• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So physical PS5 game collectors... how yall feeling about PS6 potentially being digital-only?

Sw0pDiller

This tread is like asking pyromaniacs hoe they feel about the newest fire extinguishers.

HOW DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL?!

Lambogenie

As much as I like physical, the way games are updated constantly, it's made owning physical quite shit, in my personal experience. Outside of Switch, I almost actively avoid it for PS5. It's a tricky one, I still prefer it, I do, but only when the game is near end of life and has offline e.g. fighting games or some action game that gets it's last physical release.

bundylove

Everything is digital only. Even your disc games.
Without internet you cant play them. Such as you have to download certain part of the game and install it.

Sephimoth

The days of piracy are shrinking. There were no Denovo protected games released in 2024 that were cracked. And only a few released in 2023.

I read in a dark web form where pirates said they are not interested in cracking anymore due to two reasons :
1. Denovo is hard to crack 2. They say gaming as a service (Xbox GP, Ubi etc.) means there is no need to crack games.

The only smart option left in case of a digital-only future is to buy from stores like Steam and EPIC that offer deep discounts on games. PS and Xbox stores are not an attrative proposition in comparision. And I have planned for this in case all games become digital.
lol yeah I was just joking around really, but your points are valid

stn

If it doesn't play discs and isn't BC with PS4 and PS5, my excitement for it will definitely decrease.

My guess is that the PS6 will be released as one SKU with an optional disc drive for backward compatibility. It would be suicidal of Sony to do anything else in my opinion.

But if the PS6 was digital only then I'd likely not bother with it until it had been out a few years and there was a decent chance of picking up games for less than the obnoxious prices that new games sell for on the console's stores. The thing I love about PC, despite it being all digital, is the choice I have of where to buy games: often I get them significantly cheaper on sites like GreenManGaming and CDKeys.com versus Steam, Epic etc, plus there are freebies on the Epic Store and frequent sales on Steam etc. Consoles are locked into a much less flexible eco system.

Last edited:

Gee

Might go back to PC gaming if it’s digital only for PS6. How the PS5 Pro will be received might actually still have an impact on the PS6 strategy.

Expecting digital only for PS6 though, especially when I run the numbers on the amount of money I’ve saved simply by being a physical backlog gamer.

sainraja

Lets say 30% of casuals dont pick up the extra drive. It will just keep shrinking. Games will skip physical more often. Then soon none of your discs will work, probably on PS7. Digital will be all that carries forward.

PS6 disc drive optional at best.
PS7 zero chance it has any drive.
If you walk into a store today, the gaming sections are... depressing to see. =[

I think PS6 will digital standard with disc drive optional.
I think no disc drive option with the PS6. PS5 Pro will determine that. I guess it will depend on how many PS5 owners play physical right now.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just the GAAS they are missing reading the market and it'll backfire.

StereoVsn

Everything is digital only. Even your disc games.
Without internet you cant play them. Such as you have to download certain part of the game and install it.
This is false. Vast majority of PS4/PS5 games can absolutely be played and completed on disk without always online requirement. Are there patches and enhancements? Sure, but majority of games are ok without them.

One issue is that the new PS5 Disk requires online registration which is kind of shit, but the PS5 OG Casual Edition doesn’t so at least there is they.

Fabieter

I don't think it doesn't make that much sense releasing a console with optional disc drive because you wouldn't be able to calculate how many physical copies of a game should you print beforehand.

If they do a digital only console than it will be their downfall.

WoJ

If it has a detachable disc drive I'll get that because there's a few things I play that won't make their way to PC - NCAA football and MLB The Show notably. Otherwise I'm basically going PC at some point in the next few years.

GHound

I feel like they can suck my dick at that point.

Honestly I feel like they can suck my dick at this point, but they can go the extra mile and make it fancy under those conditions.

Last edited:
GXIcBehXcAA0hWe

bundylove

This is false. Vast majority of PS4/PS5 games can absolutely be played and completed on disk without always online requirement. Are there patches and enhancements? Sure, but majority of games are ok without them.

One issue is that the new PS5 Disk requires online registration which is kind of shit, but the PS5 OG Casual Edition doesn’t so at least there is they.
Yeah no. You will have to download a portion of the game on big titles.
Like jedi survivor

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
The moment any console ditches physical is the moment I stop buying them.

That said I’ve been saying this has been coming for years, once streaming is good enough there will be no reason to own a console as you own nothing anyway once physical has gone, digital titles are worthless.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess I'll keep my PS5 to play those games, like I've done with every other console I've ever owned except the PS4 (there wasn't really any point in keeping that around once I got a PS5).

They would be cutting off a huge part of the market. Lots of people still don't buy digital games. 30% of all their full games are physical sales. That's a huge ass market they will not ignore.

AmuroChan

I don't think it doesn't make that much sense releasing a console with optional disc drive because you wouldn't be able to calculate how many physical copies of a game should you print beforehand.

That shouldn't be a major issue for them. They have advanced sales algorithms that can estimate how many physical copies would sell based on trends and existing data. Also, Sony will have data on how many disc drives were sold and being used by PS6 owners.

simpatico

Gold Member
Digital only has to look like a financial touchdown to Sony. No manufacturing discs and cases, shipping, merchandising, retailer cut etc. Having complete control over their game market has to be on the wish list of everyone responsible for the finances at Playstation. You know they've paid people just to try and estimate how much they lost to gamestop over the years on used sales. I'm sure there's a baseline % they spitball around for an expected increase in lifetime sales per title. It's gotta be a massive number. No matter when they ditch the discs there's going to be outrage. They could just rip the bandaid off if they've got a good enough launch lineup. "Yeah kid I'm sure you've got principles but here's Uncharted 5 and Bloodborne 2."

Fbh

I already wanted to leave the Playstation ecosystem to go to PC, and this only reinforces it.
Ps6 will likely be some $700 digital only console with $80 games, $90 controllers and a $100 a year subscription for online play. No thx.

Last edited:

Sooner

That's why I went all digital with PS5. I won't have this issue. I wish I had started with PS4, honestly.

hinch7

No physical, no buy. I have a feeling the PS5 Pro is setting everyone up for an all digital PS6 though :/

Lest we may yet survive another generation with Sony nickel and diming everyone with optional (and sold seperately) disk drives. And pushing more of their users to digital downloads.

Last edited:

schaft0620

I feel sad, look at music, look at how fucked up it is.

The industry needs to learn from their mistakes.

Music has been totally devalued.

StereoVsn

Yeah no. You will have to download a portion of the game on big titles.
Like jedi survivor
Again, some titles - yes, over 80% of titles in disk, no.

And even with downloads there are major upsides in having a disk such as lower prices at launch if you live in EU/UK, ability to lend the disk to your friends, ability to sell it and more.

Top Bottom