• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Erekiddo

How's Best Buy's tendency to cancel preorders in the past? Managed to get one last night, but after being unable to secure another this afternoon, I'm weary.

Coketruck

I managed to get one, but holy crap this is ridiculous. At least with the NES Classic, people didn't realize how limited it would be, so I and others were able to get one by showing up at stores the moment they opened on release day... No chance of that happening this time.

Nintendo really needs to get their shit together.

I never expected Nintendo to "learn"

But this is absolute horse shit. I was lucky I was awake last night when the BB order went up, but many people here in the US were asleep.

Nintendo should have taken preorders when they announced the thing to gauge how much they should make. Then do another round of preorders closer to release and then put the remaining stock in stores etc.

They do this shit on purpose.

There's a very easy way NoA could handle this, but they'll never do it, because reasons.

Open up pre-orders on their website for 24 hours 3-4 months in advance. Limit 1 per customer. You must put down a $100 deposit immediately (heck, make it larger if need be). You'll get $20 of it back a week after the item ships. Don't stop taking pre-orders until the 24 hour period is over. Send any remaining stock to retailers on the day of launch.

They won't do this, because they don't actually care.

shandy706

Yep same. Fuck Nintendo. If 100 units per store was the allotment each retailer got, that means they shipped less than 1000 of these to the US. How can you be so fucking dense?

Uhhhh....

There are 1,789 Targets in the US.

There are 3,273 Walmarts in the US...

There are 4,434 Gamestops in the US..

etc...etc..

Math??

Nydius

AAFES is taking preorders instore at Navy and Marine Corps exchanges. Doubt it is usable by the majority here but if you know anyone in the Navy or USMC they might be able to help you out.

Or any military dependent really. So long as someone has dependent level access to the BX/PX, they can use AAFES stores on nearly any military installation (or online).

BigPete

Target got really buggy and made me re-enter a bunch of stuff that was already on file in my acct. it let me get to review order and then removed it from my cart and sent me to the home page.

Couldn't even get GameStop to load.

Walmart was gone instantly

No SNES for me. :(

So my GameStop knows they are allocated 9, but it won't let them preorder it yet.

Are they doing something wrong? They have the SKU in their system now but it won't let them preorder it. Any suggestions from anyone that has had success in store?

BriGuy

Well, like I said earlier, I have all of these games except Starfox 2, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it gets ripped and thrown up on an emulator site within about two weeks of launch. I don't condone stealing, but I'm at the point where I think Nintendo owes us for putting us through this shit.

Everything confirmed with Wal-Mart, and then poof.

Gone. GS site is fucked/nothing when you do get in.

TRU doesn't have a listing (yet).

Amazon and BB were last night.

Good god. It's like they value the hype over the money.

OmegaFax

Guys, I thought Nintendo learned from the NES Classic and would have way more stock!?

They turned a deaf ear and padded their initial announcement of the SNES Classic with "we're making more" as a throwaway line. Nintendo is just doing business as usual.

They claim there will be higher supply but the potential problems with that is that A) AFAIK we have no idea what that means. How much more? and B) it's possible the demand for hte SNES will be even higher. Even though the NES sold more in it's prime, the SNES seems to hit the nostalgia spot of current consumers even more so. It's like right in the millennial childhood wheelhouse.

That, and scalpers are acutely aware of the resell potential even moreso than with the NES classic.

How's Best Buy's tendency to cancel preorders in the past? Managed to get one last night, but after being unable to secure another this afternoon, I'm weary.

They came through when I preordered the Switch, so I have high hopes.

I'll probably pick it up at midnight, assuming my BB has a midnight launch

Walmart and Target both yanked mine out of my cart at payment... multiple times. Screw Nintendo. I'm done with this crap. I shouldn't have live on twitter refreshing over and over again at work.

So my GameStop knows they are allocated 9, but it won't let them preorder it yet.

Are they doing something wrong? They have the SKU in their system now but it won't let them preorder it. Any suggestions from anyone that has had success in store?
If it's anything like when I worked there, they are waiting for other employees or friends to preorder first. I worked the Wii launch and if you weren't an employee or friend you didn't preorder a Wii.

Yep same. Fuck Nintendo. If 100 units per store was the allotment each retailer got, that means they shipped less than 1000 of these to the US. How can you be so fucking dense?

giphy.gif

What?

Guess I'm pinning my hopes now on Amazon actually shipping my UK SNES Classic despite their product page claiming they couldn't. I apologize for having to jack an order from our friends across the pond, but NoA and U.S. retailers are dicks.

Pretty sure the same thing happens when you try to buy amiibos from amazon UK

Edit: covered

Dalto11

Yay let's do in store preorders during regular work hours across the US ._.

Fucking fantastic. I had my 2 removed during the checkout time on target. And the other two went up while I was asleep this morning. What a fucking mess.

XenoRaven

I was told the same thing at mine.

guyssorry

Would it be reasonable to expect stores to have some non-preorder stock available on release day? I might just try that instead of this constant waiting and failing.

Top Bottom