• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite V2 |OT| Throwin' Rocks, Shootin' Cocks

GamesRadar gives it a 8 (X360) http://www.gamesradar.com/sniper-elite-v2-review/?page=1
Yes, Sniper Elite V2 is a game in which, through an x-ray kill-cam, you can see a man’s testicles explode from the force of a high-velocity sniper rifle round. But the sooner you giggle that imagery out of your system, the sooner you’ll realize that such silliness is in stark contrast to the realism and quality that this game exhibits. It’s not always the most polished game, but overall, it’s a pleasantly fun surprise.
ibsq58DVDx2r2g.png

RoylAsult

ive been playing the game for about a hour and a half and its pretty enjoyable. My one complaint is the random spawned enemies once you pass a certain point. in can get kinda annoying but whatevs.

But overall its a nice game, its something a little different and enjoyable.

RoylAsult

im enjoying the game and im almost done with it. if anyone is interested i currently have the game up for sale on Amazon for 40 (without case). Going to finish it tonight so i can ship it out tomorrow. Pm me for link or search (PS3) lol

EXGN

im enjoying the game and im almost done with it. if anyone is interested i currently have the game up for sale on Amazon for 40 (without case). Going to finish it tonight so i can ship it out tomorrow. Pm me for link or search (PS3) lol

How long is it?

Xater

I was sold on the game after the demo and I have not been disappointed. On Sniper Elite this game is a blast.

I was sold on the game after the demo and I have not been disappointed. On Sniper Elite this game is a blast.

it is, I play it slowly, timing my shots, scouting the areas, setting traps etc. I understand this kind of game is not for everyone but I am really digging it.

abuC

The game is really annoying on Sniper elite level, I need to account for gravity, wind and am using a scope but the enemies with their inaccurate non-scoped MGs can hit me from the same distance while they're on the run?

Haunted

The game is really annoying on Sniper elite level, I need to account for gravity, wind and am using a scope but the enemies with their inaccurate non-scoped MGs can hit me from the same distance while they're on the run?
Yes? With several people spraying bullets at you repeatedly it's not hard to believe you'd get hit by stray one.

In-game explanations aside, the game's AI is pretty bad and probably gets some sort of aiming advantage on the higher difficulties, there's no denying it. The best option is probably not to get discovered in the first place. >_>

abuC

Yes? With several people shooting at you repeatedly it's not hard to believe you'd get hit by stray bullets.

In-game explanations aside, the game's AI is pretty bad and probably gets some sort of aiming advantage on the higher difficulties, there's no denying it. The best option is probably not to get discovered in the first place. >_>

Several people? More like one or two guys, I've had many instances where a guy with an MG was able to hit me from a ridiculous distance before I could even line up my scope on them.

RS4-

It isn't bad, there aren't many moments in the game where you're more than 200m away from someone so you don't have to take that long to get your aiming down when you drop someone closer than that.

And by the time guys are actually running at you, you don't really have to take wind into account or leading shots as they're going straight at you.

The AI and spawn system are just bad.

Eurogamer - 6 (PC) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-03-sniper-elite-v2-review

This is not a sophisticated game in ethos or execution: it's a series of environments in which you shoot men's balls off in slow motion. But this singular calling is, on the whole, well served, and Sniper Elite V2's perfunctory ancillary mechanics don't distract from the practice of cinematic Nazi gelding. Rebellion knows the extent of its capabilities and has set its ambitions just within them. If you can't exactly praise it, then at least you can say that, for a sniping game, a narrow focus is rather apt.

jet1911

Finished the game tonight and I had a lot of fun. It's far from a perfect game but I liked it for what it is. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun when you're not on a team full of TKers. It's a lot more tense than the SP.

Xater

I am stuck. I have to eliminate a Russian sniper team to finish the mission but I guess I can't find the last one. I killed five of them so far. I am running around the bombed streets but no one is shooting at me so I have no idea where someone is still hiding.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I am stuck. I have to eliminate a Russian sniper team to finish the mission but I guess I can't find the last one. I killed five of them so far. I am running around the bombed streets but no one is shooting at me so I have no idea where someone is still hiding.

There is a dude wayyy in a tower to the left if you are facing the building where your objective had been.

geebee

Banned
Played the X360 demo yesterday and was blown away. I love those x-ray kill cams and sound effects.. especially the sound of the bullet going through a soldier's helmet. I also have a PS3, but not sure which version to get. Is it safe to assume X360 version is the better console version since PC was the lead platform?

If I ever do get a PC decent enough to run this game, I hope someone has made a Golgo 13 mod by then..

RoylAsult

finished this game earlier this morning in under 5 hours, including the Hitler DLC. pretty cool game overall. I enjoyed it but i sold it back because there isnt much to do afterwards. Im not a fan of going through every inch of a level to find little collectibles that dont do anything and im not going to play this game online when Max Payne and Ghost Recon are right around the corner.

Honestly, i would wait a few weeks when this game hits 20 in Amazon to get it. i did enjoy it but there isnt much lasting appeal for me at least.

Sethos

Banned
Damn, my thoughts on this game turned sour after a long ass co-op session with my friend.

- First there's the linearity. We said to ourselves, as we sneaked into the base during the second level, "This isn't too bad, don't see what people are on about". Fast forward 3-4 levels and we're ready to rip the hairs off our chest in boredom. It's so god damn linear, so on-rails. We can't even do any tag-teaming in co-op because we constantly have to be right next to each other to no get hit with the "Waiting for the other player" message, areas getting magically closed off etc. Levels are so tiny and commando-raid focused, some of them barely look like a sniper based map.

- The AI. Holy shit what a mess. First few levels we took it slow, avoided getting spotted, lots of crawling and firing when there's noise going on. We made a few mistakes and quickly learned, the AI is utterly terrible. We had killed around 8 guards and piled them up in an area, a guard spots one of them on his patrol - What happens? He constantly walks between the piles in different areas and constantly utters something in German, "Was ist passiert?" and then on to the next pile. Never doing anything, never going into alert mode or alerting anyone.

So at that point we discovered being sneaky was a pointless waste of time.

BUT, at the same time it's the usual god-tier AI that will spot a sniper 3 miles away in a church tower at night, then they fire a burst with their super-accurate MP40 and actually hit you - That means on higher difficulty levels, you are close to death when they hit you with that burst.

- It's Call of Sniper Elite v2: World Warfare. It's a complete joke, the fastest, most efficient way of getting through a level? Complete Rambo. Run and gun, going twitch Counter-strike on its ass. So many moments where we WANT to sneak, want to be stealthy but the developers purposely made a setup that requires action.

Oh here's a Tiger tanks, oh well just snipe the fuel cap off the external tanks ( Which didn't actually exist on the Tiger tank in that form ) and it'll blow up ... Yeah sure. "Oh you loved that didn't you?" No ... "Okay then! here's 3 more".

Are we getting some sweet counter-sniping action with that line sniper in a tower, just ready to pick us off? No. We're getting 83 snipers placed in every nook and cranny of the map(s). Just a complete cover fest because you know there's a shedload of these god damn snipers you need to kill. Oh and can you spot many of these snipers beforehand? Not really. As some of them are trigger spawns whilst others sit quietly behind their walls where you can't see them until you peak your head out, then them magical AI takes over and they pop up everywhere and take superman shots at you.

It's all just explosions, cheesy cutscenes, lots of action and pew pew pew.

- Technical aspect. While the game runs smooth and we haven't had any crashes, still a slight problem in co-op, two actually. One is, when I get one of the fast-motion bullet cams my friend's game will sort of micro-stutter in some cases - Not good when you need to double tag somebody. Oh and we got to one of the last levels, decided to take a break. We get back and there's only 'unlocked' maps up to the flaktower ( Which I believe are open per default ). So we lost 2-3 levels of progress. We then decided to start from the flaktower again, got to the end, I walked into the cutscene and my friend got disconnected apparently. Went back out to the lobby and next level still isn't available - We gave up.

When even co-op isn't fun, you don' goofed.

Game is quite frankly ... shit.

I had an incredible experience with BIA:HH, what were the complaints?

I did play on PC and I was into the over-arching narrative so I probably dodged a couple.
Played on PC as well. Coming from the older BiA it was such a step back for me, managing your squad wasn't necessary any more, levels felt constrained and linear, probably to appeal to the more mainstream crowd.

Seems the situation for SE1-SE2 is the same.

Having played a few campaign missions, my impressions so far are that while the actual sniping are excellent (more shooters need to have a ballistics model like this), the actual level design is pretty lackluster in places. Some of the missions are fun, usually the ones that are more open and give you more scope to do things your way, but all too often they put you in a narrow corridor full of enemies.

The competitive MP, on the other hand, has been a shit-ton of fun so far. I've played a few rounds of Team Distance King, where the score is determined by the range you kill enemies at, rather than the number of kills. The maps are bizarrely more open than their SP counterparts, but it works well. The binoc tagging makes teamwork really satisfying as well.

Rebellion should have delayed the game, not just for the sake of polish, but to add proper MP to the console versions.

Sethos

Banned
What is it with this pile of shit game, why can't we continue where we left off in Co-op or where my partner gets disconnected? Last level we can select is always that shitty Flak Tower.

RS4-

What is it with this pile of shit game, why can't we continue where we left off in Co-op or where my partner gets disconnected? Last level we can select is always that shitty Flak Tower.

Lol yeah pretty much why I didn't even bother with co-op.

Now, if this game was MP only for like $15, I'd do it without hesitation.

Sethos

Banned
The Russian sniper mission wasn't so bad. What are your complaints?

Oh the tunnel section where a trillion enemies came running at you like headless chicken, straight out of a bad Call of Duty level or the magically spawning snipers everywhere once you trigger them?

FStop7

Banned
I made a blind purchase on this game. It should be here soon. It sounds like it's a lot of fun and I love games that do the whole "x-ray" thing, and that involve strategic shooting. Seems like it's gonna be awesome.

Gileadxv

Banned
Oh the tunnel section where a trillion enemies came running at you like headless chicken, straight out of a bad Call of Duty level or the magically spawning snipers everywhere once you trigger them?

Yeah, the magic portal snipers are the worst -- especially on Elite difficulty. I would end up having to memorize their positions, but they wouldn't appear until after you hit an invisible trigger. This removes a lot of the tactical play, as you quickly learn that just because you cleared an area, or a catwalk is empty doesn't mean it's going to stay that way a couple seconds from now. It's telling when the best strategy for countering enemy snipers is to allow yourself to be shot to draw them out and shoot them. Enemy snipers have preternatural awareness, and I have often seen them turn a 180, lock on and get a shot off on me before they have even finished raising their rifle. All the while I was laying prone, in a darkened building 200 meters away, and not having raised any alarms.

I've enjoyed the game, and beaten it a couple of times (it's fairly short), but the horrendous AI truly cripples what could be an amazing game. And as satisfying as it may be to pull off a perfect shot from 250 meters away, while compensating for wind and gravity, some of the achievement is diminished when a standard foot soldier using a mass produced SMG is able to peg me with multiple rounds while they're on the move from the same distance.

Another missed opportunity is the ability to engage in psychological warfare. Anyone who has ever played a multiplayer shooter knows the fear and tension a well hidden sniper brings. In Sniper Elite, if the enemy hasn't immediately locked onto your position (which is amazing considering the plethora of bombed out buildings and nooks and crannies that make up the environments), then often times they'll just stand there or patrol around the dead body...even if there are multiple corpses littering that spot. The lack of fear or tension breaks the illusion the game is attempting to create.

As I've said, I've enjoyed the game for what it is, although I would have preferred to wait for a $10-15 sale. The shooting mechanics -- at least for the rifles (the machine guns are pretty drab), and to a lesser extent the silenced pistol, are satisfying; and the carnage each bullet brings is an audio and visual spectacle (although it's baffling how I can shoot one enemy and see an xray of the bullet shattering a femur, or separating a shoulder blade, yet sometimes I can shoot a guy 3 or 4 times, and he doesn't miss a beat). I would love to see an expansion or sequel to this game that takes the fundamental rifle play and marries it with actual AI. The counter-sniper levels gave me flashbacks to the horrendous sniper level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which for a long while has been the bastion of horrendous/cheating AI within my experience of gaming. I don't know if Sniper Elite V2 tops it, but it certainly comes close at points.

Choc

Banned
hi guys i got this on steam and preordered

i have the hitler dlc says steam but i can't find it in the mission list in game (i have finished the game)

little help ? :)

In the demo im having a hard time differentiating how one makes a kill cam shot. I know head shots generally are cam'd but I've seen videos of people doing pelvic shots and tibia shots etc.

Though I did have two amazing shots I wished I could have youtubbed. I shot a guy while he was bent down and the bullet ripped through his stomach and then it x-rayed to another soldiers foot (who was right behind him) completely messing up his toes.

- another time I lined up three enemy soldiers and it ripped through all three of them, but only killed two.

In the demo im having a hard time differentiating how one makes a kill cam shot. I know head shots generally are cam'd but I've seen videos of people doing pelvic shots and tibia shots etc.

Though I did have two amazing shots I wished I could have youtubbed. I shot a guy while he was bent down and the bullet ripped through his stomach and then it x-rayed to another soldiers foot (who was right behind him) completely messing up his toes.

- another time I lined up three enemy soldiers and it ripped through all three of them, but only killed two.

I think it's partially random, and partially based on some sort of "point" system. In the final game you can actually increase or decrease the likelihood of a killcam occurring.

Top Bottom