happen.

Nintendo should also use that info to gauge how many to manufacture, but that also won't happen.

I've given up hope on getting this. I got lucky with an NES Classic on Amazon months after launch - lightning won't strike twice.

Iam just saying it shouldn't be this way at all. I get it if you want the thing before Christmas I understand the hype but the fact Nintendo will pull the plug before you can get it normally will never not piss me off. Yeah I know Iam preaching to the biggest choir in the world

Iam just saying it shouldn't be this way at all. I get it if you want the thing before Christmas I understand the hype but the fact Nintendo will pull the plug before you can get it normally will never not piss me off. Yeah I know Iam preaching to the biggest choir in the world
Yeah, it's infuriating. Nintendo still operates their company like it's 1985. I love Nintendo, I love their games, but I have never actively rooted for them to go out of business until this past year. They're a dinosaur. An item should be available for preorder regardless, even if it takes months to fill all those preorders. I'd be happy clicking and forgetting about it, even if that means getting one after the holidays. Every other company and product operates that way. I'll never understand Nintendo's strategy, especially since the NES Classic ended up being discontinued - scalpers profited more than Nintendo did.

I'm not worried that Nintendo will not make enough SNES Classics. I'm far more worried they will keep making consoles like this and never make a real Virtual Console for the Switch.

Yeah, it's infuriating. Nintendo still operates their company like it's 1985. I love Nintendo, I love their games, but I have never actively rooted for them to go out of business until this past year. They're a dinosaur. An item should be available for preorder regardless, even if it takes months to fill all those preorders. I'd be happy clicking and forgetting about it, even if that means getting one after the holidays. Every other company and product operates that way. I'll never understand Nintendo's strategy, especially since the NES Classic ended up being discontinued - scalpers profited more than Nintendo did.

Ha, alright. Calm down, buddy.

lucius

I don't understand why if Nintendo just made more, (yes it have to be millions) but they are capable to meet demand can't they in the end make money from this and make everyone happy except scalpers.

I don't understand why if Nintendo just made more, (yes it have to be millions) but they are capable to meet demand can't they in the end make money from this and make everyone happy except scalpers.

Since they made more, the amount of buyers paying attention goes up exponentially.

Top Bottom