• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So i finally got a Switch!Please recommend me some exclusives (no WiiU ports)

sublimit

Banned
8SuIjIq.jpg

rRmiwh7.jpg

I was thinking of buying an original Switch by the end of this month,but in a strange coincidence a very good friend of mine actually bought me a Switch Lite (Pokemon edition even though i'm not a fan of Pokemon :p ) yesterday as a present.I always had a Sony/Nintendo combo ever since the PS2/GC era so i also wanted to also have a Switch for its exclusives.

So GAF please recommend me some Switch exclusives!
I don't really care for WiiU's ports because i have all the WiiU games that interest me for my WiiU (except for Mario Kart 8 which i plan to buy on Switch).I also don't care that much for Pokemon/Fire Emblem/Mario/Animal Crossing.
I'm mostly interested in RPGs (especially Japanese ones), action/adventure,and horror games.Any suggestions of good/obscure indie exclusives are also welcomed!

My friend already lend me his copy of Octopath Traveller (but i will most likely also buy it myself for my collection) and i also plan to get these games as well:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Daemon X Machina
Astral Chain

Any other games that might interest me?

Kuranghi

That Switch looks ace, still trying to convince my gf to get a Switch, that could tip the scales.

Anyway, here are my favourite indie exclusives games:

The Touryst
The Stretchers
Good Job!
Golf Story

I love physics in games though so I'm a bit biased on the middle 2 + Golf Story gave me MS Golf 3.0 flashbacks!

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got my 8 year old the Pokemon Switch.
I got it cuz I thought she'll enjoy it and there would be loads games available.
Sadly I'm having trouble swimming through the shovelwear at their £49.99 prices to find anything decent suitable for her
Any recommendations would be helpful.
She already has DKCTF and Luigi's Mansion 3, Minecraft and a few others
But seems to play mostly Luigi and Minecraft

Thirty7ven

Banned
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Mario Odyssey
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

I won't recommend BOTW because I hated it but I guess you should play it because it's considered an essential.

Fire Emblem is the best game on the system IMO, and the dlc is great too. You would be missing out.

I didn’t care for BOTW that much, but it’s still a good game.

Don’t sleep on Splatoon 2 even if you don’t care about multiplayer, the campaign and the expansion are both fun. Multiplayer is great though.

Not sure if you are into VNs, but there are a lot of good VNs on Switch.

You mentioned horror games, so check out Death Mark and Ng

Not "exclusives" per se but not Wii U ports either: Disgaea 1, Disgaea 4, or Disgaea 5 will last you for a few years if you enjoy the grid-based RPG genre. The story is silly and disposable, that is the only caveat. The art design, the variety of classes, the various ways to beat a stage, the endless grinding, and most importantly the level of detail and the freedom to build whatever team you want all combine to make for a really addictive game. Look up some gameplay videos. I love the music from the franchise, too.

Disgaea-5-Complete
81DH92pzqSL._SY445_.jpg
710pD4%2BtGIL._SY445_.jpg

These are outside of your suggested genres, but I recommend both ARMS and Sushi Strikers (technically multiplat release on 3DS, too).

eb1e08c0-b142-4e4c-8fe1-f1053d5736a7_1.f6516c005dfb6eaa5bb3a3032ddfcc64.jpeg
81kPALL3XrL._SL1500_.jpg

ARMS is a great fighting game. It obeys the fundamentals of positioning, range, throws, blocking, etc from a regular fighting game, but slows down the combat (somewhat) to allow for players to think through the rock-paper-scissors without getting overwhelmed. Character design, music, and feel are all high-quality Nintendo fare.

Sushi Strikers is hard to pin down to a genre. It's like Frogger cranked up to high speeds, and with elements from the Vs Puzzle genre. Players can use special abilities to attack or to recover. There's Exp gain, finding and evolving Pokem--I mean Sushi Sprites, side challenges, puzzle mode, etc etc. I would put this "action puzzle game" into the same category as Puzzle Quest or Critter Crunch. Yes, the backbone is "puzzle" but the mechanics unfold over the course of a single-player campaign.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a great jrpg. One of my favorite games on switch.

If you like that one the Definitive edition of Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is coming out this Friday.
Just in time to get Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
The original XC on the Wii was one of my favorite RPGs of all time and i had put more than 300 hours on it. But as much as i loved it i'm not in a hurry to play it again. I will definitely buy the Remake at some point though.

I have tried Disgaea 1&2 back in the PS2 days and it just wasn't for me.

I think i will finally give a chance to a Fire Emblem game although SRPGs are not my favorite subgenre (even though i like many games from that subgenre like FFT,Valkyria Chronicles and a few others).I have heard a lot of good words about the series but i have never tried it.

Damn i forgot that! Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Fire emblem: hogwarts
Zelda BOTW is a landmark
xenoblade 2... its good but you need to be able to stomach the insane amounts of compounded rng built in
mario odyssey because duh its mario the city level alone is worth it the admission price
monster hunter generations ultimate is the last send off to classic monhan, and it has historic value

Pallas

Not to derail, I just recently got a switch as well. Should consider the PS1/2 era FF’s. Even if you got them in another console already, it’s just a different experience playing these on the go.

Id also suggest trying Nintendo Online(it’s only $3.99 a month or $19.99 for the year) to play with their NES and SNES apps. The collection isn’t that big but there are a few gems on each app.

Oh, get a SD card as well. The internal storage is pitiful.

Last edited:
Sushi Strikers is hard to pin down to a genre. It's like Frogger cranked up to high speeds, and with elements from the Vs Puzzle genre. Players can use special abilities to attack or to recover. There's Exp gain, finding and evolving Pokem--I mean Sushi Sprites, side challenges, puzzle mode, etc etc. I would put this "action puzzle game" into the same category as Puzzle Quest or Critter Crunch. Yes, the backbone is "puzzle" but the mechanics unfold over the course of a single-player campaign.

That game is literally just € 12,- at nedgame.nl (one of the retailers I get my games from). It looks like an interesting game, thanks for your explanation of it. (y)

Good story based games
  • Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (if you like open world games - I personally dont)
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Little Nightmares
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Final Fantasy X / X-2 port
  • Final Fantasy 7 port
  • Celeste

Good for couch co-op with friends
  • Super Space Bros Ultimate
  • Overcooked 1 & 2
  • Moving Out
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Upcoming games to look forward to on Switch
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Not much else honestly

Last edited:

Fbh

Most of the ones I'd recommend have already been mentioned.

So I'd say don't sleep on Cadence of Hyrule

The game is really fun and does a great job at capturing the classic 2D Zelda experience with a fun rhythm based twist.
It's not very long but it has multiple playable characters that all feel distinct enough to make it worth it to play through it multiple times.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I liked it a lot more than Link's Awakening and it's considerably cheaper too.

Last edited:
That game is literally just € 12,- at nedgame.nl (one of the retailers I get my games from). It looks like an interesting game, thanks for your explanation of it. (y)
Yeah I think it flopped.

I bought the Switch version two months after launch and it was already reduced in price. Then saw the 3DS version on sale for $15 about 6 months after launch and picked that up too.

I hope you end up liking it. 🍣

mcjmetroid

8SuIjIq.jpg

rRmiwh7.jpg

I was thinking of buying an original Switch by the end of this month,but in a strange coincidence a very good friend of mine actually bought me a Switch Lite (Pokemon edition even though i'm not a fan of Pokemon :p ) yesterday as a present.I always had a Sony/Nintendo combo ever since the PS2/GC era so i also wanted to also have a Switch for its exclusives.

So GAF please recommend me some Switch exclusives!
I don't really care for WiiU's ports because i have all the WiiU games that interest me for my WiiU (except for Mario Kart 8 which i plan to buy on Switch).I also don't care that much for Pokemon/Fire Emblem/Mario/Animal Crossing.
I'm mostly interested in RPGs (especially Japanese ones), action/adventure,and horror games.Any suggestions of good/obscure indie exclusives are also welcomed!

My friend already lend me his copy of Octopath Traveller (but i will most likely also buy it myself for my collection) and i also plan to get these games as well:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Daemon X Machina
Astral Chain

Any other games that might interest me?

The switch is the ultimate indie machine and first party so a lot of my suggestions will be based on that.

I would go with:
Breath of the wild
Mario odyssey
Fire emblem 3 houses
Luigis mansion ( don't sleep on this one it's actually great suprised me)

For indie:
Streamworld dig 2
Hollow knight
Ori and the blind forest
Into the breach

mcjmetroid

Will say this again, people shouldn't overlook Mario + Rabbits. Its genuinely fantastic and very polished game, so much so that I was surprised it wasn't developed by Nintendo. Which makes me so god damn angry about why Ubisoft's high budget AAA games is damn bland.
I forgot about this. Also when you get into it as much as I do get the dlc. It's almost even better.

So, these might be somewhat odd recommendations, but I'm not exactly enamored by the Switch or its library.

Assuming you enjoy arcade shooters, the Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha & Bravo releases by NISA are two fairly solid collections of twelve 1990s shooters by Psikyo (you can import the JP versions, which support English text, for half the price of NISA's releases; they're called Psikyo Shooting Library 1 & 2).

Also, the Collection of Mana, presenting emulated versions of the first three Seiken Densetsu titles, is a convenient way to play these older games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so tempted to get a switch, the switch light looks amazing but the original you can use with a TV hmm

Just picked up a full fat switch - I thought I’d only use it on the tv but I’ve ended up using both modes plenty. Handheld is useful as it means I don’t hog the tv and I can have some fun while the wife watches shit tv but it’s fantastic on the telly. Also 2 player with aforementioned wife is a lot more practical on the tv. Personally I’d go full fat but be patient and get it at RRP - it’s tricky but it can be done.

Kokoloko85

Single Player goodness
Fire Emblem 3 houses ( my favourite )
Mario Odessy
Zelda Breath of the Wild

Luigi’s Mansion 3
Zelda Links Awakening
Animal Crossing

Octopath Traveler
Golf Story

Multiplayer goodness
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Arms
Splatoon 2

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Wii U port.

Wii U port.
But isn't Breath of the Wild mostly considered cross gen game same way Persona 5 and Watch Dogs were?
That's not what a port is. It released on both platforms at the same time.
The op may have the game already though. He said he has everything for the wiiu he is interested in. But then again maybe not
But in the OP he said he didn’t have it and planned to get it
Well, it was developed as a Wii U game and then at some point they started porting it to the Switch.
I already have BoTW for my WiiU so i don't plan to buy it again. Mario Kart i didn't bought on WiiU so i will buy on Switch.

Thank you everyone so much for you suggestions!I think i'll be adding to my list Dragon Quest 1-3 (i actually never played these before),Zelda Link's Awakening,Fire Emblem Tree House and Collection of Mana.
All in all this is my list for the time being (in order of priority) :
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Daemon X Machina
Zelda Link's Awakening
Astral Chain
Dragon Quest 1-3
Collection of Mana
Cadence of Hyrule
Fire Emblem Three Houses

I'll also get these on a later date:
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbits
Xenoblade Chronicles Remaster
Rune Factory 5 (not sure about that i want to see more of it)
Dragon Quest XI (although i might wait for a PS5 port with all the extra content)

Davey Cakes

Golf Story is still my favorite non-Nintendo exclusive for Switch. It’s relatively short and very sweet. It’s not overly complex, but you do level up with EXP. You don’t even have to be a sports gamer to like it.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

Get a Satisfye grip for your Lite. It's a game changer. You'll know why after playing any game with any action sequences after about 30 minutes.

As for games, my two most played games on the Switch are BOTW and Civ VI. Several hundred hours worth of fun.

Kokoloko85

I already have BoTW for my WiiU so i don't plan to buy it again. Mario Kart i didn't bought on WiiU so i will buy on Switch.

Thank you everyone so much for you suggestions!I think i'll be adding to my list Dragon Quest 1-3 (i actually never played these before),Zelda Link's Awakening,Fire Emblem Tree House and Collection of Mana.

Mario + Rabbits

Good choices. Totally Forgot about this great title

Top Bottom