• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So physical PS5 game collectors... how yall feeling about PS6 potentially being digital-only?

XXL

I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. It doesn't effect me at all.

But I get that some people love physical media, but it's pretty clear it's coming to an end. At the same time, I can completely understand their frustration.

MiguelItUp

Not a big deal for me for the most part since PC did it long ago. But the big difference with PC and console is that you tend to find games cheaper, so it not "coming with more" doesn't really seem like an issue. For console, it felt different for me, of course growing up with consoles and having physical games makes enough of an impression. But I still think it's odd to have the option to buy something for the same price, one you can physically hold, the other you can't. It always just felt like buying the one you can hold makes more sense, at least for me. I just wish digital games were a bit cheaper.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lets say 30% of casuals dont pick up the extra drive. It will just keep shrinking. Games will skip physical more often. Then soon none of your discs will work, probably on PS7. Digital will be all that carries forward.

PS6 disc drive optional at best.
PS7 zero chance it has any drive.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Hank Hill Lol GIF
FTFY

It'll be compatible with the add-on disc drive so as long as the option exists, shouldn't be a problem.

Bigger concern is the price. PS6 can't go beyond $599 max to still see similar adoption rates to PS4 & PS5. It won't have the luxury of being a mid-gen upgrade to push 3DO prices (in fact right now AFAIK PS5 Pro is the most expensive console (at a launch) in gaming history, sans accounting for inflation).

dorkimoe

I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. It doesn't effect me at all.

But I get that some people love physical media, but it's pretty clear it's coming to an end. At the same time, I can completely understand their frustration.
The main reason for me is reselling my games when done and also buying used for cheaper. They’re basically making so you have to buy at their full price. I definitely understand the ease of digital but I feel we should have a choice

I am an old gamer with clear preference for physical games.

The only charm left of a PS (as compared to PC gaming) today is the existence of physical disk for me.
I am definitely not going to buy a PS6 if it's digital only. Heck, I won't be buying it even if physical version exist in case all AAA games going forward release with digital versions at launch similar to Wu Kong, BG3, and AW2.

Digital PC games are much cheaper that you can buy at great discount. Also, multiplayer is free for PC games making it a more attractive platform for gaming than a PS if digital-only.

I have a bunch of physical PS4 games and a few PS5 games. I think the PS5 could very well be my last Sony console (Xbox is already irrelevant to me). Physical games disappearing will be the final nail in PS console gaming for me. I accept digital only on PC because of Steam. I would never trust Sony with digital purchases. PSN is held together by hopes and dreams.

Nintendo Switch/Switch 2 is safe as long as they keep putting out cartridges. Nintendo games are still their own thing as far as I'm concerned. It might be weird, but I really view them as their own seperate thing from the AAA race on PS/Xbox/PC (Where PC is winning big time in terms of performance and the superior experience provided by Steam).

SkylineRKR

People will adapt. Digital is growing every generation. Is it a good practice? no because there are less frequent deals and trade in is eliminated. But you can sign up to rental services nowadays.

I mean, in the end you want to play a good game day one. If Digital is the only option, you'll do it anyway.
It'll be compatible with the add-on disc drive so as long as the option exists, shouldn't be a problem.

Bigger concern is the price. PS6 can't go beyond $599 max to still see similar adoption rates to PS4 & PS5. It won't have the luxury of being a mid-gen upgrade to push 3DO prices (in fact right now AFAIK PS5 Pro is the most expensive console (at a launch) in gaming history, sans accounting for inflation).

PS6 can go beyond 599 max. And mark my words, it will sell out regardless. This isn't 2006. I'd be very surprised if we ever see a new system being offered for 399 again. And even the Switch 2, watch that being offered for 500 or more.

The Pro will sell out as well. Disc drives currently sell like crazy for a reason. There is a good chunk of consumers here that can't wait to get their hands on the Pro.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I punch my dick very hard so the pain can make me forget that this is even a possibility.

If pro is anything to go by, i'm gonna be sterile before i get in my 40s...

Last edited:

Bond007

Unfortunately i do feel PS6 will the that last physical.
Similar to a Pro now with a separate drive. This is the beta test.

Gamers have allowed our ownership rights to have been stripped out of convenience. I will no longer be able to share games with my kids or decide to trade in when we want. Ridiculous
I suppose the happy medium is to continue allowing the attachment drive and letting consumers choose which route. If i gotta pay for my drive to keep physical i will - fortunately and unfortunately.

Last edited:

m14

How invested are Sony in Blu-ray at this point? They already stopped making recordable Blu-rays.

Natsuko

I take a relaxed view on this. I can keep my old consoles and just wait for the PC ports in the future. I primarily play on the PC these days anyway. But I still occasionally buy disc versions. No disc drive would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and makes me switch to PC completely.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I can believe having a disc thing outside, like the PS5 and PC does now. But the standard will be digital only for sure. Bad times

Killer8

Even if publishers increasingly stop putting out games on disc to the point that there is only a digital PS6 SKU, an optional disc drive will likely always exist for legacy purposes. Sony won't shoot themselves in the foot by offering really good backwards compatibility that suddenly can't be used by a lot of people.

They regularly do adapters for convenience sake like the free PSVR adapter for PS5 and the PSVR2 adapter for PC. It's not like the PS4 and 5 games even use the disc drive for anything more than authentication purposes. It all gets installed to the SSD. Some USB powered shit that tucks away behind the console would be enough.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
As far as PlayStation and therefore the vast majority of the game-purchasing console market is concerned concerned (still bigger and faster growing than PC btw), physical discs make up 30-35% of annual games sales. Digital ratios have capped over the last few years.

We know that for single player games, the ratio is closer to 40-60% percent. Sony's SP first parties don't go below 60%, and often are much higher. I imagine it's even higher than that for Nintendo.

All that to say: Sony's not getting rid of physical anytime soon, if ever. There will always be a profitable number of people willing to pay for discs. If Alan Wake 2 cannot manage without a disc version in 2024, the vast majority of games won't get away with it in the future.

At the end of the day, if gamers want to be stupid enough to bring the industry to the point that a discless console is viable, that is and has been their choice. Physical games provide actual ownership and are often cheaper than what's on the storefront, but they've still chosen to buy digital, and play a bunch of games that will be unplayable in the next decade.

This is business, and digital games give higher margins. I'm fine with discs getting subsidized by that.

Cakeboxer

Without Xbox as competitor i really don't see them offer a disc drive, not even optional. No retailer cut, no second hand market, no costs fpr design, production, storage, licences, transport = $$$$$$

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just like having physical media, particularly when it's done well. See Astro Bot, it has a nice inside cover and a folded poster included. Things like that.

It may all die off some day, but I'll keep buying physical media until it does.

Hohenheim

I am an old gamer with clear preference for physical games.

The only charm left of a PS (as compared to PC gaming) today is the existence of physical disk for me.
I am definitely not going to buy a PS6 if it's digital only. Heck, I won't be buying it even if physical version exist in case all AAA games going forward release with digital versions at launch similar to Wu Kong, BG3, and AW2.

Digital PC games are much cheaper that you can buy at great discount. Also, multiplayer is free for PC games making it a more attractive platform for gaming than a PS if digital-only.
Yeah, the consoles from here on will basically be low/mid range PC's.
The charm and uniqueness of the consoles have slowly faded away.
Except for Nintendo! They're hopefully gonna keep some of that console vibes going forward.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Any digital only console is dead to me. If I'm going to be forced into digital, I'll just move completely to PC where I have existing library, game prices are lower and backwards compatibility doesn't rest on the whims of the platform holder.

A.Romero

I'd probably jump to whatever Steamdeck's or similar living room device is.

I'm OK with digital only PC but not on PSN. Maybe I'd consider it if I could change my main account's country.

Natsuko

Yeah, the consoles from here on will basically be low/mid range PC's.
The charm and uniqueness of the consoles have slowly faded away.
Except for Nintendo! They're hopefully gonna keep some of that console vibes going forward.

Amen. I really hope Nintendo stays Nintendo. My hopes for the Switch 2 are high. I won't miss Xbox or PlayStation. These days you basically just need a PC for those games. I would really miss Nintendo. It's still unique.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
The PS5 Slim with the bundled disc drive is still selling better than the PS5 Slim Digital, which means there's demand not only from physical game collectors like myself but also from the average consumer who understands that having more purchasing options for software is better than being limited to just the PlayStation Store.

Anyway, I don’t see the PS6 going all digital, but the next generation after that is an entirely different conversation.

The days of piracy are shrinking. There were no Denovo protected games released in 2024 that were cracked. And only a few released in 2023.

I read in a dark web form where pirates said they are not interested in cracking anymore due to two reasons :
1. Denovo is hard to crack 2. They say gaming as a service (Xbox GP, Ubi etc.) means there is no need to crack games.

The only smart option left in case of a digital-only future is to buy from stores like Steam and EPIC that offer deep discounts on games. PS and Xbox stores are not an attrative proposition in comparision. And I have planned for this in case all games become digital.

DryvBy

Lets say 30% of casuals dont pick up the extra drive. It will just keep shrinking. Games will skip physical more often. Then soon none of your discs will work, probably on PS7. Digital will be all that carries forward.

PS6 disc drive optional at best.
PS7 zero chance it has any drive.
By the time a PS7 comes out, I may not even care about gaming. Games will be like $200 each and I'll be buying $700 eggs making just enough to be homeless.

LRKD

A digital console is a worthless console lol, but I do think the mass market is almost ready for it though, most people are more than happy to own nothing and eat the bugs. Probably another generation of optional disc drives. But it's possible that they might just opt to keep disc drives around anyways just because they will avoid any possible negative press that way, and still keep the collector market. Perhaps even try to edge in on the collecting aspect, give it some sort of vinyl appeal.

Top Bottom