• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alta1r

Salazar said:
KARA fan-art. They nailed Gyuri.

W4Lza.jpg

Goo too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The ultimate girl group: KARAINBOW

qkZwq.jpg

t5B6J.jpg

C42z1.jpg

Nicole Bonus

D6Ywa.jpg
9oNsT.jpg

Hopefully someone will produce better pics and/or video from this concert as these are clearly just pictures of the megascreen.

filler said:
I had a good laugh looking through one of the anti forums. They had thread about how SNSD were going to fail miserably in Japan. They kept it going strong for a while, but it faded out before the end of 2010. Apparently a soshi fan made an account and did some trolling, but they deleted all his posts.

I can't be the only one who finds the concept of anti-fans and forums completely ridiculous. Why would you spend your time talking about a group you don't like?

keuja

Tristam said:
Since we're on the subject, and since I've never really attempted to rank them...

Tiffany
Yuri
Sunny
Seohyun
Sooyoung
Taeyeon
Yoona
Hyoyeon
Jessica

Ranking time! Here's mine:

Taeyon - Cute and amazing singer, nice personality
Tiffany - Beautiful and good singer, i like her relationship with Taeyon
Sooyoung - Great personality and also beautiful. the closest to the classical beauty I think
Yuri - Hot!!! and funny. Decent singer
Jessica - Great singer and mildly bitchy, I don't find her as physically attractive as the others though
Yoona - Very pretty and easy going, but unfortunately not a good singer
Seohyun - Good singer but a bit boring otherwise. Probably different in real life though...
Sunny - good singer but personality wise I feel she tries too hard sometimes and not as natural as the others (i haven't watched IY though)
Hyoyeon - same as sunny but not a good singer. She seems like a genuinely nice girl but I find her a bit annoying with her not so subtle pranks

Dice

LLZr3.jpg

♡♡♡♡

Rainbow (or at least a certain 4 members) are seriously nonstop with the selcas.

Uzzx3.jpg
hSJEp.jpg

RWlfg.jpg

Salazar

filler said:
I just know they are dedicated as fuck about their hatred. They write articles and shit.

Yep. This is an especially infuriating case, as it has made Tablo step back from the music industry.

In South Korea, a group of internet users raised doubts about the academic background of Tablo, who majored in English and English Literature at Stanford University. Led by two fan sites, most notably "We Demand the Truth from Tablo" (Hangul: "타블로에게 진실을 요구합니다", also known as "Tajinyo" (Hangul: "타진요"), some netizens claimed that Tablo could not have graduated from Stanford with both a B.A. and M.A. in English and Creative Writing, respectively, in just three and a half years.

It became front-page news in Korea in June 2010, when Tajinyo's manager, whatbecomes, claimed that that Tablo's academic record was "not making any sense" and showed what he believed to be inconsistencies in Tablo's transcripts. Even though Tablo posted his official transcript and other legal documents online, many netizens refused to believe him, and called for other documents such as his immigration statement, diploma, etc.

Tablo visited Stanford University in late August to clear himself by re-printing his documents on camera, and many of his acquaintances and professors from Stanford attested to the validity of his academic background on camera. The documentary was shown in two parts: "Tablo Goes to Stanford", and "Tablo and South Korea Online", which respectively aired on MBC October 1 and 8. However, despite the documentary, and Stanford's administration clearly siding with Tablo, membership at Tajinyo increased to as many as 190,000 within a few days, as numerous netizens refused to believe Tablo or the documentary.

On October 9, however, police confirmed that Tablo had indeed graduated from Stanford, having requested information beyond what Tablo had already provided, directly from Stanford University. South Korean police filed an arrest warrant domestically and with Interpol for the arrest of whatbecomes, who was revealed to be a 57-year old Korean-American surnamed Kim living in the United States. In addition, twenty-two netizens received summons indicating they had been sued by Tablo for criminal defamation.
Tajinyo was shut down soon after by its host site, Naver, following the results of the investigation, which also revealed that whatbecomes had fraudulently used a friend's ID number to create the website, violating Naver's terms of service. However, many members of Tajinyo joined another community called "We Demand the Truth from Tablo 2" (Hangul: "타블로에게 진실을 요구합니다2", or "타진요 2" ["Tajinyo-i"] for short), which has a membership of over 33,000 netizens.

Dice

Even better writeup on the utterly shameful Tablo controv... No, that's not it because he didn't do anything wrong... Well, I don't want to use the word "atrocity" but what else do you call a year-long, completely unprovoked smear campaign that leaves the most successful and intelligent rapper in the country a frightened shell of his former self?

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2011/julaug/features/tablo.html

Just disgusting what they did to him.

ramyeon

Salazar said:
Yep. This is an especially infuriating case, as it has made Tablo step back from the music industry.
Netizens are crazy and always will be. It's really sad and definitely an interesting facet of Korean culture - had to write an essay on the subject for University last year. Tablo's case is horrible, but there are a lot more out there as well. A lot of which lead to suicides (Choi Jin Sil is the most high profile case, as well as the former president, Ro Moo Hyun) or cause the person being attacked to flee the country (Jay Park - who had a petition made about him asking him to kill himself after the MySpace controversy). It's not limited to just big time celebrities either. Pretty disturbing stuff.

Korea definitely has a sheep-like culture where people follow the trends that are popular at any given time be it in sports, fashion, or even ideals and opinions. So when people band together and start saying one person did something, a lot of people will follow. Most netizens are young and in Junior to Middle school as well. That coupled with the anonymity of the internet and a disconnection from the consequences of their actions and words they say things which they would never say offline.

Dice

Yeah, Tristam gave me a warning about such things. I will heed it but I will still go live there... someday...

Soyeon doing her usual pose and looking cute.

ttB5q.jpg

And here she is strangely looking like Sojin.

4vrtW.jpg

Dice

Seungyeon looking totally badass at the airport.

DNdnc.jpg

7F13b.jpg

l94JT.jpg

aFwNt.jpg

It's like she's searching for someone to kick their ass.

Ranvier

So just got done with episode 17 of IY and something that really threw me for a loop was the whole dumpling eating scene. Sunny makes a cutesy face and Taewoo says that is something a Japanese Idol would do. Then the fat one says, "Hey, we also have a black man at the table."

Yuri then throws on her hood and says in English, "You die" straight to the camera. This is followed by a couple of "what up yo", ending with the oh no you diddin head shake along with the snapping of the fingers. And everyone at the table cracked up. They even edited it so her words come on screen and they put in the laugh track. I haven't seen such blatant stereotyping since Shananae in that TV show Martin. Is this because contact with black people is limited and mainly through American TV shows? If so, then its kinda forgivable and makes sense but I still refuse to believe all Korean's stereotype black people this much.

Alta1r said:
Compare and contrast part 2:

XPT4s.jpg

This is just unfair because of those turrible bangs Hyo's got going on. Its like comparing these two pictures...

rdr-yoona-2.jpg
tumblr_lcsq7ruIjJ1qb7dgbo1_500.jpg

And I'm just throwing in this last picture because well...its awesome.

tumblr_la1y8fPKbK1qcj0buo1_250.jpg

panda21

i remember someone posted some awesome perfume vids in the old thread (Dice?), but I can't find them anywhere, all I can find is the short preview version of nee.

anyone have linku? especially nee and the one with them running around through this weird colourful stage type thing.

Salazar

milkham said:
who's butt is that?

I vote Tiffany.

Someone prove me wrong

Ranvier said:
I haven't seen such blatant stereotyping since Shananae in that TV show Martin. Is this because contact with black people is limited and mainly through American TV shows? If so, then its kinda forgivable and makes sense but I still refuse to believe all Korean's stereotype black people this much.

I honestly don't think they even conceive of it as stereotyping black folks; its just a terribly (occasionally amusingly) gauche hiphop posture that they've been kind of trained in but not raised in. I think it gets amplified in variety shows because there's almost an expectation of caricatures and imitations. Which are intrinsically suspect in, say, English or American discourse, but are pretty standard (or seem to be) in Korea. I remember an interview show when Soshi (Sooyoung, I think) absolutely ripped on an Italian woman's accent and the way she spoke Korean. It was kind of awkward for me, but everyone laughed it up - I think that's just the way it goes, at least on tv.

Running Man's writer. *Bow*

qQKUh.gif

vordhosbn

Banned
East Asian countries are highly isolated culturally and so their manners might come off as more careless. I don't sense any superiority but actually cluelessness in regards to other ethnicities.
Salazar said:
I honestly don't think they even conceive of it as stereotyping black folks; its just a terribly (occasionally amusingly) gauche hiphop posture that they've been kind of trained in but not raised in. I think it gets amplified in variety shows because there's almost an expectation of caricatures and imitations. Which are intrinsically suspect in, say, English or American discourse, but are pretty standard (or seem to be) in Korea. I remember an interview show when Soshi (Sooyoung, I think) absolutely ripped on an Italian woman's accent and the way she spoke Korean. It was kind of awkward for me, but everyone laughed it up - I think that's just the way it goes, at least on tv.
I thought she was mocking her absurdly annoying voice rather than accent. Then again I can't speak Korean and hadn't even noticed what type of accent she had.

Salazar

vordhosbn said:
I thought she was mocking her absurdly annoying voice rather than accent. Then again I can't speak Korean and hadn't even noticed what type of accent she had.

You could be right. It certainly sounded horrible.

Lzp1v.gif

No, Tiff. Never.

OWCxV.gif

ramyeon

vordhosbn said:
East Asian countries are highly isolated culturally and so their manners might come off as more careless. I don't sense any superiority but actually cluelessness in regards to other ethnicities.

Yeah I don't think it's superiority; that's their stance towards other Asian countries, not Western countries ;)

And yeah Christina I think it was? She's famous for her voice and accent, it's part of her image. She's famous in Korea and is a regular on the show Chit Chat of Beauties.

Sooyoung's impersonation is spot on, by the way. Her accent in Korean is still as if she was speaking Italian so it sounds really grating.

Salazar

ramyeon said:
Sooyoung's impersonation is spot on, by the way.

There's another woman with an amazingly annoying voice as her "thing". Can't remember her name - she was on PKL's show a few times, I think.

ramyeon

Salazar said:
There's another woman with an amazingly annoying voice as her "thing". Can't remember her name - she was on PKL's show a few times, I think.
If it's a foreigner it might be Bronwyn, she's pretty hard to listen to as well :lol

Salazar

ramyeon said:
If it's a foreigner it might be Bronwyn, she's pretty hard to listen to as well :lol

No, it's a sort of thirtyish woman who had a novelty song a while back. She whines.

Man, reading that Tablo article Dice linked to makes me mad.

Edit: Hyunyoung.

Ronok

Baby Milo said:
Taeyon is weird sometimes she is really attractive and other times she looks like a space alien

what are the best running man episodes?

Erm no... She either looks damn good, or damn good while looking cute/dorky.

Honestly I couldn't tell you by number, but it's best to watch through in order. A lot of the best moments are when running jokes reach their peak. I really wouldn't advise skipping through.

Alta1r said:
Compare and contrast part 2:

XPT4s.jpg

Hyo looks damn good there. She always looks better when she isn't doing her HUGE smile. =P

Salazar

Ronok said:
Erm no... She either looks damn good, or damn good while looking cute/dorky.

MIGCK.gif

Ronok said:
Hyo looks damn good there. She always looks better when she isn't doing her HUGE smile. =P

I think (being no expert) that it has something to do with matching her eyebrows and hair.

Buying clothes. I don't know that I could take paparazzi shots.

uKCBy.jpg

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
keuja said:
Ranking time! Here's mine:

Taeyon
Tiffany
Sooyoung
Yuri
Jessica
Yoona
Seohyun
Sunny
Hyoyeon
Very similar to mine except Hyoyeon's higher and Seohyun's bottom.

Hyoyeon's highs put her over Jessica but her lows? Well...

Alta1r

Ranvier said:
Yuri then throws on her hood and says in English, "You die" straight to the camera. This is followed by a couple of "what up yo", ending with the oh no you diddin head shake along with the snapping of the fingers. And everyone at the table cracked up. They even edited it so her words come on screen and they put in the laugh track. I haven't seen such blatant stereotyping since Shananae in that TV show Martin. Is this because contact with black people is limited and mainly through American TV shows? If so, then its kinda forgivable and makes sense but I still refuse to believe all Korean's stereotype black people this much.

I think it's cause they're going for air time. An impersonation that was politically correct, aka not doing anything stereotypical and being normal and just like errbody else would have been pretty boring and probably cut from the show.

bBSaZh.jpg

For the record, ridiculously turrible RDR bangs Yoona >> any version of Fiona.

I haven't done a ranking before. Here goes...

Taeyeon - Goddess. Nothing more to say.
Tiffany - Almost as much of a goddess as the above.
Jessica - Has grown a lot on me lately. Can come of as bitchy, but it's kind of hot... One of the best singers in the group.
Yoona - The most naturally beautiful in the group? Probably. Seems like a fun person as well. Can't really sing though.
Seohyun - Has improved a lot for me. Good voice, cute personality.

Now it gets more tricky.

Sooyoung - Meh. She's okay.
Sunny - Has dropped way down. I don't really like how she always has to act super cutesy whenever the camera is on.
Yuri - I'm a bit indifferent towards her. Seems a bit childish, in an annoying way.
Hyoyeon - Goblin. Okay not really, only compared to the others.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Tiffany looks terrible there :/

Salazar said:
Every time I think I agree with a ranking, I hate myself and instantly change my mind.
It has Sooyoung and Yuri in the bottom 4.

It is therefore invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom