• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite V2 |OT| Throwin' Rocks, Shootin' Cocks

Haunted

Came in here wanting to rip on this review, but... can't. It makes a solid case. Complaints about missed potential, AI issues and technical jank are probably enough to give this one its "below average" verdict (remember, EDGE 4 is roughly a 7-7.5 at other publications).

I still liked the demo, but I have to echo the fears about the AI. I couldn't get it to behave consistently. Sometimes they seem acutely aware of where I am immediately, sometimes they act like headless chicken - without me having changed my tactics in any significant way.

Ichabod

Banned
Here's a tasty youtube comment for the OP, lol:
PpAfr.png

I want this game.

Interesting discrepency between those two reviews, although I've never heard of JoyViews. (putting them up now) The only thing that irked me about the Edge review was the near non-mention of the MP, and referring to the absence of a competitive multiplayer mode, when the PC version has one.

It also seems 505 Games has dropped the ball with the NA retail release, what with the news about getting copies in mid-May.

Here's a tasty youtube comment for the OP, lol:
PpAfr.png

I want this game.

1)I'm vaguely interested in this game because I enjoyed the first one.

2)An OT exists for this game because it must. I'm not telling people it's the greatest game of all time.

2)There is little or no hype for this game on neoGAF, and the writer of that youtube comment needs to:

lyLDQ.gif

naib

Well, the 1st one didn't review well either and it's a classic in my book.

Hope it doesn't suck 'cause I have it preloaded and ready to play at home. :D

edit: well, I guess the fist one reviewed better than I remember.

RS4-

Just finished the game on sniper elite. Took me about 10 hours. I can imagine it being maybe a sub 5 hour game on your second play through.

Don't expect anything for an ending though lol.

Just finished the game on sniper elite. Took me about 10 hours. I can imagine it being maybe a sub 5 hour game on your second play through.

Don't expect anything for an ending though lol.

Did you play the first one? If so, how do you compare them?

This game is going to be another Velvet Assassin type game for me in that I will love it at around the $10 mark. Really enjoyed the demo though.

naib

I swore I saw some killcams with lone testes. This is preposterous!

Add me on Steam for scoreboards and maybe some MP.
Steam ID - deflorist

RS4-

Did you play the first one? If so, how do you compare them?

Didn't unfortunately; last sniper game I played was that trainwreck Sniper Ghost Warrior 1 lol.

As with some of the reviews that mention the AI; they're not that good, even on sniper elite.

- shoot someone that is right next to another and they won't react at times
- enemies spot you and get a few shots off before dying and again, sometimes the guy next to them won't do anything
- enemies spot you from across the map, sometimes they don't

So yeah, the AI is inconsistent.

I watched my brother attempt the Hitler mission using the springfield, he didn't have too much fun until he got Hitler after 40 or so minutes lol.

Get Games just sent me my Steam Key which is a much quicker turn around than I had thought. I thought I'd have to wait till the 4th. So I'm pretty stoked to play when I get back. Gotta take the wifey to the hospital for a boob exam! After that I'm shooting balls off all day! Anyone who picks it up on PC wanna give Co-Op a shot in a few hours? "Shoot" me a PM.

newsguy

History channel just had a 2 hour show called Sniper: Bulletproof. If that didn't make the wait brutal nothing will. Awesome little special.

haven't really read any of the reviews yet, but after playing the PC version for a couple of hours, I love it. I've had a crash or two, but the game is so damn fun. I really, really dig the pace of this.

yeah, there's some jank, but whatever.

Just got the ear plugs achievement. That was a definitely awesome moment. Only on 2nd mission. I like how I can choose my load out before the mission. Love the trip wire grenades. I got rid of the dynamite so I can have 2 tripwires.

Would love to try the co op. Hit me up on steam if anyone wants to give it a go. Steam Username: Krappadizzle.

IMACOMPUTA

Get Games just sent me my Steam Key which is a much quicker turn around than I had thought. I thought I'd have to wait till the 4th. So I'm pretty stoked to play when I get back. Gotta take the wifey to the hospital for a boob exam! After that I'm shooting balls off all day! Anyone who picks it up on PC wanna give Co-Op a shot in a few hours? "Shoot" me a PM.

Boobs and balls! Excellent post!

Shopto's just shipped my order. Anyone know what happens if you install a steamworks game prior to release? I'm assuming you can install it, but can't activate it until the day of release. I can't remember the last time I bought a retail steamworks game...

McLovin

Games crazy in the demo I shot some dudes nuts off... Literally... It showed his nuts being shoot off. I also made a guy explode. I'm guessing I hit his grenade?

haikira

Shopto's just shipped my order. Anyone know what happens if you install a steamworks game prior to release? I'm assuming you can install it, but can't activate it until the day of release. I can't remember the last time I bought a retail steamworks game...

Aye. Exactly as you put it. Unless you use a proxy, you'll have to wait until it unlocks on Friday.

wabo

Banned
Games crazy in the demo I shot some dudes nuts off... Literally... It showed his nuts being shoot off. I also made a guy explode. I'm guessing I hit his grenade?

Nope, kamikaze exploding soldiers were the secret weapons of Hitler.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up the singleplayer and damn was that mediocre. The game never really felt like it opened up that much from what was shown in the demo and the stealth was way to finicky so I just ended up plowing through enemies Rambo-style a lot of the time. I think it will improve a bit when I run through the campaign in co-op with a friend at some point this year, but as a singleplayer experience it is completely hollow and devoid of soul.

I did use the controller for like the first 5 minutes and then I switched over to mouse and keyboard which made me feel far less handicapped. I appreciated the reduce mouse lag option since it made the mouse feel pretty tight even with v-sync/triple-buffering on.

Oh the pre-order bonus mission is the best looking mission in the game. The atmosphere is really fantastic in it. It only lasts about 10 minutes though haha.

RoylAsult

I've got the same thing. I'm considering just cancelling with Amazon if my local Gamestop gets one in.

yeah i was thinking the same, thing is i got credit at Amazon so i would only be spending 30$ for it, but getting it now and not having to wait till mid may might just be worth it alone.

I didn't get my Hitler code from Amazon yet... I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get it and it's delayed. What was the point of pre-ordering then?

mjc

I didn't get my Hitler code from Amazon yet... I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get it and it's delayed. What was the point of pre-ordering then?

I was surprised Amazon sent me a code since they haven't shipped my copy out yet. Usually they wait until a couple days after confirmed delivery to email codes out.

Amazon sent me my PS3 code Monday, yet the game still hasn't shipped. It's finally sitting at 'Shipping Soon' with an estimated delivery date of tomorrow.

Just wrapped up the singleplayer and damn was that mediocre. The game never really felt like it opened up that much from what was shown in the demo and the stealth was way to finicky so I just ended up plowing through enemies Rambo-style a lot of the time. I think it will improve a bit when I run through the campaign in co-op with a friend at some point this year, but as a singleplayer experience it is completely hollow and devoid of soul.

This is pretty much how I feel. The game is very average. Fun, but average. Though I did play 1 game of online team dm and that was pretty nerve wracking knowing you can't just run around Rambo style an win. Can't wait to try the co op.

This is pretty much how I feel. The game is very average. Fun, but average. Though I did play 1 game of online team dm and that was pretty nerve wracking knowing you can't just run around Rambo style an win. Can't wait to try the co op.

The lack of DM on the console versions is baffling (PC here) as this sort of game is perfect for competitive multiplayer.

Top Bottom