• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So physical PS5 game collectors... how yall feeling about PS6 potentially being digital-only?

bundylove

Again, some titles - yes, over 80% of titles in disk, no.

And even with downloads there are major upsides in having a disk such as lower prices at launch if you live in EU/UK, ability to lend the disk to your friends, ability to sell it and more.
Grow up. The whole industry is going all digital.

You cant even by blurays anymore.

But its north america so

StereoVsn

But its north america so
Grow up? You are ignoring facts based on your opinions? Yes, digital is growing but by far it’s not as clear cut, especially outside NA and UK.

Sony’s own receipts show over 50% of major games selling on disk. Over 80% of disk based games are perfectly playable when installed without patches.

Why don’t you grow up first without bringing personal insults and be less of an ass.

bundylove

Grow up? You are ignoring facts based on your opinions? Yes, digital is growing but by far it’s not as clear cut, especially outside NA and UK.

Sony’s own receipts show over 50% of major games selling on disk. Over 80% of disk based games are perfectly playable when installed without patches.

Why don’t you grow up first without bringing personal insults and be less of an ass.
Welcome to the future then.

Yes north america is way ahead in that regard and the EU will follow.

No insult here btw. Thats your insecurity talking.

But lets do this.

No more music in disk as its all digital or streamed
No more movies on disks as its all on demand. I can watch new movies on my streaming service paramount or apple or prime etc.
No more pc games in phisycal form.

My tv has gamepass and other services that stream games. Less games at best buy or walmart etc.
And soon all games will be digital only.
If you look at the rest of the entertaiment induatry, gaming is next to either fully go digital or go streaming.

You cant convince me otherwise. Its juat not logical.

And yeah in the eu people are not that well off and lot of people will buy second hand or trade or whatever. Even the eu ps store ia shit comoared to here. Better deals , better flash sales etc.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

I dont know shat sony smoked when deciding on this console.
Here in europe its 800 +120 for the disk drive, and at least here its fuking expensive.
Beside with no disk drive, which is very used here because of the used game market and with a lackluster presentation which does not at the least sell the new console.
I think sony needs to learn a bit of humility again

nick776

I, for one, love all digital. I've not bought a physical game since Xbox first started selling games digitally. I have the 4TB SSD in my PS5 and it is super nice to just be able to play any game any time with a couple of button presses as opposed to having to insert a disk to swap games. Digital all the way for me.

SRTtoZ

As long as they sell a disc drive separately, I'm okay with that. I'm mainly digital these days but I still like having the drive for the chance that buying a game off Amazon or Gamestop is cheaper.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'll always be team physical, but for me to remotely accept an all digital console, they'll have to get rid of removing games from servers or making you lose access to your games if your account gets banned. Frankly, I don't see how that's still legal. I expect when consoles become digital only, that'll be challenged in the courts and will be won like with loot boxes. You can't strip access to someone's game away from them they legally purchased. It's essentially stealing.

Once those things change I'll bite my tongue and accept digital, but until then I refuse to buy a digital console.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And would companies like Limited run games go to failure? I don't think so.

Imagine stores like Playasia, Amazon, LRG, they would take a big hit and that doesn't suit anyone.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

But its north america so
wtf-wtf-is-going-on.gif

I like you dude, I get brick and mortar stores have stop stocking them but seriously..
tenor.gif

Last edited:

bundylove

Isnt that only if youre connected tonthe internet in the first place?
What i am getting to is that games are getting bigger and then you end up having to download moat of the game.

So without internet you cant get it back if you delete that off your console

TGO

Where i live its mostly bargain bin stuff. Walmart at least . Best buy following the trend.
Most physical media has been missing from store's for almost a decade, Amazon is to blame for that.
Most Physical purchasers buy online and the market for Collectors Editions is booming.
More and more studio's are putting them out these days too compared to 2010.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I believe PS6 will follow PS5 Bro's tactic: default is all digital, but with available disc drive to purchase separately.

I can see Sony doing that to give physical players an illusion of choice, while restricting the supply of the disc drive

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PSP was digital only in 2009, I’m quoting 2009, Sony has openly expressed disdain for physical games, we know pc gaming went digital, Nintendo gamers talk about physical they’re using tiny cartridges.

The Saint

If the cable and internet in my state was not so terrible, I might consider it. It took me 5 days to download Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5. I wish I was joking. We have ONE option in my state, and it is the absolute worst. Give me an internet that can download a game that is 100-200 gigs large in under 10 minutes, and I will rethink my stance.

bundylove

You said everything is digital and needs online even on physical. I said I can play my disk games just ok without internet and you are now talking about next gen. Already changing the tune.

Please buy jedi , put it into your ps5 and play it.
But do so offline.
If you gwt it to run i take your bait

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
It looks like PS6 will only have a digital model. They might sell an optional disc drive you can plug in but I doubt it. They should just rip the band aid off and go all digital. People who buy physical games these days are the minority and stubborn and unwilling to move with the times. Either accept it or stop playing games.

Quantum253

Gold Member
It looks like PS6 will only have a digital model. They might sell an optional disc drive you can plug in but I doubt it. They should just rip the band aid off and go all digital. People who buy physical games these days are the minority and stubborn and unwilling to move with the times. Either accept it or stop playing games.
Wonder how gamefly would feel about getting railed

bundylove

Most physical media has been missing from store's for almost a decade, Amazon is to blame for that.
Most Physical purchasers buy online and the market for Collectors Editions is booming.
More and more studio's are putting them out these days too compared to 2010.
Well you just said it . You can buy on amazon or other online stores.

Ans as you said its becoming more for collectors than every day consumers. Its becoming niche.

Look i have no clue where i am going with this, i was really trying to make a point that in gaming the future is all digital.

But i can tell you that i am fully against all digital. It destroyes everything. I can write pages of why.

But the intent is there. Ita fine that you can buy physical but just look at this shit today. 700 bucks and no disc drive. Buy it seperate. There isnt even an option for a built in disc version. Or look at laptops etc. No more disc drives.

So whay they will do is they will take away the ability to play discs. We are talking in the next few years not today.
Right now , in my house, without some old laptop or my ps3 or 4 or 5 i wouldnt be able to play any blurays or dvds .

And with streaming galore, fuck my life i pay more for my suns than i ever paid for cable, no one will buy any player ever again.

I know i am rambling here, tired as shit old me, but i hope you get my point

Reactions: TGO

bundylove

Why the fuck do I need to buy Jedi just to suit your stupid logic?
I have the games I like on disk and they just work fine without internet.
Cuz once it starts with 20 percent of games, it will become 30, 50, 80 a hundred very soon.

Dont get me wrong, fuck digital cuz when my connection is gone even for an hour , none of my games can be played due to varification issues.

Anyways, we are on the same page here bit i cant ignore reality.

TGO

But the intent is there. Ita fine that you can buy physical but just look at this shit today. 700 bucks and no disc drive. Buy it seperate. There isnt even an option for a built in disc version.
As I said earlier, just with their push for GAAS they have misread the market, their saving grace will be that you can buy the add-on.
A lot of people will just do that because they are sheep " it's the way it is"
But if there was no option...?
There's already backlash over the price and it being discless.
That may change in 10 years time, but in 3 which is likely the life span of the Pro, is a different story.

bundylove

As I said earlier, just with their push for GAAS they have misread the market, their saving grace will be that you can buy the add-on.
A lot of people will just do that because they are sheep " it's the way it is"
But if there was no option...?
There's already backlash over the price and it being discless.
That may change in 10 years time, but in 3 which is likely the life span of the Pro, is a different story.
We have to read between the corporate lines.
A disc drive is never a 100 bucks. Yet thats what they sell it for. They want to punish you. And make a dime onnit while they laugh all the way to the bank.
They want to condition you. They want you to go with their policies and if it takes them years by fucking you over with these add ons , at one point the majority will cave.
Today was only the first day of their future.
They dont want you to buy second hand. They dont want you to be able to share your games with others for free.
They want to control your games library.

They want to monitor your every move. This always online shit is all about collecting data of you.

No not a conspiracy. This is already happening.

And gaas is just an easy way to do so.

I bet the next consoles will only be digital. I mean even now they make you pay extra for old games through ps premium.

And xbox already took it a few steps further with gamepass. You see how barely anyine with an xbox buys games. They get it for free with their sub . And that croud is already conditioned to continue to do so.

the future ia dark and irreversable

DelireMan7

I'll continue to play my physical games on their platform of origin and play the new exclusive digitally if I have no other choice.

However, a digital only console will makes me think very carefully about buying it. Chances are high that I'll go for another console with physical support.

Sintoid

I can't see the reasony why PS6 could not be same as PS5 Pro with an external BD dock

The more we go ahead the less it's needed but in the meantime the road is well signed

Kupfer

When the PS6 becomes digital only I'll switch to Xbox, when both are digital only maybe I'm going to get my hands on a Switch 2 or back to PC gaming.
I have zero interest in a console that wants to tame me as a user to such an extent that I no longer have any control over my content.
At least you have "options" on the PC.

Elios83

I guess it will follow the PS5 Pro model, console will be digital but there will be the option to buy the disc drive as an add-on.
Physical is on its way out, at this point I'm already 95% digital with the 5% being some collectors editions.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Nobody is going to buy digital only consoles, just look at Christmas. People like to hold physical games in their hands when gifting etc.

The entire rest of the world outside of the US market is still significantly physical

Sony exists outside the US just like Nintendo, they will always offer the option for a disc drive

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
2nd Hand Market is still going strong in Japan.

Sony would have to make a conscious decision to abandon the Japanese Market in order to go full Digital.

So it's never going to happen in my opinion.

The Drive may continue to be an optional add on and physical releases might become rarer or premium (LRG releases etc) but I don't believe Sony will ever go full Digital.

Last edited:

Xevo

I can see Sony doing that to give physical players an illusion of choice, while restricting the supply of the disc drive

Why should they when they can simply price it at 200 bucks or something like that. In europe the optional drive ist already at 120 Euro / 132 USD so the path is pretty obvious, if people still want their shiny discs the will have to pay a hefty premium for it.

PaintTinJr

Sony probably can't see it with the way they've just announced the PlayStation 5 Pro Go and how it projects their intentions by failing to make the disc drive built-in as the default sku, but IMO this is the repeat of their Walkman DRM move that cost them the entire small media audio player market in under two years.

Ironically my youngest got her first music cd purchase, yesterday and even though I didn't realise, PS5's OS is so naff, even compared to tiny real-time PS2 OS, it can't even play an audio cd despite a natural expectation that UHD disc players are a feature superset of CD-audio, DVD-video and Bluray-Video, because the technology is built as a superset.

But with no means to freely rip existing games going forward on PlayStation, and move them to digital like an audio CD and no alternative physical medium sale method like USB stick/Cartridge - can easily see me move completely to Nintendo and wait for ports of multiplats - and no long term commitment to always have optical in the PlayStation system I could easily see many of us original PlayStation fans walk away and newer all-digital consumers be drawn to a competitor product temporarily and PlayStation die out like Walkman did with its Titanic iceberg and sunk before they knew it.

For the couple of pounds extra in BoM/shipping weight an optical drive costs I think their desire to upsell optical currently at 20,000 % before phasing them out is risker than they realise. All PlayStation buyers are not equal IMHO and alienating important day 1 buyers is betting the future of the farm.

Kupfer

Why should they when they can simply price it at 200 bucks or something like that. In europe the optional drive ist already at 120 Euro / 132 USD so the path is pretty obvious, if people still want their shiny discs the will have to pay a hefty premium for it.
I mean, on one hand, the disc-drive PS5 was €100 more than the digital version. On the other hand, they tied the new "external" disc drive to an internet connection, which makes the idea of preservation questionable and much less appealing.

They have expanded the standard of what a console with a disc drive should be with the PS5 by introducing a disc-less 'budget version'. Now, however, the standard has been reversed, so that the digital version is set as the new standard, and a disc drive is suddenly being sold as a 'premium' feature. This is a shift in perception and probably intended by Sony to push the digital market and, consequently, their profits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom