• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snowbreak: Containment Zone’s devs on sexualization criticism :“We know our players’ needs”

Draugoth

Gold Member
Most recently English voice actors refused to work with Snowbreak over its fanservice. However the fan response was actually positive to this news with many preferring the Japanese dub anyways and considering the loss of an English dub a small price to pay for an uncensored game.
In this recent interview, the staffer known only as “P” shared his thoughts about staying true to the game’s audience when asked about the game’s growing popularity:

I’d also like to mention that some people who aren’t “Snowbreak: Containment Zone” players have made some criticisms of our game and the creative direction we’re taking. But rest assured, we know who “Snowbreak: Containment Zone” is really meant to serve.

He was later asked a question concerning the game catering too much to the “male gaze” and what the project team’s thoughts on this were.

These distractions won’t do anything to shake our original goal. We still want to listen to the needs of our players and fulfill their needs. We believe that our sincere, hard work will elicit a positive response from players. So we prefer to not comment on any outside opinions, and I believe no one has the right to decide what is right and wrong in creative endeavors.

Snowbreak: Containment Zone
Snowbreak: Containment Zone

Source

I know this sounds pathetic to people, but to a lot of people it is a niche that they want to be explored. It is a "need".

They want to engage in escapism, or self-insert stuff, circled around "waifus". Either because is fun, or because they want to cope with certain things in their life.

There's quite literally nothing offensive about it.

And I know that these same people would be okay with something that is meant to be pleasing to LGBTQ people. We have seen it with Hades 2 ("Safe Horny") and Baldur's Gate 3 (Just unapologetic horny).

They want that niche too, for them. And that's FINE. Just like is fine for straight people to want that too.

I'm completely unbiased here, because I'm in the camp that is excited about Metaphor: ReFantazio. A game that supposedly has no waifu or horny/romantic self insert content. I don't like waifu shit, it's mind-numbingly boring to me.

But the argument against the fan service of Snowbreak screams inconsistency and biase.

If you are gonna take issue with fan service, go hard and deep about it. Don't be against the shit that doesn't make you dick or pussy wet, and okay with shit that does.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have no interest in the game either way, but I do love to see a developer double down on what they're making, and seeing English VAs virtue signal their way out of a job.

Tourists destroyed.

What they say is so true. The game was released as a third-person linear shooter that was barely surviving. On the verge of EOS, they released a very sexy character that was a hit and from there they turned up the lewdness, which was what their audience wanted.

Even if the game is pure fanservice ala Senran Kagura, I can only applaud devs that actually listen to the right people instead of journos and social media warriors.

It's incredible how in the times we have the best technically advanced graphics, we see the worst looking characters of ever... It's like they're giving up the industry to Asia.
This is good though. The Western industry needs to be freed from the Sweet Baby and capitalism will deal with the West making games no one wants in time

Osaka_Boss

Are all American Voice actors this shitty? Down here VAs dub anime like they dub movies (unless they anime is of comedy). They take roles like a theater play. Most of them give It all, try to fit words into what the mouth gesture IS suggesting. Maybe It is because America didnt need to dub movies because they were already in english?

This might have player a factor in quality, then when anime came and they were só diff from Cartoon, these kiddos weirdos showed UP a Made "anime-like" bias Voice acting

Reactions: Isa

Chechack

The gacha games that im playing daily is

Star Rail,Genshin,Azur Lane,Nikke,Gundam UCE,Iron Saga,Blue Archive and this.

This is a decent TPS,can easily spend less then 15 mins daily if you just wanna stay as a f2p player

kunonabi

Are all American Voice actors this shitty? Down here VAs dub anime like they dub movies (unless they anime is of comedy). They take roles like a theater play. Most of them give It all, try to fit words into what the mouth gesture IS suggesting. Maybe It is because America didnt need to dub movies because they were already in english?

This might have player a factor in quality, then when anime came and they were só diff from Cartoon, these kiddos weirdos showed UP a Made "anime-like" bias Voice acting
For the most part. A lot of them are petty, vindictive assholes, perverts, or just have their heads firmly planted up their own ass. Most of them aren't even that talented anymore either.

Pejo

I've been playing this game for a few months now, and the devs clear communication and dedication to the players that saved it from End of Service is really commendable. The CN director even made a US twitter account to communicate with global english speaking players, which I thought originally was a sign of good faith but he was setting himself up to meet with crazy twitterers. It really is cool to see the developers of a game on the same vibe as its playerbase. One of the few success stories of GaaS being a good thing for both the devs and the audience at the same time.

Anniversary starts tomorrow and they have all kinds of improvements and new stuff pushing the fanservice angle even further. They're also doing a major hiring run in several regions to bolster the writing/directing and adding new gameplay modes too. They've been super responsive to fix things and even to make little nice changes mid-patch because players requested it.

One of the few really good gaming news of the past 5 years in my opinion. And I always love when whiners that won't play the game are ignored wholesale.

3rd person shooter… would it be fair to say this is similar at all to warframe? I played that a couple years back and had a good few months with it before dropping it.

Pejo

3rd person shooter… would it be fair to say this is similar at all to warframe? I played that a couple years back and had a good few months with it before dropping it.
It's more like if you mixed The Division + Genshin Impact honestly. Every character has an ultimate, a skill, and a support move, most have a "designated" role but you can play whoever you want and beat the various modes, even the most support-est of supports. There are only a handful of challenge modes, the game is pretty casual.

*edit*

Also no PVP whatsoever, which I consider a good thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom