• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowerLevel

Odd, Taeyeon is least attractive imo. Not for the "comments", just I find her the least. She's still attractive however... Just not as much as Sunny, Sooyoung or Hyoyeon. Or Seohyun for that matter (4th imo)

Alta1r

LowerLevel said:
Odd, Taeyeon is least attractive imo. Not for the "comments", just I find her the least. She's still attractive however... Just not as much as Sunny, Sooyoung or Hyoyeon. Or Seohyun for that matter (4th imo)

Hyoyeon, Sunny AND Seohyun in the same top 4?? I've heard of one of these sneaking into a top 5 here and there, but this I have never seen.

Salazar

LowerLevel said:

Eh, that was a beat up.

id6bPC.gif

Kyungsan knows what's up.

cool.gif

Ashhong

LowerLevel said:

dude...you have a crazy top 4. I'm not going to say youre wrong (which you are) since everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but goddamn!

Baby Milo

Taeyon is weird sometimes she is really attractive and other times she looks like a space alien

what are the best running man episodes?

Tristam

Since we're on the subject, and since I've never really attempted to rank them...

Tiffany
Yuri
Sunny
Seohyun
Sooyoung
Taeyeon
Yoona
Hyoyeon
Jessica

filler

Banned
For a racist, Taeyeon is really pretty.

Hyo is the hottest, because you know she's the best in bed. Best dancer= best sex.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hahaha, as if Taeyeon wouldn't be the best. I don't care who you like the most, it's obvious that... okay maybe we shouldn't get into this discussion.

Dice

Show to me where she was racist. Go ahead and try to find proof.

Edit: Suzy looking so cute.

9zNnt.jpg

V7NaK.jpg

They gave Jia shit hair again. :/

ZLypV.jpg

4wvwf.jpg

Hahahaha I love this expression. If this were moving it'd be the ultimate popcorn gif.

Salazar

filler said:
Since when is Alicia Keys her friend?

I understand that's a curiosity (a makeshift phrase) of Korean vocabulary.

But I know pretty much nothing about the language. Except saranghae and daeng and jigeumeun.

5kWRo.gif

filler

Banned
Why even mention that she's black? Couldn't she have just said she thinks she's pretty? I don't think she was trying to be malicious, it's just ignorance.

Dice

filler said:
Why even mention that she's black? Couldn't she have just said she thinks she's pretty? I don't think she was trying to be malicious, it's just ignorance.
Maybe because her ethnicity was part of the beauty she was talking about? Aren't we basically talking about how we like Korean girls here? A lot about the old colorblind movement is ridiculous.

filler

Banned
I've heard plenty of similar comments from people since I moved to Idaho seven years ago(Idaho is about 90% white). None of the people making these ignorant comments think they are being racist either. Usually it's something like, "I don't like black girls, but Beyonce' is hot".

Fafnir

Came across this on tumblr looking for Taengoo pics, pretty much sums the Taeyeon scandal and the ignorant haters that believe anything they read on the internet:

oniontaker said:
Why is this whole “Taeyeon is racist” thing re-surfacing?

This has already been

dealt with many, many times by reputable people

It’s like people want a reason, any reason to find some kind of controversy or a weakness in SNSD. Probably because they’ve become untouchable and so much butthurt is being expended on efforts to bring them down in any way possible.

What frustrates me is that people go to the wrong sources to find out the information. Many of what they read online is biased commentary from 2008-2009, remnants of the idiotic international bandwagoners who didn’t know what was actually happening then (and still don not to this day).

The best part of it is that the now-misinformed people confront me saying NO BUT SHE SAID THIS. No, bitch. Step the fuck back. I’m Korean: don’t try to tell me what I’m meant to be hearing. Oh I’m sorry, maybe you’re waaay too Korean for me. I guess you listened to the original Korean audio? I guess you are not only a native speaker of Korean but also someone who grew up immersed in the culture?

Shit, most people haven’t even heard the audio clip and don’t know any Korean. Yet they refuse to listen. Apparently, the words of known bashers remain as fact and my explanation is just my own opinion.

People ask me why I don’t explain the situation. That’s why.
Some people just don’t like SNSD in the same way they don’t like the popular girls in school and no matter what they are told, they’re never going to listen and from my experience, nothing short of Taeyeon marrying a black dude would ever be enough for them; Taeyeon will never marry a black dude because I am not black.

I don’t have the time for stubborn fools who can’t see reason when it’s prancing around in front of their very eyes. That’s why I don’t address the bilge that was spread pre-Gee by ignorant, impressionable teenage girls.

But-she-said-that-she-said-that-she-said-NO. Shut up. It’s bullshit.
I watched enough girls backstabbing and bitching in high school, and you’re a tool if you’re bringing it into K-Pop. Just learn to trust.

http://oniontaker.tumblr.com/post/7594373467/why-is-this-whole-taeyeon-is-racist-thing

rklDd.jpg

Tristam

filler said:
Since when is Alicia Keys her friend? Sounds like Your translation is off.

Chingu in Korean means friend; in Korea, you don't have to be friends with someone to refer to them as 'friend.' It's a quirk of the language.

Racism (particularly against black people and Southeast Asians) is a big problem in Korea, but what Taeyeon said was completely innocuous and didn't have any racist subtext.

filler

Banned
I don't hate SNSD or Taeyeon. I actually really like her, she's pretty, has a great voice and a dork. I just don't think it's so much of a stretch that she said that, as some people would have you believe.

Ashhong

Also, in Korean culture, it is not ignorant or uncommon to refer to someone by their race. The fact that she led with the Korean word for "black person" means absolutely nothing. It's just their way of being more descriptive.

ramyeon

Not this topic again. Why are people bringing up something that happened over 2 years ago all of a sudden?

This is the problem with kpop fandom, most of the fans can't speak a lick of Korean and depend on dodgy translations from sources like allkpop that while they can be reliable, also post some pretty suspicious articles from gossip columns a lot.

I dismissed the Taeyeon incident when it happened as being a cultural misunderstanding as that kind of phrase is harmless in Korean but when it's translated literally can become offensive due to the difference in cultures and understanding of racism. After hearing the audio clip Dice posted awhile back it's pretty obvious that's the case.

Salazar

This 2 part "Boom the K-Pop" special is going to be hilarious.

This special feature will be divided into two parts. The first part is "Do you know Girls' Generation?" and will highlight Girls' Generation's popularity in Japan, as well as why the Japanese fans are very passionate about this girl group. The second part, which will be broadcasted on July 21, is called "Right now it's Girls' Generation!" and will feature the changes in the Japanese fans' lifestyles due to the effect of Girls' Generation. The first part will be broadcasted on July 14 at 7:30 p.m.

filler

Banned
I had a good laugh looking through one of the anti forums. They had thread about how SNSD were going to fail miserably in Japan. They kept it going strong for a while, but it faded out before the end of 2010. Apparently a soshi fan made an account and did some trolling, but they deleted all his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom