• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

maxcriden

The SNES website on Nintendos site says preorder now at retailers. Gamestop just opened on the east coast. Mine isn't even answering the phone. I sent my wife to go try and preorder, I'll let you guys know what she tells me.

Well we have this:

DH1j8mJUMAAL4Lq

Thank you both. For some reason I was under the impression there wouldn't be in-physical store preorders at GS. I was probably thinking of another product. I wonder if GameStop stores are really taking preorders just yet. I tried calling mine and they didn't pick up. Usually in the past I had thought there was some indication or announcement from GameStop themselves online.

Too lazy to make a new thread, outlets are putting their previews up

Game Informer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSQRPeEjS4

The Verge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3DiG7TMF0

Polygon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1gxnWI1s-Y

Was online briefly last night
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422110

Wow it looks like they fixed the 4:3 pixel doubling on this one! Fuck yeah! Now all I'm hoping is the epilepsy filter is either gone or done much differently!

Hype for what at this point? Switch is still on fire, and 3DS models fly off the shelf (last I checked).

This feels like pretty strong caution on their part with respect to potential VC releases. I'd imagine the Classics cut into that.

Someone casual who wants a $80 trip down memory lane isn't going to rush out and buy a $300 Switch, and then fork out $8 per game on top of that, just to serve the intended purpose of the $80 device, which is a trip down memory lane. I mean there's some crossover, but they're two different markets. I must have about 6 different devices that I can load up with every SNES ROM in existence for free, plus a Wii, 3ds and Switch( had a Wii U, sold it). Accessibility of the games isn't driving the frenzy for these mini consoles.

So good news for anyone that had pre ordered from amazon UK, if your order is still up going to the US and it has a delivery date, you are golden. DO NOT change ANYTHING. I spoke to a rep, take it with a shovel of salt, and they said that they said orders still up now are going to get the Superior SNES classic by first week of OCT
I just changed payment method, am i screwed?

maxcriden

Just got off the phone with my local GameStop. They are not yet taking preorders in store. He was told a special announcement is coming later (it sounded like he meant later today) but at this time no preorders are being given in physical stores.

cordy

Banned
If that weird Amazon link with the GameTrust blank screen was real when I got my preorder in in time since I was up 5hrs ago.

If not then I missed out.

mindatlarge

You can’t blame Nintendo for the scalpers and ‘gifters’. The amount of money that was made off of the NES classic has professional scalpers planning to make a big chunk of their yearly income off of the SNES. They literally are waiting around all day every day for pre-orders to go up and trying to get as many orders in as humanly possible, the profit margin off of this thing on the secondary market is going to be bonkers. And listen, I’d like to believe all of you but some people in this very thread are claiming to have ordered 5+ consoles to give away as gifts, which honestly if you can make $200+ profit off of each console you resell on eBay, I give you a lot of credit if you’re really going to just gift them.

So even if Nintendo ramped up production to 3 or 4 times the amount of NES’s they made, the anticipation that they WON’T ramp up production like that is causing all these early preorders to sell out in minutes. So in the end you don’t really know how much Nintendo has actually delievered on production since they’re only going to allow a % of their total stock to go to preorders. Come launch day you might walk into stores and see hundreds of these things on shelves and all will be well as scalpers quickly lose all their leverage.

I think it’ll be more in the middle where Nintendo did make more SNES’s than NES’s but not enough to fill both scalper and actual buyer demand. Launch day will probably be a blood bath and there will be enough of these on the market were we see them going for $150-200 on eBay instead of the $300+ that will happen if the supply is the same as the NES was since this console is going to be even more popular.
When people say "gifting" I just assume they are reselling anyways for the most part. Kinda like when people claim they legally dumped every ROM they own from a cartridge in their collection. To each their own though.

dock

I hate that it was so easy to get a SNES preorder in the UK, and it is so hard to get one in USA. :( It is very unfair. Good luck, everyone.

I never thought being a UK SNES fan would ever become an advantageous position.

Saganator

Sucks, I want to check out the previews and stuff but it's just going to make me more annoyed that I probably won't be able to get one without being scalped.

Just got off the phone with my local GameStop. They are not yet taking preorders in store. He was told a special announcement is coming later (it sounded like he meant later today) but at this time no preorders are being given in physical stores.

Awesome! Thanks for checking!

br3wnor

br3wnor is calling y'all ppl who bought the console for friends right out lol

I’m just saying it’s not helping the stock situation if you have people preordering 5 of these things, even if they are meant as gifts. I also don’t think every person who bulk ordered saying theyr’e all gifts is going to ignore $200+ profit if eBay allows, I know I’d be tempted.

Nintendo is such a shitty company.
They're not a bad company, but they don't handle situations like this in the best manner in my opinion. They seen the demand for the NES and produced it more than they initially said they would (even though they still didn't meet overall demand).

I didn't get a NES even though I really wanted one, and I probably won't get a SNES even though I really want one, but I still won't think they're an overall terrible company. Although my brain wants me to sometimes lol.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Was there a new thread made to announce that U.S. pre-orders had started? I feel kinda let down by GAF here.

Yes. There was a thread within a minute of them going up for preorder. Besides, if you/re just relying on a GAF post to get them, then you're doing it wrong.

molnizzle

Yes. New thread, and more.

Yes, there was a thread for each retailer.

there were a couple

Damn. Not sure how I missed that.

Yes. There was a thread within a minute of them going up for preorder. Besides, if you/re just relying on a GAF post to get them, then you're doing it wrong.

I had Wario64 alerts set up for like 3 weeks, but a man can only deal with his phone vibrating every 5 minutes for so long.

I happen to be on twitter last night and saw the tweet from Wario about Best Buy pre orders. I wasn't really planning on getting one but thought what the hell. So I guess I'll have mine next month.

Ferulci

Why would Nintendo do something competent like they're a multi-billion dollar company that's been around for decades? Fuck Nintendo.

I'm absolutely appalled by how they handle the situation. I cannot think of any other company that would act like this.

I never even got a notification email and I signed up for notifications.

Oh well.

Guess I'm stuck with my UK pre-order.

If they ever actually ship it to me.

They're not a bad company, but they don't handle situations like this in the best manner in my opinion. They seen the demand for the NES and produced it more than they initially said they would (even though they still didn't meet overall demand).

I didn't get a NES even though I really wanted one, and I probably won't get a SNES even though I really want one, but I still won't think they're an overall terrible company. Although my brain wants me to sometimes lol.

I can forgive them for the NES classic. I can believe that they truly didn't know how much the demand would be.

If the same thing happens for the SNES, they are a terrible company.

All it shows is that they want to create hype and have people line up at the Nintendo store for months every single day trying to get one. It creates headlines when a product is driving people to go that far.

This isn't some high tech next gen device that is hampered by production issues.

It's just Nintendo being Nintendo. Shitty.

Top Bottom