• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I seriously do not understand why they can't just make a fuckton of these things?

Nintendo must really really hate money.

Boylamite

Microplay comes through again! After checking amazon.ca, bestbuy.ca and ebgames.ca.... I called my local microplay and they took my pre order over the phone.

Yeah I think I've given up hope on getting a US version. The Target experience was soul crushing.

Happened to me at both Wal-Mart and Target today. I was literally there within seconds of both pre-orders going live and got nothing. I've never been this frustrated about buying something ever.

Got 2 on Best Buy last night. Slept through Amazon. Struck out on Target and Wal-Mart. Sped to Gamestop to get my 3rd reserved. Phone was going crazy while I was there.

Cartoonic

Neo Member
Just wanted to drop in and say I love my gamestop.

But their systems are all jacked and taking forever to load the preorders in.

Apparently everyone forgot that play-Asia is supposedly going to have pre-orders as well. I don’t have high hopes for that going well, but keep an eye out just in case.

Play-asia is gonna scalp you to hell and back. Plus, their shipping isn't exactly cheap. Still, better than ebay probably.

cordy

Banned
At least there are plenty of Sega Genesis Classics.

giphy.gif

Had 2 in my cart at Target. Only meant to put in 1, but I wasn't about to chance correcting it. Went to checkout, and I was signed out. Went to sign in and it didn't recognize my email. Went to create an account, and my email was already attached. By the time my account loaded, both were pulled from my cart and it was sold out. Absolutely infuriating.

Balb

Inept like a FOX...like someone else said earlier they care more about the Hype than the number of units sold.

Hype only makes sense when you end up selling more units in the end. They completely fucked up the NES Classic and left a lot of money on the table.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Inept like a FOX...like someone else said earlier they care more about the Hype than the number of units sold.

In a supply demand equation, you want to have just enough supply to be slightly lower than the demand, to keep demand up. In Nintendo's case, they have demand through the roof, and supply for 15 people.

That's how you leave millions on the table.

MechaX

I have a GameStop close to home, but I am at work.

Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo is just the living personification of spite.

Zakkath

Just called my local EB Games in Quebec and this is gonna suck for everyone living here. From the store manager himself :

"It will not be possible to buy the SNES Mini in the Quebec province because some games were originally available in french, but the SNES Mini only contains the english version of those, thus preventing the console to be sold in Qc."

FUCK !

Just called my local EB Games in Quebec and this is gonna suck for everyone living here. From the store manager himself :

"It will not be possible to buy the SNES Mini in the Quebec province because some games were originally available in french, but the SNES Mini only contains the english version of those, thus preventing the console to be sold in Qc."

FUCK !

That's harsh.

If Switch had a VC and they released Star Fox 2 on it, I'd just let this one go.

But nope.

It's going to be awesome if Switch never has a robust VC and Nintendo's reasoning is because their Classic consoles are meant to fill that void.

The Ummah

Banned
Goddamnit, why not just make enough for everybody to purchase one and be happy? All this extra shit is unnecessary. Should've learned my lesson last year. About to go through my post history and laugh at myself right now for falling for this again.

Edit: At work, so I can't go to a GameStop near me to pre-order. So smad. Sad and mad.

Madame M

Banned

FUCK !

This is hilarious

DrStiles

Got the 2nd to last one at my GameStop. People were literally running through the mall into the store to a pre order in. This whole ordeal is madness

ChrisD

local Gamestop's computer hasn't updated yet
other Gamestop won't answer their phone
mall Gamestop is saying I'm flat out calling the wrong number

I got mine through Best Buy last night, but my Uncle left his card here this morning so I could lock one in for him if possible, since he'll be at work all day.

This is annoying me. Calling people shouldn't be difficult. :/

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
if I people knew Nintendo wouldn't just discontinue snes classic llike the NES classic, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Shit company

I played this game the last time with the NES Classic, and while I got one, it frustrated the hell out of me. I'm not even trying this time. I'm just going to do a RetroPie and say fuck it.

a916

Goddamnit, why not just make enough for everybody to purchase one and be happy? All this extra shit is unnecessary. Should've learned my lesson last year. About to go through my post history and laugh at myself right now for falling for this again.

Nintendo doesn't think like that

the argument for them intentionally understocking these things is that it creates hype around the Nintendo brand, that they can then somehow translate over to Switch/3DS. I'm not entirely sure that's true (though this SNES debacle is testing that), I mean, if that were the case wouldn't it make sense to then do a 2nd run like in Feb/March after the Xmas hype? I think it's possible they are just wholly and stubbornly incompetent regarding these mini consoles and have no desire to actually meet demand. They stubbornly see these as limited edition items and that's it.

In line at GameStop Copley Place in Boston. Line is at capacity (around 10 people); turning people away. Systems haven't been refreshed in store yet so we're all just waiting for the computers to update. This is ridiculous.

Top Bottom