• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

AkumaNiko

So good news for anyone that had pre ordered from amazon UK, if your order is still up going to the US and it has a delivery date, you are golden. DO NOT change ANYTHING. I spoke to a rep, take it with a shovel of salt, and they said that they said orders still up now are going to get the Superior SNES classic by first week of OCT

So good news for anyone that had pre ordered from amazon UK, if your order is still up going to the US and it has a delivery date, you are golden. DO NOT change ANYTHING. I spoke to a rep, take it with a shovel of salt, and they said that they said orders still up now are going to get the Superior SNES classic by first week of OCT

Weird that Amazon UK is selling the NA model, but I'll take it!

wiibomb

how is it possible???

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE???? the ONLY retailer that I can order from (international gaf here) are from amazon and they fucking sold them at 3am???

WHY AMAZON????

I'm so mad right now

AkumaNiko

Weird that Amazon UK is selling the NA model, but I'll take it!

slow down cowboy, i said superior model, not clunky turd model

81dKE5hBovL._SL1500_.jpg

SeanPyle

Neo Member
Is it assumed that Best Buy and Amazon are done for the day, and that the only ones to go up (if any) will be the other retailers listed on the site?

Is it assumed that Best Buy and Amazon are done for the day, and that the only ones to go up (if any) will be the other retailers listed on the site?

Not to be rude, but how would we possibly know?

I love how my local Gamestop isn't even answering their phone right despite being open.

Probably tired of ignoring customers in the store to answer the same question on the phone over and over again.

Still the only email I have from Game is for my SNES confirmation email. Tried to check status and the website wants info like address but I'm scared to go through with it since I initially ordered with a US address.

This should mean I'm still golden right? They charged my bank account $1 months ago.

Good shit if true.

I'd say that new listing is smart
There are bots on the original snes classic listing so the minute it would go live, the bots would have snatched it up

When there's a new listing the bots won't work because they are focused on the other listing.

Best Buy might have gone fast due to bots

This happens with sneakers all the time

Gator86

It's almost like Nintendo could have opened preorders back in spring and produced product to meet expectations.

Nah, too easy.

Why would Nintendo do something competent like they're a multi-billion dollar company that's been around for decades? Fuck Nintendo.

ZeroCDR

I'd like to think Amazon will go up again on the proper link after axing the dozens of multiple orders.. but eh, Amazon has largely been shitty in relation to the NES Classic so I wouldn't be surprised if they save those for Prime Now nonsense.

Like,

This would solve so many problems. I guess they really want that scarcity hype.

Hype for what at this point? Switch is still on fire, and 3DS models fly off the shelf (last I checked).

This feels like pretty strong caution on their part with respect to potential VC releases. I'd imagine the Classics cut into that.

Thank god. I was hoping we would make it through. I would be furious if I didn't get one after going through the Danger Zone talking with Gaffers about important topics like Tom Cruise's perfect teeth.

Kusagari

I'm guessing Nintendo gave retailers the go ahead to officially start preorders on the 22nd and Amazon/BB just said "fuck it, we're getting almost none of these anyway" and threw them up in the dead of night.

Scrawnton

How come? Are physical GS stores even definitely gong to do pre-orders?

line outside my local gamestop

So is it Nintendo that decides the preorder times or the stores/sites themselves?
The SNES website on Nintendos site says preorder now at retailers. Gamestop just opened on the east coast. Mine isn't even answering the phone. I sent my wife to go try and preorder, I'll let you guys know what she tells me.

maxcriden

I'm guessing Nintendo gave retailers the go ahead to officially start preorders on the 22nd and Amazon/BB just said "fuck it, we're getting almost none of these anyway" and threw them up in the dead of night.

I agree with this, apart from the "getting almost none of these" part. Nintendo indicated supply will be much more plentiful than with NES classic. So, they may be only doing pre-orders on some but not all of their stock, and Amazon in particular will probably save some for prime and prime now customers.

br3wnor

Why would Nintendo do something competent like they're a multi-billion dollar company that's been around for decades? Fuck Nintendo.

You can’t blame Nintendo for the scalpers and ‘gifters’. The amount of money that was made off of the NES classic has professional scalpers planning to make a big chunk of their yearly income off of the SNES. They literally are waiting around all day every day for pre-orders to go up and trying to get as many orders in as humanly possible, the profit margin off of this thing on the secondary market is going to be bonkers (if demand isn’t met). And listen, I’d like to believe all of you but some people in this very thread are claiming to have ordered 5+ consoles to give away as gifts, which honestly if you can make $200+ profit off of each console you resell on eBay, I give you a lot of credit if you’re really going to just gift them.

So even if Nintendo ramped up production to 3 or 4 times the amount of NES’s they made, the anticipation that they WON’T ramp up production like that is causing all these early preorders to sell out in minutes. So in the end you don’t really know how much Nintendo has actually delievered on production since they’re only going to allow a % of their total stock to go to preorders. Come launch day you might walk into stores and see hundreds of these things on shelves and all will be well as scalpers quickly lose all their leverage.

Personally I think it’ll be more in the middle where Nintendo did make more SNES’s than NES’s but not enough to fill both scalper and actual buyer demand. Launch day will probably be a blood bath and there will be enough of these on the market were we see them going for $150-200 on eBay instead of the $300+ that will happen if the supply is the same as the NES was since this console is going to be even more popular.

Top Bottom